Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy crap Scott - your FB contributions here are off the chart!

I don't know where to start - but the Namath is sweet - just to name one item that caught my eye.
    Mike
  • Options
    Now - I'm back to my small focus - 50s Sci-Fi/Horror lobby cards.

This is the centerpiece - my all-time favorite movie - This Island Earth - 1955.

And 2nd on my list and I'm really excited and proud to have - a lobby card from The Thing! 1951. The monster was played by James Arness - aka Marshall Dillon from Gunsmoke.

Mike
  • Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Mike,

Those lobby cards are off the charts!!. I LOVE classic Sci-Fi.... Them, The Black Scorpion, Tarantula, The Giant Mantis, It Came from Beneath the Sea, The Mole People, Creature From The Black Lagoon (all 3 movies) just to name a few. image

Got this one last week.

• Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    bump
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    It's been a while since I've added anything... If you want to know what "needs a collecting focus" looks like, here you go.

First up:

1955 Bowman Don Zimmer RC (got it from a board member, but I can't recall who...)

1954 Topps Moose Skowron

Topps Triple Threads Ben Sheets (Ben and I went to high school together... looks like he's done pitching...)

1977(ish) Topps/A&BC George Best.... my first George Best card

Former Tiger (and current Dodger prospect) Blake Dean autographed card. Blake's a good hitter, great kid, but makes Prince Fielder look like Keith Hernandez in the field...

Rookie cards of two great Canucks.... and Roberto Luongo

1952 Bowman Phil Cavaretta (from forum member Bunker.... Cavaretta was my dad's favorite Cub)

A couple 1962 OPC CFL cards of a couple BC Lions (these cards are small, about as wide as A&G minis, etc.)

1999 Upper Deck Dan Fouts Autograph (from user onebamafan, showing that not all Alabama fans are completely useless)

1986 Sportflics Barry Larkin (purchased from Sportlots the day before he got elected to the hall)

2010 Panini Threads Patrick Robinson autograph. I'm not convinced he has the skills to be a full time NFL corner, but we'll see.

Autographed card of former Tiger Ryan Schimpf

1951 Bowman Phil Rizzuto. Obviously condition is not the greatest, but it presents well, I think.

1956 Topps Moose Skowron (from Bunker)

1956 Topps Don Zimmer (also from Bunker)

1972 Sun soccer cards of Pele, Eusebio and Puskas (A&G mini sized). You've probably heard of Pele, but Eusebio and Puskas were renowned to have similar skill...

2003-04 SP Authentic David West Autograph RC. I was not super happy with the way West left New Orleans, but he's still one of the franchise's best, and the 99 cent price tag was tough to pass up...

Topps Co-Signers Autograph of former LSU DT Kyle Williams and Paul Posluszny. Kyle is probably the most under-rated DT in the NFL.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Let's all wish a happy 125th birthday to my three newest arrivals!

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Holy Cow! Those are amazing!!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my latest Killebrew!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few from today's mail for my '56 Football set.

imageimage
    imageimage

You can see the set in scans from the link below if interested.
  • Options
    these arrived yesterday
    Always nice to knock off a basic set auto I need even with a crease. The silver card has one of the best looking auto's in my collection right now.
    The team card is a Burger King
  • Options
    Got this today and could not be happier. I had a PSA 1 about two years ago and sold it to Mr. Spence and have regretted it since. Was able to upgrade a little with this one (2nd highest graded) and will be sure not to make the same mistake of selling it again.

• Options
    The Clipper tag is killer!
    Mike
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Stoney, great looking 56 set and congrats on the additions!!! image I loved the Toogood card. Bet guys had fun with that one.

Scott, glad you picked up an upgrade of the Joe D. tag. See, sometimes things happen for a reason. Just PM me if you get the urge to sell it again. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Best thread ever!

ssdawg77 - you are finding some great centered cards... no easy feat with 1956 Topps football.

hhmag70 - that tag is awesome and I don't know as if I have ever seen it before.

Snorto~
  • Options
    Couple of nice 8's
  • Options
    Really nice Catfish!
    Mike
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭
    Been a while since I have posted in this thread.

Slowly adding to the Alex Master set:

Happy with this one (also leaves me just two cards short of finishing the set):

And now down to 7 cards in this non sport offering:

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    WOW nice cards Halos, those Alex cards are Awesome!!!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    Super Chamberlain card!

Not in love with the baggie tho - but still incredible! Thanx for sharing.
    Mike
  • Options
    I have to say - this game was packaged better than any game I have ever purchased!

It was perfectly entombed in corrugated cardboard - pretty good for a game that I paid 9.99 for.

Now to the game - it looks to have never been played.

Strategy Manager Baseball - 1967 - Robert McGuffin.

To start with - the cover is in great shape:

and the game board is pristine!

At first - when looking at the inventory of parts - I didn't understand why only 1 yellow pawn?

After reading the instructions, it became crystal - the yellow pawn is used to keep track of the outs.

The mechanism is very simple - on the top - there are "Play Selections" - e.g. sacrifice fly. The manager who's batting selects a play and then rolls the dice which results in an outcome.

I paid 9.99 for the game - and based on the condition - a nice buy.

When I was 8, I was pretty simple minded - so this game fits me like a glove!

Just add in an RC and a moon pie and I'm in hog heaven!
    Mike
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>I have to say - this game was packaged better than any game I have ever purchased!

It was perfectly entombed in corrugated cardboard - pretty good for a game that I paid 9.99 for.

Now to the game - it looks to have never been played.

To start with - the cover is in great shape:

and the game board is pristine!

At first - when looking at the inventory of parts - I didn't understand why only 1 yellow pawn?

After reading the instructions, it became crystal - the yellow pawn is used to keep track of the outs.

The mechanism is very simple - on the top - there are "Play Selections" - e.g. sacrifice fly. The manager who's batting selects a play and then rolls the dice which results in an outcome.

I paid 9.99 for the game - and based on the condition - a nice buy.

When I was 8, I was pretty simple minded - so this game fits me like a glove!

Just add in an RC and a moon pie and I'm in hog heaven! >>

Whaaat?! There are still some games out there you don't have?? (jk) Glad to see you filling in some holes there, Mike.

Here's my most recent pickup:

imageimage
  • Options
    Hi Mike

There's plenty I don't have! Plenty.

Nice pickup!
    Mike
  • Options
    DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭
    Got this one in from Italy yesterday.

• Options

Recently started the Baseball Legends auto set

The Walter is a duplicate and I like it better than the one I have in my set

The Alex leaves me 2 cards shy of finishing off '93

The Stockton .. I like the triumvirate cards
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Halosfan,

Love the Gwynn ON CARD auto! Nice pick up!
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    While I read the new post on this thread every time I come to the board, I haven't had anything to post lately because I've been saving all my money for the National. So it's been a LONG time since I've purchased anything of significance. But this weekend I had to break into my National nest egg and make a purchase.

I went to the Ted Williams auction Saturday at Fenway. It was AMAZING to see all of the items that were for sale. Watching his MVP award sell for $260,000 was a rush, I can't imagine spending that kind of coin!

The prices were really strong and bids were fast and furious. I went with one lot in mind, but after seeing what items were selling for, I thought there would be no way I would win. But I stuck it out and waited until almost the end for the item I wanted to come up. And boy, was I glad I did.

I've always wanted a Ted Williams game used bat, but I'm fresh out of $50,000, so that ain't happening anytime soon. But they had a bat he used as a hitting instructor with the Red Sox in the early 80's that was estimated to be in a range I could afford. I thought it would blow way by that range as lots of other items did, but near the end of the auction, bids started slowing down, people made purchases early and left. So I think I got pretty lucky and was able to land this bat. Not exactly a game used bat, but it's still a bat owned and used by the man himself, Ted Williams.

Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    Great stuff, guys!

I look forward to joining in on this thread soon as well. I made my first pick up in quite a while just a few days ago. A pretty solid PSA 5, '59 Topps Aaron/Mathews Fence Busters card.
  • Options
    TedW .... that would have been a great event to be at and glad to see you got something nice too!
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    That is awesome. Just as good as game used, for my money. image
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    mgugs46mgugs46 Posts: 217 ✭✭
    Here is my recent mail day:

Looking for PSA HOF autos, PSA Vintage Red Sox and Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    Nice Doerr ... I always liked that release.

These giant player sets take a ton of time and hopefully this year I cross 50% (even though I would like it to be higher).

• Options
    waiting to send in a few subs ... this one is new today ...

I always liked this subset

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I've got nothing to share, but this thread should never be off the first page.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    picked up a couple of ryans and a mccovey recently.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    BasherBoyBasherBoy Posts: 510 ✭✭
    Not as nice as some of the other things in this thread, but picked up an upgrade for my 52 Topps Indians set (which I don't get to do very often) so it's always a big deal for me when I get one image

Need PSA Indians/Browns
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice cards guys. Really, really nice.
  • Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019

A couple of raw cards I bought way back when I was a kid.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    Ron, nice Nellie. 1963 is a sharp set imho.

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Thunderdan those Ryan's are somethin' else! Amazing.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>Ron, nice Nellie. 1963 is a sharp set imho. >>

thunderdan, I always had thought my mother had thrown my baseball cards away. I was at her house one day looking for something and ran across the cigar box in which I had them stored. There were maybe 200 total cards, all 61 and 63 Topps baseball, some Fleer 62 Baseball Greats, and a few football cards. None are in just fantastic condition since we didn't realize back then to keep them pristine.

Ron
  • Options
    thunderdan,

I always thought my mother had thrown my cards away but found them stashed away in a cigar box at her house. I have maybe 200 cards from then. All are 61 and 63 Topps baseball. Some 62 Fleer Baseball Greats and a few football cards. I wish we had known then to keep them in pack fresh shape.

Ron

Edited to add: I apologize for the double post here but must have been a glitch in the system and I didn't know either one of these posted the other night.
  • Options
    Sweet Ryans!

Picked these up the other day. Still looking for the Boon and Danahar in an 8 or 9 from that set. Still need to send in a sub or two myself.

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Wow, McCovey would look right at home in a 10 holder.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Thanks guys. Surprising that the pop could be this low on these cards, but they still are. They are all razor sharp.

I bought them from a friend, so my price isn't in VCP.

I've decided to list the 1974 Topps Ryan in PWCC's upcoming May auction.

• Options
    a couple more for the hockey auto set and once the Orr gets to Newport and back I will be 1 card shy of completing that set.

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    my newest '51 Topps, which brings my team set to 3/7. This was a $4 pickup (shipped) from a seller in Canada.

'51 Topps Dodger team set so far:

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    I've got to give 4 Sharp Corners credit--I bought this on Ebay at midnight Wednesday night/Thursday morning, and it arrived this afternoon. Usually their stuff takes 2-3 times as long to arrive. Unfortunately, despite featuring no fewer than four different photos of Darryl Sittler, for some reason it is not (yet) included in his PSA master set registry.
  • Options
    TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    Keep em coming! Eye candy.
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...