Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Hi Mike -

Thank you for the compliment. I am very happy with the 2002 Jeter card.

For me my favorite heritage year is 2004 I love the design. The only problem is I can't seem to find a gem copy of the only card I really want from the set. Ha ha. 2007 and 2008 does have its issues with centering and chipping. image I have a mint 2007 Jeter and still looking for the gem copy of course. The 2008 Jeter I have a psa 10 but I am not thrilled with the centering on the one I have. One day I will be replacing it.

Tim
  • Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ToneD, very nice Aaron. Congrats!!!

I noticed that the flip indicates "White Name". Is that more rare? Do you know what the other variation is? Just curious.

Thanks. >>

Thanks Mike,

After collecting pre-war for quite some time now, I'm really enjoying mid grade 50's cards with nice eye appeal. Much easier on the budget too. image The '58 Aaron came in two variations. A white letter name, more common, and a yellow name. Thanks again.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    I haven't checked in here of late, but wanted to add a new favorite of mine. My first card of "Ol' Hoss" - the man who had 59 wins in 1884!

Check his career numbers - these are insane!

Ol' Hoss stats

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superb Hoss!

Thanx for sharing and taking the time to link his stats.
    Mike
  • Options
    Big80s - those are some great cards !

I love the chocolate cards - both Jucosa and Amatllier sets are hard to find.

Here is mine: the all-time leading scorer for FC Barcelona - Paulino Alcantara. with all the great names in Barca's history (Ronaldo, Maradona, Cryuff, Messi), this guy was fantastic. I love the art of these cards.

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Big80s - those are some great cards !

I love the chocolate cards - both Jucosa and Amatllier sets are hard to find.

Here is mine: the all-time leading scorer for FC Barcelona - Paulino Alcantara. with all the great names in Barca's history (Ronaldo, Maradona, Cryuff, Messi), this guy was fantastic. I love the art of these cards.

image >>

Thanks, man! I agree - the old chocolate sets are really tough to find in good condition. BTW - very cool card here, as well!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    Great Radbourn Scott!

Finally found a simple, uncluttered version,
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Steve - that's an awesome-looking Ruth!!
  • Options
    Superb Ruth auto!

Congratulations - that would be the centerpiece of anyones collection!!!!

Mike
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    I just got this in today....a real tough card to find...

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice way to end the week today. From board member Tennesseebanker I bought what I think is Jackie's coolest card. I have never seen this card in person and now I own it. Yes!

• Options
    I agree Doug.

Very nice!

Mike
  • Options

I picked this "original" pen & ink comic strip artwork up from ebay Lelands...

The name of the strip is Hook Slider - this "daily" dates to 4/4/1955 - McNaught Syndicate, Inc. - by Bob Sherry. It's 18x7" - so part is cut off.

I couldn't find any info about the comic strip - I found a small reference to it being "short lived" and a person possessing some of the correspondence on the making of the strip. Have no idea which newspapers ran the comic strip either.

McNaught Syndicate, Inc., did run some strips I heard of - like Joe Palooka, Heathcliff, Charlie Chan, Donald Duck e.g.
    Mike
  • Options
    great to see this thread still going. A LOT has been posted since i contributed to this thread and literally took me an hour just to go through all those posts.
  • Options
    From my goal to pick up Saturday Matinee Sci-Fi/Horror movies of the 50s:

Conquest of Space - saw this movie when I was really young!

The Man who Turned to Stone - have to confess - never saw it - looks kinda "campy"

Mike
  • Options
    My first post on Mail Call...

It was a good week for my '55 Topps set image

Chad
    1955 Topps is done!
    working on 1956 Topps in PSA 6-7
  • Options
    Super cards - two icons from the set!

I have to confess - I don't have the Clemente - would like to.

Thanx for sharing.
    Mike
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An upgrade to my 55 set although not as nice an upgrade as Chads.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
  • Options
    PlanemonkeyPlanemonkey Posts: 543 ✭✭
    Few new ones
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    image Very Nice Hunters. I always liked that 1970 Catfish.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    very nice carmel card.

Just got my mail - added two more 1938 Union Konig cards from German League.

I have 4 more cards coming. I don't know if I'll ever complete this set, but I am certainly going to try !
  • Options
    Very nice Carmel card !

Here is my lastest mail - 2 more cards from the 1938 Union Konig set. One Schalke player and one Eintracht ....

I have 4 more cards coming ... I don't know if I will ever finish the set, but I'm gonna try like hell.
  • Options
    Great additions guys!

I know nothing about that German set - a little bio would be cool.
    Mike
  • Options
    great CJ Cicotte back there!

Early granpas-day gifts;
  • Options
    Superb cards!

When a 3 looks like that? Who needs better!!!

I like it.
    Mike
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    1960s Cracker Jack Baseball Pinball Machine Toy

imageimage
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    It's been a good past few weeks for my NFL HOF Rookies set and with this group I finally hit the 2/3rd mark:

imageimage

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

imageimage

I also picked up a Tom Landy rookie for my 1951 Bowman set:

Next up a Walter Payton signed Wheaties box numbered to only 93 signed and certified by PSA/DNA:

And lastly a true rarity, a Rawlings WFL prototype football they produced in pursuit of the contract that Spalding eventually won to become the offical manufacturer for the World Footabll League in 1974. This piece is definitely the highlight of my defunct football league memorabilia collection:

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Snorto~
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I just got this card in the mail. I'm pretty excited as this is a really tough issue.

1912 T227 Series of Champions

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound...That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

-t206
    -e90-1
    -e95
    -m116
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    The last of the worth anything 2001 UD Graded Jersey Cards I needed...now if I can find a 9 Michael Bennett to complete the set. All the ebay one's are 8.5 and there are 110 9's (& 2 10's) out there so I will try to wait a couple months for one to pop up. (I also need a pop 73 9.5 Koren Robinson upgrade.)

The Tomlinson is a pop 17 so somewhat rare. His cards seem to have went back up (they were somewhat cheap for a little while after leaving SD).

imageimage

Also, found this dealer sheet offered on ebay...didnt buy it (I think they want like $30 or something crazy), but found it interesting. I guess they were suppose to be SGC graded (like the 2000 set) at first.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Bought the Post on ebay a few weeks back, toughie to get centered but upgraded the one I had. Other two recent '55 and '56 upgrades are from board members that offered a good price. Doug

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Nice LT card Mark!!! Maybe all those Jets fans are bringing the prices back up.

Doug, very nice high grade pickups!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    FINALLY after 5 years of searching!!!

"A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I gave this its own thread, but wanted to include it in the forum's monster mail thread, as well...

Check out what I got in the mail late last week. My amazing fiance sent a wedding invite to Will, who replied and sent his own card, too. I really like that he didn't use his signature on the response card, but rather wrote his name. This will certainly be one of the highlights for my collection.

Opening the envelope was also pretty awesome. My fiance was pretty confused at first and asked "who do we know in Louisiana?" When I showed it to her she couldn't stop jumping up and down. When she finally did, she exclaimed, "it's a one of one!"

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Got these from a group sub and also picked up a nice PSA 10 for my HOF rookie set from FightOldDC.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Haiku’s are easy
    But sometimes don’t make sense
    Refrigerator
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Found this RC on ebay with a $7.00 BIN with free shipping. Not sure why the seller had it so cheap.

imageimage
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Got Pete in the mail today. Upper left corner ding and centering not the best but the color is great. How's that for finding a silver lining? 11 away from completing 1 thru 311 in the set with 69 cards graded. Doug

• Options
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Picked this up for $10 today at an antique mall in Franklin, Tennessee near my home:

This is a helmet bank that was given away in in the 1970's by several local banks that I had when I was a kid. However, a childhood friend managed to break my original one about 35 years ago!

I just happened upon this today by pure chance and I am thrilled to get it. image

Robert
  • Options

<< <i>I just happened upon this today by pure chance and I am thrilled to get it. >>

That's super! I found a few toys on ebay that I had as a kid. Always cool to find something like that. Congratulations.
    Mike
  • Options
    Go Big Orange!!image
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Just got this in tonight. Dahlen's a tough get in both T206 and T205. As we all know, these cards were inserted in cigarette packs. Unfortunately, at some recent point this card came from a heavy smoker's house. The bubble wrap and the card itself reek. I spoke with the seller (without asking the board what to do... GASP) and he's a former smoker with a sinus problem, so he apparently didn't notice the smell. Seemed like a pretty cool dude, so that's the end of that. I'll air it out or Febreeze it or something.

Oh well, I'm still pretty darn excited to cross this one off the list. I'll try to get a scan up of the T205 Brooklyn Superba set in progress. I just need one card to finish up, and it's a very tough card - Irvin Wilhelm.

• Options
    Congratulations Geordie!

On the smoke thing - I read where you can take cedar chips - ya get them in the pet dept. - place the card in a baggy with the chips.
    Mike
  • Options
    Picked this one up this past week for a reasonable price

Haiku’s are easy
    But sometimes don’t make sense
    Refrigerator
  • Options
    Here are my latest pick ups. couldn't pass on the 68 SGC for around 20 bucks.
    The 71 coin looks pretty rough not what I was expecting from an 8. Not sure if the case was compromised or what.