Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay Just Ended My 2011 ASE Anniversary Set Auction...

Comments

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I listed mine this morning and it was nuked before lunch. So I listed it on my site! It bugs me, though, that hundreds of sets have sold and every one was a presale.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sellers who have completed these and received payment are receiving emails from ebay to refund and cancel the sale, or they will not be allowed to sell in the furure. I had purchased and paid for a pre-sale at $419 and it will be refunded.image >>

If those refunds are going back to a credit card it can take up to 30 days for credit to be posted to the card. This affects buyers who are near their limit, they have to wait for the credit to get posted before charging another large purchase. I just went through it on a 6K credit card purchase/refund through paypal. Appears paypal likes to take their time giving it back even though paypal details page tells you it has been refunded.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>I listed mine this morning and it was nuked before lunch. So I listed it on my site! It bugs me, though, that hundreds of sets have sold and every one was a presale. >>

I'm seeing over 1,500 completed sales on these sets.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>Sellers who have completed these and received payment are receiving emails from ebay to refund and cancel the sale, or they will not be allowed to sell in the furure. I had purchased and paid for a pre-sale at $419 and it will be refunded.image >>

Are you sure it is real or the seller just want to sell at a higher price?

The reason I doubt the validity is that I also purchased several ebay pre-sale from different sellers, and none of them have informed me such request.

Have you requested to get the copy of the email from ebay?
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options

<< <i>

The reason I doubt the validity is that I also purchased several ebay pre-sale from different sellers, and none of them have informed me such request.

Have you requested to get the copy of the email from ebay? >>

I wonder how many sellers/flippers have already spent the money on other sets they found cheaper.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SouthPark should do an episode on this.....

Instead of "they stole our jobs!" it could be "They wouldn't let me pre-sale flip!"

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Have you requested to get the copy of the email from ebay? >>

Seller said he would forward the email when he got off work, we shall see.
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>Interesting that Ebay has made a special one-time decision not to allow presales on this item only. They think they are being smart but I guarantee they understand a lot less than they think they do. They are always lobbied by emotional and profit driven sellers and buyers who give them one side of the story.

I wonder if they are nuking completed auctions. I've had that happen to me before and on every occasion the buyer chose to carry on with the sale outside of ebay so I saved the fees. Once the auction is over you have each other's contact info.

--Jerry >>

This is nothing new, Ebay did the same thing with the 2006 3-piece Gold Anniv sets, which also sold out in approx 20 hours.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting that Ebay has made a special one-time decision not to allow presales on this item only. They think they are being smart but I guarantee they understand a lot less than they think they do. They are always lobbied by emotional and profit driven sellers and buyers who give them one side of the story.

I wonder if they are nuking completed auctions. I've had that happen to me before and on every occasion the buyer chose to carry on with the sale outside of ebay so I saved the fees. Once the auction is over you have each other's contact info.

--Jerry >>

I'm guessing the 2010 ATB puck madness is partially responsible.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

--Jerry >>

This is nothing new, Ebay did the same thing with the 2006 3-piece Gold Anniv sets, which also sold out in approx 20 hours. >>

or perhaps this image
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭

<< <i>

Did ebay include you in those emails? Did just the seller tell you that?
    Are you sure the seller isn't making it up since that is a low price and they know they can re-sell for a lot more now? >>

This has to be a lie, Ebay would at least send the buyer and seller an email voiding the transaction. it would not be one sided.

and possbile automatically refund to the buyer.

just like when you are bidding on an auction, and ebay cancels it, each bidder gets an email. make sure he forwards and not copy and paste, you can view the internet header of the email and see the source servers routing the email.
  • Options
    good point.

I'd think if an auction was cancelled by eBay both sides would be notified.

furthermore, I'd be asking why this does not show up:

This listing (260#########) has been removed, or this item is not available.

•Please check that you've entered the correct item number
    •Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago will not be available for viewing.

• Options
    Ebay never fails to amaze me, canceling presales without any notification on their website that they are not allowing the presales of the 25th set, some people getting to sell while others are not allowed. I would be surprised if ebay forced people to refund the presales that have already occured as Ebay's sale fees are already in their pocket, but that is the fair thing to do.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

You got screwed. Ebay thinks they are trying to protect buyers but in many cases they are doing just the opposite. Presales are a guess by a seller and a buyer what the proper price is. In some cases the presale price is too low, in some cases too high. By cancelling your sale, they have released the seller from an obligation to sell at that price.

You should call ebay and complain. They need to hear that side of the story.

--Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>SouthPark should do an episode on this.....

Instead of "they stole our jobs!" it could be "They wouldn't let me pre-sale flip!"

image >>

You do realize that many presellers sold too cheap and ebay has now let them out of their binding contract. So the subtitle should be "I sold too cheap but now I get a second chance."

--Jerry
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    If all the presales were cancelled (even ones that ended) it's up in the air what these are going to do in-hand. What do you think? High or low?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If all the presales were cancelled (even ones that ended) it's up in the air what these are going to do in-hand. What do you think? High or low? >>

That's a good hypothetical question. Does anyone have them "in hand" yet ?
  • Options

In the past ebay just nuked the auctions and refunded the fees and then sent me and the buyer an email that the sale had been cancelled. In this case, since the auctions are still showing in completed sales, then they aren't doing that. I would expect they are getting a lot of complaints from buyers (who they think they are trying to protect).

However, if the buyer and seller are still happy, they can agree to cancel the sale and do it off ebay. This happened to me during the great ebay "improvement" in coin sale rules a couple of years ago. I had many auctions nuked while ebay drones tried to figure out what their own new rules meant. Often the sale got nuked after I had already shipped. In every case the sale stood and I got my fees back.

In this case, (if I were a preseller with a completed auction), I would send the buyer an email offering to continue the agreed sale at a discounted price of perhaps 3-6% off to share the fee savings. I would refund the ebay payment and send them a new invoice spelling out the new terms.

--Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>

--Jerry >>

This is nothing new, Ebay did the same thing with the 2006 3-piece Gold Anniv sets, which also sold out in approx 20 hours. >>

Are you sure? I don't remember that and I was actively trading the 2006 3 pc set. --Jerry
  • Options
    gyromacgyromac Posts: 213 ✭✭
    lol...

ebay is trying to be like those regulators who think they can make a difference...

perfect example....remember when the SEC banned short sales of the major BANKS/FINANCIALS....didn't work.... they still kept falling like stones right after they lifted the ban....

personally i think this just underpins the $675/$700 level and gives it reason to go higher...no market now...

the stakes just went UP and some idiot will push the button for a ridiculous number when ebay resumes and the remaining inventory will base their price off that sale.

jmho

• Options

<< <i>If all the presales were cancelled (even ones that ended) it's up in the air what these are going to do in-hand. What do you think? High or low? >>

the list of completed auctions continues to grow.

I am not seeing those cancelled.

Someone bought the 5 set "I poorly photoshopped the picture on a table" sets!!!!

1,000+ ended auctions with most show GREEN and Complete.

• Options

<< <i>lol...

ebay is trying to be like those regulators who think they can make a difference...

perfect example....remember when the SEC banned short sales of the major BANKS/FINANCIALS....didn't work.... they still kept falling like stones right after they lifted the ban....

personally i think this just underpins the $675/$700 level and gives it reason to go higher...no market now...

the stakes just went UP and some idiot will push the button for a ridiculous number when ebay resumes and the remaining inventory will base their price off that sale.

jmho >>

After a while, I think those $3000 for a set of 5 BINs are going to hold back th singles auctions.

Also, I think there will be a lot of newb BINs for under market price that will slow price growth.

It seems to me that many are not researching their BIN prices well.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I think BINs are getting sold before feebay can nuke 'em so the completed list grows slowly.

I just looked at the '2011 a25' search phrase again. All listings are BIN and less than an hour old.

"2011 american eagle 25th anniversary silver coin set" shows two goofy listing for NGC 70 single coins and the remaining 3 listings are BIN and less than an hour old.

Whether feebay is acting on completed listings, I don't know.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

--Jerry >>

Are you sure? I don't remember that and I was actively trading the 2006 3 pc set. --Jerry >>

Yes I'm sure.

Link
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what it's worth dep't.: Ebay told me they would notify the buyers and give the buyers the option of backing out.
  • Options
    gyromacgyromac Posts: 213 ✭✭
    look at what ebay has accomplished....

with a limited number of sets "escaping" EBAY SHUT ME DOWN POLICE.....the price has now eclipsed $700 and is pushing higher....

see...economics 101 works.....limit the supply the price goes up...

way to go ebay!!!!
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I was just looking at a few auctions and some BIN, there is an auction at $730 and less than a day to go and a BIN for only $719.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

--Jerry >>

Are you sure? I don't remember that and I was actively trading the 2006 3 pc set. --Jerry >>

Yes I'm sure.

Link >>

I kindo remember now that I was never convinced they were ending them for being presales but for some other reason (ebay has a million of them). --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>For what it's worth dep't.: Ebay told me they would notify the buyers and give the buyers the option of backing out. >>

That is totally ridiculous. Those who bought cheap will hold the sellers' feet to the fire while those who didn't are free to shop around for a better deal and if they find it back out. Another poorly thought out ebay decision. --Jerry
  • Options
    Lots of weak hands holding these....buying on credit. If they can't presell they will hit the bay ASAP once they ship. I predict an initial bump when they hit the market followed by a flood and a crash and then a slow rebound. Who knows, maybe the rebound is the place to be.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    If the mint would stop farting around with getting these shipped, and a guy got a quick turn around from PCGS, graded sets before xmas would do well on feebay.
  • Options
    bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For what it's worth dep't.: Ebay told me they would notify the buyers and give the buyers the option of backing out. >>

I highly doubt that
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Lots of weak hands holding these....buying on credit. If they can't presell they will hit the bay ASAP once they ship. I predict an initial bump when they hit the market followed by a flood and a crash and then a slow rebound. Who knows, maybe the rebound is the place to be. >>

Well, the place to be certainly isn't in the flood...image
  • Options

<< <i>Lots of weak hands holding these....buying on credit. If they can't presell they will hit the bay ASAP once they ship. I predict an initial bump when they hit the market followed by a flood and a crash and then a slow rebound. Who knows, maybe the rebound is the place to be. >>

But think about the buyers who have $1500 in debt (plus possible grading fees). They will MORE than make up any interest paid from floating a balance on their card(s).
  • Options
    stunning that eBay has no 24/7/365 department out there taking down any and all auctions they deem "problems."

fraud, etc doesn't take a vacation.....

• Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    I think E-Bay just poofed all of the 25th anniversary sets for sale.
    I was just looking at the number of sets for sale and
    left for a bit, came back and refreshed the page and poof .... all gone.

LQQK HERE
  • Options
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I just went there and there were 4 sets on there. I clicked into each and they were all deleted. Pretty fast work!
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, all gone now!
  • Options
    $4,200 OBO....

5 total sets of completely unopened 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Sets (5 coins per set) that I ordered from the U.S. Mint before they were sold out on October 27, 2011. One set will be in the original mint shipping box and the other 4 will be in another mint shipping box separately.

in other owrds, I'll sell for what I think is stupid money... I'm surprised at the number of "sealed boxes" out there. It just makes me think there are a lot of board lurkers out there trying to score on the next hot release.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

spoken like a true commodities trader..once prices start to fall there will be a mad rush to sell
  • Options

Classof67:

I did not check my ebay account for a couple of days. I just found out that one seller sent me an message on Nov 3 with the same excuse.
    And on top of that, today, he told me that he was short 5 sets because the US Mint cancelled one of his order.
    You know what, I got a couple messages within the last 2 days from ebay regarding his listing was cancelled because of the violation of the pre-sales.

It is very simple that this dishonest seller is just trying to cancel the lower price pre-sales and resell at a higher price.
    I will send you a PM and see if the seller is the same person.
  • Options

<< <i>$4,200 OBO....

5 total sets of completely unopened 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Sets (5 coins per set) that I ordered from the U.S. Mint before they were sold out on October 27, 2011. One set will be in the original mint shipping box and the other 4 will be in another mint shipping box separately.

in other owrds, I'll sell for what I think is stupid money... I'm surprised at the number of "sealed boxes" out there. It just makes me think there are a lot of board lurkers out there trying to score on the next hot release. >>

Listing removed!
  • Options

<< <i>

Classof67:

I did not check my ebay account for a couple of days. I just found out that one seller sent me an message on Nov 3 with the same excuse.
    And on top of that, today, he told me that he was short 5 sets because the US Mint cancelled one of his order.
    You know what, I got a couple messages within the last 2 days from ebay regarding his listing was cancelled before of the violation of the pre-sales.

It is very simple that this dishonest seller is just trying to cancel the lower price pre-sales and resell at a higher price.
    I will send you a PM and see if the seller is the same person. >>

Can you leave a neg??
  • Options

<< <i>

Can you leave a neg?? >>

I could, but I rather want my 2 set at $425/@

This order was placed the night before the set went on sales.
  • Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...but I rather want my 2 set at $425/@

This order was placed the night before the set went on sales. >>

Does the auction number show as valid or do you get the blue box 'listing removed..." box?

If the auction still shows a valid, then he is still on the hook for the FVF's. Granted it is around $60, but at least it will hurt a bit...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...but I rather want my 2 set at $425/@

This order was placed the night before the set went on sales. >>

Does the auction number show as valid or do you get the blue box 'listing removed..." box?

If the auction still shows a valid, then he is still on the hook for the FVF's. Granted it is around $60, but at least it will hurt a bit... >>

Auction still valid.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Ebay is busy again this morning. All pre-sell auctions are gone.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ebay is busy again this morning. All pre-sell auctions are gone. >>

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file