Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay Just Ended My 2011 ASE Anniversary Set Auction...

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like Sponge Bob.

-Keith >>

I love this place because of guys like you.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spongebob rocks, I have probably seen 100 different episodes and it never gets old.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebay pre sale prices have peaked and are now coming down.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>Ebay pre sale prices have peaked and are now coming down. >>

That's what it looks like. 400+sets are washing the bay. Sunday can be a great day to sell but not always if there are a lot of the same item floating around out there.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>

That's what it looks like. 400+sets are washing the bay. Sunday can be a great day to sell but not always if there are a lot of the same item floating around out there. >>

Those that didn't get immediate payment will end up in dispute. Buyers will back out and buy lower.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>I see no reason to report people for presales - I don't know why some feel it's their job to police everyone. If you're not interested, move on. Geez! >>

I feel no compulsion to report pre-sales but when I spot egregious examples of eBay selling policy violations, I generally will report them.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How many sets I'm preselling is my business and not yours.

A public ebay auction is not private business. >>

Nothing was said about it being "private" but its still "his" business and not someone elses.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

That's what it looks like. 400+sets are washing the bay. Sunday can be a great day to sell but not always if there are a lot of the same item floating around out there. >>

Those that didn't get immediate payment will end up in dispute. Buyers will back out and buy lower. >>

Possibly.

The 2006 20th Anniversary Sets with a mintage of 250,000 have dropped dramatically in price as well. image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>but its still "his" business and not someone elses. >>

Can I quote you on this as well

• Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Those that didn't get immediate payment will end up in dispute. Buyers will back out and buy lower. >>

Possibly.

The 2006 20th Anniversary Sets with a mintage of 250,000 have dropped dramatically in price as well. image >>

Personally I think people getting screwed now on ebay (buyers) will ultimately end up paying a little more if they have to once coins are in hand and they are buying something real...for a while at least. Anyone else think this too? Or is the price on a downhill from here?
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Personally I think people getting screwed now on ebay (buyers) will ultimately end up paying a little more if they have to once coins are in hand and they are buying something real...for a while at least. Anyone else think this too? Or is the price on a downhill from here? >>

Creating a bottom now. Uphill from here into xmas.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Personally I think people getting screwed now on ebay (buyers) will ultimately end up paying a little more if they have to once coins are in hand and they are buying something real...for a while at least. Anyone else think this too? Or is the price on a downhill from here? >>

Creating a bottom now. Uphill from here into xmas. >>

Ya, that's what I was thinking. And then after Christmas finding a plateau
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 2006 20th Anniversary Sets with a mintage of 250,000 have dropped dramatically in price as well. >>

I wish all my coins "would drop as dramatically" withing a 5 year period.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Am I seeing this right? One set $2,295. This pre-sale should have been yanked. Receipt looks fake. Slycat name alone would have been enough to scare me off.

Ebay item # 250921427817
  • Options

<< <i>Am I seeing this right? One set $2,295. This pre-sale should have been yanked. Receipt looks fake. Slycat name alone would have been enough to scare me off.

Ebay item # 250921427817 >>

His 383XXXXX order number could easily put him on the waiting list.

buyer has low feedback. Maybe somebody got smart and opened an alt account just to buy these up and never pay. image

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Am I seeing this right? One set $2,295. This pre-sale should have been yanked. Receipt looks fake. Slycat name alone would have been enough to scare me off.

Ebay item # 250921427817 >>

His 383XXXXX order number could easily put him on the waiting list.

buyer has low feedback. Maybe somebody got smart and opened an alt account just to buy these up and never pay. image >>

That would be hilarious! haha
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are now over 300 listings for ::

2011 American Eagle 25th Anniversary Silver set*
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    levinlllevinll Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    If Ebay are pulling these how come ones are still appearing on Ebay as well as ones that recently closed (in excess of $2900) ???

How hard is it for a tech company to pull them all at once rather than wait for someone to report the auction ? Gezz...
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Ebay is doing nothing about these listings so it does no good to report them. You are just wasting your time.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ebay is doing nothing about these listings so it does no good to report them. You are just wasting your time. >>

How much would eBay get in fees if 500 of these listings get completed?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    In essence, it looks like there will be a few thousand short sells against this set, of course, the need to cover won't be as stringent as for stocks, but ultimately, the net effect will probably be to put upward price pressure on the set for at least a little while.
  • Options

<< <i>Ebay is doing nothing about these listings so it does no good to report them. You are just wasting your time. >>

I have to think eBay stopped... I don't know why.

It's pretty lame for them to start something and not follow through ON THEIR OWN without needing "reports". The need for reports seems totally bogus since eBay allows pre-sales and these fall under the 30 day window so far.... the only way anyone knows eBay changed track on these is because of word of mouth and not by anything eBay is doing.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

I have to think eBay stopped... I don't know why.

It's pretty lame for them to start something and not follow through ON THEIR OWN without needing "reports". The need for reports seems totally bogus since eBay allows pre-sales and these fall under the 30 day window so far.... the only way anyone knows eBay changed track on these is because of word of mouth and not by anything eBay is doing. >>

They did send out nasty grams to the chosen few whose auctions got pulled last week so they did do something but its a hollow one-time policy as they are not following through. Its a pretty lame company IMO mostly concerned with their bottom line and not what might be in the best interest of their customers - both buyers and sellers.
  • Options
    there were over 300 active last night or the night before.

now there are 8

nothing like consistency, huh?
  • Options

<< <i>there were over 300 active last night or the night before.

now there are 8

nothing like consistency, huh? >>

Thursday is smackdown day. I think Joey the Smackdowner comes in today. No doubt they will be back in force this weekend as Joey works part time.
  • Options
    Ahhh..... the fine print

The picture is of me showing the set to my friend Ben, to meet eBay posting requirements.

The US Mint is shipping 11/10, and I will ship as soon as I receive the set.

Is that Dana "Ben" Carvey???
  • Options

now there are 8

back up to 21... some sellers are just asking to be NARUD.
  • Options

<< <i>

now there are 8

back up to 21... some sellers are just asking to be NARUD. >>

We can only hope. Some of these presellers are absolute robots.
  • Options
    Over 30 & rising....
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Ahhh..... the fine print

The picture is of me showing the set to my friend Ben, to meet eBay posting requirements. >>

image >>

at least they put some creativity into it.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    That pre-sale is just a memory.....image

Oh...there are still 51 pre-sales as of 0845
  • Options
    Back up over 70 presale auctions. Its presell weekend - should be like 400 auctions in no time.
  • Options
    Has ebay explained somewhere on their site what they are doing and why they are banning the presales, anyone have a link to the page? I have searched ebay and could not find an explanation
  • Options

<< <i>Has ebay explained somewhere on their site what they are doing and why they are banning the presales, anyone have a link to the page? I have searched ebay and could not find an explanation >>

This is an email I got from ebay because I had communicated with the seller who's item was removed.

"

Dear xxxxxx,

The following listing(s) has been removed and all associated fees have been credited to your account:

2807xxxxxxx - 2011 Silver American Eagle 25TH Anniversary Set★ Graded E.R MS69 NGC★

Because the 2011 25TH SILVER EAGLE ANNIVERSARY SET is in such high demand, requirements have been put in place for 2011 25TH SILVER EAGLE ANNIVERSARY SET sales. It has been reported that the MINT sold out of these within 5 hours. We understand that some sellers on eBay could have potentially placed their order in time, however we request that these coins are not listed unless they are in the physical possession of the seller. The strict requirement of not listing the item until you have it in your possession also applies to sellers with confirmed orders. Please wait until the Anniversary set is in your physical possession before listing it for sale.

We also suggest the following:

- The listing needs to include a unique photo of the item or items, and your User ID needs to be clearly shown in the picture (watermarks will not be accepted).

- To ensure buyer protection, PayPal needs to be the only accepted form of payment.

We understand that you may not have known about these requirements. However, please note that future violations may result in a range of actions, including listing cancellation, limits on account privileges, account suspension, forfeiture of eBay fees on canceled listings, and loss of PowerSeller status.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Sincerely,

eBay Trust & Safety team"
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options

<< <i>Has ebay explained somewhere on their site what they are doing and why they are banning the presales, anyone have a link to the page? I have searched ebay and could not find an explanation >>

read the original post to the thread. Nothing posted on the site that I'm aware of. Besides if it was how would you know about it. Navigating their site looking for information is like driving in L.A.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    Thanks, Revold and Derry, who would have ever thought of reading the first post in a threadimage Very true about finding information on ebay, such a pain

• Options
    What the hell is going on at Ebay. There is only 7 listings for the sets. There seems to be some massive nuking of auctions going on right now
  • Options
    Just ebay search '2011 a25' and see how many are still listed
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    ebay/paypal probably fear a lot of scamming. Don't know.
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What the hell is going on at Ebay. There is only 7 listings for the sets. There seems to be some massive nuking of auctions going on right now >>

I'm sitting on the sidelines on this one, LMAO.

In a year or so, when silver settles at around $20, I'll buy a set for my grandson @ around bullion price.

JMHO, of course; and I am wrong a lot.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What the hell is going on at Ebay. There is only 7 listings for the sets. There seems to be some massive nuking of auctions going on right now >>

I'm sitting on the sidelines on this one, LMAO.

In a year or so, when silver settles at around $20, I'll buy a set for my grandson @ around bullion price.

JMHO, of course; and I am wrong a lot.image >>

I've been buying all the 2006's 20th sets at bullion prices, total so far is 0
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Sellers who have completed these and received payment are receiving emails from ebay to refund and cancel the sale, or they will not be allowed to sell in the furure. I had purchased and paid for a pre-sale at $419 and it will be refunded.image
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    Is Ebay cancelling sales that have already taken place? (and refunding their fees LOL)

Edit, answer posted while I was writing the question, I am amazed, this is going to be interesting in a few weeks when they are in hand. Predictions on price when a thousand sets hit the bay?
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    VERY Active nuking going on right now.

'2011 a25' returned 4 listings, than 3, than 2, than 1

'2011 25th anniversary silver eagle set" returned 10, than 4 listings
  • Options
    wow the plot thickens. Glad I didn't jump out there. Sure was tempted a time or two.
  • Options

<< <i>Sellers who have completed these and received payment are receiving emails from ebay to refund and cancel the sale, or they will not be allowed to sell in the furure. I had purchased and paid for a pre-sale at $419 and it will be refunded.image >>

I think when the bow wave of sets hit ebay there will be some deals slipping thru the cracks. Might be able to get sets for less than $419 for a time. Also, the people that bought them with real weak hands may have to cancel some buys if they cant presale, perhaps more coming out to those on the waiting list.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>Navigating their site looking for information is like driving in L.A. >>

post of the day! image

although its more like the e.bay area, in heavy fog.
    so many 1 way streets with no way back.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Interesting that Ebay has made a special one-time decision not to allow presales on this item only. They think they are being smart but I guarantee they understand a lot less than they think they do. They are always lobbied by emotional and profit driven sellers and buyers who give them one side of the story.

I wonder if they are nuking completed auctions. I've had that happen to me before and on every occasion the buyer chose to carry on with the sale outside of ebay so I saved the fees. Once the auction is over you have each other's contact info.

--Jerry
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sellers who have completed these and received payment are receiving emails from ebay to refund and cancel the sale, or they will not be allowed to sell in the furure. I had purchased and paid for a pre-sale at $419 and it will be refunded.image >>

Did ebay include you in those emails? Did just the seller tell you that?
    Are you sure the seller isn't making it up since that is a low price and they know they can re-sell for a lot more now?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file