Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay Just Ended My 2011 ASE Anniversary Set Auction...

Just got this message from eBay:

We're pleased to have you as part of the eBay Community. However, the following listing(s) were removed and all fees have been credited to your account:

230692910593 - 2011 American Eagle 25th Anniversary Silver Coin Set (A25) ASE PRESALE

Because the 2011 25TH SILVER EAGLE ANNIVERSARY SET is in such high demand, requirements have been put in place for 2011 25TH SILVER EAGLE ANNIVERSARY SET sales. It has been reported that the MINT sold out of these within 5 hours. We understand that some sellers on eBay could have potentially placed their order in time, however we request that these coins are not listed unless they are in the physical possession of the seller. We also suggest the following:

- The listing needs to include a unique photo of the item or items, and your User ID needs to be clearly shown in the picture (watermarks will not be accepted).

- To ensure buyer protection, PayPal needs to be the only accepted form of payment.

We understand that you may not have known about these requirements. However, please note that future violations may result in a range of actions, including listing cancellation, limits on account privileges, account suspension, forfeiture of eBay fees on canceled listings, and loss of PowerSeller status.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Sincerely,

eBay Trust & Safety team

Never had this before.. Is this some new eBay BS?? image

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's about time that eBay is cracking down on the Pre Sale BS.....Now my question, have all the pre sales removed? I just checked eBay & there are still over 70 left, but earlier this evening there were over 120. eBay must be pulling one by one. I for one applaud this move. Not to pick on the OP, but pre sales have been nothing but troubles for every one involved.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>pre sales have been nothing but troubles for every one involved. >>

Wait til the BST presellers realize they undersold.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>It's about time that eBay is cracking down on the Pre Sale BS.....Now my question, have all the pre sales removed? I just checked eBay & there are still over 70 left, but earlier this evening there were over 120. eBay must be pulling one by one. I for one applaud this move. Not to pick on the OP, but pre sales have been nothing but troubles for every one involved.[/q

Why is a Pre Sale BS? I guess all those items on Amazon & other web sites that are 'Pre Sales" are BS in your opinion too?
  • Options

<< <i>Just got this message from eBay:

We're pleased to have you as part of the eBay Community. However, the following listing(s) were removed and all fees have been credited to your account:

230692910593 - 2011 American Eagle 25th Anniversary Silver Coin Set (A25) ASE PRESALE

Because the 2011 25TH SILVER EAGLE ANNIVERSARY SET is in such high demand, requirements have been put in place for 2011 25TH SILVER EAGLE ANNIVERSARY SET sales. It has been reported that the MINT sold out of these within 5 hours. We understand that some sellers on eBay could have potentially placed their order in time, however we request that these coins are not listed unless they are in the physical possession of the seller. We also suggest the following:

- The listing needs to include a unique photo of the item or items, and your User ID needs to be clearly shown in the picture (watermarks will not be accepted).

- To ensure buyer protection, PayPal needs to be the only accepted form of payment.

We understand that you may not have known about these requirements. However, please note that future violations may result in a range of actions, including listing cancellation, limits on account privileges, account suspension, forfeiture of eBay fees on canceled listings, and loss of PowerSeller status.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Sincerely,

eBay Trust & Safety team

Never had this before.. Is this some new eBay BS?? image >>

Yes, brand spanking new and overdue.

Two very important items in their email that should be noted by all:

"- The listing needs to include a unique photo of the item or items, and your User ID needs to be clearly shown in the picture (watermarks will not be accepted).

- To ensure buyer protection, PayPal needs to be the only accepted form of payment."

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    I don't have a problem with pre-sales if the orders are confirmed for delivery.

I got my second order in at 5:35 pm ET and there not a Waitlist at that time. I think the Waitlist went up seconds after my order.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's about time that eBay is cracking down on the Pre Sale BS.....Now my question, have all the pre sales removed? I just checked eBay & there are still over 70 left, but earlier this evening there were over 120. eBay must be pulling one by one. I for one applaud this move. Not to pick on the OP, but pre sales have been nothing but troubles for every one involved.[/q

Why is a Pre Sale BS? I guess all those items on Amazon & other web sites that are 'Pre Sales" are BS in your opinion too? >>

When it comes to US Mint products, you hit the nail on the head.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't have a problem with pre-sales if the orders are confirmed for delivery.

I got my second order in at 5:35 pm ET and there not a Waitlist at that time. I think the Waitlist went up seconds after my order. >>

Earlier forum discussion put the wait list at about 4:30 pm EST.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    >>

Yes, brand spanking new and overdue.

"- The listing needs to include a unique photo of the item or items, and your User ID needs to be clearly shown in the picture (watermarks will not be accepted).

- To ensure buyer protection, PayPal needs to be the only accepted form of payment." >>

Sounds like sour grapes on the part of those who didn't get any of these sets earlier today.. And FYI - I always accept Paypal as the only form of payment.

Fine by me.. I'll end up selling them for more when I have them in hand.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't have a problem with pre-sales if the orders are confirmed for delivery.

I got my second order in at 5:35 pm ET and there not a Waitlist at that time. I think the Waitlist went up seconds after my order. >>

Sorry to bust your bubble, but the wait list went up at 4:40. Chances are your order is on back order with a floating date that will most likely be moved back as the days get longer.
  • Options
    Doesn't burst my bubble. Website stated product available for shipping 11/10/11 with no Waitlist. Whoever posted the 4:40 pm time was wrong because it was 4:40 pm central time, not ET.
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Ebay cancelled mine too.
    I don't mind. Now I don't have to stress about presales, I can just wait and sell what I actually have in hand image

Now, it says that it needs a picture of the setes, does that mean we have to open the box to list on ebay? That would NOT be good
  • Options

<< <i>Ebay cancelled mine too.
    I don't mind. Now I don't have to stress about presales, I can just wait and sell what I actually have in hand image

Now, it says that it needs a picture of the setes, does that mean we have to open the box to list on ebay? That would NOT be good >>

No, you can just take a picture of the shipping box that it comes in from the mint.
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    This could be good news for those on the "wait-list". It's possible some of the pre-sellers were banking on the pre-sale to fund the original purchase.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that this is overdue. While many of the pre-sales go fine, there are often more problems than with other things. Buyers not getting because the seller complains they didn't receive (no harm, no foul, right? Well, what if the prices went up and the buyer relied on that but has to pay more? Will the delinquent seller pay the difference or get it for them? Not likely 99% of the time).

Everyone can be running around with guns going off, but that isn't always the right thing to do, so cracking down isn't necessarily a bad thing.

In this case, as with all other flips I have done, I am of the firm belief that I should have it in-hand (or confirmed that delivery has started) before I sell it on ebay. The only time I differ is selling to a board member dealer where they are ok with the confirmation number I provide and I ship it out 0-48 hours after I get it in-hand.

Good for ebay image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ebay cancelled mine too.

Now, it says that it needs a picture of the setes, does that mean we have to open the box to list on ebay? That would NOT be good >>

No, you can just take a picture of the shipping box that it comes in from the mint. >>

Or any brown box if you want to list them early. image

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>This could be good news for those on the "wait-list". It's possible some of the pre-sellers were banking on the pre-sale to fund the original purchase. >>

ASE post of the day.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>Doesn't burst my bubble. Website stated product available for shipping 11/10/11 with no Waitlist. Whoever posted the 4:40 pm time was wrong because it was 4:40 pm central time, not ET. >>

I live on the East Coast & I happen to be on the Mint's website around that time...4:40 EDT ....
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Or any brown box if you want to list them early. image >>

Haha, I was gonna say...

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    Do I have a problem here, nope, not at all, why?

Cause I as always first of all set a deal in place, one I was happy with.

second: I have no problem when doing so wether price goes up or down in between,
    like I said I have a deal in place.

third: I always do business with well known dealers or previous dealers.

never had a problem.

This effects me how? It doesnt.

at all.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, brand spanking new and overdue.

- To ensure buyer protection, PayPal needs to be the only accepted form of payment." >>

<< <i>Sounds like sour grapes on the part of those who didn't get any of these sets earlier today.. And FYI - I always accept Paypal as the only form of payment.

Fine by me.. I'll end up selling them for more when I have them in hand. >>

No sour grapes, bought my five sets. image
    Other than my personal opinion ("overdue") the rest of the post is fact, strait from ebay.
    My opinion is that an ebay seller should have possession of what he sells, and it is based on experience.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw it at 4:30pm eastern

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    IMO, this is a good thing. Presales, especially with an item like this are just a recipe for trouble on both ends. Actually a good decision by ebay that will eliminate a lot of strife down the road.

Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes, brand spanking new and overdue.

<< <i>Sounds like sour grapes on the part of those who didn't get any of these sets earlier today.. And FYI - I always accept Paypal as the only form of payment.

Fine by me.. I'll end up selling them for more when I have them in hand. >>

No sour grapes, bought plenty of sets. image
    Other than my personal opinion ("overdue") the rest of the post is fact, strait from ebay.
    My opinion is that an ebay seller should have possession of what he sells, and it is based on experience. >>

So don't buy Pre Sales on eBay if you don't trust them.. Why should other people be prohibitted from doing so because of a few bad apples?
  • Options

<< <i>IMO, this is a good thing. Presales, especially with an item like this are just a recipe for trouble on both ends. Actually a good decision by ebay that will eliminate a lot of strife down the road. >>

I wouldn't mind it becoming full time policy, especially the mention of "a unique photo of the item or items, and your User ID needs to be clearly shown in the picture (watermarks will not be accepted)."

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    There is also a chance the mint will limit these to one or two per household if their waitlist is very large They have done it before if enough customers complain which I am sure they are doing at this very minute.
  • Options

<< <i>So don't buy Pre Sales on eBay if you don't trust them.. Why should other people be prohibitted from doing so because of a few bad apples? >>

Simple, as a seller I get hit with higher fees to cover the losses from presales gone bad. Surely you don't think paypal is taking the loss. Most pre-sale problems don't arise because of an untrustworthy seller. They are usually the result of unplanned logistics problems.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So don't buy Pre Sales on eBay if you don't trust them.. Why should other people be prohibitted from doing so because of a few bad apples? >>

Simple, as a seller I get hit with higher fees to cover the losses from presales gone bad. Surely you don't think paypal is taking the loss. >>

Are you joking?? Paypal never takes any "losses" on transactions. Unless you consider having to forego their outrageous fees on a non-delivered item as a loss.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Simple, as a seller I get hit with higher fees to cover the losses from presales gone bad. Surely you don't think paypal is taking the loss. >>

Are you joking?? Paypal never takes any "losses" on transactions. Unless you consider having to forego their outrageous fees on a non-delivered item as a loss. >>

My point exactly.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Are you joking?? Paypal never takes any "losses" on transactions. Unless you consider having to forego their outrageous fees on a non-delivered item as a loss. >>

My point exactly. >>

Your point exactly what?? Are you a part owner of Paypal?
  • Options
    If anything goes wrong with a presale--and there is a high possibility it will with these--people will also associate that bad experience with ebay. Ebay is simply eliminating having to resolve future conflicts (ie, work for itself), and keeping buyers from associating the company with a bad experience.

Besides, they're probably not really losing sales, because the presellers will sell later when the product is actually in their hands. Win-win for ebay.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

My point exactly. >>

Your point exactly what?? Are you a part owner of Paypal? >>

I'll try to simplify: Losses from presells gone bad get passed on to sellers in the form of fees.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    I just counted better than 100 Listings.

It's gonna be tough for ebay to keep up with these. Of course, most of the listings have the US Mints photograph but that shouldn't really make a difference shout it?

As for pre-sales. I don't have a problem with them at all. These sets will have their own merits and if the US Mint sticks with the 100,000 mintage limits they get quite expensive quite quickly.

The 5 I ordered (provided I actually get them) will go to Heritage as I just don't have a real strong desire to have my own set.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

My point exactly. >>

I'll try to simplify: Losses from presells gone bad get passed on to seller in the form of fees. >>

I'll try to simplify: When was the last time Paypal increased their fees?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

My point exactly. >>

I'll try to simplify: Losses from presells gone bad get passed on to seller in the form of fees. >>

I'll try to simplify: When was the last time Paypal increased their fees? >>

Aug. 31, 6:48 p.m.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

My point exactly. >>

I'll try to simplify: When was the last time Paypal increased their fees? >>

Aug. 31, 6:48 p.m. >>

On you maybe.
  • Options
    this policy shift is gonna hammer the seller who needs to sell and get paid before the credit card bill arrives. But then again, they can always pre-sell on the BST.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Simple, as a seller I get hit with higher fees to cover the losses from presales gone bad. >>

Actually pre-sales gone bad would be a net gain to eBay, as they don't refund the FVF's and if the seller re-lists to cash in on the higher price, they will get another set of fees.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Simple, as a seller I get hit with higher fees to cover the losses from presales gone bad. >>

Actually pre-sales gone bad would be a net gain to eBay, as they don't refund the FVF's and if the seller re-lists to cash in on the higher price, they will get another set of fees. >>

referring to paypal losses and paypal fees.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>There is also a chance the mint will limit these to one or two per household if their waitlist is very large They have done it before if enough customers complain which I am sure they are doing at this very minute. >>

When has the Mint changed their set limits after the fact? Just curious.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree that this is overdue. While many of the pre-sales go fine, there are often more problems than with other things. Buyers not getting because the seller complains they didn't receive (no harm, no foul, right? Well, what if the prices went up and the buyer relied on that but has to pay more? Will the delinquent seller pay the difference or get it for them? Not likely 99% of the time).

Everyone can be running around with guns going off, but that isn't always the right thing to do, so cracking down isn't necessarily a bad thing.

In this case, as with all other flips I have done, I am of the firm belief that I should have it in-hand (or confirmed that delivery has started) before I sell it on ebay. The only time I differ is selling to a board member dealer where they are ok with the confirmation number I provide and I ship it out 0-48 hours after I get it in-hand.

Good for ebay image >>

I really doubt ebay has stopped allowing presales. I still see dozens of presales up for these sets. As a seller, I sometimes use presales. I would be fine with ebay not allowing presales but as long as they do allow them, it is necessary to use them to compete with other presellers. I sat one out long ago and remember several of my repeat customers telling me they already bought them thinking I was not going to be selling that product.

As for the ended auctions, it is one of two things: 1. A clueless drone at ebay mininterpreting their own rules and screwing up. 2. There was some other violation in the auction. Once ebay ends your auction it vaporizes so even the seller can't look at it to see what was wrong. You have to start all over to recreate the auction. In either case, there is a good chance someone reported your auction as a violation, very likely a competing seller trying to create higher prices.

I'm not preselling this one, because I don't think it is a good candidate, but I will keep using presales for more common items.

--Jerry
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭
    I'll keep mine like the 20th gold and silver sets I still have. Sounds like sour grapes from the person trying to pre-sell on E-bay. Get over it. Pay your credit card if you can. If not, you lose and others that WANTED the sets to keep, NOT TO FLIP will get them! I'll be giving them for Christmas gifts, again. Like the 20th anniversary sets as well. Congrats to the COLLECTORS that got lucky. image((image
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options

<< <i>No sour grapes here. Bought 20 sets. I'll keep mine like the 20th gold and silver sets I still have. Sounds like sour grapes from the person trying to pre-sell on E-bay. Get over it. Pay your cedit card if you can. If not, you lose and others that WANTED the sets to keep, NOT TO FLIP will get them! image((image >>

t
    I pay my credit card in full every month smart a$$.. Like I said, I'll end up selling it for more than I probably would have if eBay hadn't ended the auction, so they probably did me a huge favor.
    And the fact that you would brag about buying 20 sets shows that you're really the greedy one, when there are apparently a lot of people who never even got one. Soo.. GFYM.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool looks like E-Bay just gave some more sets to the mint to give out.image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i>Cool looks like E-Bay just gave some more sets to the mint to give out.image >>

How so?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pre-sales are bogus...I agree it's about time ebay restricted this practice...you should be required to have in your possession anything you are selling.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There is also a chance the mint will limit these to one or two per household if their waitlist is very large They have done it before if enough customers complain which I am sure they are doing at this very minute. >>

When has the Mint changed their set limits after the fact? Just curious. >>

I'm curious what issue that was too.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    I agree with Ebay on this, you should NOT be allowed to sell an item you don't have. I think it is ridiculous Ebay has allowed this to happen, sellers put their hard earned money in your account before you have them and dealers take money based on someone else product. When I buy from Amazon I buy a product in stock, period.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with Ebay on this, you should NOT be allowed to sell an item you don't have. I think it is ridiculous Ebay has allowed this to happen, sellers put their hard earned money in your account before you have them and dealers take money based on someone else product. When I buy from Amazon I buy a product in stock, period. >>

I'm fine with your opinion. As a seller, I would vote for a prohibition of presales. But until they outlaw them, and make it against the rules, they need to follow the current rules. The current rules allow them.

edit to say: you don't really agree with ebay's current rules.

--Jerry
  • Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    There sure are a lot of sets still being listed and sold even if ebay is cancelling some auctions
  • Options

<< <i>There sure are a lot of sets still being listed and sold even if ebay is cancelling some auctions >>

very unfair to those pulled.

- Nick Giambruno

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file