Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay Just Ended My 2011 ASE Anniversary Set Auction...

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not have a vested interest in this discussion. It seems, however, that there is little to enforce the sale if the buyer can claim that he was not able to obtain product from the Mint to complete the sale. In this case, it becomes a "heads I win, tales you lose" scenario, as if the market price goes up, the seller can claim no product, and if the price goes down, the buyer has already paid for the item and is stuck.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not have a vested interest in this discussion. It seems, however, that there is little to enforce the sale if the buyer can claim that he was not able to obtain product from the Mint to complete the sale. In this case, it becomes a "heads I win, tales you lose" scenario, as if the market price goes up, the seller can claim no product, and if the price goes down, the buyer has already paid for the item and is stuck. >>

I wouldn't expect payment unless I knew I could deliver. A pre-seller should not expect to get payment until he can confirm that he has something to deliver.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Cool looks like E-Bay just gave some more sets to the mint to give out.image >>

How so? >>

If you are buying a item with $$$ you dont have you cant buy it a pre sale will work just like that. But not all pre sales are like that but alot of them are. If E-Bay pulls the listeings like this the mint will cancels that order if they dont come up with the funds and it go's back and sold to a new customer that is "How So". And there is no dealer that will pre pay you for items you do not have in hand that is why they say we will pay after we rec your box.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not have a vested interest in this discussion. It seems, however, that there is little to enforce the sale if the buyer can claim that he was not able to obtain product from the Mint to complete the sale. In this case, it becomes a "heads I win, tales you lose" scenario, as if the market price goes up, the seller can claim no product, and if the price goes down, the buyer has already paid for the item and is stuck. >>

If the seller doesn't care about his feedback that will work. But one neg and your final value fee takes a 25% increase if you are a top rated seller. I would buy presales from top rated sellers. As I stated elsewhere. I'm not preselling these but if I was, and my order didn't get filled, I would buy on secondary market to fulfill my commitment. I use presales for other mint products because you have to in order to compete, but would vote for ending the practice if it were put to a vote. But right now ebay rules allow it and thus, on some products, a seller is losing sales to not presale. If I felt strongly that $500 set is cheap and they will be $1000 set by delivery time, I would be out there buying presales from trustworthy sellers. --Jerry
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Cool looks like E-Bay just gave some more sets to the mint to give out.image >>

How so? >>

If you are buying a item with $$$ you dont have you cant buy it a pre sale will work just like that. But not all pre sales are like that but alot of them are. If E-Bay pulls the listeings like this the mint will cancels that order if they dont come up with the funds and it go's back and sold to a new customer that is "How So". And there is no dealer that will pre pay you for items you do not have in hand that is why they say we will pay after we rec your box. >>

Mint will complete the transaction as long as there is available credit on the buyer's credit card when they hit it. Mint could care less if buyer is broke. However, ending presales may motivate a few pre-sellers to cancel their order with the mint in fear that they will not be able to cover the credit card bill when it arrives, especially now that shipping (and hitting the credit card) will occur sooner than previously announced (late Nov. initially).

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    I don't think paying the credit card is a concern unless you have no room on your card and need the presale to pay down the card to make room. I guess there are some people who live like that. I asked a guy at work today if he wanted to order 5 sets for me. He said he didn't have $1500 room on his credit card. I walked in from the parking lot with him where I saw him get out of his Mercedes.

--Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think paying the credit card is a concern unless you have no room on your card and need the presale to pay down the card to make room. >>

It would be a concern to a seller who couldn't afford to buy the sets but figured he could sell, get paid, and profit before the CC bill arrived.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't think paying the credit card is a concern unless you have no room on your card and need the presale to pay down the card to make room. >>

It would be a concern to a seller who couldn't afford to buy the sets but figured he could sell, get paid, and profit before the CC bill arrived. >>

Just about all credit cards have enough float to allow time to sell the sets. If someone is in a hurry they can ovenight them to me and they'll have payment the next day. --jerry
  • Options
    If you don't have the item, and can't guarantee you will have the item I see zero wrong it not allowing pre-sales items. If you are a power seller that has a history of providing such items, I see that you could provide such auctions. A pre-sale, IMO, is an earned privilege that experienced sellers should be able to participate in realizing.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

How so? >>

If you are buying a item with $$$ you dont have you cant buy it a pre sale will work just like that. But not all pre sales are like that but alot of them are. If E-Bay pulls the listeings like this the mint will cancels that order if they dont come up with the funds and it go's back and sold to a new customer that is "How So". And there is no dealer that will pre pay you for items you do not have in hand that is why they say we will pay after we rec your box. >>

I still have no idea.
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pre-sales are bogus...I agree it's about time ebay restricted this practice...you should be required to have in your possession anything you are selling. >>

Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if people who were able to order more than 5 sets, say from friends or family, are hit up from those folks that did them the favor? Like how much will you pay me to do this for you?
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blame the Democrats image
  • Options
    Occupy the US Mint
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> >>

Yes, brand spanking new and overdue.

Two very important items in their email that should be noted by all:

"- The listing needs to include a unique photo of the item or items, and your User ID needs to be clearly shown in the picture (watermarks will not be accepted).

- To ensure buyer protection, PayPal needs to be the only accepted form of payment." >>

As I recall, eBay did the same thing a while back when Nintendo released the wii.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<I do not have a vested interest in this discussion. It seems, however, that there is little to enforce the sale if the buyer can claim that he was not able to obtain product from the Mint to complete the sale. In this case, it becomes a "heads I win, tales you lose" scenario, as if the market price goes up, the seller can claim no product, and if the price goes down, the buyer has already paid for the item and is stuck. >>

Exactly what I was thinking, it's like the buyer is held hostage. Not saying all sellers will engage in this but surely some will.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

<< <i><<I do not have a vested interest in this discussion. It seems, however, that there is little to enforce the sale if the buyer can claim that he was not able to obtain product from the Mint to complete the sale. In this case, it becomes a "heads I win, tales you lose" scenario, as if the market price goes up, the seller can claim no product, and if the price goes down, the buyer has already paid for the item and is stuck. >>

Exactly what I was thinking, it's like the buyer is held hostage. Not saying all sellers will engage in this but surely some will. >>

It should be treated like a short sale. If you commit to sell for a specified price you should be forced to "cover" and find an item to complete the transaction if someone accepts your offer of sale. This is a simple breach of contract...whereby you agree to sell a specific item for a specified price. The fact that you couldn't obtain in through the method that you thought you could is irrelevant. Go find it elsewhere and obtain that item to complete your side of the deal (offer, acceptance, consideration). I haven't seen any contingencies on the offers to sell these sets such as "this offer is only good if I receive them from the mint". The premiums they are getting on these sets are based upon their promise that they will obtain these sets for you.
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Exactly what I was thinking, it's like the buyer is held hostage. Not saying all sellers will engage in this but surely some will.

Sellers are equally held hostage; in the past I have had a buyer who purchased a sealed box, opened it, and then filed a dispute claiming it was "not as described". Despite my protests, eBay sided with the buyer, and I got an open box back and stuck with shipping and insurance costs. In my opinion there is no more vulnerable position to be in than a seller providing a sealed box to a buyer on ebay-- it doesn't matter what your return policy is, unscrupulous buyers can void the transaction. If the secondary market price on these sets drops in the weeks to come, I have no doubt some will do so.

Dan
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are now over 180 ... 25th anniv. listed on eBay. I suspect eBay targeted those that were honest in their title by indicating "PRE SALE"
    It appears, that sellers who do not, are left alone.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    There are now over 180 ... 25th anniv. listed on eBay. I suspect eBay targeted those that were honest in their title by indicating "PRE SALE" It appears, that sellers who do not, are left alone.

eBay is run by idiots. I listed 2 boxes of 5 as presale with buy-it-now (I have confirmed order numbers for 3). One sold, buyer paid by paypal, and I made contact by email. I also made a speculative purchase from someone else for a good price. That transaction went through. THEN I get an email from eBay saying the listing for the remaining set was killed, etc. They made it sound like all transactions would be voided, fees refunded etc. However, as of this morning, both the sale and purchase appear to be in effect, the only thing they did was kill my one listing (while, as others have noted, 100s more are up).

I called eBay last night and spoke to some nameless drone, expressed my frustration with how difficult eBay has become over the years-- the policies they implement make no sense... I've been on eBay since 1998, have a long history of no problems, and I wouldn't offer something without being sure I could hold up my end.

My presale of a sealed box is canceled. Meanwhile, I'm able to bid on multiple (and almost certainly) fictitious bags of war nickels at $5,750 a pop from a guy in Arizona with a story about Brinks warehouses, secure in the knowledge that if he doesn't make good, I'm protected by paypal/ebay/my credit card if I file my dispute within 45 days. He gets $22,000+ of my money plus whoever else takes a gamble, disappears, and ebay/paypal are left holding the bag? seriously? Coins are a big market on eBay, and it's ridiculous (and bad business) that they don't have someone with a good understanding of the coin market making decisions.

Dan
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭
    Looks like this one got his box in hand already..... imageLink So why were other auctions ended and some left alone againimage
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like this one got his box in hand already..... imageLink So why were other auctions ended and some left alone againimage >>

It appears, if you had PRE SALE in your title, those were targeted...not sure though.
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like this one got his box in hand already..... imageLink So why were other auctions ended and some left alone againimage >>

It appears, if you had PRE SALE in your title, those were targeted...not sure though. >>

Nope. I had no mention of presale in the title.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It appears, if you had PRE SALE in your title, those were targeted...not sure though. >>

Nope. I had no mention of presale in the title. >>

If that's the case, some one reported your auction. eBay does not act on anything unless they are spoon fed to do so.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just counted better than 100 Listings.

It's gonna be tough for ebay to keep up with these. Of course, most of the listings have the US Mints photograph but that shouldn't really make a difference shout it?

As for pre-sales. I don't have a problem with them at all. These sets will have their own merits and if the US Mint sticks with the 100,000 mintage limits they get quite expensive quite quickly.

The 5 I ordered (provided I actually get them) will go to Heritage as I just don't have a real strong desire to have my own set. >>

Well over 200 listing this morning.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    OK so how do we report these presales then, you go thru the Report Item link on the auction and its just a bunch of canned stuff with nothing having to do with Presells or these particular coins? You would think inappropriate preselling would be front and center on the report item options but no where to be found.
  • Options

<< <i>OK so how do we report these presales then, you go thru the Report Item link on the auction and its just a bunch of canned stuff with nothing having to do with Presells or these particular coins? You would think inappropriate preselling would be front and center on the report item options but no where to be found. >>

Alright went thru is again and this may do it if in fact reporting is what is getting these auctions pulled... Click Report Item on auction page, select Listing Practices, select Inappropriate Seller Terms, select Presale or Binding Bids which is an interesting one as it states exactly want some of these presellers are doing by making cavaets to not actually delivering the goods. A binding bid = "Information in the listing exempts the seller from completing a transaction for any reason or states that the seller may alter the item listed for sale"
  • Options
    Good info ibex66....Thanks
  • Options

<< <i>OK so how do we report these presales then, you go thru the Report Item link on the auction and its just a bunch of canned stuff with nothing having to do with Presells or these particular coins? You would think inappropriate preselling would be front and center on the report item options but no where to be found. >>

Why do you want to report them? Are they violating any ebay rule or do you just not like them? Unless someone says they called ebay and ebay changed the rules on presales, then they don't violate any rule just by being a presale. (Many may violate other rules including the binding bid or not meeting the 30 day requirement).

I'm starting to sense a mob mentality here: "I don't like presales and I want to get them shut down."

As Russ and I have said many times, ebay clerks who evaluate auctions for rule compliance didn't get that job after they got into med school and decided ebay drone was a better career. They make a lot of mistakes, end a lot of auctions inappropriately (Don't ask me how frustrating that is) and let others go inappropriately. Seeing an auction end doesn't mean ebay changed the rules.

Often inappropriate reporting, such as you are suggesting, is what gets the drones looking at an auction and ending it inappropriately. I think we should all follow the rules and be careful not to report auctions that do not violate the rules, no matter what our personal opinion is about the rules.

--Jerry

• Options

<< <i>

Why do you want to report them? Are they violating any ebay rule or do you just not like them? Unless someone says they called ebay and ebay changed the rules on presales, then they don't violate any rule just by being a presale. (Many may violate other rules including the binding bid or not meeting the 30 day requirement).

I'm starting to sense a mob mentality here: "I don't like presales and I want to get them shut down."

As Russ and I have said many times, ebay clerks who evaluate auctions for rule compliance didn't get that job after they got into med school and decided ebay drone was a better career. They make a lot of mistakes, end a lot of auctions inappropriately (Don't ask me how frustrating that is) and let others go inappropriately. Seeing an auction end doesn't mean ebay changed the rules.

Often inappropriate reporting, such as you are suggesting, is what gets the drones looking at an auction and ending it inappropriately. I think we should all follow the rules and be careful not to report auctions that do not violate the rules, no matter what our personal opinion is about the rules.

--Jerry >>

He wants to report them because he has nothing better to do with his life.. I guess mommy & daddy must have limited the amount of time he's allowed to watch Spongebob during the day & this is how he fills the void.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

--Jerry >>

He wants to report them because he has nothing better to do with his life.. I guess mommy & daddy must have limited the amount of time he's allowed to watch Spongebob during the day & this is how he fills the void. >>

Without the name calling, I agree. Some folks just have nothing better to do than interfere in other peoples business. These pre-sales are between the buyer and the seller. If the transaction goes bad, its between the buyer, the seller, and then eBay.

BTW, well over 200 "Pre-Sales" are listed now.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ^ oh wow I don't know what to say - how many sets are you preselling anyway. And SpongeBob, gawd how old are you?
  • Options
    I support reporting ebay listings that violate ebay policy. It helps to make ebay a safer and more consistent place to shop. Ebay has set the system up so that it's members can participate in keeping it safe and consistent.

Decisions to pull a listing remain with ebay. If they err in pulling a listing, then the seller has a beef with ebay, not with a person that reported it. If a seller disagrees with the drone on the phone at ebay, the seller should request to speak with a supervisor.

And, there really is no need to make personal attacks on a fellow forum member who has a differing opinion, it usually ends up badly for one or both parties. Members who get that worked up over a thread should just avoid the thread.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    Didn't expect this type of reaction. There certainily seems to be a seedy underside to this business.
  • Options

<< <i>I support reporting ebay listings that violate ebay policy. It helps to make ebay a safer and more consistent place to shop. Ebay has set the system up so that it's members can participate in keeping it safe and consistent.

Decisions to pull a listing remain with ebay. If they err in pulling a listing, then the seller has a beef with ebay, not with a person that reported it. If a seller disagrees with the drone on the phone at ebay, the seller should request to speak with a supervisor.

And, there really is no need to make personal attacks on a fellow forum member who has a differing opinion, it usually ends up badly for one or both parties. Members who get that worked up over a thread should just avoid the thread. >>

Have you ever tried to speak to a "supervisor" at ebay?.. Good luck. The only people I've ever gotten on the phone from ebay are the drones in India.
  • Options

<< <i>^ oh wow I don't know what to say - how many sets are you preselling anyway. And SpongeBob, gawd how old are you? >>

How many sets I'm preselling is my business and not yours. And to answer your second question: I'm old enough to know not to stick my nose into someone elses business for no good reason.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And SpongeBob, gawd how old are you? >>

Maybe he has young children or grandchildren.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Have you ever tried to speak to a "supervisor" at ebay?.. Good luck. The only people I've ever gotten on the phone from ebay are the drones in India. >>

They are actually in Arizona. Ask for a supervisor and you will get one. I had to go up to fourth level once to convince them to cover a $2800 sale that went sour. I'm with you, calling them is a real pain, but sometimes it's the only way to resolve a problem.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Have you ever tried to speak to a "supervisor" at ebay?.. Good luck. The only people I've ever gotten on the phone from ebay are the drones in India. >>

They are actually in Arizona. Ask for a supervisor and you will get one. I had to go up to fourth level once to convince them to cover a $2800 sale that went sour. I'm with you, calling them is a real pain, but sometimes it's the only way to resolve a problem. >>

Well, there must be a lot of people in Arizona with Indian accents image The only ones I've ever gotten sound like they're reading from a script on a computer screen.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2011 American Eagle 25th Anniversary Silver set*

turns up only 22 listing now

last night it was over 100

there are over 250 completed auctions

Ebay still has a presale policy of 30 days. the expected ship date is within that policy. eBay has changed the rule for these (probably due to issues with the ATB fiasco. lots of complaints on both sides from back out, I imagine)

So, you'd be reporting them based upon the new rules?

I'd think they are proactively hunting them down and nuking them. Reporting them probably slows them down.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

It's gonna be tough for ebay to keep up with these. Of course, most of the listings have the US Mints photograph but that shouldn't really make a difference shout it?

As for pre-sales. I don't have a problem with them at all. These sets will have their own merits and if the US Mint sticks with the 100,000 mintage limits they get quite expensive quite quickly.

The 5 I ordered (provided I actually get them) will go to Heritage as I just don't have a real strong desire to have my own set. >>

Well over 200 listing this morning. >>

Are the drones off for the Weekend or has eBay given up on Cancelling these?

Over 350 Listings this Morning!

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Well over 200 listing this morning. >>

Are the drones off for the Weekend or has eBay given up on Cancelling these?

Over 350 Listings this Morning! >>

They probably re-evalutated after they realized the fees they were generating. Too bad one of the drones didn't point out the down side - all the claims that are likely to be filed.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    Over 450 listings....eBay gave up....
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    How many sets I'm preselling is my business and not yours.

A public ebay auction is not private business.
  • Options
    I see no reason to report people for presales - I don't know why some feel it's their job to police everyone. If you're not interested, move on. Geez!

And... I have no pony in that race.
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options

<< <i>How many sets I'm preselling is my business and not yours.

A public ebay auction is not private business. >>

How many sets I'm selling is my business...
  • Options
    It's a lot easier to get a Chinese fake there than it used to be. Now pre sales are targeted ? I don't get how some entities set their priorities straight.
  • Options

<< <i>Over 450 listings....eBay gave up.... >>

I doubt they have given up , we have seen this in the past on a Sunday.
  • Options
    Here is the moral of the story as my brain devours this thread :

"Whatever you do, do not offer a loaf of bread for sale if it hasn't been baked yet." That's the lesson here. It might turn out to be day old bread. It's not "my" business what you do. I'm sorry about what's happened.
    I'd like to occupy eBay, but my time is better spent stirring the mental thought processes here. How am I doing ?
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    I like Sponge Bob.

-Keith

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file