Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A Year of Gary Carter --- Day 365

Comments

• Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    Day 267 -- December 30, 2010

I bet every pitching staff hated to see these guys back-to-back --- nice early Strawberry auto -- Nowadays you get the D S

Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    Day 268 -- December 31, 2010

For most of 1986 Mike Schmidt and Gary were dueling for MVP honors --- Gary got hurt and missed the middle of August and in turn knocked him out of the talk -- he still wound up with his best showing ~~ 3rd

Here are the top 4

Rank Tm VotePts Share G AB R H HR RBI
    1 Mike Schmidt PHI 287.0 85% 160 552 97 160 37 119
    2 Glenn Davis HOU 231.0 69% 158 574 91 152 31 101
    3 Gary Carter NYM 181.0 54% 132 490 81 125 24 105
    4 Keith Hernandez NYM 179.0 53% 149 551 94 171 13 83

BE SAFE TONIGHT AND HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Day 269 -- January 1, 2011 --- Happy New Year

I can't tell you how thrilled I was when I got this over 20 years ago.
    Canseco won the rookie of the year, MVP, 40-40 player and was awesome

but now - UGH

• Options
    Day 270 -- January 2, 2011 --- Happy New Year

This 4x6 postcard I got back in the 80's TTM (the bubbling happened after I kept in those crappy plastic pages that I have mentioned before)

Gary was automatic TTM --- he signed everything I sent to him when he was on the Expos and Mets and I believe he was that way with everyone

You would be hard pressed to find a star today of Gary's level signing the way he did

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    That Score Christmas ornament is AWESOME. Bet that took a lot of patience to make. Good job!

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

<< <i>That Score Christmas ornament is AWESOME. Bet that took a lot of patience to make. Good job!

Mike >>

Thanks Mike --- the cutting of the circles was the pain in the neck part but putting it together was not to bad

• Options
    Day 271 -- January 3, 2011 --- Happy New Year

Here are 2 4x6 unique shots -- one of him with his 3rd team and I personal shot of Gary signing a card on top of a book?

• Options
    Day 272 -- January 4, 2011 --- Happy New Year

This is the last of my plaques -- maybe one day if I have room and can settle on a style I might go the framed / matted route

• Options
    Day 273 -- January 5, 2011 --- Happy New Year

I'm a fan of this shot but my knees ache just thinking about the amount of time he was in this position.

• Options
    Day 274 -- January 6, 2011 --- Happy New Year

Next few days a few Dodger shots --- 4x6 personal shot

• Options
    Day 275 -- January 7, 2011

"Rare" pic of Gary wearing the number 12 --- he wore this in Spring Training 1991 -- not sure who had 8 first -- maybe the board's Dodger fans can help

• Options
    Day 276 -- January 8, 2011

Must have been a cold morning when this shot was taken

• Options
    Day 277 -- January 9, 2011

One of my goals outside cards is to obtain a ticket and/or stub for every game Gary has hit a homerun in. At first I was able to grab dozens at a time but now I would be lucky to find one in a year

Gary hit 324 HRs in his career and to date I have tickets/stubs that account for 185 -- my struggle continues and I have faith that one day I will have them all.

below are a few shots of my collection

My ticket binder which again I hope to add the remaining 139 sooner than later

This group of tickets/stubs are from Gary's
    1st Sept 28, 1974
    200th June 9, 1984
    300th Aug 11, 1988
    324th(last) Aug 12, 1992

These 2 are from games where Gary hit 3 HR's in one game
    April 20, 1977 and Sept 3, 1985

• Options
    Day 278 -- January 10, 2011

In keeping with Gary's HR theme
    This next project I have posted before and was hoping to provide a few updates every know and than but early on all my images were deleted -- I had them on AOL, switched computers and did not download them to the new computer before AOL deleted them

I am attempting to get a custom picture signed by Gary and the pitchers that he hits his 324 HRs off of.
    I started this in April 2008 and as of today there are a possible 301 signatures I can obtain (23 are from players that have passed)
    I have 210 signatures now and need 91 more -- somewhat like the ticket quest I was able to grab a ton TTM between 2008 and 2010 but now I have run in to those "impossible autographs" or will need to pay for them. This has been a blast and have to thank the SCN community for making me realize that it might just be possible to do this and for the help of many of the members there.

One great part of this is that I have received comments back from some of the players and have posted some of them below.

First shot is "the stack" ~~~ here are all 210 pics

This first group is of Gary's 1, 100, 200 and 300 HR
    Would love to get the last one (324) signed but that was given up by Mike Morgan who is very tough both TTM and at shows/PVT signings

Next group is of Jim Rooker who was the pitcher who gave up 3 HR's to Gary in one game (he also gave up 2 HRs to Gary in Sept of 77) --- I sent all 5 to Mr. Rooker early in April 2008 and he signed them in less than 2 weeks -- I was more than thrilled when I got these back.

Next group of 5 are from HOF's that Gary has hit a HR off of
    in addition to the 3 he hit off of Niekro 1 off of Blyleven (see the note he added "Luck HR") and 1 off of Jenkins he hit a total of 11 off of Carlton, 3 off of Sutter, 2 off of Ryan, 2 off of Eckersley, 1 off of Perry, 1 off of Seaver and 1 off of Sutton --- I will need to pay for all of these and will do so when I can.

Here are some of the notes I have received with my items
    First up Mark Bomback HR #100

Jay Howell HR #312

Tom Hilgendorf HR #15

Steve Wilson HR #304

Ron Reed HR #s 18, 26, 63

Bill Landrum #283

Tony Brizzolara HR #92

Ed Wojna HR #240 interesting note that Gary hit 3 on Sept 3 1985 and 2 on Sept 4 1985 ( the last off of Wojna)

Roric Harrison HR #s 4, 5

• Options
    Awesome personal notes from the pitchers. Great thread!! I would love to do this with my George Brett collection, but mine pales in comparison to yours. You all would laugh at mine.
  • Options

<< <i>Awesome personal notes from the pitchers. Great thread!! I would love to do this with my George Brett collection, but mine pales in comparison to yours. You all would laugh at mine. >>

I wouldn't -- I like to look at other player collectors collections -- I get ideas for different projects from other collectors -- post away

• Options
    Day 279 -- January 11, 2011

When I first jumped aboard the graded band wagon I was in awe about how much money there was out there for cards stuck behind plastic but I quickly realized that you needed Mantles, Ruths, T206s etc... My Carter cards will NEVER bring that amount of money that was flashed back then.

I realized though that having some of my Carter cards graded as high as possible is a great way to enhance my collection -- so it will never reach 6 figures and who knows what 15 years from now will bring but it was a fun way to make a collection feel new again. I was introduced to PSA cards and stuck with them ever since. I have several Carter themed sets on the registry but the one I would love to be tops in is the Carter Basic set (My 3rd place showing ) its been real slow upgrading the cards I have on there and the 2 guys ahead of me have been entrenched in the top 2 spots for years.

Along the way it has been amazing to see card grading companies (and I use the term grading very loosely)
    pop up today -- and disappear tomorrow. 1989FleerBillRipkencollector has a list out there of a ba-zillion companies
    I will grab off of ebay an example of one of these companies Carter offerings when ever I can. I will not submit to these companies (or spend more than $5.00 - $10.00) but having dozens of different graded examples is another fun way to collect

For the next 3 days I am going to show some of my non-PSA graded cards and they will be broken down as "The Good" ~ "The Bad" ~ and "The Ugly"

First up "The Good"
    If I was exposed to these companies first I might have a very different look to my collection.

BVG --- Still not sure why you need a different case of pre 1980 cards

BGS

SGC -- love the black within the holder

TGA --- This really falls between the "Good" and the "Bad" --- but since it is my first "graded" autograph (and a tough one at that A 7 ~ sure looks like a 10 to me) I bumped it up to the "Good" group -- don't know anything about them or how long they were in business

• Options
    Day 280 -- January 12, 2011

The "Bad"

Ok you have BVG and BGS -- why do you need BCCG???

IGS -- know nothing about them

Grade My Cards -- still out there

PGC --- Website still active

FGS --- know nada about

SPA --- no idea

GAI --- should have been better but tooooo many issues out there

Advanced Grading --- no idea

The Final Authority --- I think some thought went into this idea

• Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Day 278 -- January 10, 2011

In keeping with Gary's HR theme
    This next project I have posted before and was hoping to provide a few updates every know and than but early on all my images were deleted -- I had them on AOL, switched computers and did not download them to the new computer before AOL deleted them

I am attempting to get a custom picture signed by Gary and the pitchers that he hits his 324 HRs off of.
    I started this in April 2008 and as of today there are a possible 301 signatures I can obtain (23 are from players that have passed)
    I have 210 signatures now and need 91 more -- somewhat like the ticket quest I was able to grab a ton TTM between 2008 and 2010 but now I have run in to those "impossible autographs" or will need to pay for them. This has been a blast and have to thank the SCN community for making me realize that it might just be possible to do this and for the help of many of the members there.

One great part of this is that I have received comments back from some of the players and have posted some of them below.

First shot is "the stack" ~~~ here are all 210 pics

This first group is of Gary's 1, 100, 200 and 300 HR
    Would love to get the last one (324) signed but that was given up by Mike Morgan who is very tough both TTM and at shows/PVT signings

Next group is of Jim Rooker who was the pitcher who gave up 3 HR's to Gary in one game (he also gave up 2 HRs to Gary in Sept of 77) --- I sent all 5 to Mr. Rooker early in April 2008 and he signed them in less than 2 weeks -- I was more than thrilled when I got these back.

Next group of 5 are from HOF's that Gary has hit a HR off of
    in addition to the 3 he hit off of Niekro 1 off of Blyleven (see the note he added "Luck HR") and 1 off of Jenkins he hit a total of 11 off of Carlton, 3 off of Sutter, 2 off of Ryan, 2 off of Eckersley, 1 off of Perry, 1 off of Seaver and 1 off of Sutton --- I will need to pay for all of these and will do so when I can.

Here are some of the notes I have received with my items
    First up Mark Bomback HR #100

Jay Howell HR #312

Tom Hilgendorf HR #15

Steve Wilson HR #304

Ron Reed HR #s 18, 26, 63

Bill Landrum #283

Tony Brizzolara HR #92

Ed Wojna HR #240 interesting note that Gary hit 3 on Sept 3 1985 and 2 on Sept 4 1985 ( the last off of Wojna)

Roric Harrison HR #s 4, 5
    image >>

I recall you posting about this before and was wondering how you were progressing. Glad to see you're keeping it alive. I see you had to come up with your own 74 Carter. How many of the pitchers did you do this for? Is that 80 Bomback one of them? Really cool idea and I hope you'll continue to give us periodic updates.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options

<< <i>I recall you posting about this before and was wondering how you were progressing. Glad to see you're keeping it alive. I see you had to come up with your own 74 Carter. How many of the pitchers did you do this for? Is that 80 Bomback one of them? Really cool idea and I hope you'll continue to give us periodic updates. >>

Once this "year" is done I am planning to have the old thread revived. I was bummed when I lost the images and have hated my old scanner -- but with the new one all I need is a bit of time to scan them all.

Yep the 74 Carter and 80 Bomback are custom cards - I have done that with a few. I wanted to keep with Topps as the card used for the pitchers and 95% of the images are Topps cards or customs of Topps cards.

This has been a great project and it is still a thrill when the mail comes and there is a new addition

• Options
    Day 281 -- January 13, 2011

The "Ugly"

GRA --- U-G-L-Y you aint go no alibi

All Star Grading -- ouch

IKON -- rivets?

Another IKON --- this one is "uncirculated" and it came with the fancy pouch!!

Several years ago these badboys popped up on ebay -- someone had a foil stamper and used this attractive diamond print to emboss this card making it a true 1 of 1

If I recall these were selling rather well

Well that ends the "Good", "Bad" and "Ugly" of non-PSA graded Carter cards --- If you have any Carter cards that are on this list
    1989FleerBillRipkencollector has a list out there of a ba-zillion companies
    send them to me -- I won't tell anyone image

• Options
    Day 282 -- January 14, 2011

Back to some magazines --- Met focused

• Options
    Day 283 -- January 15, 2011

Sport March 1985 -- would love to have a cleaner copy signed by all 3

• Options
    Day 284 -- January 16, 2011

Inside Sports May 1985 -- Check out the NFL Draft preview

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Mike,

Do you have a Carter game bat? There is a nice one in Heritage Auction right now. You have to have an initial bd in within the next 12 minutes, but I've already bid so I can bid in extended bidding if you want me to bid for you. Current price is $160 plus juice. Shoot me a PM if you want me to bid for you.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Day 285 -- January 17, 2011

Sport Plus May 1985 -- even though he is on the Mets one more cover in an Expos uniform

• Options
    Day 286 -- January 18, 2011

1985 Mets Scorebook

• Options
    Day 287 -- January 19, 2011

Not really a magazine but a softcover book highlighting the 1985 season and has small shots of Gary on the front and back

• Options
    Day 288 -- January 20, 2011

1987 Bill Mazeroski's Baseball -- This Mag is alot bigger than standard sized magazines

• Options
    Day 289 -- January 21, 2011

1986 Game Plan's Baseball Preview

• Options
    Day 290 -- January 22, 2011

July 1986 Sport magazine --- this is another one where I would love to get signed by all 3

• Options
    Day 291 -- January 23, 2011

1986 Mets Scorebook

• Options
    Day 292 -- January 24, 2011

Gary's last Baseball Digest cover -- September 1986

• Options
    Day 293 -- January 25, 2011

October 1986 Daily News playoff preview

• Options
    Day 294 -- January 26, 2011

October 27 1986 Sports Illustrated (his 4th of 5 covers)

• Options
    Day 295 -- January 27, 2011

1987 Petersen's Pro Baseball Annual

• Options
    Day 296 -- January 28, 2011

1987 Baseball Yearbook with a nice autograph

• Options
    Day 297 -- January 29, 2011

1987 Street and Smith's

• Options
    Day 298 -- January 30, 2011

April 20 1987 Sports Illustrated -- Gary's last SI cover
    Boy, times have changed --- check out the salaries 24 years ago

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know I'm late, but rivets on a graded card? Wow. I've seen it all now.
  • Options
    Day 299 -- January 31, 2011

1988 Mets Yearbook --- could have been a great year -- damn Dodgers

• Options
    Day 300 -- February 1, 2011

1988 Mets Scorebook

• Options
    Day 301 -- February 2, 2011

March 1988 Inside Sports

• Options
    Day 302 -- February 3, 2011

Berkscable Listing TV Host Weekly July 9-15 1988

• Options
    Day 303 -- February 4, 2011

Sept 1988 Baseball Cards Magazine --- I loved this magazine and thought it was about time they put Carter on the cover

• Options
    Day 304 -- February 5, 2011

1989 Mets Yearbook

• Options
    Day 305 -- February 6, 2011

1983 Fleer Stamps --- My PSA 10 and an un-opened sheet (#3)

• Options
    Day 306 -- February 7, 2011

There is a part of me that misses all those "junk" cards of the 80's -- Supersized, microsized, stickers, coins, tattoos, pop-ups and more.

Here are a few offerings of Pop-ups
    1988, Donruss, 1987 Donruss (also graded) and 1995 Stouffers

Gave my son a few of these a few years ago and he quickly found a great use for them --- shot rubberbands at them from 10 paces -- fun

• Options
    Day 307 -- February 8, 2011

Back on Day 160 fellow board member AJW (Drew) sent me a couple of Gary Carter Giant items that I have never seen before.
    Couple of months later I was looking to pick up a Christmas gift for myself and ran across the 2 signed items you see here ~ picked them up for a great price.
    The left one is another example of one of the items Drew sent me and the one on the right is also one I did not have.

• Options
    Day 308 -- February 9, 2011

Some Cadaco Discs
    The top 2 are from 1989 -- not sure the date of the bottom one

The square has the New York Mets and National League printed on it the disc only one does not