Options

5 oz National Parks Rounds

Comments

• Options
    SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

This Baby looks Really NICE!!! image >>

Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My radar says that when the Mint gets in a bind is when the best opportunities for modern collectables exists.

Yes, that is 100% true, and we know it because the Mint gets itself into binds quite frequently.image

Should they have foregone the numismatic version and produce more bullion coins this year? Perhaps. But I think they were planning to have numismatic versions all along, and it would have been bad to not have any for this year's designs.

Looking at the large pic (above post), the coin appears to be a reverse proof made in a similar fashion to the 1997-2003 Unc Plat Finish (which was a very nice hybrid of satin & mirror proof surfaces combined in a single coin). If that is the case, there is really no good reason why they needed to come out with 2 different finishes.

There was no need to split the market into halves once again. This type of short-struck issue promotes speculation, which will tend to devalue the rest of the issues that come in subsequent years because they will not approach these mintages unless interest in this series dies completely.

The market would be healthier and would present better profit possibilities if the Mint produced their products in a consistant manner that actually promoted collecting instead of speculation. Collectors tend to "stay the course" while speculators simply move on to the next thing. The more collectors, the healthier the market, in my opinion.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that is the Hot Springs.

the frosty fields are due to the stucco appearance on the building in the background.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    The market would be healthier and would present better profit possibilities if the Mint produced their products in a consistant manner that actually promoted collecting instead of speculation. Collectors tend to "stay the course" while speculators simply move on to the next thing. The more collectors, the healthier the market, in my opinion. >>

Ah, but they are clever. They suck in the speculators and make collectors out of them.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

Just checked the monaco website.Still 1500.00 for a 5 coin set.Thats 300.00 a coin and 60.00 an ounce.Maybe I will pass on these. After all a premium of 100% is a little crazy.It was a good idea but the small mintage doomed it for me.Maybe Ill get one when my state is released
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just checked the monaco website.Still 1500.00 for a 5 coin set.Thats 300.00 a coin and 60.00 an ounce.Maybe I will pass on these. After all a premium of 100% is a little crazy.It was a good idea but the small mintage doomed it for me.Maybe Ill get one when my state is released >>

The question seems to have come to, do I buy the 5-coin set now at $300 per coin or wait until next year and fight everyone else on the Mint web site trying go get 5 items in the checkout page?

If the Mint was smart, for next year, they would have a 5-coin set option. One click and go. But that would be too much to ask for.
  • Options
    don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just checked the monaco website.Still 1500.00 for a 5 coin set.Thats 300.00 a coin and 60.00 an ounce.Maybe I will pass on these. After all a premium of 100% is a little crazy.It was a good idea but the small mintage doomed it for me.Maybe Ill get one when my state is released >>

Can you share the direct link to these coins? I cannot find it.
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Called APMEX. No pricing news...said to watch the website Monday.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Too bad the UCLF hasn't been formed yet by collectors, we could have kept the price down at Monaco thus setting a trend------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    I wish we could have done it now.

It seems like less trouble to do it as a group than individually trying to chase delaers.

I would have had to ask for at least $150 up front per coin just as a deposit and as a way of funding the buy.

It's too late now though.

This is choas. It's sickening. Yet... I'm a part of it, still. I can't believe collecting has come to this.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is choas. It's sickening. Yet... I'm a part of it, still. I can't believe collecting has come to this. >>

Agreed. There will be bodies in the street by Monday afternoon, mine probably among them!image
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Can you share the direct link to these coins? I cannot find it. >>

Try this.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

<< <i>I wish we could have done it now.

It seems like less trouble to do it as a group than individually trying to chase delaers.

I would have had to ask for at least $150 up front per coin just as a deposit and as a way of funding the buy.

This is choas. It's sickening. Yet... I'm a part of it, still. I can't believe collecting has come to this. >>

Hasn't collecting always had some of this. Not to make too close of a comparison but remember those crazy beanie baby collectors? They were nuts. I kind of enjoy it although you have to take some disapointments from time to time. Anyway, don't you still have to chase dealers for a monster box?
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    no freaking way I would hand this outfit $1500.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

<< <i>no freaking way I would hand this outfit $1500. >>

You don't like the outfit or the price? My guess is both.
  • Options

<< <i>no freaking way I would hand this outfit $1500. >>

I definitely agree or "concur" as the stuffy people say around hereimage----------------------------BigE

I noticed of the few other coins they have are PR67 gold @ 100k to draw in the whales
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    57, thats the mark up from the Mint to the dealer, dont know if that is what you are saying---------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>57, thats the mark up from the Mint to the dealer, dont know if that is what you are saying---------BigE >>

FWIW (nothing) but yeah
  • Options

<< <i>sorry if this is a repost dealer mark-up per coin $9.75 >>

From the article:

At the primary distribution level, the US Mint has warned authorized purchasers to set premiums at a level "competitive with those charged for other bullion coins." I think the primary dealers will do their best to follow this mandate, but at subsequent levels of distribution, market forces will take precedence and drive prices higher.

So perhaps Apmex's prices will be somewhat reasonable?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    It does not look like it.They are already selling sets at apmex for $1395. Seems like they waited till they closed to post it on website.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And they no longer list the individual "coins". Looks like they are going to max-out the profits on these - not exactly what the original plan was with the distributors... I hope the mint penalizes them somehow, but I won't hold my breath.

The question is, do we hold out in protest and hope for a price drop, or bite the bullet and pay up? Personally, I think I'll take my chances with the mint ordering chaos on the "P" ones next year and skip these buggers...
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is choas. It's sickening. Yet... I'm a part of it, still. I can't believe collecting has come to this. >>

You did right bailing out. We spend millions a year with MTB, and we don't know if we will be able to buy as much as one monster box of each.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>It does not look like it.They are already selling sets at apmex for $1395. Seems like they waited till they closed to post it on website. >>

Wow, nearly double spot and no mention of how they will be preserved or protected!

Miles

Le Kitco Set.
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It does not look like it.They are already selling sets at apmex for $1395. Seems like they waited till they closed to post it on website. >>

That is very upsetting!image I was waiting so that I could purchase two coins and now you have to commit to all five in one purchase.image

At $1395 I am not in the running for a set of five bullion coins. So much for the requirement that they have to keep the prices competitive as bullion. I think that the mint should be contacted about this violation.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

We expect to be able to ship these items by December 17th or sooner.

Well i guess there wasn't much point in signing up for the email alerts, plus as far as the pricing goes they can stick it, i think since monoco sold theres for 1500 they decided to go with a 1395.00 woohoo Now i was told by monoco they had 500 sets so that leaves 36.500 sets to go sooner or later if everyone says no way the price has to come down to a reasonable 200 bucks a puck i think thats more in line. I called 15 other places and some told me they would never even see them plus most said its goofy to spend alittle over melt........... amex has a place where you can send a note maybe if everyone would drop them a line of why such a high markup and no email alerts maybe they will get the point ? leave a note
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    This has all the makings of a cluster schmuck...I will pass
  • Options

<< <i>

Well i guess there wasn't much point in signing up for the email alerts, plus as far as the pricing goes they can stick it, i think since monoco sold theres for 1500 they decided to go with a 1395.00 woohoo Now i was told by monoco they had 500 sets so that leaves 36.500 sets to go sooner or later if everyone says no way the price has to come down to a reasonable 200 bucks a puck i think thats more in line. I called 15 other places and some told me they would never even see them plus most said its goofy to spend alittle over melt........... >>

The thing is, these have gone from the realm of plain bullion to collectibles. There is no way they will ever be looked at as just bullion, even though that was the Mint's intent.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Well i guess there wasn't much point in signing up for the email alerts, plus as far as the pricing goes they can stick it, i think since monoco sold theres for 1500 they decided to go with a 1395.00 woohoo Now i was told by monoco they had 500 sets so that leaves 36.500 sets to go sooner or later if everyone says no way the price has to come down to a reasonable 200 bucks a puck i think thats more in line. I called 15 other places and some told me they would never even see them plus most said its goofy to spend alittle over melt........... >>

The thing is, these have gone from the realm of plain bullion to collectibles. There is no way they will ever be looked at as just bullion, even though that was the Mint's intent. >>

My thing is that these were distrubuted through the BULLION channel and not the collectible channel. The bullion companys should play by the rules.
  • Options
    The scary thing about APMEX pricing at this level is that they are a first tier retail outlet! Ouch!

Down the line is gonna hurt. Slabbed is gonna hurt. Rolls (if you can get them) are gonna hurt.

I hurt.

Miles
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The scary thing about APMEX pricing at this level is that they are a first tier retail outlet! Ouch!

Down the line is gonna hurt. Slabbed is gonna hurt. Rolls (if you can get them) are gonna hurt.

I hurt.

Miles >>

So fellas...at these prices are you guys still buying or are you definitely out!!!???
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The scary thing about APMEX pricing at this level is that they are a first tier retail outlet! Ouch!

I hurt.

Miles >>

So fellas...at these prices are you guys still buying or are you definitely out!!!??? >>

If they had changed to the five coin set and keept the price at $200 per puck, I would have done it. At $280+ per puck I am not. But then again, I just wanted two of them, I am not a flipper.
  • Options
    I'm feeling ripped off already, and I'm still on the fence.
  • Options
    This truly puts into perspective how awesome ordering from the Mint is compared to:

A minimum of $24.95 SHIPPING OR $68.80 for using your CC (per set),
    It may ship out by December 17th.
    Your funds are tied up with the chance all orders may not be fillable.
    The quality could be suspect and to return is more expense on the already steep shipping charges.
    You have noone to talk to at APMEX, they are closed.

Ouch.

Miles
  • Options
    Let's see what price Gainesville Coins comes up with. It looks like they won't be posting until Monday though.
  • Options
    This is the email I just received from APMEX as I am on the wait list:

We know you have been anxiously awaiting the release of the United States America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coin (TM) Program! You can purchase your first set at APMEX now, but only while supplies last!

As you may know, there was a very limited mintage of these exquisite coins, so you had better hurry. We know our allocation of these highly sought after coins will not last. Get your complete set of the first coins released, including:

5 oz - Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas
    5 oz - Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
    5 oz - Yosemite National Park, California
    5 oz - Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona
    5 oz - Mount Hood National Park, Oregon

While supplies last, you can purchase all five coins at a very attractive introductory price at APMEX.com.

Start your collection off right with the very first coins of this series, and secure your collection of one of the most talked about United States Mint Bullion products ever released! Don't delay - we expect these coins to sell out very quickly and we will NOT get more at this price.

Buy Yours Now at www.APMEX.com!

Respectfully,

David McCarty
    Director of Marketing
    American Precious Metals Exchange
  • Options

<< <i>

You did right bailing out. We spend millions a year with MTB, and we don't know if we will be able to buy as much as one monster box of each.
    TD >>

If you can, I think you can make some sales to people here on the forum, if you get my drift.

• Options

<< <i>And they no longer list the individual "coins". Looks like they are going to max-out the profits on these - not exactly what the original plan was with the distributors... I hope the mint penalizes them somehow, but I won't hold my breath.

The question is, do we hold out in protest and hope for a price drop, or bite the bullet and pay up? Personally, I think I'll take my chances with the mint ordering chaos on the "P" ones next year and skip these buggers... >>

I wouldn't count on them dropping the price unless silver tanks. I think that the Mint originally went with the bullion network because of difficulties with direct sales. I really think that they will eliminate the bullion route on the next issue because these are too hard to strike in mass quantities. Just my guess.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    $60 per ounce? 5 ouncers are neat but I'll take several Libertads or Tigers instead.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $55.80 / oz plus shipping image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    On the bright side, if you order two sets, a mere $2800, you get a roll!!!

• Options
    don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭
    $1,735 a set on ebay:

Ebay Link Here
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • Options

<< <i>On the bright side, if you order two sets, a mere $2800, you get a roll!!! >>

I hope they don't ding them in the process since they have to get 2 of each puck and put them in a roll image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
  • Options
    I just bought a set from APMEX. The way silver is going up, who know what it will be next year. Can you picture the Mint when they go up for sale next year? Since I am only buying these, I decided to spring for it.
  • Options

<< <i>I hope they don't ding them in the process since they have to get 2 of each puck and put them in a roll image >>

Don't worry. You'll be getting the ones that have been picked over, so it really won't matter if they get dinged up.
  • Options
    Just in case some haven't been reading this thread, I am going to PM everyone on my list tonight or tomorrow that the deal's off.

It will be the standard PM.

Everyone on the list and waiting list will get one.

Do not feel the need to reply.

• Options
    I remember the release of the American Eagles back in October of 1986. My employer at the time wanted to be the first dealer in Chicago to have them, so on the official release date I caught a 6 AM flight to New York. A limo driver met me, drove me down to Mocatta Metals in the Wall St. district, and waited while I went in and picked up 100 pre-paid one ounce pieces. I was carrying a briefcase, but I stuck them in my suitcoat pockets and went outside to the limo. (By the way, I left them in the coat when I walked through the airport security, wearing the coat, and they did not set it off. Back then.) We made the evening news nere in Chicago.

For the silvers, we had just ordered 200 pieces from a large wholesaler on our dealer-to-dealer network. A week goes by, and customers are calling to ask if we have them yet, but no coins. However, he is running them on the teletype system as "live" (i.e., in hand) for a dollar a coin more than we had locked them in at. I call him up and ask him where our coins are. He says he is getting more for the live ones than we paid, so he will send us ours from the next shipment next month.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Just in case some haven't been reading this thread, I am going to PM everyone on my list tonight or tomorrow that the deal's off.

It will be the standard PM.

Everyone on the list and waiting list will get one.

Do not feel the need to reply. >>

I would have thought that you had done that already.......
  • Options

<< <i>I just bought a set from APMEX. The way silver is going up, who know what it will be next year. Can you picture the Mint when they go up for sale next year? Since I am only buying these, I decided to spring for it. >>

Is APMEX the only place selling these right now? Aside from Ebay ofcourse.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I just bought a set from APMEX. The way silver is going up, who know what it will be next year. Can you picture the Mint when they go up for sale next year? Since I am only buying these, I decided to spring for it. >>

Is APMEX the only place selling these right now? Aside from Ebay ofcourse. >>

We could not lock in anything with our official distributor/supplier today. Since APMEX is an official distributor, they can gamble that they get some allocation. If they oversell, they can just cancel orders.

TD

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file