Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A Year of Gary Carter --- Day 365

Comments

• Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    Day 160 -- September 14, 2010

The 2 items today are an example of why it is a blast to be a player collector.
    The first is a 1990 Smokey's Giant 5x7 card (front and back) and the second is a 1990 Giants team issued card 3.5 x 5.5 (back is blank)

Before yesterday I never knew they existed!
    As someone who collects items of a player who is retired I can say it is fun to see some of the newer issues popping out here and there but when you are able to find an item that was put out when they were still playing it makes the collection feel new again.

But even better ~ these two items where sent to me by Drew (ajw -- one of our Will Clark super collectors)
    Again these were never on my radar and Drew made my day when I opened his package.
    I am sure at times he has had that same feeling when picking up that odd/unique/unknown Clark item.

Thanks again Drew

Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Mike! I actually just got the Smokey this week, have been looking for it for years and finally found a team set on ebay.
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad they showed up safely and fit into your collection, Mike! I have no idea what the postcard is, but the Smokey set is (well, was) incredibly rare. I had never seen a copy until a seller showed up on Ebay about a month ago. Now he lists a set every week. I just don't understand how it's possible. I had seen so many other Smokey sets (Angels, UCLA, U of Miami) but never a hint of a Giants set. Then this guy shows up with a garage full of 'em. Just amazing.

Anyway, I was *super* excited to get the Will Clark for my collection and I'm glad that I was pretty sure that the Perm Carter would be a nice addition to your collection, too.

Additionally, I love the story of the ripped card. Just great. I'm sure you'll keep those bottom portions in your collection forever. I'm also sure that someday your son will look at them with wonder as he remembers keeping the top half with him. Great story.

That story actually reminds me of a book I just finished reading. If you haven't read Cardboard Gods, you really need to do so. It's a really quick read and I'm sure it will rekindle memories of collecting and childhood in all of us. Really, go get it.
  • Options
    Day 161 -- September 15, 2010

Have had these baseballl card frames forever -- a friend and I split a dozen of these frames I used 2 for Carter cards one for over 500 homerun hitters and gave the others away. I wished I kept some now. (The 500 HR one has been pulled off the wall it does not mean as much now)

• Options
    Day 162 -- September 16, 2010

Not the best looking pennant offering from Rolaids -- but do I wish the 2010 Mets team had half the heart of the 86 team.

• Options
    Day 163 -- September 17, 2010

Group of SGA Mets team cards from the Wiz in which Gary is in --- I bet you can sense my longing for those Mets teams of the past by some of my recent posts (at least the 85, 86 and 88 ones)
    Dykstra's Shot in the 86 photo reminds me of about 100 photos of my kid brother at Christmas time -- what a goof ball

• Options
    Day 164 -- September 18, 2010

A full box of 1988 Fleer Star Stickers (please, no drooling from you 80's junk wax rippers --- you know who you are!) with a Gary card on the back.

• Options
    Day 165 -- September 19, 2010

1983 empty box of 1983 Topps album stickers with a Gary card on the back

• Options
    Day 166 -- September 20, 2010

A couple of cameo appearances on a 1987 Fleer Glossy tin box and a 1983 Fleer wax box

• Options
    Interesting that Dale Murray and Rick Cerone are pictured on
    the box. Why them and not Schmidt, or Reggie, or Valenzuela or about
    anybody else?
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Day 165 -- September 19, 2010

1983 empty box of 1983 Topps album stickers with a Gary card on the back

image >>

Ah! I *loved* these boxes. I really loved the football boxes that year. I was way more into the sticker books than I was the cards each year, and there was one store (about 1/2 way to my Grandparents' house) that always had these boxes. I'm guessing my parents liked them as much as I did, as I'm sure the box would keep me happy and quiet in the back seat for the second hour of the drive. Very cool!
  • Options
    Day 167 -- September 21, 2010

1986 Fleer Sluggers vs Pitchers box bottom

• Options
    Day 168 -- September 22, 2010

Like I said back on day 14 Gary was all over the boxes of Fleer's 1989 items. Here are the Rack, Cello and Wax boxes (all empty)

• Options
    Day 169 -- September 23, 2010

1986 Fleer Wax box bottom

• Options
    Day 170 -- September 24, 2010

In 2003 Topps grabbed their old cards, embossed them and put them in packs. Here is the 1981, 1984, 1985, 1989 and 1990 Carter cards.

image...............image

image...............image

• Options
     Day 171 -- September 25, 2010

2003 Topps T206 --- not sure if these are all the backs?

• Options
    Day 172 -- September 26, 2010

A couple of testimonial cards that Gary has signed and gave out
    Mets one he handed out when playing and the Expos after his days were done

• Options
    Day 173 -- September 27, 2010

Something simple today -- Gary is the 2 of diamonds in a Mets card set which also includes ~~~~ Benny Agbayani, Tommie Agee, Rick Aguilera, Edgardo Alfonso, Wally Backman, Carlos Beltran, Armando Benitez, Donn Clendenon, David Cone, Ron Darling, Carlos Delgado, Lenny Dykstra, Kevin Elster, Sid Fernandez, Cliff Floyd, John Franco, Wayne Garrett, Tom Glavine, Dwight Gooden, Jerry Grote, Bud Harrelson, Keith Hernandez, Gil Hodges, Todd Hundley, Davey Johnson, Howard Johnson, Cleon Jones, Jeff Kent, Dave Kingman, Ray Knight, Jerry Koosman, Ed Kranepool, Al Leiter, Paul LoDuca, Dave Magadan, Pedro Martinez, Jon Matlack, Roger McDowell, Tug McGraw, Kevin McReynolds, Felix Millan, Bob Ojeda, Jesse Orosco, Mike Piazza, Jose Reyes, Rafael Santana, Tom Seaver, Rusty Staub, Darryl Strawberry, Ron Swoboda, Frank Viola, Mookie Wilson, David Wright

Other teams have cards as well check out Baseball - Poker card sets

• Options
    Day 174 -- September 28, 2010

This 1 of 1 is the magenta plate for the 2005 TOPPS ~ Pristine Legends Edition -- also shown is the finished product a uncirculated card which is numbered to 549

imageimage

edit = date update

• Options
    Day 175 -- September 29, 2010

Was thrilled when ETOPPS came out with a Carter card back in 2003 -- I have several in hand and several more in my ETOPPS account

• Options
    Day 176 -- September 30, 2010

To close out September here are a few states of Gary's 1987 Topps coin
    The flat coin cut from a sheet with Wally Joyner along for the ride. If you do not handle this carefully you could lose a finger.

A loose coin

and my PSA 10

• Options
    Day 177 -- October 1, 2010

Odd 1/1 -- 2005 Topps Rookie Cup --- this is a thick card ~ they split a 1976 card front and back cut out the "rookie cup" and replaced it with a 3D-like verision

imageimage

• Options
    Day 178 -- October 2, 2010

Next few days I would like to show some of my Carter Topps Vault items

First up is the 1987 Glossy Rack Pack slide where the image of the card came from.

They also sent along the env. that they stored the slide in

• Options
    Day 179 -- October 3, 2010

1984 Topps / Ralston Purina proofs add the finished card and cert.

• Options
    Day 180 -- October 4, 2010

1979 Topps proofs and the finished card and cert.

• Options
    Day 181 -- October 5, 2010

This is my favorite Topps Vault item -- it is a 1986 Topps Super 4 color key proof set --- these proofs are not on card stock --- they are on transparencies like the ones my old grammar school teachers used on the overhead projector

The first 86 super on the left is all four color keys stacked together the super on the right is the normal product.

• Options
    Do you ever lose out on an item you want or have most other competitors just given up trying? image
  • Options
    I love the 86 Topps Key Color set, great stuff!
  • Options

<< <i>Do you ever lose out on an item you want or have most other competitors just given up trying? image >>

Yep I would lose out on items alot of times --- several years ago the fine gentleman who posted right after you would grab a bunch of stuff I would be bidding on but every now and then I would out bid him image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Do you ever lose out on an item you want or have most other competitors just given up trying? image >>

Yep I would lose out on items alot of times --- several years ago the fine gentleman who posted right after you would grab a bunch of stuff I would be bidding on but every now and then I would out bid him image >>

Sorry image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yep I would lose out on items alot of times --- several years ago the fine gentleman who posted right after you would grab a bunch of stuff I would be bidding on but every now and then I would out bid him image >>

Sorry image >>

Hey Abe -- I always was gald when I lost out to you because I knew how much of a fan you were (still are) --- ebay was fun back then, no snipes, no shilling always enjoyed the chase -- won some lost some -- but always had fun

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sorry image >>

Hey Abe -- I always was gald when I lost out to you because I knew how much of a fan you were (still are) --- ebay was fun back then, no snipes, no shilling always enjoyed the chase -- won some lost some -- but always had fun >>

Mike,
    I always felt the same way about you and your collection. There was something fun about knowing who was outbidding me in those days.
  • Options
    Day 182 -- October 6, 2010

Ok - so I am watching my sons game this weekend and my wife buys all of us some Cracker Jacks to eat in the stands. I dig into the bag and go right for the prize hoping it is not one of those lameo fold the picture thingy -- you know the young George Washington to old George Washington. Every time we eat Cracker Jacks I tell my kids they had cool prizes when I was growing up and the best was the book of tattoos ~ just lick your hand and apply --- well at least I have the Topps (on left) and O-Pee-Chee (on right) tattoo strips if I ever get the urge.

• Options
    Day 183 -- October 7, 2010 --- HALF WAY COMPLETE ~~~ 182 DAYS TO GO!!!!!

Unreal -- how time really flies --- its been 6 months since I started this thread and today marks that day where there are only 182 more days to go.

I wanted to post something special and what you see below is something that I tought up about 4 months ago -- crazy - no ~~~ unique - yes.

I am a fan of the Peanuts comic strip especially the ones where baseball is involved --- my favorites strips are the Joe Shlabotnik ones. I was finally able to find quality ones on this site
    Every Charlie Brown Strip Ever !!!

I removed the original text and replaced Joe with Gary -- also replacing the Stars of Joe's era with peers of Gary's --- frame 16 is a tribute to other CU player collectors.

I printed out it out poster sized --- sent it to Gary's Foundation with a donation and received the awesome clean sig back. Been waiting a month to show it off.

• Options
    ]Day 184 -- October 8, 2010

1987 General Mills Booklet #5 front and back

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Day 185 -- October 9, 2010

1988 Grenada stamps --- great group of Hall of Famers --- and Charlie Hough

• Options
    Day 186 -- October 10, 2010

1991 St. Vincent Stamps

• Options
    Day 187 -- October 11, 2010

Here is another one of those electronic baseball games a 1988 Starting Lineup Talking Baseball

The game came with a set of cards -- the card on the left came with the game -- there were 40 cards 20 National Stars and 20 American.

The card on the right was from the Mets specific set (They had a set for every team)

As far as the game -- it was ok back then -- I liked being the pitcher more than the hitter. -- I don't remember if the Hall of Fame cartridge came with the set or was it something I had to buy.

• Options
    Wow, I never realized that there was a variation. Another Rice I have to add to the list.
  • Options
    Day 188 -- October 12, 2010

Danbury Mint 22k Gold Gary Carter
    This was part of a 50 card set issued in 1996

imageimage

• Options
    Day 189 -- October 13, 2010

1986 Mets Fan Club full sheet

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

I love the Peanuts strips. Cool stuff.
  • Options
    Day 190 -- October 14, 2010

1987 Mets Fan Club full sheet

• Options
    Day 191 -- October 15, 2010

1988 Mets Fan Club full sheet

• Options
    Day 192 -- October 16, 2010

To round out the Mets Fan Club sheets -- here is 1989

• Options
    Day 193 -- October 17, 2010

1993 Topps Pre-Production Sheet

• Options
    Day 194 -- October 18, 2010

1993 Upper Deck Expos Sheet

• Options
    Love the artwork... but Gene Mauch??
    Collecting Matt Alexander, Manny Sanguillen, and Rennie Stennett - pm me with your oddball items for sale or trade!
  • Options

<< <i>Love the artwork... but Gene Mauch?? >>

I'm gonna say it was due to the fact that Mauch was the first manager for the Expos