Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A Year of Gary Carter --- Day 365

Comments

• Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    Day 122 -- August 7, 2010

These are not National cards but they were given out at a show -- the 2003 Chicago Show

PSA has mislabed the 2 card -- here is another one that will be sent in for the fix

Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    Day 123 -- August 8, 2010

2003 Hawaii Trade Conference 1 of 1 cards

• Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Amazing stuff, especially all of the oddball items. It's always cool for me to see player collectors collections for this very reason. I believe Carter used to collect cards himself, do you know if he still does and what he did/does collect?

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>Amazing stuff, especially all of the oddball items. It's always cool for me to see player collectors collections for this very reason. I believe Carter used to collect cards himself, do you know if he still does and what he did/does collect?

Snorto~ >>

He did as a player - not sure if he does now - he has/had every topps set from 1952 until 1992 (the year he retired), also has/had a great HOF baseball collection --- and I am sure he still has the last ball from Barrett striking out to end the 1986 World Series

• Options
    Day 124 -- August 9, 2010

Some oddball items
    The first is a real dollar with a sticker photo of Gary --- the guy who created this did a great job looks very real

The 2nd, which is a laminated blown-up dollar, I picked up at a show around 87/88. The dealer had all the top players and they were flying off his table.

• Options
    Day 125 -- August 10, 2010

Here and there I pick up some old used kids mits.
    Thought my son would like one when he started playing ball but he wanted a spanking "new" one.

• Options
    Day 126 -- August 11, 2010

Gary Carter Foundation Wiffle Ball (please note it is NOT backyard used)

• Options
    Day 127 -- August 12, 2010

One of my favorite glasses --- have not seen this on ebay in awhile -- would love to have a full set

• Options
    Day 128 -- August 13, 2010

1984 Expos Glass

• Options
    Day 129 -- August 14, 2010

1982 7/11 Slurpee cup --- want a better one due to it being faded but have not seen one in awhile

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>Day 129 -- August 14, 2010

1982 7/11 Slurpee cup --- want a better one due to it being faded but have not seen one in awhile

image >>

1/3 there....can't wait to see the other 2/3'rd's...maybe plus?

As a PC collector myself, I am curious how many things you have in the sub collections I like, such as pins (I think I have like 20 Young pins), books (about a dozen or more), coins (maybe 10 differnt?)...but I am sure you will likely get to those items.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Day 129 -- August 14, 2010

image >>

1/3 there....can't wait to see the other 2/3'rd's...maybe plus?

As a PC collector myself, I am curious how many things you have in the sub collections I like, such as pins (I think I have like 20 Young pins), books (about a dozen or more), coins (maybe 10 differnt?)...but I am sure you will likely get to those items. >>

I am a big fan of the non-card stuff -- just so many different paths to take -- will hope to post all of them before this thread ends

• Options
    Day 130 -- August 15, 2010

Had the American "shot" sized cup for awhile before I even knew about the Canadian "full" sized cup

• Options
    Day 131 -- August 16, 2010

I have a feeling that the Sweet 'N Low inside this Gary Carter Foundation packet will last longer than any card slabbed in plastic.

• Options
    Day 132 -- August 17, 2010

2 Gary Carter magnets
    The first one is ceramic and the second is from a set (not sure of the set size)

• Options
    I've got a Vince Coleman magnet on a filing cabinet in my office.

The Coleman magnet says in small black print at the bottom
    Phoenix
    MLBPA & MLB 1989

Don't know if that is at the bottom of your Carter magnet, but I remember
    buying these magnets at Kmart
  • Options
    Day 133 -- August 18, 2010

Next few days I will be showing some of the video's I have

First up is the 2003 Hall of Fame Induction video --- as I posted before the weekend was awesome and to review the highlights every now and then brings me right back -- interesting to note that this was one of the last years for video and now the Hall of Fame only offers them on DVD

• Options
    Day 134 -- August 19, 2010

What I can say about this video is that the messages are very positive ---- acting leaves a bit to be desired and WOW is it dated.

• Options
    Day 135 -- August 20, 2010

Familiar theme about an old guy getting the chance to be young again and play some baseball -- Gary Carter is cast as the coach of his daughters little league team and during parts of the movie, I am sad to say, he is not so nice. image
    A fun & innocent kids movie

• Options
    Day 136 -- August 21, 2010

1989 Mets Highlights Video -- umm -- Not too many that year but it was the last year Gary was on the Mets , he was hurt for most of the year, but they do have his last home at bat which he pinch hit for Mackey Sasser and hit a double.

• Options
    Day 137 -- August 22, 2010

This video was put out in 1986 but it has footage from 1983 --- there is an interesting part where Gary dresses up like a Samurai when he visits Japan.

• Options
    Day 138 -- August 23, 2010

Very cool video (1987) -- Mickey Mantle, Tom Seaver and Gary Carter helping you learn the ins and outs of playing baseball. Gary's baseball hero is Mickey Mantle.

• Options

<< <i>Gary's baseball hero is Mickey Mantle. >>

Now I know where he got that grin. They are like brothers. image
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Day 139 -- August 24, 2010

I think (?) this is my last Sports Impressions item
    A 1986 SI ceramic card numbered to 1000

• Options
    Day 140 -- August 25, 2010

Next stretch is all about books: some by Gary, some about Gary and some with Gary on the cover.

These 3 were authored by Gary ~~ the first in 1987, 2nd in 2003 and 3rd in 2008

I almost paid 85.00 for his first book (used) --- before I found ebay and before one of these was listed I used a well known book search website ~ they took 2 weeks to find one and for only 85.00 it could be mine --- I waited and about a year later I was hooked on ebay and grabbed the first one I saw ~ paid 7.95 + shipping.

• Options
    Day 141 -- August 26, 2010

A couple of Expos Media Guides or as they say up north Guide Media

Now that Dawson is in the Hall of Fame and possibly the last Expo to be inducted (Raines ???) I might get the '78 signed.

imageimage

• Options
    Day 142 -- August 27, 2010

2 more Expos Media Guides

imageimage

• Options
    Day 143 -- August 28, 2010

1987 National League Green Book

• Options
    Day 144 -- August 29, 2010

A book about the Expos ~~ the English version is a hardcover and the French one is softcover

• Options
    Day 145 -- August 30, 2010

Another French book --- this one has 60+ photos of Gary (all B&W but some cool shots)

• Options
    Day 146 -- August 31, 2010

2 Expos books with Carter on the cover
    The first is a beat up school library soft cover book (library tag is still on it --- the other is the same book but in hard cover with a nice big fat reject stamp on it.

imageimage

• Options
    Day 147 -- September 1, 2010

Very fun book on the 1986 Mets ~ Hard and Softcover

I bought the hardcover and several months later my wife comes home with the softcover ~ very excited thinking that I didn't read the book -- well I didn't have the softcover. image

imageimage

• Options
    Day 148 -- September 2, 2010

Another school library book --- this is similar to the softcover books handed out as SGA by Surf --- not sure if Surf had one made for the Expos

Of all the Expos cards they could of picked for Gary they went with the 1985 one ~ the first year he played for the Mets.

• Options
    Day 149 -- September 3, 2010

Still another school library book - I wonder how many kids did a book report on Gary --- hope to upgrade one day

• Options
    Day 150 -- September 4, 2010

Gary on the cover of a Christian book signed by him and Terry Puhl

• Options
    Day 151 -- September 5, 2010

Nice to be on the cover with George Brett, Dale Murphy and Bo Jackson --- this book comes with cards of all the players but they were missing from this one --- I do have a Gary card which I will show at a later date

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Great thread.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Day 152 -- September 6, 2010

This post hurts a bit --- the 2000 Mets had a great run and the 2010 Mets had the "Runs" since June.
    Boy I can't wait until the start of Football season

• Options
    Day 153 -- September 7, 2010

What a GREAT day in our household --- its the first day of school!!!!!!!!

My 11 and 9 year old were off to school today and to mark this wonderful day I am posting 2 items
    The first is a 1988 Topps school folder I have a loose one and a unopened package with Gary on top.

The second is a ripped in half 1983 Gary Carter drakes card.
    My son has the top part and I have the bottom.

This is something my son and I have been doing ever since he was in the first grade (he is a 6th grader this year). He tends to get nervous at the start of the school year so I will take one of my Carter "beaters" tear it in half and give him a piece --- he feels better because he knows I have the other half in my pocket. He will ask me over the next few weeks if I still have my half (which I do) and eventually he will lose it or he forgets about it but for a few weeks it helps him adjust to a new school year. Not too sure how many more years he will want to do this but it is and will be a wonderful memory years from now.

• Options
    Day 154 -- September 8, 2010

Sticking with a "Back to School" theme --- here is a Canadian PSA poster with French on one side and English on the other

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen that one before! Great stuff Mike.
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    Mdube16Mdube16 Posts: 744 ✭✭

<< <i>Day 153 -- September 7, 2010

The second is a ripped in half 1983 Gary Carter drakes card.
    My son has the top part and I have the bottom.

This is something my son and I have been doing ever since he was in the first grade (he is a 6th grader this year). He tends to get nervous at the start of the school year so I will take one of my Carter "beaters" tear it in half and give him a piece --- he feels better because he knows I have the other half in my pocket. He will ask me over the next few weeks if I still have my half (which I do) and eventually he will lose it or he forgets about it but for a few weeks it helps him adjust to a new school year. Not too sure how many more years he will want to do this but it is and will be a wonderful memory years from now.

image >>

What a great thing you do. Congratulations on being a great Dad.
  • Options
    Day 155 -- September 9, 2010

This is a book that captures the 1986 season and has photos of all the teams, playoffs and World Series.

I can't tell but I would like to think that the ball is in the glove and Milner is out at the plate.

• Options
    Day 156 -- September 10, 2010

A book all about the history of the World Series --- with a small shot of Gary on the back cover

• Options
    Day 157 -- September 11, 2010

Went to Shea on Feb 27, 2005 to sleep out for Mets opening day tickets. I took my son for a few hours and he had a blast - thought it was cool to hang out in the tent and we rode the 7 train into the city and back -- to a 6 year old "it was the greatest day of his life"
    For his dad and uncle it was too -- until the cold set in around 3 in the morning -- who needs toes. Even with the cold it was fun and I can say I did it (will NEVER do it again)
    I took the shots of Shea and the HUGE Carter pic that graced the 3rd base side of the stadium. I blew the Stadium only shot to 20 x 30 and had it signed by Gary in March 2009.

• Options
    Day 158 -- September 12, 2010

Bunch of 1982 Zellers Items

Poster -- I also included the back -- as collectors we always wanted to know how many of our cards were printed, well Zellers gives a nice ballpark -- the 82 set has 20 Panels, 3 cards to each panel = 60 cards to the set --- which gives you over 83,000 of each card printed.

Gary had 15 cards (5 panels) out of the 60 dedicated to him

2 nice PSA 10's --- need to get 19B graded -- are there any other players that have a card of their legs out there?

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Dang

I thought by now you would have shown everything!

You are da man when it comes to Carter.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Day 159 -- September 13, 2010

I was one of those who picked up the Epson V300 (a few threads on this site were dedicated to it) and one of the main reasons was to convert my slides to computer photos --- I have over 50 Carter slides and did take some to the photo store to get prints back but I felt uneasy dropping the slides off --- never had a problem but it took along time and the cost was up there. Well I am thrilled the scanner is awesome, the slides convert great and the cost is crazy (under 100).

Here are a few shots of the scanning process and a few images.

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    I had no idea this much stuff even existed of Gary Carter. Reading through this thread for the first time has been very enjoyable.

Is Gary aware of your massive man crush?

• Options

<< <i>I had no idea this much stuff even existed of Gary Carter. Reading through this thread for the first time has been very enjoyable.

Is Gary aware of your massive man crush? >>

I have met him a few times and I have become friends with one of his friends -- he really is as nice in person as he shows on TV.