Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    sayheykid54sayheykid54 Posts: 779 ✭✭
    The recently purchased Al Kaline ROOKIE and Duke Snider card for my HOF set.

• Options
    The recently purchased Al Kaline ROOKIE and Duke Snider cards for my HOF set.

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Those 54's are killer, nicely done!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    I haven't contributed enough to this thread lately.

A TTM return. About 7-10 days, which isn't bad for the (arguably) greatest American goalkeeper ever.

My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Found a cool Young item I had never seen.

In the 80s and 90s NFL and USFL (not sure if the time period extends or what other sports might make them...I would assume other did or do) would release these 8x10 photos with the team logo across the top and mug shots of usually up to 8 players, with the last sheet having however many players needed. (So a 30 man team would have 8x3 and the final sheet would have 6). I have seen a list member post one or two of these, and on eBay there is a couple of the 1984 LA Express sheets, one with Young and a 1989 (?) 49ers one with Young on it....on both he is the last player and there is space for others.

Here is a companion piece to the 1984 LA Express sheet, but dedicated only to Young. It has the same mug shot and a couple other publicity photos. I found it in a pile of Young wire photos from the Chicago Sun-Times (I think). Interestingly, it looks like the Suns-Times decide it was not Young at first....but then decided it was. Also note the sheet has a crazy diamond cut to it, and reference marks from the papers photo editor.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    I got so depressed about the breakup with my girlfriend who I had planned to marry in the near future....that I had to purchase this:

I hope it helps...when it gets there...none the less its a nice upgrade for my 53BC set.

Loth
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Hah. My guess is that you'll be happier in the long run with the Duke. Beautiful card.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Just got this 7 for 7 card run back of my favorite pitching prospects. The Blue Refractor is #01/99. Good to know I have lost my eye on the modern stuff . . . as infrequently as I dabble in it, now.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet card Ryan!

Scott - modern/vintage - it's all good - very nice group!
    Mike
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hah. My guess is that you'll be happier in the long run with the Duke. Beautiful card. >>

he may be right nice duke!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Greatest thread ever.

No need to question it now.

We all know it true.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I agree

never doubted it

Like a rose

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

This one's been on my wish list quite awhile... The Big Klu!

• Options
    That's one sweet 7! The colors are superb!!!!

Thanx for sharing.
    Mike
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

bump
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

my newest buys

• Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Here are some of my recent pickups...

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Look what Steve Hart sent me! image

Two Dodger high numbers in less than a month, and this one for a very good price (at least in my opinion)!
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    This is definitely the funnest thread of all time. It's great to see what everyone is picking up!

I won an upgrade to my '62T set a few months ago but the card was damaged in the Memphis floods. I got a great deal on the card and was really bummed! I couldn't complain too much though as I wasn't the one going through the flooding. Last week I finally got another shot at a different card and got it. Spent about $30 more on this one, but I'm extremely happy with it!

• Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Biggest thread I evere seen
  • Options
    Very nice Mantle - Mike!
    Mike
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    Added a 70s OPC hockey HOF RC to my collection : 1974 OPC Steve Shutt. At the time of purchase was 1 of only 2 graded PSA 9. 70s PSA 9 OPC hockey is difficult to find. I have been building my 4 sport 1970 and up HOF RC collection in PSA 9 for a while now and hockey is far and away the toughest set to put together.

• Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>Very nice Mantle - Mike! >>

Thanks, Mike! Now to upgrade #s 1 and 598 from the PSA 6s I have. That's gonna be spendy...
  • Options
    dpucciodpuccio Posts: 117
    My newest Rice pickup and my first contribution to this thread.

5/5
  • Options
    dpucciodpuccio Posts: 117
    Duplicate Post
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    More recent pickups:

imageimage
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Got this Aaron a little while back

And just got this in - probably my favorite Clemente card:

Keith
  • Options
    Keith

Those are really sweet!
    Mike
  • Options
    I just picked up this game - tho not totally satisfied with it - I didn't realize it didn't have the instructions - I will see if someone in the game website can offer me a copy.

The game: Big League Baseball -- Copp Clark, c1960

There's no info on the game - I believe it's produced in Canada. Will be checking that out.

Mike
  • Options
    Thanks, Mike. I'm just glad there's a thread where I can share some of my favorite cards and also see what others collect. The breadth and scope of what's on display here never ceases to amaze me.
    Keith
  • Options
    Just picked up these three cards for my 1954 Psa 8 HOF set.
  • Options

Great stuff, all. Especially like that '62 Aaron. image
  • Options
    Superb 54Ts!!!!
    Mike
  • Options
    Just picked up the OPC version, finally. Then learned the error and corrected have * and ** variations. So the hunt continues...

Not really in the mail but a neat addition to my collection. Courtesy of Beckett.

And finally. Where all my mail will now arrive. Our 1st home purchase! We grabbed it for ALOT less (half), than it sold for new 4 years ago.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Congrats on the new digs Donovan. I purchased my first home last November. We were trying to take advantage of the First Time Home Buyer Credit. Anyway, we sent the documentation in immediately and have still not gotten a check.

However, we did get a letter in the mail today saying that we were finally approved and to expect the check in August...with a little bit of interest since it took 8+ months.
  • Options
    Looked for this for a long time and in the past month have seen two on EBay and another in a dealer inventory - happy to have it!
    Collecting Matt Alexander, Manny Sanguillen, and Rennie Stennett - pm me with your oddball items for sale or trade!
  • Options

Congratulations on the pickup!
    Mike
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Fergie - Got to love those 70's hair styles. WTF were they thinking?

Donovan - congrats on getting "published" and the new home.

A couple of my recent pick ups starting with a few additions to my ghetto grade Chicle set, including a HOFer and the first 1K yard rusher. The seller offered a photo of the Dutch card and I was very happy with it in hand... until I scanned the card and it showed the wrinkles to be much more prominent than to the naked eye. Meh, I got a bargain on it with Bing & eBay Bucks, so I will keep it until I find an upgrade:

imageimage

Finally picked up a nicely centered Elmira Express for my 1961 Nu Card set:

Also was entirely too happy to add this limited edition XFL pin set to my defunct football league collection. With only 250 sets made, that represents only 1 per person who watched the XFL or only 50 per person who still collects XFL memorabilia!

And, lastly, I finally found the last card I needed to finish off my 1999 Score Supplemental Inscriptions set to add to my 1996 & 1997 Inscription sets... the big names were easy to find, it was the lesser name short prints that were tough:

imageimage
    imageimage

I was hoping to polish off a few more sets at the National this year, but a project at work isn't going to permit me to steal away to Baltimore.... ah well, there is always next year I guess.

Snorto~
  • Options
    Very nice Snortman - congratulations on finishing your inscriptions set!

Donovan - the article on the variations - was that your input? Nice house! Congrats.
    Mike
  • Options
    Just added this beauty to the unopened collection:

• Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 809 ✭✭✭
    Just picked up my favorite Jordan card in Gem 10 . . .

• Options

<< <i>Just picked up my favorite Jordan card in Gem 10 . . . >>

Nice!
  • Options
    I have slowly been working on this set the last year or so, and somewhere around 70% complete. I finally picked up the Tomlinson Auto...I think the most exspensive card in the set (?). (Although one the BGS 10's Tomlinson regular cards, which are a few of, might go for more). There are some good prices on Tomlinson auto rookies right now on eBay, the lower ends ones at least.

I picked this one up for about half ($75) what I have previously seen it sell.

• Options
    Inscription Set Rocks,
    Love the Michael Jordan Card.
    Any other new cards?
  • Options
    Some recent stuff - nothing really incredible.

This is a fun item - a catcher'e mask endorsed by Mickey Mantle.

Hawthorne #60-4148 Youth Catchers Mask - circa 1950

It was said to be from the 50s - and based on the style of Mick's sig - I would tend to agree - an early 50s sig of the Mick.

These are the two pieces of original pen & ink artwork for card #246 - Jim Perry - for the 67T set.

I picked this up from Steve Kruk - the first thing I've bought from him in almost 20 yrs! Very fair buy.

If anyone has the back - I wouldn't mind if ya posted it - I don't have the matching card.

And last a stack of 10 Mets coasters:

The Amazin Mets of '69

Mike
  • Options
    That guy buried my latest pickup!
    Mike
  • Options
    Awesome pieces Mike. You need to start a museum.
  • Options
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Love the Mick marked mask, Stone! As much as I enjoy building card sets, they spend the majority of their time hidden away in storage boxes or albums. Memorabilia is great because much of it is so easy to display out in the open where it can be readily enjoyed.

A couple highlights for me from this past week starting with a JSA authenticated Walter Payton baseball:

And another modern set completed after I finally won the Michael Irvin 1996 Collectors Edge Cowboybilia Autograph:

Have a great week everyone!

Snorto~
  • Options
    Thanx for the kind words guys!!!!

Congratulations on finishing the set Snortman!!!!

And the Payton auto is really nice - thanx for sharing.
    Mike