Home PSA Set Registry Forum

OFFICIAL Roberto Clemente Master Set thread

Hello,

My name is Howard Chasser - I also go under - "A Few of My favorite Things" and ebay - "favorite_things". In reviewing the numeric ranking of the Clemente master set, I think there are some glaring errors. Having bought, sold, traded, and collected Clemente cards and memorabilia for over 20 years - I would like to propose that a group of master set holders review a proposed numeric ranking that we could submit as a unified group to PSA for consideration. Your thoughts are appreciated. I am working on a draft of the proposal which will soon be ready for your input/comments.

-Howard

PS. I am DESPERATELY looking for a complete 1960 Bazooka box with Clemente. I would offer $3000 for the box in nm condition. I would be willing to buy a complete box set if needed. I would also pay a finders fee of $300 if someone connected me with the owner of one that I ultimately purchased from said owner. I would also offer $40 for a color scan of the front and back of one that might be owned, but not for sale.

Also looking for a 1962 Dapper Dan dinner program with Clemente cover and 1960 Harmony Milk 8 X 10

Comments

• scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards! -- Lots of Clemente fans here.

Scott
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    I look forward to seeing some great cards. Bob should be posting a picture here soon because
    he has everything. When he does just send the 40 to my Paypal account becasue Bob doesn't need the moneyimage
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • I believe I asked Bob and he said he didn't have one.
  • If you want imput on Clemente stuff, go to my good friend who has
    the #1 Master set....Andy.....

He probably can provide you with some insight into tough Clemente cards!

Tony
    KalineFan

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe I asked Bob and he said he didn't have one. >>

You did and he doesn't. Two sets of panels....no boxes........I suck. image
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    How rare are the complete Bazooka boxes relative to the panels?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    Howard-turn on your private message.

• -Bob, You certainly do not suck! What I know of your collection is an amazing collection - ya just can't have everything :-(

-Scott - my PM is turned on

-Mikeschmidt - VERY rare! If Bob has no boxes and 2 sets of panels, that says a lot. I have owned 2 boxes - no Clemente - I'm kinda sorry I sold them now. The panels while not common are in a different class than the boxes. Do you have some or know someone who does? Pm me.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Bob you cost me 40 bucksimage
    You suck lol
    Just kidding image
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • While we are at it - anyone know anyone with a 1966 Topps punchout? For sale or scan? Bob(Did I ask you about that one too)? Thanks.

-Howard
  • Hi Howard,

I am open to making some changes to the Master set but you will want to contact Andy "Boy from Monessen" and Chris Mandell too. I would not feel comfortable making any change they were not ok with.

On the 1960 Bazooka Box, I have never seen one in 5 years of looking, lots of panels no boxes.

Good luck on your set!

Scott
  • Scott - thanks for the input. Once I have what I feel is a relatively accurate draft I am going to e-mail the top 20 set holders for input and after making whatever adjustments which will allow us to present a unified voice to the powers that be at PSA - will present said draft to PSA. Be well.

-Howard
    I've suggested to Howard that, as part of his review process, he should consider a recommendation to remove the 1972 Topps and OPC Bucs Champs cards (both #221). I've never understood why they are included. I could be wrong but I believe the card pictures Jackie Hernandez (at shortstop) and Willie Stargell (in left).

Scott
  • Just a quick update. The top 4 set holders and 2 additional in the top 10 are reviewing a revised weighting proposal. Has anyone been going as crazy as me with PSA choices of deletions (the below is my not so humble opinion):

1) 1969 Milton Bradley Panel - How is this different from a bazooka panel or 68 atlantic oil? Should be left in.

2) 1968 Action all star panel - PSA left one and deleted the other??? Too bad they don't grade the complete 3 panel panels! As they don't both of the single panels should be in.

3) 1969 Stamp panel of 4 - YAY! SHould be gone. The single and if they ever grade the full 12 stamp sheets should be included. There are actually 3 (4 if you include one that was cut incorrectly - it has 2 Clemente stamps on the same sheet!) different 12 stamp sheets that include Clemente.

4) 1968 Plak Checklist? Gone- now it's back!?

5) 1967 Disc - optional?? One of the hardest Test issues that seperates the men from the boys and it's excluded?????????

6) 1970 Square cut super blank back proof - As no other "proofs" are included/allowed (or even graded for that matter- how did these slip through). Good call.

Did I miss any?

It leaves me with a lack of confidence in the system when the rule makers are clearly not informed enough about many of these issues nor humble enough to reach out to those who have the knowledge.
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Guys
    I have a 1955 Topps Clemente graded a PSA 8oc. The centering is not one that is hard on the eyes but it is 25/75 left to right. My question is what is the value of this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Shane,

Can you post a scan? That would be helpful.

-Howard
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Howard,
    I just bought a complete set in Heritage Auctions last Thursday that had a very nice PSA 8 Koufax and 8oc Clemente. If you would not mind checking www.ha.com and pull up the auction to give me your advice. I know that some can somehow post a scan of another on the message board for others to view. If you know how to do this, I would really appreciate it.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Hi Shane,

I don't do much with his regular issue cards, so I am not as familiar as with some of the odd, insert, regional and test stuff. That said, my estimate would be in the $700-$1000 range. On the upside - the centering isn't as bad as it can be sometimes, on the downside - the corners as best I can tell from the heritage scan leads me to believe that the 8 was very generous. Anyone else want to weigh in? Hope that helps.

-Howard
    Looks like the two 1972 Bucs Champs cards were removed.

Thanks to whomever got this done.

Scott
  • You did Scott. By raising it as an issue. I haven't heard from anyone yet on the weights - please send feedback - we CAN make a difference.

-Howard
  • Sorry have not had much time to look over the list Howard but on this list, my issue with #1 is the cards were issued in a long panel inside the game- think 8 cards. You could therefore make a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ,6, 7, and 8 card panels for grading. This is in the same lines as the 1969 topps stamp issues you have discussed that could be seperated in any number of combos. I believe a card should either be a single or the panel it was issued as with no changes.

1) 1969 Milton Bradley Panel - Left out

2) 1968 Action all star panel - Both should be in

3) 1969 Stamp panel of 4 - YES- Should be GONE. The single and if they ever grade the full 12 stamp sheets should be included. Agree!!!

4) 1968 Plak Checklist? Needs to be in set!

5) 1967 Disc - optional?? Should be in

6) 1970 Square cut super blank back proof - I am open, there was a number of these so its an atttainable card. My preference would be to include.

Hope to work on the list soon.

• just listed i seen a clemente topps file copy serial # 1/1 beckett graded 1967 n. l. batting leaders.the seller ebay name was bryant9392
  • Thanks again for the input Scott. Just confirmed your statement on the 1969 Milton Bradley panel and agree with you - it should NOT be included in the set. Any other set holders want to chime in?
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Just put 8 Clemente Basic cards up for sale on the BST boards. I have the following for sale:

1969 Topps PSA 8
    1972 Topps PSA 8

Scans and prices are on the first page of the BST boards. Very nice centered copies of all the above.

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miller update your price list.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Clemente master set collectors - where are you? I have gotten feedback from nobody yet!
    It looks like PSA is now differentiating among the variations of the 1963 Topps Peel-offs - blank back vs. instruction back

Clemente Peel-off Auction

I researched this a while back and learned that neither variation is particularly tougher than the other, i.e., print runs were about equal.

That said, I doubt the current example for auction is a true 1 of 1 but it certainly is tough in PSA 9 (as there are only 5 total in the pop report of any variety).

• There are actually a number of vaiations that are not yet recognized by PSA:

Nabisco team flakes wide border and narrow border
    1967 Dexter Team and all star
    Post cereal tint variations
    Salada 180 back
    1968 3-d blank back/printed back
    1969 stamps - 3 different full sheet variations
    Kellogs print variations

-Howard
    Looks like the 1963 Topps Peel-off variations have been split in the registry.

We're now up to an even 200.
  • Yeah, but still no Disc! How ridiculous! Details to follow.
  • CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭
    Hey there Clemente collectors....

saw this thread on the front page and figured I'd interrupt image

I remembered making this "card that never was" back when I was
    on another forum, and thought some here might like to check it out.
    It's a 1971 Topps Greatest Moments tribute to Clemente....

• Great card! Thanks for sharing.
    I just started the Clemente master set. Even though I never saw him play. He was my Dad's favorite player and that made me become a fan of the great 21. I'm not sure if I will ever complete this set, but I will give it a try. The one thing I do not like in the set is the team cards. I wish the set was just the individual cards of Clemente, but anyway it will be a joy to build.

Here are some of my recent pick ups.

1971 Milk Duds

1972 Kelloggs

1965 Topps Embossed
    Bobby -- Nice pickups . . . and I'm glad to see you have started on this great set -- although I don't really need the competition image

Just picked this one up last week;

Scott, I decided to focus on one player. So why not Clemente. It makes it easier and more fun. BTW that's a very cool $5 bill. Is that tough to find?
  • Welcome to Clemente collecting Bobby. This master set IMHO is one of the most hotly pursued. Some VERY active set collectors here. So buckle your seatbelt and enjoy the ride.

BTW Scott, my stuff should be coming out of storage by July ;-) Start saving now.
    FT, Thanks. I've been collecting the basic Clemente's for a while. I hate to date myself, but starting collecting in the early 80's with my dad. I decided to sell all my other cards and focus on buying only Clemente's. I have to continually remind myself it's not a sprint, but a marathon when building this set. Thanks again for the welcome.
    Here is my latest pickup. Thanks again to board member Scott "Scotgreb" for selling this stamp to me. Only 11 have been graded.

Just received this one in the mail today.

• mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    This is one of my favorite Clemente cards. It is tough to find in high grade.

<< <i>This is one of my favorite Clemente cards. It is tough to find in high grade. >>

That's a tough card to find period. That's a great looking card. I love the cartoon look. Thanks for sharing

Here's my newest pick up. Thanks to Bob "Oaksey25" How is this only a 5?

• mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That's a tough card to find period. That's a great looking card. I love the cartoon look. Thanks for sharing >>

I had a small find of these cards around 10 years ago. As for this Clemente card, I had graded the only PSA 9 and PSA 9 OC and 5 out of the 7 PSA 8's. I sold a PSA 8 a few years ago for $500. I do not think most people know how rare this card and the other high numbers from this set really are. I still have the PSA 9 and 4 PSA 8's but the PSA 9 and 3 PSA 8's are locked up in registry sets. This one and I also have a PSA 7 are my only extras. Probably should send this card in for a review and see if I can get a bump on the grade.

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice that Post had enough respect for the man to call him by his proper name, unlike some other company I could name.

Is that a 5 because of the lack of dotted lines? Whatever is going on, it's a really nice looking card.

<< <i>Is that a 5 because of the lack of dotted lines? Whatever is going on, it's a really nice looking card >>

GDM67, I have know idea what it's a 5. I'm not sure about the lack of dotted lines. Thanks again, it is a nice looking card.
    Here's my newest Clemente pickup

• Nice looking 71 topps super!!! Your collection is moving along nicely )
  • Hey all I just checkout out some of the master sets latest additions and one of them I want your view on-

1973 ALLIED PRINTING CLEMENTE MEMORIAL POSTCARD ROBERTO CLEMENTE

I just dont feel a memorial card should ever be included in a player set, these are supposed to be card issued when he was alive and playing.

What do you all think?

<< <i>I just dont feel a memorial card should ever be included in a player set, these are supposed to be card issued when he was alive and playing. >>

I agree it doesn't belong.
  • It gets a little tricky as with the same logic you would exclude the 1973 Topps and OPC issues as both were issued after his death. It is a legitimate issue and as long as the other mentioned cards are in, I'm okay with its inclusion.

Here's another question - how does everyone feel about the Topps Disc "optional" status?

-Howard
    I just dont feel a memorial card should ever be included in a player set, these are supposed to be card issued when he was alive and playing.

What do you all think?

If memory serves, the logic behind including "the year following the last playing year" was to include final career stats.

IMO, if the card does not fit that purpose, it should not be included.