Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

OFFICIAL Roberto Clemente Master Set thread

Comments

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Jeff. I just saw a lot of gray backs at the National which is a harder card to find, but found it difficult to find the white backs.

I got these graded at the show

The 1973 team card was in a SGC 8.5 holder, I cracked it and it came back a 9

This card I had since I can remember, picked it up at a Pirates game at Three Rivers in the early 70's. There is a tape stain on the back of the card which hurt the grade. I thought it would be a 4, I guessed wrong.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options
    Chris, Those are beautiful cards. Those Jay pubs are stunning.
  • Options
    Here are my latest pick ups. Thanks to Mike (MBothner) for a very smooth transaction on the 71 Fleer WS Clemente and the 56 Topps Pirates team card

• Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    Great job Bobby -- that 1971 Fleer is a super tough card.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Bobby, Great additions. That 71 Fleer is cool, and of course the 71 Topps Team is such a cool card with the back borders.

• Options
    Here's my latest addition. This is a tough card to find in any grade. I would love to see other members odd ball Clemente cards.

• Options
    Heres a couple Odd Ball Ones for you Bobby-

• Options
    Scott, The Bazooka panel is sweet and thanks for sharing. I enjoy looking at your collection.

BTW how hard are those Plaks checklists?

• Options
    Thanks Bobby, your collection is looking great too.

On the Plaks its one of the harder test cards, price range for an auth $800-1100, the highest graded a PSA 7 just went for 22k. Took me 5 years to get mine.
  • Options
    It's been over a week since I last posted. Here are my latest additions. I dropped these off at the National to get graded and received them in the mail today. I wasn't expecting much in the grades. The 61 has sentimental value to me, because my dad and I got this card together in the mid 80's at a card show and the 62 Post I picked up for a song and dance.

• Options
    Here's my latest addition to my Clemente collection

• Options
    Well I dont get to add much these days but here are two new ones.

I have been looking for a gradable 1960 panel going on 6 years so scooped up a nice looking auth to fill the spot. The action all star is super hard to get, I am still looking for the full panel and the 3 player one but I did manage to pickup this already seperated single, total pop all grades on this card is 5.

• Options
    Both nice and EXTREMELY tough pickups Scott!
  • Options
    Does anyone have a scan / photo of the latest addition to the registry . . .

1971-1972 PITTSBURGH PIRATES TEAM ISSUE ROBERTO CLEMENTE

Scott

• Options
    image Just wondering that myself. Anybody?
  • Options
    Paging Mr. MtJoy . . .
  • Options
    Scott, great pick ups. Love the 68 sticker.
  • Options
    Here is my recent Clemente pick up a common card, but wanted to share

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,

This thread has a lot of amazing cards posted in it. Very impressive.

I'm just getting serious about putting together a basic Clemente set in PSA 8 and higher, but I have been collecting O-Pee-Chee Clemente's for years. This PSA 7 1970 OPC Clemente is now Bobby's. Hope you like it!

Thanks,

Nathaniel
  • Options
    Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options
    Chris, You're killing me! That 64 Clemente in PSA 8 is the last card I need for my Basic Set. You want to make a quick $100 on your purchase, please PM me. Here is my most recent purchase, that has me needing just that 64 Clemente in PSA 8.

• Options
    some more favorites

• Options
    Hey Chris, Nice pick ups. Here's my latest which isn't much.

• Options
    Mdube16Mdube16 Posts: 744 ✭✭
    Figured I would post this here. I had this in the BST board a few months ago but this seems like the right group to target

I have a 1971 NL all-star ball that was origionally obtained from Manny Sanguillen. It was certified by PSA/DNA this month and comes with their full letter. The key on the ball is a very sharp Clemente.

There are 29 signatures on the ball including 5 Hall of Famers. There are 7 Clubhouse signatures on the ball that are noted here.

Autographs include:
    SS: Sparky Anderson, Mc Covey (CH)
    Panel 1: Johnny Bench, Felix Milan, Ron Santo, Dock Ellis, Willie Mays (CH), Danny Murtaugh, Rick Wise
    Panel 2: Willie Davis, Nate Colbert, Hank Aaron, Willie Stargell (CH), Roberto Clemente
    Panel 3: Walt Alston (CH), Manny Sanguillen, Bud Harrelson, Clay Carroll, Don Kessenger, Lou Brock (CH), Larry Dierker, Joe Torre
    Panel 4: Rusty Staub (CH), Preston Gomez (CH), Tom Seaver, Pete Rose, Glenn Beckert, Bobby Bonds

Im tossing this out to see what kind of trade offers I can get. Im interested in Vintage PSA star cards, Game Used items, Complete Sets ect. I would also consider cash/trade offers.

For references my ebay ID is ldsports. My only completed transaction here was the sale of a Clemente Rookie to BunchOBull.

Ill take PMs here or feel free to email me at mdube16@bellsouth.net

Thanks!
    Mark

• Options
    Thank you to Natan for my first Clemente O-Pee-Chee card. I received this today.

• Options
    Nice 70 OPC Bobby, you should try to add as many of these as possible. Would go nicely with you're Basic Set.
  • Options
    lets keep this thread to the top
  • Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    It's not in the master set but is pretty cool.

• Options
    Nice Looking card, MBothner. I hate how PSA put these thicker cards in those holders. They are oversized beasts.
  • Options
    Mike pretty cool jersey card.

I picked this up raw and just got it back today from PSA. Overall I'm very pleased with grade.

My scanner does not scan well when it comes to coins or pins. Any suggestions?

• Options
  • Options
    Just added a couple tough oversized issues . . . both only have a handful graded.

• Options
    Scott, Great looking black and white's

I just got this one back from PSA. I bought this one at the National raw. I was a little disappointed at the grade. I really thought this was at least a 7 if not an 8

• Options
    Can someone explain to me why the weights changed on the Clemente registry?
  • Options
    Hi Bobby,

I have been working with PSA on getting the weights changed for some time. A long time ago I sent proposed new weights to the top 10 master set holders to which I received no response. I have since been trying to point out some (in my opinion) glaring errors - like the 6 weight on a Milk Duds single vs. a 2 weight on a milk duds box. The single should never have been higher than the box and neither has a market value to support a 6 weighting. The weight is based on what a specific card's market value is in PSA 8 condition. I know it might seem like the "fox" guarding the chickens as I am part of the set registry, but I assure you my interest is simply having the registry weights be accurate per PSA's stated standards leaving an equal playing field for all of us.

-Howard
  • Options
    Why is the 1971 FLEER WORLD SER. 71 PIRATES/ORIOLES only weighted a 2.00 when it is very rare in high grade? A regular 1972 Topps Clemente is rated a 2.00 and that card is easy in just about any grade.
  • Options

<< <i>Why is the 1971 FLEER WORLD SER. 71 PIRATES/ORIOLES only weighted a 2.00 when it is very rare in high grade? A regular 1972 Topps Clemente is rated a 2.00 and that card is easy in just about any grade. >>

Hi Mike,

First a point of clarification - the weight (for better or worse) is NOT based on how rare a card is or how rare it is in any particular grade. The weights are based on what the value of the card is in PSA 8.
    That stated, I agree that the fleer ws should have a weight of 3 according to the PSA standard where the '72 topps is properly weighted at a 2. There are many other issues that I believe are not properly weighted. PSA uses SMR as their starting point (I believe that is a big part of the problem), I know they look at other major publications (Standard catalog for one) when there is no SMR. Understandably, they cannot just take a persons opinion (educated or otherwise) on what a value/weight should be - there needs to be some objectivity involved. I think they would be better served to use VCP as a base or develop their own auction tracking/averaging tools. There would still exist a problem in valuing/weighting one or two of a kind items and other rare/scarce thinly traded items. Hope that helps and happy collecting.

-Howard
  • Options

<< <i>The weights are based on what the value of the card is in PSA 8. >>

There are only 7 PSA 8's of the 1971 FLEER WORLD SER. 71 PIRATES/ORIOLES Clemente card. I have 4 of them and have previously sold one for $550. I also have the only PSA 9. That accounts for 5 of the 7 PSA 8's. I had my 5 PSA 8's graded so none of those were prior sales. Just don't see how PSA comes up with a 2.00 for that card. I agree with you that it should be at least a 3 if not a 4 based on it's value.
  • Options
    Getting the weights right is not easy, everyone has an idea of what they want it to be based on their own needs and taking into account cost, rarity and other factors.

On the 71 fleer I agree its a hard card to get but I think a 2 is about right for it, the reason I dont think it should be any higher is it only shows a drawn picture of clemente but it is really a world series card and not a player card, to me its no different than a team card and should be weighted the same. I also think it might be a little self serving to be trying to get it raised when you have 4 of them in high grade.
  • Options

<< <i> I also think it might be a little self serving to be trying to get it raised when you have 4 of them in high grade. >>

lol. Not what I was trying to do but I just know the card well.
  • Options
    Mike, I agree its a very hard card to get for sure and I'm sure your much more of an expert on the 71 fleer than I ever will be. That said I have collected the Clemente Master set for a long time and its much different than collecting a set. The ranking varies by person but in general single cards that were made of the player have a much higher weight than any leader, team or world series card of that player and I am in full agreement on that.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike, I agree its a very hard card to get for sure and I'm sure your much more of an expert on the 71 fleer than I ever will be. That said I have collected the Clemente Master set for a long time and its much different than collecting a set. The ranking varies by person but in general single cards that were made of the player have a much higher weight than any leader, team or world series card of that player and I am in full agreement on that. >>

Hi Scott,

I don't love the system, but the system is - a card is weighted according to its value in a PSA 8 grade - If it's a team card, a drawn card, whatever card - according to the system matters only to the extent that it affects the card value in the marketplace - so, something like the team cards which are for the most part in large supply and less demand are going to command lower prices and therefore garner lower weights. The 1971 fleer while I agree is not as desireable from the fact that it is drawn, increases in value because of its significantly short supply hence deserving a higher weight (according to PSA's system).
  • Options
    Howard, Thanks for your explanation. I was a little upset with the changes, because I was finally over a 2 in weight and then when the changes were made I went under a 2. image I totally agree with you on the Milk Duds card, I always wondered why the single was weighted more then the box. Thanks again. image
  • Options
    Howard -- Can you please post some pics/scans of your new additions? -- and congrats on attaining the highest percentage image
  • Options
    Here are the new Bazooka boxes that were added. Appearance is MUCH nicer than technical grades assigned. Also included a really rare 1960 complete box with Aaron in a PSA 8! The only '60 complete box graded - anyone have the Clemente - I'd pay REALLY well for it?? I am also doing some research on the Clemente bazooka boxes. Please PM me a scan if you have anything other than a 1971 - in return I will tell you the dual purpose of my research.
  • Options
    How do you post the images so they show up as pictures and not links?
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    you have to get a photobucket account..then paste the link..

awesome boxes.. crazy hard to find
  • Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    How does the 1963 clemente bazooka box get the "complete box" when it is missing part of the end flap ? Not sure of PSA criteria..can someone explain.
    is that why it received a 5 ?

• Options
    The overall weight continues to drop. Is PSA still tinkering with this? It's starting to get frustrating. Shouldn't the registry members have a say in this?