Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    I really enjoy looking at this thread. There are always greats cards and photos to see. I am not a football collector. However, the '51 Bowman set is stunning. I also like the photos. I cannot imagine how rough the sport was back then.

Mike: I never get tired of seeing your T3s. I love the set. However, I never had the patience to complete it.

ajw: I can imagine how excited you are about the Aqueous Test card. That is a super tough card. Congrats.

Here are some random cards that I have acquired.

The 1951 Topps Connie Mack All-Stars is a set that I am working on. It is small enough to keep my interest. I am missing 2 cards to complete the set. Unfortunately those are the two most expensive cards. Here is the Johnson from the set.

This is another set that I am working on. Since it is too rare to complete, I am not under any pressure to actually complete it. It used to be known as M101-6; but, it is now known as Felix Mendelsohn 1917-20. These were premiums issued from 1917 through 1920. They were advertised in the Sporting News. The key premium in the set is Babe Ruth. It has him in a Red Sox uniform but with the Yankees. It was issued in 1919/20 and is considered the first card/premium of him with the Yankees. This is the Walter Johnson considered to be issued in 1917.

This is my favorite set from the 1930s. It is tacky but I always liked it.

• Options
    DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213
    Some new additions to my Phillies collection.....

• Options

• Options
    I love revisiting this thread to see all the great variety of cards that others collect. Here are a couple of my recent additions:

Keith
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

ajw: I can imagine how excited you are about the Aqueous Test card. That is a super tough card. Congrats. >>

Thanks...I am excited. Frankly, I'm not sure it's really sunk in. It's not even a card that was on my want list, if you know what I mean. The Aqueous and 1992 Donruss Super Diamond King are probably the only two "mythic" Will Clark cards, at least in my book. Never thought I'd see them, much less one one. I can't wait for it to come back from SGC; hopefully by the middle of next week.

<< <i>The 1951 Topps Connie Mack All-Stars is a set that I am working on. It is small enough to keep my interest. I am missing 2 cards to complete the set. Unfortunately those are the two most expensive cards. Here is the Johnson from the set.

>>

I *love* that Connie Mack card. Just a fantastic looking issue, and presents so well for the grade!

I'm sure I'm like many people here, in that there are threads and scans that make me say "wow, I could totally collect that set" at least three times a week.

Keep up the good work, guys!
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are some additions to my Big Red Machine collection...

• Options
    Havent posted on this thread for awhile

• Options
    it's amazing how long this thread has been kept up to date. I looked through the first 30 or so pages and even though a lot of the pics are dead, the ones that are posted provide a visual reminder of how diverse a group of collectors we have on this board. they also provide an idea of who was really active and at what times over the last 4 years. going through those first several pages, i noticed a lot of names i recognized that are either gone or hardly post. it's amazing that my first post on this thread was nearly 4 years ago! where the hell did the damn time go? (and i still have that aaron in my collection!)
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Packman I have always really liked both the Connie Macks and DeLongs. If I collected baseball, I would be chasing them both in mid and low grade respectively. No idea how that Big Train is only a 5 based on the scan and that Gehrig displays great for a 3. Nice update!

Snorto~
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As usual, superb stuff.

jd - the Yogi and Mick are incredible! Congratulations! Both have great centering!

Thanx to everyone for posting their pickups - truly inspiring.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Another addition to my Mike Schmidt collection......

• Options
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Looks great slabbed, congrats!
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    While I'm waiting for my '52 Topps Campy to show up I figured I would post some of the Cardinals cards that I've gotten recently

I got these in a deal with yankeeno7 (Thanks Barry!):
    2001 SPx Winning Materials Jim Edmonds dual GU
    2006 Topps Heritage Clubhouse Collection Jim Edmonds
    2005 Topps Heritage Clubhouse Collection Red Schoendienst
    2008 Stadium Club First Day Production Albert Pujols
    2007 Topps '52 Brian Barden auto
    2004 Topps Heritage Chrome Refractor Yadier Molina #497/555
    2005 Topps All-Time Fan Favorites Chrome Refractor Stan Musial #163/299

2006 UD Ovation Gold Adam Wainwright auto #39/99 (from a trade w/ jeffo81. Thanks Jeff!)
    2006 SP Authentic Chirography Gold Adam Wainwright auto #35/75 (eBay purchase)
    2009 UD Spectrum of Stars Ed O'Neil auto (from random pack purchase and one of my new favorite cards image)
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I got nothing, so I'll just say nice additions all around!
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    Picked this up at the recent Memory Lane auction. This is the first of the 6 (Bradshaw, Greene, Staubach, Maravich, Gretzky, Dryden) really expensive PSA 9s I need for my HOF RC collection.

Robb

• Options
    CARDSANDCOINSCARDSANDCOINS Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    CARDSANDCOINSCARDSANDCOINS Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
    Have you noticed Mike Schmidt is wearing Ryne Sandberg's jersey on his 1983 Donruss Card?
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>Have you noticed Mike Schmidt is wearing Ryne Sandberg's jersey on his 1983 Donruss Card? >>

Nice catch! I had never seen that before.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    That's crazy! I wonder what the story is behind that.
  • Options

<< <i>Have you noticed Mike Schmidt is wearing Ryne Sandberg's jersey on his 1983 Donruss Card? >>

That's a *really* good catch. If you don't mind, I'm going to send Paul Lukas a link to this thread. He writes UniWatch on ESPN.com and obsesses over odd little uniform issues. He'll find this fascinating, as last week a Blue Jay pitcher wore a different player's jersey, and Lukas said he couldn't find another example of that occurring in an MLB game.
  • Options
    Got this nice Bench Rookie in the mail today for my collection.

• Options
    Not the greatest PSA 6 in the world but very happy to finally own one none the less.
  • Options
    Post not showing up? Flip?
  • Options
    Flip
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Picked this up at the recent Memory Lane auction. This is the first of the 6 (Bradshaw, Greene, Staubach, Maravich, Gretzky, Dryden) really expensive PSA 9s I need for my HOF RC collection.

Robb

image >>

incredibly nice! I am jealous!
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

It has been next to impossible to find the few PSA 10 upgrades for my 1961 Nu-Card Set Registry (you can click at the bottom to view scans of my set!)...

I traded MOSH (cash and my 2 PSA 9s) for these two upgrades. (Thanks to Rick Snyder at Mint State for getting the deal done for me!)...

rd

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It has been next to impossible to find the few PSA 10 upgrades for my 1961 Nu-Card Set Registry (you can click at the bottom to view scans of my set!)...

I traded MOSH (cash and my 2 PSA 9s) for these two upgrades. (Thanks to Rick Snyder at Mint State for getting the deal done for me!)...

rd

image >>

These are really nice. Great pickup, Bob .
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Just got this 1960 Hank Aaron in the mail. Love the centering on this one....

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    I've been trying to find the key card in each of the 70s sets in a high grade. This one took a while to find at the right price. But, growing up I loved watching Mike Schmidt play so it's a card I'll likely hold onto for a long time.

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭
    Thunderdan ... Nice Schmidt. I need to pick one of those up some day.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been trying to find the key card in each of the 70s sets in a high grade. This one took a while to find at the right price. But, growing up I loved watching Mike Schmidt play so it's a card I'll likely hold onto for a long time. >>

Congrats on getting that Ron Cey card...It's an awesome card!!!!!! J/k, I know u got it as a Schmidt card.

brian
  • Options

<< <i>Thunderdan ... Nice Schmidt. I need to pick one of those up some day. >>

Thanks. It's one I've wanted for a while. Great player. Loved the way he played.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I've been trying to find the key card in each of the 70s sets in a high grade. This one took a while to find at the right price. But, growing up I loved watching Mike Schmidt play so it's a card I'll likely hold onto for a long time. >>

Congrats on getting that Ron Cey card...It's an awesome card!!!!!! J/k, I know u got it as a Schmidt card.

brian >>

Brian-

Between Cey, John Hilton's sweet glasses and Mike's lambchop sideburns, I'd say you can't go wrong. Cey was a really good player in his day, too.

• Options
    Here's another recent acquisition that's truly one of my favorites. In my opinion, one of his best poses on any of his cards. I love the '57 designs as well.

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Holy crap, that's a great '57 Clemente. And, holy crap, these are the kind of threads that should be at the top of Page 1, if only everyone would stop engaging the morbidly stupid.

• Options

<< <i>Holy crap, that's a great '57 Clemente. And, holy crap, these are the kind of threads that should be at the top of Page 1, if only everyone would stop engaging the morbidly stupid. >>

+1

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options

BTW, Oh Roberto! (Nice Clemente card!)

Don't you think these artists' renderings of "mini-autos" from 1966 do "hit home" 43 years later?

(my 25-card set" 1966 Miniature Cars & Scooters by Ewbanks Tea)

rd

imageimage

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's another recent acquisition that's truly one of my favorites. In my opinion, one of his best poses on any of his cards. I love the '57 designs as well.

image >>

GREAT looking card . Its one of my favorites of his. I'd love to own one like that , but will gladly settle with what I own.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options

<< <i>BTW, Oh Roberto! (Nice Clemente card!)

Don't you think these artists' renderings of "mini-autos" from 1966 do "hit home" 43 years later?

rd

imageimage
    image >>

I like those Ewbanks Tea cards. Are those all supposed to be futuristic? Most appear to be. But, for example, one of the cards looks to be a Vespa scooter which surely was around back then.

• Options

<< <i>I like those Ewbanks Tea cards. Are those all supposed to be futuristic? Most appear to be. But, for example, one of the cards looks to be a Vespa scooter which surely was around back then. >>

Most seemed to be functional prototypes, as engine sizes, miles per gallon, miles per hour, sustained highway miles, etc. are described on the reverse descriptions.

rd
  • Options
    wow....that is a beautiful Schmidt!
    volpe cups, oddball Topps issues
  • Options

<< <i>BTW, Oh Roberto! (Nice Clemente card!)

rd

imageimage
    image >>

Like those tea cards. One of them looks like a Vespa scooter? The rest I'm assuming were futuristic for the time.

• Options

Lovin' this pick-up. Must be a surface wrinkle somewhere. Woohoo!

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Thunder, that Clemente leaves me speechless.

"Molon Labe"

• Options

<< <i>Lovin' this pick-up. Must be a surface wrinkle somewhere. Woohoo!

image >>

Wow. That's by far the nicest 5.5 I've ever seen. Sweet!

• Options

<< <i>Wow. That's by far the nicest 5.5 I've ever seen. Sweet! >>

Thanks... I did find something on the back that looks like it could be construed as a wrinkle, but, man, if that's it, it's unbelievably nitpicky.. The other possibility I think is the school of fish-eyes in the inset... Maybe the submitter asked for no qualifiers and got hammered down to the 5.5.

• Options
    A couple of new additions to my Robin Roberts collection. I am only a couple cards away from completing the basic set.

• Options
    And another addition to my slowly growing Steve Carlton Basic/Master sets....