Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When will Platinum Eagles reappear?

Comments

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Your loading up on silver must be about 10 ounces since no real quantities exist at "paper" prices.

And I dont mean to only focus my comments at any one board member, that is not the intention....

the intention is to SHARE information,

those who think they can pick up a phone and call a few sellers to buy silver at last friday's closing prices are in for a SURPRISE******

sold out, nothing available, 3 month delayed shipping, how about $20 an oz.?

Now you all will come full circle and understand the difference between the physical market and the paper market

• Options
    I'd be able to retire if I could sell at the prices they do! I wonder what it would cost to have a guest spot on the show and get rid of my entire collection at a 400% profit!
  • Options
    7over8 its so funny listening to you- your ego is just KILLING me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have 3 sources to get silver and got a 1000oz bar when it dropped below 10. I also bought 300 rounds maples, eagles, and philharmonics for $13/oz. Where? Be happy to post it after your apology smartmouth!
  • Options

<< <i>Now you all will come full circle and understand the difference between the physical market and the paper market >>

If you follow the derivatives of the paper silver, it will eventually end up being a sub-prime mortgage.image
  • Options
    Agreed I don't buy the paper just the real stuff and agreed its not easy to get but you can if your are persistent and know where to go!
  • Options
    As for PLATS, be patient to buy from the USM in a month's time at reduced prices.

My call to the Office of Public Affairs at the USM revealed what we all know, "The Platinum UNC's ***WILL*** be re-offered later this year"

That message is pretty clear. Sales are far too low and currently don't even reflect returns for the first two weeks of August.

They were pulled for repricing, and PLAT spot prices have retreated over $1100 and oz since August. My guess (opinion) is ~$1300-1400 oz re-priced, probably $1399/1oz; $759/ 1/2oz; $379/ 1/4oz; $159 1/10 oz - - set $2650; close to 06W issue pricing.

SELLERS should sell raws at moon prices now, or risk being underwater in a month or so.

The USM will not destroy or melt remaining stocks of coins. They will sell them until exhausted - into 09.

Will this issue's mintage be less than the 06W? Based of previous trends, the USM projects sales and production based on prior year mintages. 2007-W mintages exceeded 06W mintages by a fair margin. If the production is based on one, two or three productions runs - this is the key that holds some clue to the final answer.

• Options
    then you are aware that 1000/oz bars are not the preferred method of holding silver?

and you are also aware that sales of such bars to large firms may require re-assay?

and pricing on 1000/oz bars are based on paper market trends, heavily manipulated and provide more risk to buyers to potential downside exposure?
  • Options
    you answered your own question, $13 /oz on rounds.

$13 an oz on rounds when the paper market was at $9.80 was reasonable. There is availability at $3 or more over spot for smaller quantities.

not as you mentioned a few posts earlier about buying under $10/oz..........

Seven, I offer no apology. I offer hard facts from 35 years in this arena.
  • Options
    Gosh I hope you don't have kids. If you did, I would imagine they despise you. No one likes a know it all who obviously doesn't...
  • Options
    the newbies know-it-all, at least my kids are much smarter than you are.

why dont you do your homework before you spew your bs on the thread......

or is it possible you have some auctions ready to go on the 'bay and you want to promote them?????

we dont want unsuspecting buyers to get burned......information is key......
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Why don't you numbers just get along, shoot between the two of there is almost eight...image
  • Options
    78 is a lonely old man whose kids don't like him so he attacks others! I don't understand it! He should just try and be a better human being and apologize already! Be a better person, prove to everyone on this site that you can be a bigger person!
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take off the board and to the PM.s please.

I have a gut feeling the 2008 W 1 oz plats will be back and the fractionals will not.
  • Options

<< <i>As for PLATS, be patient to buy from the USM in a month's time at reduced prices.

My call to the Office of Public Affairs at the USM revealed what we all know, "The Platinum UNC's ***WILL*** be re-offered later this year"

>>

How about if Platinum spot prices start going up in a few weeks and become more volatile on the upside?

I doubt the Mint will offer them or at least they will become delayed for repricing once again.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> 3. I wanted to return the overpriced coins but told myself no, no, no! This is the time to buy when no one wants it!!!! q]

I wish that I had the same hunch! I purchased a set of 4 2008 W Plat. UNCS from the Mint, than bought a set of NGC 70s from Gainesville Coins. The 4 coin set was just perfect, each coin really looked perfect. I sent them back. My wife told me to hold them. I should have listened. Bummer.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    7over8 notes: "The Platinum UNC's ***WILL*** be re-offered later this year"

Did they say anything about the 2008 Plat. Proofs? Thanks.
  • Options
    No word on the PLAT proofs - I'm not the guy to ask there, Eric may be able to opine.

The fractional UNCS will return as well.

When they do return, it may be for a short appearance before they go black.

I dont shoot off my mouth like others, I personally know of at least 150 pieces returned in the last days of the 30 day return priv. not reflected in the numbers.
  • Options
    Seven

No attack at all going on here.

You are just running off your mouth about the UNC's being done and spewing valuation numbers like 11k, 14k, 30k, if you started with "my opinion is, or IMO" - it would go over better.

I guess it's your youthful inexperience.

Read some threads, gain some knowledge, get an understanding of the Moderns market, then you'll have the ammo to effectively defend your points.
  • Options
    Tell you what if you say sorry even in lower case it will be water under the bridge. You can do it!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are just running off your mouth about the UNC's being done and spewing valuation numbers like 11k, 14k, 30k,

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case.

Seven, trust me on this - I hope that you're right, but doesn't it seem to be a reasonable thing to wait and see? Unless you've got dead-bang proof that any of the Plats are done, why bother with all this hyperbole'? Got proof? Neither does anyone else.

Nobody here will have an issue if you have something to contribute. In fact, we welcome it.

Welcome to the boards.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Wow, this is supposed to be fun, right - a hobby that we enjoy? :-)
  • Options
    Just curious: If the plat proofs don't come back, what would a $50 PCGS PR70DCAM First Strike go for one year from now (this would be THE lowest mintage coin of the entire Plat. Proof series to date). Obviously there are no crystal balls, but just curious as to your best guess. I'm also hoping to make myself feel better about paying $2600 for this coin months ago. Thanks!
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally know of at least 150 pieces returned in the last days of the 30 day return priv. not reflected in the numbers.

What denominations?
  • Options
    And I personally know of 8 sets and 10 single $100 and $50 returned.
    Total was 60K
  • Options
    1/2, 1/4 and 1/10's
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    What entertainment about nothing.....

We will figure out what the mint's plans are one of these days, until then who knows.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    I think a big part of the problem is that they *don't* have a plan.

Otherwise, it should not be too difficult to keep their "Product Information Updates" page updated with information, instead of keeping their customers in the dark.
  • Options

<< <i>Gosh I hope you don't have kids. If you did, I would imagine they despise you. No one likes a know it all who obviously doesn't... >>

I guess you said it best with the statement about yourself. Take your own advice. No one likes a know it all who obviously doesn't.

I'll clarify it for you so that you understand.. You come across as an arrogant wannabe!!!! Chill out and learn from the people here. So far I haven't seen anything of value in any of your posts.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...So far I haven't seen anything of value in any of your posts. >>

I personally felt that an "apology in lower case" was funny, and I value a great sense of humor.
  • Options

<< <i>Tell you what if you say sorry even in lower case it will be water under the bridge. You can do it! >>

Seriously, try not to laugh image
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What entertainment about nothing.....

We will figure out what the mint's plans are one of these days, until then who knows..... >>

Of course! It's nice to at least read someone TALKING about platinum a bit, though. We plat-buffs have been in serious withdrawl the past few months. Oh, and for the record, I returned my 1/2-oz unc, too--more because of poor quality than price, though the latter was a factor. I'm guessing these are going to go back up on sale, though I think it would be fun if they didn't.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    The entire episode made for some entertainment this morning, so it had a tiny bit of value to me.....

• Options

<< <i>Why don't you numbers just get along ? Shoot... between the two of you, there is almost eight...image >>

I edited casman's post just a little for clarity's sake. It was my laugh of the day , yesterday.
  • Options
    Duh...Yeah, I've been away from it for a while. Thanks.

<< <i>Lionel these are the last reported sales before they stopped selling them:

4 coin sets - 453
    1 oz - 146
    1/2 oz - 126
    1/4 oz - 198
    1/10 oz - 712

If you add the four coin set number to the individual oz sales you get a totel for that coin, 453 plus 126 is 579 total sales so far... >>

Anyone can make a difference, but most people probably shouldn't. -- Marge Simpson
  • Options

To a hog, anyone that takes pride in their appearance and doesn't roll around in the mud is arrogant. Clean yourself up and drag yourself out of the mud. No one invited you into the conversation or asked you to muddy the waters- I guess being a hog you just can't help yourself though. But, just as you've stated- nothing of value from your post.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is some useful, "factual" info. :

"For bullion American Eagle and American Buffalo Coins, the United States Mint makes an average of about 6,000 coins from one die set."

"For proof versions of the American Eagle Coins, the yield is an average of about 300-500 coins per die set."

"By the release dates for 2005 and 2006 bullion coins, the United States Mint had already minted approximately 50% of the projected sales numbers for these coins."

Numismaster: 2007 Proof Platinum Eagle Mintage Figures
    1 ounce 4,966
    1/2 ounce 1,543
    1/4 ounce 1,522
    1/10 ounce 3,662
    4 coin set 4,302

The table below contains the most recently published sales figures from Numismaster's Mint Stats of April 17, 2008. At the time of writing this post, the 1 ounce and 1/10 ounce coins are actually back on sale at the Mint. The other options appear to be sold out.

2007-W Burnished Platinum Eagle Sales Figures

Individual Combined
    1 Ounce 1,753 4,425
    1/2 Ounce 1,258 3,930
    1/4 Ounce 1,228 3,900
    1/10 Ounce 3,111 5,783
    4 Coin Set 2,672

See First Strikes
  • Options
    I'm confused- what exactly is for sale at the mint with regard to platinum coins now?
  • Options
    nothing is for sale

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For bullion American Eagle and American Buffalo Coins, the United States Mint makes an average of about 6,000 coins from one die set."

"For proof versions of the American Eagle Coins, the yield is an average of about 300-500 coins per die set."

I've always wondered whether or not these statements applied to platinum.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    got W?image

Ren
  • Options
    I've got a sealed FS eligible 1/2 oz. 2008 APE.............any guesses on what it might bring on Ebay??
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Why don't you numbers just get along ? Shoot... between the two of you, there is almost eight...image >>

I edited casman's post just a little for clarity's sake. It was my laugh of the day , yesterday. >>

Anytime....imageimage
  • Options
    Just got through demanding more platinum from the mint- the supervisor says they probably won't be coming back and has received no news of any intentions of bringing them back despite hundreds of complaints. My price- up $5000 on that news.
  • Options

<< <i>Just got through demanding more platinum from the mint- the supervisor says they probably won't be coming back and has received no news of any intentions of bringing them back despite hundreds of complaints. My price- up $5000 on that news. >>

Thats the top price you will get for that pcgs 69 equivalent set you have. Do a little research before you spout off. Research my old posts. I have been posting on platinum since the beginning. I have been actively collecting and speculating platinum in all its forms since 1998. NGC 70 adds virtually nothing to the value as they give out 70's like I give out candy on holloween. You show up, you get it.

$5000 max. If you knew the market, you would know the correct price to sell at. You need a buyer. buyers won't pay more than $5k. Especially since the collector market for UNC plats is so thin. There are what, maybe 500 core collectors. LOL. Guess what, most of them have their set already.

You are entertaining, I'll give you that. Although I would rather have people laughing with me than laughing at me. image
  • Options
    You keep forgetting that you are a pig and no one likes pigs! Laugh at that porky!
  • Options

<< <i>You keep forgetting that you are a pig and no one likes pigs! Laugh at that porky! >>

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a bigger problem for the Mint if it elects to not bring 2008 coins back in my view. With 2008 setting the bar on low mintage, there will no no incentive for dealers / investors to do what they have been doing - namely buying way more platinum than they would otherwise on the hopes of obtaining a mintage lower than roughly 6,000 on proofs and around 3,500 on burnished and getting lucky with having coins in stock (a losing strategy by the way over the past year or two).

For example, if the 2008 final Proof mintage came in under 1,500 for 2008, I would then expect the 2009 mintage to also be the lowest mintage but for 2008 - say perhaps 2,500 - 3,500? In having this mintage for 2009, it really might not matter all that much that the 2008 mintage was 1,500 as the 2,500 mintage 2009 would be available at mint issue price. Ditto for MS coins - regular non-W coins might see even lower mintages than ever before as well.

Just my 2 cents - but coinhog has a point as there are many proof US coins with mintages of well under 1,000 coins that are also worth well under $1,000. Buyers (and selllers) should use caution.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One final point...

The reason 1991 $25 MS69 gold sells for about $1,400 with a mintage MUCH, MUCH higher than 2006w $25 MS69 gold (worth about $650) is (IMHO) distribution and availability. 1991 $25's are nearly impossible to locate in quantity, while 2006w coins are all over the place despite the lower mintage. Ditto for 2004 Proof Platinum - scattered to the winds. So, even if 2009 Platinum would have a "scant" 2,500 mintage, 2004 Proof platinum might still be worth 2x as much or even more. Look no further than the 1991 vs 2006w $25 MS gold example to understand why.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Wow, coinhog is as happy as a pig in ***t! Right at home it seem...

Ok, so wondercoin - they are listed and I have had 3 under the table offers in the range of $8-9K for the set. When 2009 comes along and the coins aren't for sale- watch them jump to over 30K for that set! This isn't some stupid commemerative- this is the real deal and you missed out. You collectors check out ebay - you will see what this set is commanding- have no doubts!
  • Options
    There is not the collector base for these coins to push the coins into the 30k price range.....

Big difference between 10k and 30k.....

Wondercoin: Do dealers really keep proof or W unc platinum coins in stock? Never seen this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file