Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When will Platinum Eagles reappear?

And will there be an unheard of $800-1000 price drop??

Comments

• Options
    Havn't heard anything! I do think, the mint will drop the price now, tho.
    SEE the BULL!! BUY the BULL!! BE the BULL!! Do your homework first. And, you will learn alot!!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the moon is in the Seventh House
    And Jupiter aligns with Mars
    Then peace will guide the planets
    And love will steer the stars

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "SPLUNGE!!!"
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully, never.

No more NCLT!
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I think they WILL put them back up, but their behavior is very intriguing. I do not think they will mint a second run of the proofs or Unc-ws.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think they WILL put them back up, but their behavior is very intriguing. I do not think they will mint a second run of the proofs or Unc-ws. >>

Is a "run" equal to the life of the die (~6,000)?

Thanks
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully, never.

No more NCLT!

-------------------------
    All glory is fleeting.

It's happening all over again. The rudeness and intolerance towards others' collecting preferences is just inexcusable, in my humble opinion.

PCGS, why not enforce some degree of tolerance when this stuff just keeps happening over and over?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    << When will Platinum Eagles reappear? >>

When the swallows return to Capistrano
  • Options

<< <i>When the swallows return to Capistrano >>

March? Let's hope so!image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think they WILL put them back up, but their behavior is very intriguing. I do not think they will mint a second run of the proofs or Unc-ws. >>

Thanks >>

I'm not THE expert, but I don't think so. I think a run is whatever the Mint decides. For the '06 unc-w's, it was in the 3,000 range.
  • Options
    imageimage
    imageimage

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hopefully, never.

No more NCLT! >>

I feel the love image
  • Options
    I think that money would be better spent on foreclosed property. A better return would be on municipal bonds or treasury bonds at this juncture. I am sorry to go off topic. It's just that image I can't help it sometimes.
    (How else could we keep ULTRA low mintages ? )
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thanks >>

I'm not THE expert, but I don't think so. I think a run is whatever the Mint decides. For the '06 unc-w's, it was in the 3,000 range. >>

and I got's me a PCGS First Strike MS 70 on the way back home to papa!
  • Options
    I got's me a PCGS First Strike MS 70 on the way back home to papa!

Very Nice!image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Wow, another down day for plats! The Mint's going to need some serious clairvoyance to price these suckers! Hard to see how there will be enough stability in the next few months for that to happen.
  • Options
    Hopefully, the 2008 plats are done for the year. If this is the case, they will return in May of 2009 with a new design image
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • Options

<< <i>Hopefully, the 2008 plats are done for the year. If this is the case, they will return in May of 2009 with a new design image >>

You are reading my mind image
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If those 2008s are done, if ya didn't get one you likely never will...
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hopefully, the 2008 plats are done for the year. If this is the case, they will return in May of 2009 with a new design image >>

If they are done for the year due to the Mints unwillingness to drop the price, then they are done forever since I don't think they could start selling the 09s for $2500/oz any easier than the 08's
  • Options
    I would be very mad if the mint does not sell the 2008 plats again. They are very quick to pull down coins, raise the prices and put them up again when the spot price goes up! It has been what, 90 days or so since they removed the coins? At least they could post some information about what they are doing and when the coins will or will not return. No one could (or would) run a business like they do. image
  • Options

<< <i>I got's me a PCGS First Strike MS 70 on the way back home to papa!

Very Nice!image >>

you did real goodimage

i held off buying to see how they were selling. guess i missed out. if they put them for sale again i`m glad i did not buy. its all in the timingimage

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options

<< <i>I would be very mad if the mint does not sell the 2008 plats again. They are very quick to pull down coins, raise the prices and put them up again when the spot price goes up! It has been what, 90 days or so since they removed the coins? At least they could post some information about what they are doing and when the coins will or will not return. No one could (or would) run a business like they do. image >>

I think those who bought at $2200+/oz will be mad if they DO go on sale again, at a reduced price. Given a premium for rarity, they might be able to recover some of their money.image
  • Options
    Anyone want to wager a guess as to what the '08-W 1/2 oz. will bring if no more are sold and final mintage is reported officially!
    Audentes fortuna juvat
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I would be very mad if the mint does not sell the 2008 plats again. They are very quick to pull down coins, raise the prices and put them up again when the spot price goes up! It has been what, 90 days or so since they removed the coins? At least they could post some information about what they are doing and when the coins will or will not return. No one could (or would) run a business like they do. image >>

I think those who bought at $2200+/oz will be mad if they DO go on sale again, at a reduced price. Given a premium for rarity, they might be able to recover some of their money.image >>

Should PMs come with a garantee that they will never drop in price? If you buy stock @ $100/share and later it drops to $50/share will you call Wall street and complain that they should not be selling for $50/share when they made you pay $100/share?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think those who bought at $2200+/oz will be mad if they DO go on sale again, at a reduced price. Given a premium for rarity, they might be able to recover some of their money.image >>

Should PMs come with a garantee that they will never drop in price? If you buy stock @ $100/share and later it drops to $50/share will you call Wall street and complain that they should not be selling for $50/share when they made you pay $100/share? >>

No, just an observation. The mint promotes these as collectable coins, not bullion. You have to buy the bullion version from a dealer.image
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    It is surprising that we have not heard anything.....

The metal keeps jumping around, making it hard to figure out.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone want to wager a guess as to what the '08-W 1/2 oz. will bring if no more are sold and final mintage is reported officially!
    image >>

$4,500!

I could be wrong.

Renimage
  • Options
    If you have a PCGS 2008 APE FS, then you're sittin' pretty even if they do come back and sell another 6,000. The FS seems to carry a steep premium when the FS grade pop is low. Just talking about the $10, there are 71 in PR69FS and 28 in PR70FS. That's compared to 267/55 for 2007 and 252/37 for 2006. The 2006 PR70FS $10 carries about a 30% premium over the non-FS. Some might say that there are only six non-FS $10 PR70 2008 APEs right now, so they're worth more...not so. PCGS will reholder your FS coins in regular holders and reduce the FS pop number anytime you want to do so. Just some food for thought.
  • Options
    Interesting FS numbers but remember there may be more out there that remain unopened in original
    shipping boxes eligible for FS submission.

• Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    I doesn't make sense to bring them down if they are not going to drop the price.

If you're just going to NOT sell the 08 anymore, why not keep what you have minted up for sale at the higher price ???

I think they will come back with a price around $1500 for the 1oz proof.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a precedent for the Mint re-pricing issues at a lower price? I don't remember any off-hand.
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting FS numbers but remember there may be more out there that remain unopened in original
    shipping boxes eligible for FS submission. >>

Rather than take a chance on PCGS giving you a PR70, you'd probably be better off selling the unopened box. I don't see many more 2008 FS PR70s. Only 1% of the coins sold are PR70 and only ~30% of those submitted have come back PR70 (and most of those are coins that, after visual review, were considered 70s). If you send them to PCGS, sight unseen, that % drops considerably. Remember the, "we won't do FS, we will do FS" hiccup? I'd bet that a few shipping boxes were opened...

Bottom line, this year has been the perfect storm for FS plats. The 2008 Proof Pt Eagles in FS are scarce-- That we already know without waiting to see if the Mint will sell more.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The 2008 Proof Pt Eagles in FS are scarce"

The 08 Proof plats will turn out to be "scarce" (or not) later this year. FS has nothing at all to do with it. In fact, IMHO, FS labels will add very little value to the coins. For those who disagree, just look at 06 FS Platinum proof coins (with much lower "pops" than 2008 FS coins even today) and sell for just a small premium above non-FS coins (maybe 20%- 25% at best and with roughly half the PCGS "pop" of these 08 coins).

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I returned a 1 oz BU and a 1/2 ouncer, also. I think I might become unhappy about doing that, soon.

On the other hand I KEPT a few BU Plats, and soon I may be very HAPPY about that.

Too bad I'm not rich, woulda gambled by keeping all my BU's.

But I do have all my Plat Proofs I got early in the year. image

Hope I don't regret having them. image
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you have a PCGS 2008 APE FS, then you're sittin' pretty even if they do come back and sell another 6,000. The FS seems to carry a steep premium when the FS grade pop is low. Just talking about the $10, there are 71 in PR69FS and 28 in PR70FS. That's compared to 267/55 for 2007 and 252/37 for 2006. The 2006 PR70FS $10 carries about a 30% premium over the non-FS. Some might say that there are only six non-FS $10 PR70 2008 APEs right now, so they're worth more...not so. PCGS will reholder your FS coins in regular holders and reduce the FS pop number anytime you want to do so. Just some food for thought. >>

I remember agonizing about paying the big premium, but it paid off. I've got one of those PR70DC FS $10 APEs. I am so hoping the mint is done for 2008.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Interesting FS numbers but remember there may be more out there that remain unopened in original
    shipping boxes eligible for FS submission. >>

Rather than take a chance on PCGS giving you a PR70, you'd probably be better off selling the unopened box. I don't see many more 2008 FS PR70s. Only 1% of the coins sold are PR70 and only ~30% of those submitted have come back PR70 (and most of those are coins that, after visual review, were considered 70s). If you send them to PCGS, sight unseen, that % drops considerably. Remember the, "we won't do FS, we will do FS" hiccup? I'd bet that a few shipping boxes were opened...

Bottom line, this year has been the perfect storm for FS plats. The 2008 Proof Pt Eagles in FS are scarce-- That we already know without waiting to see if the Mint will sell more. >>

I'd watch those PR70 numbers. I bet they double over next 6-12 months.
  • Options
    It is a really scary time to buy, or sell, 2008 Plats on Ebay. No seller wants to get a couple hundred over melt for a 1 Ozer now that platinum has crashed, and no buyer wants to pay $2500 for an oz of platinum if the mint is going to reprice to $1650.

Ugh.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>It is a really scary time to buy, or sell, 2008 Plats on Ebay. No seller wants to get a couple hundred over melt for a 1 Ozer now that platinum has crashed, and no buyer wants to pay $2500 for an oz of platinum if the mint is going to reprice to $1650.

Ugh. >>

Well Put!image
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I returned an absolutely beautiful (all four looked fantastic) '08 Plat Unc. 4 coin set a few weeks ago after buying an NGC 70 ER Set. My wife said to hold the 4 coin set for a while. Shoulda listened! I absolutely think that they are gone for good. Has The Mint ever pulled an issue, lowered the price and relisted it?

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Anyone want to wager a guess as to what the '08-W 1/2 oz. will bring if no more are sold and final mintage is reported officially!
    image >>

$4,500!

I could be wrong.

Renimage >>

Proof or Unc.?
  • Options

<< <i>If you have a PCGS 2008 APE FS, then you're sittin' pretty even if they do come back and sell another 6,000. The FS seems to carry a steep premium when the FS grade pop is low. Just talking about the $10, there are 71 in PR69FS and 28 in PR70FS. That's compared to 267/55 for 2007 and 252/37 for 2006. The 2006 PR70FS $10 carries about a 30% premium over the non-FS. Some might say that there are only six non-FS $10 PR70 2008 APEs right now, so they're worth more...not so. PCGS will reholder your FS coins in regular holders and reduce the FS pop number anytime you want to do so. Just some food for thought. >>

Hope you're right. I paid out the waazo for a PCGS $50 '08 Plat. FS PR70DCAM a couple of months ago in a moment of weakness.
  • Options
    Gone for good? Two of the UNC Ws have mintages under 500! I missed that boat, even though I am a hardcore platinum guy.
  • Options
    Maybe I am missing something here, but didn't the '08 Plat Uncs get pulled within the first month of sale? If they don't go back on sale, then aren't all of them "first strike" by the PCGS definition?

If FS designation is bringing a premium at this point, I think it illustrates the complete farce of the FS program.
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I remember agonizing about paying the big premium, but it paid off. I've got one of those PR70DC FS $10 APEs. I am so hoping the mint is done for 2008.
    image >>

Hehehe, each of my $10. 2008's: the uncirculated, proof and burnished made MS or PR70, with the last two being First Strikes.

Pull the plats, don't issue any more of them.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Hehehe, each of my $10. 2008's: the uncirculated, proof and burnished made MS or PR70, with the last two being First Strikes.

Pull the plats, don't issue any more of them. >>

Even tho I had to return my unc-W because of credit card considerations, I agree. The Mint should pull them for good. Let's make this interesting!
  • Options
    Did I read a mintage of 500 ? image

We're going to have some fortunate brethren if this thing is shelved.
  • Options

<< <i>Did I read a mintage of 500 ? image

We're going to have some fortunate brethren if this thing is shelved. >>

Where are the mintage figures posted?image

I notice that the platinum proof figures from the official mint site have not been updated since 2005!
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the mint would have no problem with selling these 08 Wplat uncs for a loss, but they really do not have to. Somewhere in their contracts with the plat blank manufacturer there must be a clause about buy backs in the event of unsold or unrelased product. Maybe they will simply return these 08 W plat uncs to the seller for refining back to blanks or exchange for more fresh blanks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file