Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When will Platinum Eagles reappear?

Comments

• Options
    How many will hold their nose and buy with an almost $500+ premium to spot for the proofs??
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably a lot, I have mine sold already..
  • Options

<< <i>I'm confused- what exactly is for sale at the mint with regard to platinum coins now? >>

1. 2008 AE PLAT UNC MM 4 COIN (T8E) @ $2219.95 - In stock.

2. 2008 AE PLAT PRF 4 COIN (8T5) @ $2419.95 - In stock.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Folks are hollerin' now.....Wonder how the sales are going to go.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm confused- what exactly is for sale at the mint with regard to platinum coins now? >>

1. 2008 AE PLAT UNC MM 4 COIN (T8E) @ $2219.95 - In stock.

2. 2008 AE PLAT PRF 4 COIN (8T5) @ $2419.95 - In stock. >>

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Ok, so the next moron who says "Gee I don't know why you have to be so mean to these guys" can take a long walk off a short pier. With dogs like 7/8 you have to be perfectly clear- they like to run their fat mouths because the extent of their lives is this coin business. They have no problem attacking and when confronted with the facts go into only more denial. So, when I say his kids hate him- he knows its true- the only one that could tolerate that dog is perhaps some pig I know.

1. The last PCGS PR70 set on Ebay sold for almost 15K dum-dum!!!
    2. I have had two more offers now approaching 10K - the answer is still a no!
    3. I have spoken with multiple parties at the mint- the answer is a resounding "We have no plans- it was placed into repricing several months ago and probably will not be relisted! Stop calling, we have had hundreds of complaints and there are no immediate plans to do anything!"
    4. There will be blood on the streets with this series- Moy will become a legend and when all you Obama lovers realize your dream in the next few months you will get the new mint and more communication from the mint and there will almost certainly never again be another modern rarity unless you count your silly error coins.
    5. 7/8 - sorry but all the crap your spewing if far off base- you've been revealed for the nothing that you are - sub-idiot. Call your kids, apologize for being such a ... , admit the errors of your ways and please for the sake of everyone SHUT-UP! I don't care how long you've collected your coins or how much you THINK you know- you are clearly wrong, wrong, wrong!
    6. When you never get your set from the mint when it isn't relisted, I hope by then you will at least apologize! Ugh- enough already! >>

• Options
    I just went through all the PCGS BIN's on ebay, even with the 30% off, they are way off, cheaper just to buy from the mint and send it in for grading now. Be interesting to see how this affects ebay pricing.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Seven should have taken one of those 6k offers? Granted the ones released now will not qualify for first strike but will they still command such a premium image
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder if Seven should have taken one of those 6k offers? Granted the ones released now will not qualify for first strike but will they still command such a premium image >>

He had three offers @8-9K. With his profits, he will now be able to buy 3-4 sets from the mint. I wish I had his insight.image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I wonder if Seven should have taken one of those 6k offers? Granted the ones released now will not qualify for first strike but will they still command such a premium image >>

He had three offers @8-9K. With his profits, he will now be able to buy 3-4 sets from the mint. I wish I had his insight.image >>

According to his own posts, he would never accept anything lower than $11K and he had them listed for a Buy It Now at $15K.

He may not have had the insight to sell.

Many plat veterans chimed in and suggested that he take the money and run at $8-9K. As I said earlier $5K is a good price for the NGC set. JMHO
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Duh!

Some of you on this board are a good example of the stock market - too slow to react and when you do in too much an extreme! How many have got silver when it fell to $9.80 an ounce!?

I am loading up on silver, platinum, and palladium. Everyone says something about gold being too high or too low but I can tell you relative to platinum and silver Gold is far overpriced!

I just might list these eagles on ebay. tonight... We'll see- better make me an offer soon if one of you people want it cheaper... I can promise you- if you do have the money you WILL regret it later- just wait!!! >>

You've convinced me. I'll offer $3800 for your set.image >>

Thanks you for refusing my offer!image
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Any predictions on when these will be gone for the year.

You might expect the Mint to move on to the 2009's when current supplies of 2008 dry up.
  • Options
    Here is a question for all....................

Which is a better buy for $150............a proof 1/10 AGE or APE??

With a relatively narrow % spread between Platinum and Gold Eagles which is a better investment??
  • Options
    This just goes to show how Ignorant the US Mint is when it comes to promoting and selling it's coins. After being pulled since July
    at aprox. $2200 @ ounce the Platinum coins are on sale again at 1/2 the price.
    What do you think the loyal customers that bought at the programs' outset are thinking as of now?
    They will NEVER get it!
    If the sales figures/mintages had stayed final, the Mint could have sold Thousands of '09 platinum coins with collectors
    looking back to '08 with record low mintages and Crazy high values.
    I could take my two dearest coin buddies and myself and make better business decisions when it comes to promoting
    and selling US Mint products.
    In closing, I have supported the US Mint to a tune of $20,000 a year for many, many years for myself AND friends, but
    NO MORE! If this is how the Mint values it's loyal customers, then I would rather be a penny ante collector from now on. image
    Audentes fortuna juvat
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly why I told everyone asking to buy my 08 platinum coins to sit back and wait and great odds were they would be fine and be able to purchase them for about 50% of what my coins originally cost. Well that day is now here. Good job US Mint - you made sure COLLECTORS could have an opportunity to secure their current coins at a great price.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Exactly why I told everyone asking to buy my 08 platinum coins to sit back and wait and great odds were they would be fine and be able to purchase them for about 50% of what my coins originally cost. Well that day is now here. Good job US Mint - you made sure COLLECTORS could have an opportunity to secure their current coins at a great price.

Wondercoin >>

I might buy that argument if the Mint placed limits of one or two per household.

There are no limits, so the speculators/flippers will ensure a quick sell out, as usual.image
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the mint is just selling off the returns they got.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Warren Buffet said today - don't wait to hear the Robins sing before deciding its Springtime (or something like that). Serious collectors who have been waiting for this set ARE buying today - I have already spoken to several.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As Warren Buffet said today - don't wait to hear the Robins sing before deciding its Springtime (or something like that). Serious collectors who have been waiting for this set ARE buying today - I have already spoken to several.

Wondercoin >>

Yes and just like 2006 one of the 1/10 ounces will go black and the rush will be on for the rest of them. I'd like a chance to see what I get and if it's damaged send it back for a replacement.
  • Options
    Guys I just bought some fractionals proof and unc-w plats I needed to cover holes in my extended families sets. I suggested weeks ago that people who needed the coins just sit back because they would very likely be back much cheaper. Now I am suggesting that if you want these coins do not play a game of chicken with the mint go buy them. Also I would like to point out that I think the Unc-w run was SMALL, maybe crazy small.

Best Wishes

Thanks

Eric
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Guys I just bought some fractionals proof and unc-w plats I needed to cover holes in my extended families sets. I suggested weeks ago that people who needed the coins just sit back because they would very likely be back much cheaper. Now I am suggesting that if you want these coins do not play a game of chicken with the mint go buy them. Also I would like to point out that I think the Unc-w run was SMALL, maybe crazy small.

Best Wishes

Thanks

Eric >>

Here's what the Mint says:

"For bullion American Eagle and American Buffalo Coins, the United States Mint makes an average of about 6,000 coins from one die set."

"For proof versions of the American Eagle Coins, the yield is an average of about 300-500 coins per die set."

I'd say they probably minted fewer PROOFS...
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Guys I just bought some fractionals proof and unc-w plats I needed to cover holes in my extended families sets. I suggested weeks ago that people who needed the coins just sit back because they would very likely be back much cheaper. Now I am suggesting that if you want these coins do not play a game of chicken with the mint go buy them. Also I would like to point out that I think the Unc-w run was SMALL, maybe crazy small.

Best Wishes

Thanks

Eric >>

Here's what the Mint says:

"For bullion American Eagle and American Buffalo Coins, the United States Mint makes an average of about 6,000 coins from one die set."

"For proof versions of the American Eagle Coins, the yield is an average of about 300-500 coins per die set."

I'd say they probably minted fewer PROOFS... >>

I dont think the bullion coins are the same as the W-uncs.
  • Options
    Gold and Silver are soft metals, Platinum is very hard and the dies will last a fraction of the times of other metals.

BTW: proofs are collected more since they've been around since 1997. They've always had a much higher total mintage to the UNC W's since there introduction in 2006.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My hats are off to Eric and 7/8 for being right on the money with their predictions. Great job guys!
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    It's exciting that the 2008s are back in play. Will the Mint just sell remaining inventory, or will they strike to demand?

On the reported American Eagle die run figures, I'd expect that the die runs would be smaller on platinum as it's harder than gold or silver.

As to which is stronger, the proofs or w-uncirculated, the proofs have had a higher collector base than the w uncirculated... in 2006 and 2007, when both were available, the proof sales figures were more than twice the w-uncirculateds.

Also, 2006 w uncirculated numbers were very low -- so even though the 2008 w sales figures to this point have been extraordinarily low, it will only take around 2,000 coins (per denomination) to close the gap.

The spread between the last reported 2008 proof sales (ranging at about 1500-2000 across the board) and the 2004 proofs (the current King with approximately 5000-6000) is actually greater than that between the 2006 w (around 2500-3500) and 2008 w (600 to 1100). If there are a lot available, maybe that makes the 2004 proofs more vulnerable than the 2006w uncirculateds. The Mint has repriced the proofs to be more expensive than the w-uncirculateds, and the whole scenario for 2008 w uncirculateds (very low numbers, lower purchase price) might encourage speculators to flow to the w-uncirculateds over proofs. If that happened, we could end up with 2008 w uncirculated numbers higher than 2006 w uncirculateds, and 2008 proofs lower than 2004s.

What happens largely depends on the answers to two questions:

(1) How many does the Mint have in stock?

(2) Will the Mint continue to make more?

If the Mint isn't making more, unless they've been sitting on a big stockpile for the last few months, 2008s will almost certainly become the new key for proofs and w-uncirculateds.

However, if the Mint made a significant quantity, or can obtain the raw material to continue to produce profitably with a sales price of $1200/ounce (with current spot at under $900/ounce)... well, there's easily enough time for 2008 numbers to close higher than 2004 or 2006 w.

Whether there's enough free cash and interest in the market for that to happen is another story. This isn't the same as 2006, when money and credit were available.

That also means that even if 2008 numbers close low and these present a "flip" opportunity, we're really unlikely to see these command the multiples the 2006 ws commanded during their heyday.

Otherwise, nothing to add. It's a rough market out there.

Dan
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Guys -

Get em while you can......!

Rgds -

7/8
  • Options
    Seven

What is your opinion worth now?

2 cents?
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up, guys. Just placed my order. Still not sure whether to feel mad or glad about paying TWICE as much for my proof earlier, so I'll just laugh.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    Seven

Whats the offer on that 70 set now?

It always amuses me when these newbies get all wound up and call the market........sometimes you just have to have a hard look at the data......

All kidding aside -

All of the members should take this opportunity to jump in after the remaining stock, IMO , there is not much stock left.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    I ordered (2) 1/4 and (2) 1/2 oz. (uncirc)

"In stock and reserved"

3020xxxx

Joe
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Humble pie is not that bad.
  • Options

<< <i>Seven

Whats the offer on that 70 set now?

It always amuses me when these newbies get all wound up and call the market........sometimes you just have to have a hard look at the data......

All kidding aside -

All of the members should take this opportunity to jump in after the remaining stock, IMO , there is not much stock left. >>

guess he should of jumped on those 8-9k offersimage

i bought some 2007-w 1/4 oz unc back in January when the mint was selling @ $435.95. can i sell them now at a profit with melt at $857? no. am i complaining? no.

did i just place an order for 2008`s from the mint? yes.

hoodlatch, nice little rant but you just want to blame someone else when you bought high. i bought high with the 2007`s. i also bought 2006`s low. plat will go back up....in a few years.

wondercoin and 7over8 your advice was right on as another poster noted image
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    I WAS a little over the top with my rant, but I was fantasizing about the 126 individual 1/2 oz pieces
    and the idea of owning a mega-low mintage, once in a life time coin.
    BTW, I was not in it as an investment or I would have already sold, and I only bought ONE coin.
    More than likely the mintages will still be Super low, and how many were initially returned to be sold again? imageimageimage
    Audentes fortuna juvat
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After being pulled since July at aprox. $2200 @ ounce the Platinum coins are on sale again at 1/2 the price. What do you think the loyal customers that bought at the programs' outset are thinking as of now?

You really want to know? As a very loyal customer, I am well aware that the Mint can, and does do anything they want, for whatever reasons that they come up with at the time. I bought quite a bit of both the proofs and the burnished uncs when they came out, simply because I didn't want any returned coins like last year.

I was willing to bit the bullet on any possible price swings, but I had NO IDEA that the price of platinum would drop by 50%.

It was a gamble, and that's what dealing with the Mint entails. I almost got *lucky* but am I PO'd that I didn't win big? That seems a little naive, doesn't it? The 2008s will probably be keepers, as I said before. I suppose that's why I bought some more today.

Still, nothing else has changed. The Mint is STILL pumping out way too many options, and the end result WILL be a permanent drop in demand. It's just a question of time.

If you want another potential sleeper, take a look at the 2008 Burnished AGEs. Low mintages. And wait for the High Relief - you can't say "no" to that one. And the Gold Buffs? Subsequent years will have steadily declining mintages.

It's always something.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    for those who bought at much higher prices,

once the low mintages are known for these your will more than re-coup your investment
  • Options
    You can also dollar average with these prices. Not as good, but not bad either.
  • Options
    I bought a proof 1/4 and 1/2 from the Mint at the original issue price. I also bought a 1 oz. off EBay when they were unavailable from the Mint. I'm hoping that the numismatic value on these will go up to the original issue price so I at least break even. It was a gamble for all of us, so I'm not that upset. I just find it odd that the Mint didn't put these up for sale sooner. They would have been able to sell them at a higher price.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    That is what I wonder. Why didn't they put them for sale a month ago. Why now?
  • Options

<< <i>That is what I wonder. Why didn't they put them for sale a month ago. Why now? >>

They sound like many investor/collectors waiting to see if the market will come back from the unknown crisis. If you've followed PM's you can't exactly get them at spot only those needing money now are selling.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the 2008 plat proofs do come in under the '04s, do you guys think that the '04s would essentialy go for melt?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    never, they will always be a lower mintage hence more valuable year.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    Didn't I read somewhere earlier this month that once the current supply of fractional blanks has been depleted for gold and platinum that would be it for this year? Now I wonder how many blanks they usually have laying around. How many have been used for regular bullion coins since then. Whats left for the proof and unc. W's. I guess we won't know for sure for awhile.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>for those who bought at much higher prices,

once the low mintages are known for these your will more than re-coup your investment >>

I am one who purchased at the higher July prices and am not in the least worried. I bought more today averaging down the unit cost. This is a very common practice in the stock market.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options

<< <i>never, they will always be a lower mintage hence more valuable year. >>

I should have been more specific. I'm sure that the '04s will be over melt. I'm wondering whether in such a circumstance if they would be way over melt as they are now, or if they would come down substantially, so as to be comparable to the '05s now.

If the '08s do come in lower than the '04s, then the '04 being second lowest mintage would be in the same position as the '05s are now, which is not too much over melt, even though they are a lower mintage year. (Sorry, probably confusing how I wrote this). Debating whether to pick up an '04 set. A gamble like everything else. Thanks.
  • Options
    Are you all buying Proof, Uncs or both? I just picked up a 4 coin proof set.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    How will ya'll feel when plat hits $300.00 / oz ? image

• Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    I bought the Uncs because they will be a lower mintage..
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    How will ya'll feel when plat hits $300.00 / oz ?

To me, it doesn't matter. Today's prices are good enough for me!!! image
  • Options

<< <i>How will ya'll feel when plat hits $300.00 / oz ? image

Nearly as lousey as I do now thinking of 1) What I paid for my '08 plats that I currently have and 2) what I could have sold them for a couple of weeks ago. Of course, unlike some of my stocks, at least the plats that I bought tonight will always be worth something!

image >>

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How will ya'll feel when plat hits $300.00 / oz ? image

If that ever comes about ... we b all peddling our arses on a 2 wheeler w/o an engine instead of an automobile... To many vehicles require plat & I hope I don't live long enough to see the above scenario.

image >>

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file