Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When will Platinum Eagles reappear?

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $2500 for one coin to $1000 in less than a year. That's a heavy ounce of modern crap ~
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    For those of you that are certain that the 2008 proof APEs are coming back, please sell me your $10 and $25 PCGS PR70DCAMs. I am willing to pay you way too much money for them (in your opinion)! image
  • Options

<< <i>For those of you that are certain that the 2008 proof APEs are coming back, please sell me your $10 and $25 PCGS PR70DCAMs. I am willing to pay you way too much money for them (in your opinion)! image >>

What? You don't have any? That's okay...when the Mint puts them back on sale you can buy a dozen and send them to PCGS. Then, if you're lucky enough, maybe one will come back PCGS PR70DCAM!!! And then, I'll still buy it from you for way too much money (in your opinion)!image
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Which would you rather have?

A 2008-W 1/2 oz Platinum BU for $1199.95 ( last issue price ) or several 2008-W ( rev '07 ) 1 oz Silver BU's ( raw ) for $480 each?

Platinum has droped to about $1,000 / oz and if no more Plats are sold, mintage on the 1/2 Plat W-BU's will be 579 or thereabouts. Mintage on the 08/07's is what about 45,000?
  • Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    I'll take the 2008-W 1/2 oz Platinum BU for $1199.95 any day of the week over the ASE...
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Somebody at the mint has to have this issue on there mind and is probably enjoying reading all the speculation.....

If there is any speculation on any place other then this thread.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    Just a thought but the accounting and marketing people at US Mint must have been really pi**ed off that 1st week of August when probably more than a $1,000,000 of Unc. and Proof Platinum Eagles returned home.

Yes..... I'd guess that more than a MILLION dollars worth of Unc. and Proof APEs got returned.
    That was only 500 ounces at $2000/oz.
    Anyone who bought when they first came out in early July watched a $800-$1000 decline in spot per ounce in 30 days.
    If you bought a 4 coin set it was a $1500 plus drop in spot value alone.
    A 'No questions asked' return policy was just too good to turn down.

Did we kill the golden goose??
    Is the mint prepared to see that happen again with Platinum Eagles BEFORE they change return policy??

It may be that return policy question that is keeping them off the market.
    Maybe they will not bring them back until policy is changed.
    How many of you would sell platinum today with a no questions asked 30 day return policy??
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I am very grateful for the 30 day return policy. And also, I'm grateful for USPS EXPRESS MAIL at a very reasonable $15.00.

Thank You US Mint.

Thank You US Postal Service.

On the other hand
    maybe I shoulda kept all that BU Plat image
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    You will all get another chance to buy. No worries. At much lower pricing.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What were folks told when the '06 w plat uncs were pulled in late '06?

In a nutshell - nothing true. >>

The mint told us "We struck to anticipated demand and are selling out our inventory in all denominations".

Direct quote.

Ericj96 >>

Since they wouldn't anticipate selling such a low volume of coins I think they may be back as well.
    I hope not though.
  • Options
    the USM would use 07-w sales as a guide.

the question is, what does the first run of that production look like?
  • Options
    Personally I think that 'no questions asked' return policy is part of the problem.

You know they got slammed with returns of APEs that first week in Aug.

Burned the first time-shy the second.

They sure don't want to now sell a bunch at around $1200/oz and then see spot drop to $700-800.
    You can bet that would trigger another flood of returns.

In this enviroment I wouln't rule out a crash of PMs down 30-50% from here.
    Heck gold was down $80 at one point today.

If I was at the US Mint I'd bring them back at average of $1500/oz and no refunds!
  • Options
    Where does the 579 number come from?

<< <i>

Platinum has droped to about $1,000 / oz and if no more Plats are sold, mintage on the 1/2 Plat W-BU's will be 579 or thereabouts. Mintage on the 08/07's is what about 45,000? >>

Anyone can make a difference, but most people probably shouldn't. -- Marge Simpson
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lionel these are the last reported sales before they stopped selling them:

4 coin sets - 453
    1 oz - 146
    1/2 oz - 126
    1/4 oz - 198
    1/10 oz - 712

If you add the four coin set number to the individual oz sales you get a totel for that coin, 453 plus 126 is 579 total sales so far...
  • Options
    Be careful with your terminology -

The numbers you quote from NN are ***SALES*** numbers .......not mintages!!!

There is a BIG difference. The USM may run production for the anticipated sales as ONE production run of several thousand pieces, or start with a production run for estimated initial sales demand and follow with additional runs based on ongoing sales.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone noticed if the sales peaked and dropped. If it's stayed the same I'd say more than likely there maybe half of those sales figures since everyone was sending theirs back after the PM melt downs.
  • Options
    I have just been watching the PR$10 APE. Saw the sales number rise to 2,014, but no drop after that...still, less than 30% of 2004. Even if it includes returns, I'm still extremely bullish on 2008!
  • Options
    I have a question for those waiting for the reoffering of the 2008 W Platinum coins.

What is your price threshold for a buy/no-buy decision?image
  • Options
    Who really thinks these coins will be offered again ? These are not FIAT coins. The price will not recover by year's end and this series is done.

I know this is a bold prediction, but my senses tell me .
  • Options
    The US Mint Website is not working right now becasue of maintenance..... Do you think they are repricing?
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The US Mint Website is not working right now becasue of maintenance..... Do you think they are repricing? >>

Yes, their on-line catalog is currently down for "system maintenance". Is this a normal occurence ?
  • Options
    Still not available, my guess is late November
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    It now works for me but no updates on the Plats.
  • Options
    Anyone note any price changes of the gold coins?
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone note any price changes of the gold coins?

I note no changes in the AGEs. Which gold coins are you seeing price changes in? Up? or Down?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I've not been following the gold prices. If the mint site was down for repricing, I was curious if the gold was priced differently.

I just noticed the "American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin (BA3) ". Besides the packaging, is it any different than the "2008 American Buffalo One Ounce Gold Uncirculated Coin (BV8)"?image
  • Options
    I don't follow the Buffs, but my impression was that the "Celebration" coins were proofs, but I see from a reading on the US Mint website that they appear to be the bullion uncs. The 1 oz. proofs already have their own distinct packaging.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

So many people hoping they can get their greedy hands on another platinum coin- things are so desparate now that Ebay sellers are trying to market the bullion version as rare!!! Its a not coming and then the price is going to the.........MOON BABY!!!! My price is now 11.9K. At the end of november 14.9K at years end 20K, then 30 or 40.. Such a cheap buy now...
  • Options
    Seven

You're a dreamer, convincing yourself of pricing that is very unrealistic.

Take time to study the market, how these moderns react, the USM's production, marketing and sales methods, then come and give your opinion.

Anyone chasing 2008-W PLATS now at the current moon prices will be in for a RUDE AWAKENING when these coins re-appear for sale by the end of November.

And if you are a seller at these levels, too bad ebay only allows electronic payments.......you can almost bet those odds of a return and chargeback are VERY HIGH...........

• Options
    You are jealous because I have them and you do not and don't like my price. But, my price is super-duper fair given the market conditions and uncertainty and you darn well know it!!! If these aren't selling again and there is a VERY HIGH chance of this then 30K for a complete 4 coin set is still super low!!! Less than 12K for a multicoin pr70 uc set at the current market condition is fair- sorry you are broke and don't have the fundage- don't discourage others from saving huge cash and possibly best investment ever!!!
  • Options
    If I can buy a set today at $3500 is that a good deal?image
  • Options
    Not to throw a wet blanket on your dreams, Seven - but NGC-70 isn't nearly as impressive as PCGS-70. ER or FS is irrelevant.

But hey, I hope you're right, although I think your celebrating wayyyyyy too soon. That's usually bad luck.

imageimage
    imageimage

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Welcome Seven. It looks like you bring some spice to the forums, in the shape of platinum image

Don't let words like "Widget, Dreamer, Grasshopper, Newbie, Wannabe bother you."
    Nobody is jealous. We are relatively objective in this subjective world...collectively speaking !
  • Options
    If I can buy a set today at $3500 is that a good deal?

If you are referring to the Regular Issue Uncs, I'd say no, because that price implies a platinum cost of $1,891.00 or a 92% markup. The 1 ozers and 1/10 ozers have jumped in mintage and are not among the lower mintage coins. The 1/4 oz. and 1/2 oz. Regular Issues might be good, because they've announced that due to a shortage of platinum in general, they are curtailing production of fractionals for the remainder of the year.

If you are referring to the Proofs or the Burnished "W" Uncs, there is no guarantee, but if that price is real - I would snap it up. If the Mint resumes selling of both of these, you will probably not make out big, but it's still not a total loss no matter what. They won't be minting any more, and even if the sales figures quadruple, they will still be keepers.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
  • Options
    Two coins I actually think you are ok- but I don't care for people who post and speak as a "collective," but I'm giving you a pass on it because your personality makes up for this error. Well, I think the auctions cover it- I haven't listed it yet for two reasons.

1. I really don't "need" to sell it even if I get 3x what I paid
    2. I don't trust this ebay crap - I read what you guys post and wonder why I haven't got burned yet!? No more high priced items on ebay ever!
    3. Having something this rare and perfect makes me feel pretty darn good! I wanted to return the overpriced coins but told myself no, no, no! This is the time to buy when no one wants it!!!!
    4. I have a complete set of SAE NGC PR70's and at this time hasn't turned out to be such a great investment- I need #3 to feel better about this collecting business.
  • Options

<< <i>If I can buy a set today at $3500 is that a good deal?

If you are referring to the Regular Issue Uncs, I'd say no, because that price implies a platinum cost of $1,891.00 or a 92% markup. The 1 ozers and 1/10 ozers have jumped in mintage and are not among the lower mintage coins. The 1/4 oz. and 1/2 oz. Regular Issues might be good, because they've announced that due to a shortage of platinum in general, they are curtailing production of fractionals for the remainder of the year.

If you are referring to the Proofs or the Burnished "W" Uncs, there is no guarantee, but if that price is real - I would snap it up. If the Mint resumes selling of both of these, you will probably not make out big, but it's still not a total loss no matter what. They won't be minting any more, and even if the sales figures quadruple, they will still be keepers. >>

The one I am looking at is the 4-coin W burnished uncirculated set that originally sold for ~4400 and was pulled after less than a month. I've been trying to figure out what the US Mint will price them at, if they do reappear. In the past, they have been around 2x the spot price of platinum. That would make it around $2000 for the set.

As other have pointed out, they have been offered again in November, but there are so many things that are completely different today, than there was a year ago.image
  • Options
    thebigeng, you didn't mention this one:

2008-W 1/4 oz. Burnished Unc

It could be a sleeper, especially considering the current sales data.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    In the past, they have been around 2x the spot price of platinum. That would make it around $2000 for the set.

There are 1.85 oz. of platinum in a 4-coin set. The current value of a 4-coin set for only the platinum would be $1,891.00. Double that number would be $3,782.00.

On the plus side, they might not reappear for sale. At $3,500.00 you are getting it for slightly less than 2X spot.

On the negative side, they might reappear, and the set you are considering is undoubtedly "picked over". Added: The Mint will be selling sets that have also been "picked over" once they start selling them again.

IMO, I'd buy it.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    To clarify, that was 2x spot for the 4-coin set.
  • Options
    Seven

If you even knew what you were talking about - you would be dangerous

One rule of thumb I always lived by, never think you have a bigger position than someone else, you will be disappointed.

As I stated before, I am a SELLER at those moon prices for raws - not a buyer.......and only for cash or check.

When these are re-offered sometime in November, they will be re-offered at drastically lower pricing. This will all but kill the pricing on raws you now see......in fact, until sellouts happen in the re-offered fractionals, buyers of the July offering will be underwater again.

Until we know the final sales figures and can start to get a feel for final mintages, price indications cannot be determined.

Using the 06W UNC PLATS as an example, 4 coin set prices sold easily in the 5500 range shortly after sellout (69's). About double issue of a set originally priced at $2500-$2600 bucks direct from the USM. If the 08-W UNC PLATS mintage beats the 06W UNC PLAT, but not by a large margin, you can expect these to price about where the 06W UNC PLATS did, double the RE-OFFERING price on a set basis, 5K max.

As soon as you get into the 5-6-7K range on these coins, they get out of reach of the ordinary collector, even in a cash rich market. The economy is not helping us out this year, even if you believe that people who are withdrawing their cash from the equity and debt markets would go all-in for these coins.........think again.....

Most of the new entrants to the market due to economic instability tend to be PM hoarders and do not go for collector coins, they go for bullion issues......for thier content.....

• Options
    7over8, first you are the dangerous kind because your ego is sooooo large! Put a pin in it already!

1. You can only hope the coins go back on sale and they probably will NOT! So keep dreaming that you'll ever have a set.
    2. The auctions just listed and completed show that my price is super-duper fair so back off!
    3. The sales of this coin are so low- its a crime to offer it so cheap! So chill!
  • Options
    Seven, thank you for your perspective.
    I'm betting they (platinum eagles) don't come back. But gambling is not allowed here , so I just have to stir the soup with 7over8 image

His posts teach me a great deal and I value them as well as yours. "collectively speaking" image
  • Options

<< <i>If I can buy a set today at $3500 is that a good deal?image >>

I waited too long ... it's gone!image
  • Options
    Duh!

Some of you on this board are a good example of the stock market - too slow to react and when you do in too much an extreme! How many have got silver when it fell to $9.80 an ounce!?

I am loading up on silver, platinum, and palladium. Everyone says something about gold being too high or too low but I can tell you relative to platinum and silver Gold is far overpriced!

I just might list these eagles on ebay. tonight... We'll see- better make me an offer soon if one of you people want it cheaper... I can promise you- if you do have the money you WILL regret it later- just wait!!!
  • Options
    regret not purchasing it so cheap that is...
  • Options

<< <i>Duh!

Some of you on this board are a good example of the stock market - too slow to react and when you do in too much an extreme! How many have got silver when it fell to $9.80 an ounce!?

I am loading up on silver, platinum, and palladium. Everyone says something about gold being too high or too low but I can tell you relative to platinum and silver Gold is far overpriced!

I just might list these eagles on ebay. tonight... We'll see- better make me an offer soon if one of you people want it cheaper... I can promise you- if you do have the money you WILL regret it later- just wait!!! >>

You've convinced me. I'll offer $3800 for your set.image
  • Options
    Sure, consider that the first of 3 payments. When I receive the remaining 2 I will ship.
  • Options

<< <i>Sure, consider that the first of 3 payments. When I receive the remaining 2 I will ship. >>

At least that is better than the home shopping network.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file