Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    BUT WHY JAMI?????

This nice 8 only cost me $422!!!!

And my snipe bid was actually set for over $900 (last card needed in 8...) so I'm actually happy with the price.

But seriously... hindsight is a wonderful thing. I can't complain about my sales considering what the Ryan 10 and May 10 went for. Ya win some and ya lose some. All in all - I didn't lose much!

Frank B
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    MachodocMachodoc Posts: 541
    Hi all,

The 8.51 1972 graded set in the REA auction was mine and I ended up losing about $10k on it.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi all,

The 8.51 1972 graded set in the REA auction was mine and I ended up losing about $10k on it. >>

A shame indeed........I think the bidding increments cost you a couple of thousand.......
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jami, are you aware that in the set registry, under the heading of scrapbook, there is a picture of you and Joe Orlando at the 2007 National?
  • Options

<< <i>Jami, are you aware that in the set registry, under the heading of scrapbook, there is a picture of you and Joe Orlando at the 2007 National? >>

Joe was buying lunch that day. image

• Options
    So what you're saying is on that particular day the chef prepared your lunch just the way you like it.........on Joe. image
  • Options

<< <i>So what you're saying is on that particular day the chef prepared your lunch just the way you like it.........on Joe. image >>

...actually, thinking back, is was a really good lunch with open bar.....(beer , wine, soft drinks)

I will be doing it again this year in Chicago.

• Options
    The 2 Expos Teams in 8 that hit eBay after the one I won are now up to $415 and $305 with some time left to run! Either people are realizing that they need to bid seriously on these cards to close out their sets or someone is bidding to keep the prices high.

Not my problem anymore!!

Frank B
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Well - the next Expos Team PSA 8 just sold for $765 with a 2nd bidder over $750 and another one over $400. Should be interesting seeing where the next one winds up.

Frank B
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options

<< <i>Well - the next Expos Team PSA 8 just sold for $765 with a 2nd bidder over $750 and another one over $400. Should be interesting seeing where the next one winds up.

Frank B >>

There is actually now a FOURTH one up now on ebay as of last night.

I think only one was newly graded....unless your was too Frank.

• Options
    Jami,

Mine was too... But, its a lot prettier than the horrible diamond cut on this latest one!!!!

So - with all these Expos Teams in PSA 8 popping up, will the toughest card in the set become a much easier pickup from now on????

Frank
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options

• Options

<< <i>So - with all these Expos Teams in PSA 8 popping up, will the toughest card in the set become a much easier pickup from now on????

Frank >>

I certainly hope so. image
  • Options
    Mine was too... But, its a lot prettier than the horrible diamond cut on this latest one!!!!

So - with all these Expos Teams in PSA 8 popping up, will the toughest card in the set become a much easier pickup from now on????

Frank >>

No, I think the 1st Expos team card (the one you won) just loosened up a couple out of incomplete or retired sets, plus with as many bidders as there was on the 1st auction, the other auctions figured hey 400+ on a Canadian team card (and it's not even hockey) time to Sell. image
  • Options
    Bill Novick retires his set a week before the end of the set registry year????

Huh??

• Options
    RangermanRangerman Posts: 276 ✭✭
    I wonder who bought the set. Would his initials be DES? Just wondering outloud--- Tonyimage
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options
    what am I doing wrong with this new system adding cards to the set registry is a pain in the butt. got in 3 cards today used the quick add feature they where upgrades added them then hit the commit or rollback button., and all I get is this message"items added to inventory but didn't replace existing item with higher value. argh what a pain. Help please
  • Options
    Diamondman,

Wish I could help. It took me 4 attempts to upgrade 1 card on my 72 OPC set. Maybe some of the guys who've updated more than a couple of cards can chime in.

Frank B
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    I tried to add a couple of 10's I got on Ebay 2 weeks ago & got a message saying that someone else needs to delete them first. I've already sold the 8's they replaced, & now I'm getting a message saying I need to remove the 8's I've sold. I removed them 3 times before it went through. I'm assuming the guy I got the 10's from is having the same problem removing.
    Dwayne
  • Options
    Just wanted to chime in and state the obvious. That is that FB is one heck of a guy. Now, back to your topic.
  • Options
    Marc - You just want your cards back! Suckin up always helps!

Jami - just emailed with Bill. He's running into the same deal I ran into in 06. Costly upgrades and offers that you can't refuse. I told him that we still want him on the board even if he breaks up his set!

Dwayne - just found out that in V1 - you could ad an upgrade to your set and it would remove the old card. In V2, when you add new cards, it keeps the old ones in "Inventory". You have to physically go in and delete each of them before they are no lnger registered. I just got an email from a guy I sold a card to after an upgrade stating that he couldn't add it. Now I know...

Frank B

Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Hi 72 Topps collectors.

I just had a question regarding the raw cards you have around the house. I am looking for some raw cards to complete my set. I am about half way there and was hoping someone had some nicely centered cards that are in PSA 7 type condition...(of course better would be good too but those would have been graded) Am I barking up the wrong tree here with this request? I guess I am assuming there have been a number of pack breaks with cards that do not meet the PSA 8 standards most have for their collection. I dont have a want list together as of yet but need many cards in the middle series as well as the high series. I will be working on getting my list together in the next few days as I find myself recuperating from a hospital stay and I now have time on my hands. Hopefully if someone some cards we could work something out.

Thanks for reading this everyone!!

Andrew
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have any thoughts about the set that sold for $20,000 and is now being sold as individuals cards on ebay? Does it seem like he is making or losing money so far? I owe a few hundred so far for the 4 PSA 9's I picked up. I was glad to finally get # 224 WS Game 2 in PSA 9. Picking up a Yaz IA PSA 9 for under $100 I think is a bargain but I do not know how much this has previously sold. I see lots of updates going on in the registry for this set so looks like everyone is doing well.
  • Options
    I'VE UPGRADED A FEW CARDS AS WELL. SOME OF THE PSA 9'S IN THIS LOT HAVE SOLD ALITTLE LOWER THAN I THOUGHT BUT SOME OF THE 8'S ARE GOING FOR A PREMIUM. I NEED THE #518 GARRETT ALTHOUGH $160+ WITH 9 HRS REMAINING IS ALITTLE STEEP FOR ME! (ITS THE ONLY QUALIFIED CARD I HAVE IN MY SET NOW). THE 393 ITEMS THAT HAVE COMPLETED BROUGHT ALITTLE OVER $9,000 (SOME DIDN'T SELL) THERE ARE 396 STILL RUNNING AND THE RYAN, ROSE,ROSE IA,EXPOS TEAM, GARRET ETC. ARE IN THAT GROUP. SEEMS TO ME THAT IT'S NOT WORTH ALL OF THE WORK INVOLVED IN SELLING THAT MANY CARDS...IMHO.
    DWAYNE
  • Options
    It is going to cost a fortune in ebay fees too. Hope he makes a profit.
  • Options
    I picked up the World Series Game 2 PSA 9 for my Pirates team set and brought the average up to 9.09. I also picked up in PSA 9 the Yaz IA, McGraw IA, Aparicio IA, Robertson IA, Gallager IA and the Griffin IA for my In Action set. It brought the average up to 8.56. I missed the Rose IA, Killebrew IA and Seaver IA but overall I am happy with what I got and the price I paid. I paid $557 for the 7 PSA 9 cards.

I am wondering if the dealer made or lost money on this set. It was a lot of work for him either way.
  • Options
    Dwayne,

Did you ever come up with a total for what the set sold for?

I think the seller hurt himself by not spreading the cards out further than 3 days. I think if he sold 100 cards a week, that prices might have been better. People can only bite off so much at one time.

Frank B
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options

<< <i>Dwayne,

Did you ever come up with a total for what the set sold for?

I think the seller hurt himself by not spreading the cards out further than 3 days. I think if he sold 100 cards a week, that prices might have been better. People can only bite off so much at one time.

Frank B >>

Yes I did the math. The total came to roughly $22,500. Roughly 129 cards did not sell, all high pop PSA 8 commons. Putting them in one lot now might generate about $4.50/card......So grand total would come to $23,000.

Seller paid $20,000 before juice from REA.

Factor in ebay fees, paypal fees, seller lost money on set.

• Options
    Ugh!!!! I'm sure thats not what he was hoping for!!!
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Jami,
    Thanks for doing that math!
    Losing money sucks. Spending time scanning, typing, packing, shipping, etc. really sucks! Hopefully the seller had better luck with other sets. I agree with Frank, sell 100 card or 1 series a week. I woud have been able to purchase more if the set was spread out over a few weeks. I still need a #518 Wayne Garrett that is centered. 'Kinda hard to belive that one just sold for $236 and the last #532 Fred Kendall went for $52. I bid $50 on the last one & Bill Novick had the winning bid. I assume he bid for the same reason as me (he remembers when it was a much tougher, card.) If neither of us bid it could have went for only $42. The Foli IA seems to consistently bring in the $$, as well as the #693 Alan Gallagher (it's been around $100 recently.)
    Dwayne
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    It is with great regret that I have decided to sell of my '72 set. It has been a great ride and I will be sad to see the set go. It is time for some home improvements.

I want to thank all my fellow '72 set collectors both past and present who have helped me put together this very special set especially:

Bill Novick: who bought and sold from/to me many cards over the last four years including 3 of the last four cards I needed to finish the set.

Frank Bakka

Jim Vitale

Arny Varona

I will start selling the set card by card on ebay soon. I will be accepting offers on individual cards ( based on recent VCP sales figures); so feel free to contact me.

Hopefully I can use this thread to spam my auctions. It will be a slow process, probably taking 6 months as I do not want to overtax buyers pocketbooks on any given week.

Here is the quick link to my set: Jami's The LostDart Collection There are almost 600 scan to peruse.

• Options
    Say it ain't so.

Even when your set is all gone you'll still have your wealth of 1972 card knowledge, so please don't be a stranger in this thread. You may even get the itch to jump back in like Frank did.

Best of luck, and thanks for all the info you've shared on this set Jami, it has been invaluable. Keep us in the loop as to the next set you'll be working on.
  • Options
    Agreed!

Even if you know longer drink - you can always ACT drunk! So, we expect to continue to see you on the 72 threads for some time to come!

Frank
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭
    I might be all focused on 1971 this year, but come 2009, that will definetly year for 1972! image This is probably my third or fourth favorite set from the 1970s.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    I have listed my first small group of ebay listings, many HOFers included.

Jami's set break Part 1

• Options
    Jami - How did you come up with the listing order? Random?
  • Options

<< <i>Jami - How did you come up with the listing order? Random? >>

Yeah, the first lot was HOFers and some random cards, some of which were cards i was relisting.

I have another bunch to start later tonight. cards #740-787

• Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    How does PSA judge centering from top/bottom with the design on 72s?

Here are a couple of scans from my collection. How would they grade?

• Options
    The centering on those two Brewers cards will not down grade your cards.......other flaws with those cards will.

There is a slight tilt on the rookie card.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Centering is very nice on both those cards. The touches on the corners, though, would likely keep the grade at no higher than an 8 for the first card and a 7 for the second.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    I'd say 8/7 or 7/6 if you get a really strict grader.
  • Options
    How did this card avoid an OC qualifier?
  • Options
    This one is bad but there is a '72 Johnny Bench #435 PSA 9 I've seen several times on Ebay thats worse than this one....
    Dwayne
  • Options
    I find it hard to believe that Bill Novick does not know that this card is not the "green under C & S" variation.
  • Options
    Bill knows the difference, but apparantly PSA still does not. Almost every "Green" version listed on Ebay is labeled wrong and noone states that in the auctions. When I sell these versions I do like Bill and simple list what PSA has on the plaque.
    Dwayne
  • Options

<< <i>Bill knows the difference, but apparantly PSA still does not. Almost every "Green" version listed on Ebay is labeled wrong and noone states that in the auctions. When I sell these versions I do like Bill and simple list what PSA has on the plaque.
    Dwayne >>

I will address your "screw the next guy" attitude once I form more civil thoughts in my head.
  • Options
    I can't remember the last time a true PSA 9 "Green" variation card has sold. Does anyone know what the sell for??
    Dwayne
  • Options

<< <i>I can't remember the last time a true PSA 9 "Green" variation card has sold. Does anyone know what the sell for??
    Dwayne >>

I will be selling this one eventually.