Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    IM OUT GENTS...

Well today is the day I have long knew would one day come. I am announcing I am exiting my current set aspirations. Hardly like Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods - I leave with a lot to accomplish in the hobby and on this set but in a focused more determined manner.

I will continue to pursue and keep the "stars", the household names, the QBs, RBs and WR and a few others...and I will continue to upgrade those stars and household names.

But that means the majority of the sets will be broken up and let someone else run for the top spot. Its much more fun for everyone that way.

As soon as I know the awards are done, I will retire the RC HOF set in its current incarnation. Thanks to all of you. Many of you had a piece in selling me a meaningful part of the set. So I hope its rise and notoriety benefitted all of us.

I will sell off first to those who sold to me. Then I will post the residual here and with MINT STATE and a few select pieces with auction houses. I paid top dollar and will expect the same in return. I will list the available cards here in the next month or so.

Thanks to all and look forward to being part of the community, but in a different way. Its been a real joy and fun release from the everyday stress of life.

So the gauntlet has been set. 8.77 GPA -- I say to you all -- come and get it!!!

Thanks and Happy Fathers Day to you all. Sincerely Jon Isaacson

Hail to the Redskins
    Hail Victory
    Braves on the Warpath
    FIGHT4OLDDC
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Jon,

If your set isn't placed into the Set Registry HOF this year, SOMEONE at PSA needs to be fired..lol

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>I understand HOF voting is supposed to be about what players did on the field and nothing else, but do you think the NFL would have wanted OJ standing at the podium shortly after the most publicized murder trial in history? Talk about a PR nightmare. Legions of people who don't understand the voting process would have condemned the NFL and the Pro Football HOF. >>

And everyone who DOES understand the process would condemn the voters and lobby for a whole new system...In some ways, they already need to re-vamp, but if they kept a player out based 100% on something that happened after his career was over, they would need to scrap the whole process and start over from scratch..They could start with a VOTE OUT process in which they go through each current inductee's resume, both on and off the field and vote out the players who aren't 100% deserving for any reason. Next they could put a big red X by any current or future HOF candidate (Shawn Merriman and Terrell Owens for example) who had any type of character or rules violation issues. They would automatically be denied eligibility.

I would think in the case you described above, if he were voted in, IMO he would not be invited to give a speech or stand at any podium. His election would not be celebrated, but would be necessary if the HOF is about the greatest PLAYERS of all-time. Because OJ was that...He was one of the top 10 runners to ever carry the football..You keep him out, go ahead and start up the vote OUT process...Lawrence Taylor, Michael Irvin...Get in line...lol

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Everyone here keeps talking about Jim Brown, Jim Brown, Jim Brown. We all understand Jim Brown was a great RB. But who was second behind him nearly every year? Who actually beat him out for a rushing title the only year he did not lead the league in rushing?

Jim Taylor of the Green Bay Packers.

Taylor does not get any props for being one of the ten best RB's in the game BECAUSE he played during the same era of Jim Brown. The same can be said for WR who played with Rice. Many of you talk about dominance during their career. Taylor would have lead the NFL in rushing for FIVE straight years if it was not for Jim Brown. That IS dominance. So why is he not ranked in the top 10 or even top 20. Paul Hornung is a prime reason. When people think of the Packers they think of Starr and Hornung. There are so many reasons to think of Starr and Taylor instead but the media loves the "Golden Boy" so Jim Taylor gets left out in the cold anytime these rankings come out.

My top 10 Running backs are as follows.

1. Walter Payton he could block, pass, rush and jump over or run through anyone he wanted to.
    2. Jim Brown
    3. Barry Sanders
    4. Marshall Faulk
    5. Emmitt Smith
    6. OJ Simpson
    7. Tomlinson
    8. Gayle Sayers
    9. Eric Dickerson
    10. Jim Taylor
    11. Earl Campbell
  • Options

<< <i>

Taylor does not get any props for being one of the ten best RB's in the game BECAUSE he played during the same era of Jim Brown. The same can be said for WR who played with Rice. Many of you talk about dominance during their career. Taylor would have lead the NFL in rushing for FIVE straight years if it was not for Jim Brown. That IS dominance. So why is he not ranked in the top 10 or even top 20. Paul Hornung is a prime reason. When people think of the Packers they think of Starr and Hornung. There are so many reasons to think of Starr and Taylor instead but the media loves the "Golden Boy" so Jim Taylor gets left out in the cold anytime these rankings come out. >>

I think he gets left out of the top 10 because he wasn't as good as the 10 in front of him..I don't know that he'd be outside the top 20...In fact, I'm fairly certain he would be in the top 20 of all-time. The reasons:

He was only voted an All-Pro once in 1962...he played from 58-67 and these RBs were all selected All-Pro during the same time period MORE than once:

Jim Brown
    Lenny Moore
    Paul Hornung
    Gale Sayers
    Leroy Kelly

I would put Taylor above Hornung and Kelly, but not above Brown, Moore or Sayers..

I think the fact that he played with SO MANY HOFers on that offense (Starr, Hornung, Jim Ringo, Forrest Gregg) and SHOULD BE HOFer Jerry Kramer, in a pound the ball offense, it hurts him. It's the same thing that keeps Franco Harris off most top 10 lists...While I personally think he was a stud for that team, many view Taylor as simply a piece of those great teams rather than the essential/key guy. If you look at the rest of your top 10, they were all THE KEY GUY for their teams..

IMO, Jim Taylor probably ranks somewhere in the 12-17 range all-time. That's not a bad spot when you consider how many great runners we've seen over the past 80 years..

Jason

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So why is he not ranked in the top 10 or even top 20. Paul Hornung is a prime reason. When people think of the Packers they think of Starr and Hornung. There are so many reasons to think of Starr and Taylor instead but the media loves the "Golden Boy" so Jim Taylor gets left out in the cold anytime these rankings come out. >>

I am completely befuddled by Hornung's legacy versus what he actually did on the field. And yes, statistics do not tell the whole story as we all know. But damn, they should tell MOST of it. Hornung had just 5,191 career yards from scrimmage (3,711 + 1,480), compared with 10,353 for Jim Taylor (8,597 + 1,756). I for one am not all that impressed with the fact that Hornung was the placekicker too. Big deal. Give 10 of today's best backs the opportunity to kick and half of them would probably do a pretty adequate job. There's no need for it though. Hornung does not belong in the HOF IMHO, and should absolutely be overshadowed by Jim Taylor, rather than the other way around like it is.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Hate to see you leave Jon. Thanks for putting together this set and help us HOF RC collectors get more recognition. I can't wait to see the trickle down effect of your set..

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

<< <i>Jon,

If your set isn't placed into the Set Registry HOF this year, SOMEONE at PSA needs to be fired..lol

Jason >>

Looks like his set will be HOF, as will yours and MOSH. I caught a glimpse of the set registry the other day and the three of you had black HOF logos next to your sets. About an hour later, they were gone.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So why is he not ranked in the top 10 or even top 20. Paul Hornung is a prime reason. When people think of the Packers they think of Starr and Hornung. There are so many reasons to think of Starr and Taylor instead but the media loves the "Golden Boy" so Jim Taylor gets left out in the cold anytime these rankings come out. >>

I am completely befuddled by Hornung's legacy versus what he actually did on the field. And yes, statistics do not tell the whole story as we all know. But damn, they should tell MOST of it. Hornung had just 5,191 career yards from scrimmage (3,711 + 1,480), compared with 10,353 for Jim Taylor (8,597 + 1,756). I for one am not all that impressed with the fact that Hornung was the placekicker too. Big deal. Give 10 of today's best backs the opportunity to kick and half of them would probably do a pretty adequate job. There's no need for it though. Hornung does not belong in the HOF IMHO, and should absolutely be overshadowed by Jim Taylor, rather than the other way around like it is. >>

Totally agree...I think Hornung's legacy is mostly about his persona..The Heisman winner from Notre Dame, Golden Boy, etc, etc..He was one of the most popular players of his day, but really wasn't one of the greatest. Doak Walker is another example of this.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Jon,

Jason >>

Looks like his set will be HOF, as will yours and MOSH. I caught a glimpse of the set registry the other day and the three of you had black HOF logos next to your sets. About an hour later, they were gone. >>

Had to be a mistake/error...I'm not even at 100% right now!lol

Jason
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>Ahhh, the age old debate surfaces again...9 of these 10 are also in my personal rankings, but I think Earl Campbell should be here instead of Lenny Moore...Being a great receiving RB is all fine and dandy, but its all about what they do when they take a handoff..And i would take Campbell over Moore every time in that case...

Bottom line is, for all the Barry Sanders lovers here is another dose of reality...It's Jim Brown, hands down...

Top 10 RBs of All Time
    Don Shula, Marv Levy, Emmitt Thomas, Jack Bushofsky, Dan Reeves, Jerry Richardson, Robert Smith and Floyd Reese helped ESPN.com evaluate the best running backs in NFL history. ESPN.com weighed their contributions, balancing rankings with anecdotal evidence and statistics to create the following list: (ZOOM gallery)

1. JIM BROWN
    Career: Upon retiring before '66 season, the Browns' RB was all-time leader in rushing yards (12,312), all-purpose yards (15,549) and touchdowns (126).
    Quick quote: "Incredible combination of speed and power. As a defensive back, I'm happy he retired just as I came into the league, because my career might have been a lot shorter if I had to tackle him.'' -- Thomas

2. BARRY SANDERS
    Career: Sudden retirement in '99 came with the Lions' RB trailing only Walter Payton on the all-time rushing list. Ran for more than 1,500 yards in a season five times.
    Quick quote: "He's the only guy I've ever seen who could hurt defenders without touching them. He'd have them twisting their ankles and running into each other.'' -- Reese

3. WALTER PAYTON
    Career: Played on mediocre Bears teams until late in career but retired as leading rusher (16,726) in history.
    Quick quote: "The most complete back ever."' -- Shula

4. EMMITT SMITH
    Career: Smith, who played 13 seasons for Dallas and two for Arizona, took over as all-time rushing leader in '02. His 164 rushing touchdowns are the most in history.
    Quick quote: "Phenomenal and extremely tough player. Incredible balance and leverage.'' -- Reeves

5. GALE SAYERS
    Career: Knee problems forced him to retire in '71 after seven seasons with the Bears. At 33, he was the youngest person selected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
    Quick quote: "I used to watch him and say, 'How can anybody be that good?'" -- Levy

6. LADAINIAN TOMLINSON
    Career: The Chargers' RB has at least 1,200 rushing yards and 50 receptions in each of his first seven seasons.
    Quick quote: "He brings as much versatility as any running back ever has.'' -- Smith

7. MARSHALL FAULK
    Career: Began career with Indianapolis in '94 but was traded to St. Louis in '99 and became cornerstone of "Greatest Show on Turf." First running back in history to lead his team in receptions in five different seasons.
    Quick quote: "Could have been an All-Pro as a wide receiver.'' -- Bushofsky

8. O.J. SIMPSON
    Career: The Bills' great became the first player in NFL history to rush for 2,000 yards in a season when he gained 2,003 in '73.
    Quick quote: "He had it all. He had the same type balance as Jim Brown, and he could just keep going and going.'' -- Reeves

9. LENNY MOORE
    Credentials: One of Johnny Unitas' key weapons for the Colts, he scored a touchdown in 18 straight regular-season appearances between '63 and '65.
    Quick quote: "He may be underappreciated, but he was very similar to what Marshall Faulk has been more recently.'' -- Richardson, who was Moore's teammate for two years in Baltimore.

10. ERIC DICKERSON
    Credentials: Reached 10,000 rushing yards in 91 games (the fastest pace in history) and rushed for 2,105 yards in '84. Played for Rams, Colts, Falcons and Raiders.
    Quick quote: "He didn't look fast, but he was so long-legged that he could go the distance.'' -- Reeves

ESPN Total SportsNation Votes: 11,999
    (#1 Votes)Points
    1 Jim Brown (4,318) 102,075
    2 Barry Sanders (3,535) 100,614
    3 Walter Payton (2,587) 100,134
    4 Emmitt Smith (945) 66,205
    5 Gale Sayers (88) 57,258
    6 LaDainian Tomlinson (337) 56,489
    7 Eric Dickerson (55) 55,401
    8 O.J. Simpson (65) 47,875
    9 Marshall Faulk (55) 44,542
    10 Lenny Moore (14) 25,661

My personal rankings:
    1- Jim Brown
    2- Walter Payton
    3- Barry Sanders
    4- OJ Simpson
    5- Emmitt Smith
    6- Gale Sayers
    7- Earl Campbell
    8- Marshall Faulk
    9- LaDanian Tomlinson
    10- Eric Dickerson

Jason >>

All great lists. I would only add in Steve Van Buren, which Jason posted as the number 1 back on the pre-modern RB list.

Yeah, the Packers Jim Taylor while not maybe being on the top ten list, certainly was greater than Hornung who got the pub and the women. From 1960-64 Jim Taylor was brilliant, and if Jim Brown isn't in the league, Taylor would have been the all-league fullback every one of those year. He just had bad timing/luck playing in the same era as Jim Brown.

Rich
  • Options
    Man what is going on today??? First Jon and then Tim Russert.....some Friday the 13th.

Jasen
  • Options
    My reviews are in. Just under 10% bumpage. 3/31

NEAR MINT+ 7.5 1951 BOWMAN 62 LOU CREEKMUR
    EXCELLENT-MINT+ 6.5 1951 BOWMAN 21 ARNIE WEINMEISTER
    NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1963 TOPPS 155 LARRY WILSON

Suppose I have to go check VCP on the Wilson and Creekmur, probably do ok with those two.
  • Options
    Any thoughts on this? A couple of surprises IMO..

Comeback Wins by QB's from 1950-present:

1-Dan Marino 37 (242 career games)
    2-Johnny Unitas 34 (211 career games)
    3-John Elway 33 (234 career games)
    4-Joe Montana 31 (192 career games)
    5-Vinny Testaverde 30 (233 career games)
    6-Warren Moon 28 (208 career games)
    6-Fran Tarkenton 28 (246 career games)
    8-Drew Bledsoe 27 (194 career games)
    8-Brett Favre 27 (257 career games)
    10-Peyton Manning 24 (160 career games)
    10-Dave Krieg 24 (213 career games)

Jason
  • Options
    Jason, how is "comeback" defined? Team is behind entering the 4th quarter? Game winning drive in the last 5 minutes??

Jasen
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Where's captain comeback?
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    spam: i have a 77 carson rookie psa 9 available for $300 delivered if anyone is interested. i have posted on the b/s/t as well.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>Jason, how is "comeback" defined? Team is behind entering the 4th quarter? Game winning drive in the last 5 minutes??

Jasen >>

The winning team must be behind either at the end of three quarters or at some time during the fouth quarter. The winning QB must be the QB of record at the time the winning points are scored (not always the starter).
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Let's not forget the teams that Marino played on over the years. The Fins defense almost every year was horrible...especially under the reign of Tom Olividato (sp??). Marino would have had 50+ come from behind wins if his defense wouldn't have blown games in which he had brought the team back from beind.

What I loved about Marino was his fearlessness. Case in point was opening day 1994 against the Patriots (his first game back after blowing out his achilles heel in 93) and he threw for over 400 yds and 5 td's. He could still barely walk (it was more of a hobble) but he was lights out. I still remember the fins were down w/ under 3 minutes left in the game and it was 4th down from about the Patriots 30. Instead of going for the first down, he gives Irving Fryar a look during the snap count and when he hikes, Fryar runs straight down the right sideline and Marino perfectly hits him in stride for the winning TD.

Marino did the same thing in college. I think it was the 1982 Sugar bowl when Marino hit his TE on a post in the endzone on 4th down for the winning TD w/ under a minute left (about 30 yds). You could sense his greatness in college...

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    While I've always known Marino was a great QB, I was still surprised that he is the all-time leader in comeback victories...Tat actually raises him another notch in my eyes..He had a few big game comebacks, but 37 is crazy..More than UNITAS and MONTANA! Of course they both played in fewer games, but take Favre as an example..A guy KNOWN for late game heroics and Marino has 10 more comebacks in 15 fewer games...

Elway, Montana and Favre are all widely considered great "comeback" QBs, when in fact Marino was better than all 3 of them in that regard...

Peyton Manning isn;t even on pace to catch Marino unless he plays more than the 242 games Marino played in...Amazing..

Jason
  • Options
    To get a real read on it what you need to look at is the pct of comebacks verse chances they had.
    The Dolphins D was a perfect example not a knock on Dan the man but i would bet he had more chances at comebacks, Do to his team being behind so much then most if not all on your list
  • Options

<< <i>To get a real read on it what you need to look at is the pct of comebacks verse chances they had.
    The Dolphins D was a perfect example not a knock on Dan the man but i would bet he had more chances at comebacks, Do to his team being behind so much then most if not all on your list >>

On the other hand, Marino was so good offensively, that many times, the game was over before the 4th quarter began and thus he got no comeback opportunity. Take 1984 as an example (arguably Marino's greatest season), here are the scores of Dolphin games at the end of the 3rd qtr and then final outcome..I will note any comeback opps:

Week 1- Miami 35, Washington 10..Miami W
    Week 2- Miami 21, New England 7..Miami W
    Week 3- Miami 21, Buffalo 10...Miami W
    Week 4- Miami 37, Indianapolis 7...Miami W
    Week 5- Miami 26, St. Louis 21...Miami W
    Week 6- Miami 28, Pittsburgh 7..Miami W
    Week 7- Miami 14, Houston 3...Miami W
    Week 8- Miami 30, New England 17...Miami W
    Week 9- Miami 24, Buffalo 0...Miami W
    Week 10- Miami 14, NY Jets 10..Here's Marino's first comeback of the season..Jets scored early in the 4th qtr to go up 17-14..The Dolphins subsequently scored 17 unanswered to win 31-17..The first TD to re-take the lead was a 47 yard TD from Marino to Clayton.
    Week 11- Philadelphia 17, Miami 14...Comeback #2 out of 2 chances..Dolphins scored 10 in the 4th to go up 24-17, Philly scored in the final minutes but had the extra point blocked..Miami wins it 24-23
    Week 12- Miami 28, San Diego 28..This is the first failed comeback chance and the Dolphins first loss of the season...34-28 to the Chargers..Fouts threw 4 TDs..
    Week 13- Miami 28, NY Jets 17...Miami W
    Week 14- Miami 27, LA Raiders 24..2nd missed comeback chance as the Raiders scored 21 in the 4th..Dolphins gave up a 75 yd TD pass from Marc Wilson and a 52 yard TD run to Marcus Allen to seal it..Marino threw 4 TDs in the game, including one in the 4th QTR.
    Week 15- Miami 21, Indianapolis 17..Miami ends up winning 35-17, Marino throws 4 more TDs, 2 in the 3rd TD and 2 in the 4th
    Week 16- Miami 14, Dallas 7..This game was tied 21-21 in the 4th..Marino throws 4 more TDs, 39 yard TD to Clayton in the 3rd and a 63 yd TD to Clayton in the 4th to seal the win. Doesn't count as a comeback though

Playoffs---
    Miami 28, Seattle 10..Miami W
    Miami 38, Pittsburgh 21..Miami W..Marino 4 TDs
    Super Bowl--San Francisco 38, Miami 16..Comeback chance missed..

So he was 2 out of 5 in the Dolphins best season during his career...But thats counting every loss as a comeback chance..Realistically the Super Bowl game was over at the half and the Raiders game was blown by the defense.

Really not many chances simply because the Dolphins were blowing guys out..37 comebacks is 37 comeback IMO...I do see your point Art, but you could probably go through all these QBs and find similar issues, but the Dolphins defense being weak combined with the Dolphins offense being strong over Marino's career probably evened things out.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>To get a real read on it what you need to look at is the pct of comebacks verse chances they had.
    The Dolphins D was a perfect example not a knock on Dan the man but i would bet he had more chances at comebacks, Do to his team being behind so much then most if not all on your list >>

Art,

I don't agree w/ your argument (you Marino hater...lol...). What makes Marino great was that he took advantage of the situations that he was given. There were plenty of other games in which Marino brought the team back only for the defense to lose the game.

I will concede that owning the record for the most come from behind wins does not make Marino the best QB of all time, however it is an indication of his competitiveness, coolness under pressure and ability to rally his teammates to play to the best of their ability.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    We are officially in the football dead zone until training camp begins...

For the first time I can ever remember, PSA graded cards listed in the football category on ebay are UNDER 3,000 listings...During playoff/Super Bowl time, they typically go above 6,000..I've never seen it under 3K though...

Jason
  • Options
    Greg no knock on Dan the Man i think he was 1 of the best ever ,My point was just to look at the best from a comeback point of view i think you need to weigh there % you chances.
    To be honest in my opinion a comeback would be only those games you were behind in last 5 mins or on you last realalisic chance not counting the getting the ball with 22 sec in other words.

Although Dan i am sure is up there my guess if you looked at game winning drives Elway comes to my mind 1st or maybe just becuase so many of his were in big games.

JASON ALSO ON YOUR POINT OF LACK OF LISTINGS PRICES ARE WAY DOWN and not just on run of the mill stuff some harder hof rookie cards have been going for a song of late ,I sold a Fats 8 last week granted a little oc but still a 8 for 430 Thats 50% of what my other Fats cost me.
    Not sure if its a sign of the times or just summer and not as many ebays looking the big guns having theres already (But With that said again i go to the Fats 55 aa and hof rookies are to most collected football isues)
    I Think it is just that time of year and things will pick up again come fall
    A buyers market for sure right now
  • Options
    I think there was a comment on here recently regarding a large increase in the PSA 9 grades of some select 1977 HOF RCs. There have also been several new PSA 8 Charlie Sanders and 66 Philly Bob Brown PSA 8s (Brown went from 14 to 17).

Jasen
  • Options
    Jasen pops going up is a issue for sure on the 70,s stuff for nines and 10,s on the 80,s stuff thats why i never pushed hard at them i knew over time they would be comming down every time 4 sharp breaks a case.
    But not many 55 packs are being broke again just using the 55 fats as a example and it is a real good indacater since it is highly collected by not just the hof crew but by aa guys again the 2 most collected football sets
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    I totall agree with art.
    Yes, 4SC has driven the pops up (many others also) and the price down. Many other big dealers also......
    I saw a 77 casper 9 go for 200 BIN and I paid 500 last year. I noticed art has been wisely buying the primo stuff at the reduced prices. The 50 tittle you just bought is 1/2 of what I paid and much less that what they have gone for over the years.

Its not just FB....all cards are down. However, the really scarce vintage...is going thru the roof.

Gentleman, we are in a recession..even if Mr. Bush says otherwise. Gas is $4.25 / gal and going up fast here in NY. Everything ass. w/
    transportation of goods going up. There is not as much dissposable income for card buying. Families and regular subsistenence bills come first.

For the long termers, this could be good. Buy low now and when the $ goes back up...you have gained.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

<< <i>By the way here is my sleeper pick Sam Mills image >>

Dave, have you gotten a chance to watch the DVD yet? What did you think?

Jason
  • Options
    It still hasn't arrived. I ordered it from amazon and the expected delivery date says June 16th to the 30th????? Hoping it will be soon..

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>It still hasn't arrived. I ordered it from amazon and the expected delivery date says June 16th to the 30th????? Hoping it will be soon..

Dave >>

You'll have to let us know how it is!

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Does anyone need a PSA 8.5 Edgerrin James rc (99 SP Authentic) or a PSA 9 Tippett rc? I also have a PSA 9 Isaac Bruce, PSA 9 Randal McDaniel and PSA 8 Richard Dent.

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Tossed some HOF'ers from my set on to eBay tonight. Mostly cheaper stuff from 1950-1983. Link is in my signature if anyone is interested. If you mention you're from the boards (if I don't already know you) I'll give you free shipping. I'm working on getting a code for paypal that you can use or something, but I don't know if that's possible or not.
  • Options

<< <i>Tossed some HOF'ers from my set on to eBay tonight. Mostly cheaper stuff from 1950-1983. Link is in my signature if anyone is interested. If you mention you're from the boards (if I don't already know you) I'll give you free shipping. I'm working on getting a code for paypal that you can use or something, but I don't know if that's possible or not. >>

Good luck on the auctions, Josh.

Jasen
  • Options
    I am changing things up again, so I am offering some cards for sale.

I am listing here first, to give all of you first chance.

All non-10's are NQ and have none graded higher

Use VCP where applicable.

HOF ROOKIES

1970 Topps # 59 Alan Page PSA 10 (POP 12)

1970 Topps # 75 Lem Barney PSA 10 (POP 3)

1971 Topps # 210 Charlie Sanders PSA 9 (POP 3)

1973 Topps # 343 Jack Youngblood PSA 10 (POP 3)

1979 Topps # 310 James Lofton PSA 10 (POP 4)

1979 Topps # 390 Earl Campbell PSA 10 (POP 12)

1981 Topps # 150 Kellen Winslow PSA 10 (POP 47)

1982 Topps # 51 Anthony Munoz PSA 10 (POP 13)

1982 Topps # 434 Lawrence Taylor PSA 10 (POP 33)

1982 Topps # 486 Ronnie Lott PSA 10 (POP 6)

1984 Topps USFL # 36 Jim Kelly PSA 10 (POP 12)

1984 Topps USFL # 52 Steve Young PSA 10 (POP 13)

1987 Topps # 207 Gary Zimmerman PSA 10 (POP 7)

1989 Score # 211 Thurman Thomas PSA 10 (POP 226)

FUTURE HOF ROOKIES

1965 Philadelphia # 64 Dick Lebeau PSA 9 (POP 9)

1967 Philadelphia # 54 Lee Roy Jordan PSA 9 (POP 16)

1967 Philadelphia # 80 Dave Robinson PSA 9 (POP 11)

1971 Topps # 233 Lemar Parrish PSA 8 (POP 25)

1980 Topps #195 Lester Hayes PSA 9 (POP 17)

1991 Stadium Club # 94 Brett Favre PSA 10 (POP 752)

1996 SP # 18 Marvin Harrison PSA 10 (POP 46)

Please email offers to madmandreamer@aol.com.

Thanks,

Marc.

Keep checking because I will be editing this post by adding more cards.

If I list anything on the B-S-T board I will note here to not fill this area with non-HOF related cards.
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • Options
    That new wonderdog avatar of yours really bothers me Marc. Was the wonderwoman one taken? image

edited to add: " Have shinebox will travel"??? image Nice one MAD!!
  • Options
    The DVD mentioned earlier arrived today. I have been able to watch about 45 minutes of it so far in it is awesome. The footage I have never seen before. Definatly worth the 10 bucks I paid. I should get in finished sometime this weekend.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>The DVD mentioned earlier arrived today. I have been able to watch about 45 minutes of it so far in it is awesome. The footage I have never seen before. Definatly worth the 10 bucks I paid. I should get in finished sometime this weekend.

Dave >>

Definitely plenty of bang for your buck, and should be the starting point for anyone interested in learning about some of the old timers...Very nice mix of famous/often seen vintage footage, to go along with plenty of rare/never before seen stuff...I thunk Don Hutson's piece is later in the DVD, but they actually have some very nice color footage of him blazing through secondaries...

Jason
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am changing things up again, so I am offering some cards for sale. >>

Geez Marc, you change direction more than a squirrel trying to cross a busy highway image Good luck with your sales.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Marc you get my email today?
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Hey Guys,

This DVD of the Old Timers sounds great, can you let me know where I can buy it? Growing up in Green Bay and listening to my Dad(now in his 80's) tell stories about sneaking in to see Packer games when he was young, I'd love to actually see film on Hutson.

Thanks,
    Doc
  • Options
    Doc, Unless you want to buy one to keep, I wouldn't mind lending it out to anyone. For all I care, Every can view it as long as it eventually gets back to me. Let me know.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    FYI..Got mine from Amazon.com

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the offer Dave, much appreciated. If it's only 10 bucks I wouldn't mind owning it, but how is it listed on Amazon?

Doc
  • Options

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Thanks Dave
  • Options
    Well, well, well...

So get this.

I get my shipment back from PSA today, with all of my reviews in it. When I checked the reviews once posted, I had 3 bumps of 31 cards. Weinmeister to a 6.5, Creekmur to a 7.5 and Wilson to an 8.5.

Today the cards show up, the first 3 cards in the box...

Merlin Olson
    LeeRoy Jordan
    Jim Johnson

All three of those bumped to an 8.5 as well!
    So I went and checked the sub results online and those three now show as bumped too. Don't know how or why this happened, but very kick a$$. image

Scans for anyone interested.

Lee Roy Jordan rc 8.5

Merlin Olson HOF RC 8.5

Larry Wilson HOF RC 8.5 (pop 1, 3 higher. 1-10, 2-9's)

Jim Johnson HOF RC 8.5

Arnie Weinmesiter HOF RC 6.5

Lou Creekmur HOF RC 7.5

• Options
    Very nice! Congrats on the bumps.

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Dave,

Thanks for the link on the DVD. I will watch it on my way from Vegas to Phoenix to see my Cards win the NFC West this year!

Jasen
  • Options
    OUCH!

Well, I don't know if this is a sign, or if my scans suck or maybe Tuesday is just a terrible day to end auctions...

I had 31 HOF RC's end tonight, and they sold for $150.50 BELOW VCP average. I took a total loss of $41 off what I paid. The only reason I did that well, was because I sold an extra PSA 9 Stallworth rc for $39 on a second chance offer. I paid $8 for it and got it graded on the special, otherwise my loss would have been closer to $75. Tough times... I had a number of cards sell for >30% off VCP avg. I had a few that did a little better too, but overall, it was a tough night to be me. Oh well. ebay already has my fees calculated. Just over $1k in sales and they want $123. Thugs I tell you.

Thanks to everyone who bid. It's very likely you got a nice deal tonight. Maybe Tuesday is the night to shop! lol