Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

What can I say? I was a busy buyer last Sunday.

Here's my first Goudey ever. Not sure why this only warrants a 2. There's a small stain on the back, but it doesn't seem like it'd be enough to push it down that much.

• Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭

Back from Gary Carter Foundation today

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    silly wabbit

That goudey looks real sharp! Nice pickup.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Today's mail was kind of on the light side....but here is the cooler item in the small lot.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    Recent pick-up from a pretty decent local show that comes through twice a year. I actually went there hoping to pick up this card...

• Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    MeteoriteGuy - always interesting to see what you are picking up. You seem to have a pretty eclectic collection.

joejo20 - great to see you joining in on the Mail Call thread... especially with the Barry French we put together a deal on!

Elemenopeo - that Rabbit looks great! With 2s like that, who needs 10s?

Here are some of my highlights from the past week.

First up another single closer to my 1948 Leaf set and a couple of 1955 TAAs for my set... the diminutive Cotton Warburton (147 pounds during his playing days!) and an apparently constipated Don Zimmerman:

I picked up this Tittle rookie from esteemed board member Envoy. It is clearly doctored as evidenced by Y.A. having hair upside his bald ol' head:

Lastly, one of the key cards in the 1955 TAA set, Mr. Jim Thorpe... the centering is phenomenal, but the cracked slab was an unwelcomed surprise conveniently not shown in the auction photo.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend all... Monday morning comes all too soon.

Snorto~
  • Options
    about half of a nice lot of 51's i got yesterday.

My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options

Some great looking vintage football there, guys. You submitting any of those '51s, bigfische?
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Here's my new pride and joy. I gave it its own thread, but thought I'd add it here for posterity.

Drew

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    two more down thanks to thepinkcatfish.

Nice price on these two as well

imageimage

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    bigfische that Reagan really brought back some memories for me as that was the first Bowman card I ever bought.

I picked it up at my very first card show (actually a giant flea market) some 25 years ago or so for a couple bucks just because it was sooooo ancient. Of course back then as a youth, my idea of "old" was a bit skewed. I still have that card kicking around somewhere.

I remember at the same show I bought a Tony Dorsett rookie for $5.00 and my dad thought I was crazy paying that much for a card... if he only knew how much I drop on them now!

Snorto~
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    I picked up another common for the 48 Set...my first PSA .5 . Also picked up a few 53 commons...the crazy part of my brain is telling me to start building that set as well image

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice cards as usual Ryan! Those 53's are GREAT looking cards, thats the thing about the Football-even the commons are appealing, I really like that Alban card.

Hopefully SOOOON i will be able to trump those with my latest purchases..................................image
  • Options
    maybe this will get the recent posts to show.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Two more for the JR collection and a upgrade to the Jim Rice collection

Thanks for looking
    Lenny
  • Options

<< <i>Two more for the JR collection and a upgrade to the Jim Rice collection

Thanks for looking
    Lenny >>

Love the JR's
  • Options
    That Jim Rice rookie is great, brings back some memories. I actually haven't seen one in a long time.

As a kid in the 80's, Rice was just "cool", not sure if I ever used any other word to describe him. I think I bought his rookie in San Diego in 1988 or 89. Very nice.
  • Options
    Just got this in the mail today.

• Options

<< <i>bigfische that Reagan really brought back some memories for me as that was the first Bowman card I ever bought.

I picked it up at my very first card show (actually a giant flea market) some 25 years ago or so for a couple bucks just because it was sooooo ancient. Of course back then as a youth, my idea of "old" was a bit skewed. I still have that card kicking around somewhere.

I remember at the same show I bought a Tony Dorsett rookie for $5.00 and my dad thought I was crazy paying that much for a card... if he only knew how much I drop on them now!

Snorto~ >>

Very cool

Based on pure looks, the Ken Carpenter is now my favorite in the set
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Won this one an hour ago for my 55 set. This will put me at 92% complete all in PSA 6.

• Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Nice Rose! That is my favorite Rose card. It doesn't hurt that it is from the '65 set which is my favorite set of the '60s.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Bob that Berra is gorgeous!
  • Options
    bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Won this one an hour ago for my 55 set. This will put me at 92% complete all in PSA 6.

image >>

Very sweet Bob!!
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Nice Berra, Bob! You've been after that for awhile now haven't you?

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213
    Got this one for my NBA 50 greatest collection. I am now up to 31 out of 50.

• Options

Great looking sig on that Drexler. Nice pickup. image
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the kind words guys! Yes Chris, I have been on the hunt for this card for some time. I dont believe this card was stricken with the bad centering as many of the hi numbered 55s, but it still doesnt make an appearance on ebay very often.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Here are my pickups from the Chicago Sun Times show. I decided to start a 1963 Fleer Set but SGC graded, I just think they look great in their holders.

Here is some pickups for my 1971 Topps FB set, I also picked up a PSA 7's of Mercury Morris and Charlie Taylor.

imageimage

Beautiful T206 of Mathewson with some writing on back.

A 69 Banks for my 69 Set that I am building raw and graded.

A 1958 Hires Bob Friend, 1 of only 2 PSA 8's. I am working on the team set and this is #4. I don't like the tabs image

A 1957 Mays, I got it at a good price and it looks better in person.

My coolest pickup of the show. I am putting together an autographed version of the 1961 Topps Pirates Team set and this one had all 4 autos, 2 deceased. I placed it besides another dual auto I already had.

My dad collects all of the auto RC reprints from this set

Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    My last post didn't show image
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    My first hockey card ever.......

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I'd love to own that hockey card...that and a '54 Gordie Howe...I'm not a hockey collector though.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    A couple more Young PSA 10s. I think I have a 100 Youngs graded Gem Mint now.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    My first hockey card ever.......

And what a great one to have! That is a beauty.

Robert
  • Options
    Sweet Gretzky
  • Options
    Hey people, Im new to this joint and already Im impressed with all those nice lookin cards.
    I thought Id share some of my prized pieces of my collection. Theyre not cards but still I think rare.

First is a ticket stub from Mickey Mantles first homerun wearing #7 (previously wore 6 until getting sent down).
    And the other stub is from Walter Paytons game in which he broke Jim Browns rushing record.
  • Options
    been a busy and expensive week...

• Options

<< <i>My first hockey card ever.......

image >>

Talk about diving into something new head first...
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • Options
    kidzfundkidzfund Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Some of my vintage pick ups have finally come in the mail.

And their battery mate and captain of the Braves in the 50s.
  • Options
    Goot I thought you might like the 61 Leaders card I just picked up, is Burdette deceased?
  • Options
    kidzfundkidzfund Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Just getting used to my scanner. Will post individual cards later.
  • Options
    Nice stuff guys! image
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>Goot I thought you might like the 61 Leaders card I just picked up, is Burdette deceased? >>

I was actually going to comment that! That thing is SWEET with Spahn and Burdette. Unfortunately, Burdette died about this time last year. I can't remember the exact month or day but I remember it being spring time. Spahn, Burdette, Sain and Mathews have all deceased now and Hank is getting up there at 74....image

Del Crandall (the catcher) and Gene Conley are the only living players from the amazing starting rotation that was Spahn, Burdette, Buhl and Conley back in 1957 when Milwaukee won the series. Burdette had the highest ERA out of all of them with something around 3.6 or so (I may be off a bit) and that starting 4 alone won 65 games!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Jason - that's one of my favorite sets! Been working on a PSA set for 4 yrs! I'm at 67% - no hurry - I've been tryin' to get the best examples I can find for the money.

Good luck on the set - it's a beauty!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

Best looking 3 I've ever seen.
  • Options
    Hello All,

I got a large lot of PSA/DNA signed cards today, some kind of interesting, so I thought I would share them.

HOF'er and Player's Association President Gene Upshaw...

A couple Tommy John....

imageimage

Darryl Strawberry....(I might have traded half my collection for this 20 years ago)

Vern Law....

Marcus Allen....

Ahman Green....

Tommy McDonald (HOF'er)

A Fred Lynn signed piece of notebook paper...actually looks kind of cool slabbed...

An Andrew Dawson signed 1984 Raiston Purina. PSA does not grade these cards (anymore) so they labeled it a "Trading Card"....

This Weeb Ewbank is kind of neat...

He signed the front, but I guess did not have any ink in the pen, as there is a complete outline of his sig., but I don't see any ink...perhaps there is some ink in the dark spots, the lighter portions show no visible ink....

So I guess he flipped it over and signed the back so you could see it....

The cert. appears to be for the outline sig., but who knows...

And a Daunte Culpepper....

Clear Skies,
    Mark
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow

I really like that Weeb auto! It's like he was signing a contract the way he found just the right amount of room.

Thanx for sharing - cool.
    mike
    Mike