Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Official 2008 TOPPS HERITAGE Thread

Comments

• Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Wow. I remember when we all starting talking about this and buying cases, there were two sellers who had this stuff cheap. One was the svu seller, the other the aaeee guy. I bought off of the aaeee guy, the rest of you then bought off of svu. I was feeling like I messed up and picked the wrong guy. Now I'm not feeling so bad. Hopefully we're all paranoid and it works out best for all of us.

Cubsfan, you're in the same boat as me, except you're on a tighter time constraint. If I were you, I'd file the claim, that will buy you an extra 20 days if I understand the process. I've never had to file a claim, so I'm hoping others will chime in on how it works. It'll be hard to find buried in this thread though, which is why I thought about starting a new thread asking for advice. Perhaps you should, I'd like an answer, too.

Kevin, the boy is 11 now!! Hard to believe. Is your son old enough to start collecting yet? It sure is fun when you have someone to share it with. Here's hoping you don't have to go through the Yu-Gu-Oh years like I did. image The Black Chrome Griffey would indeed be sweet.

Again, when topps says release is on the 27th, does that mean dealers start getting their stuff a few days after??? Or do dealers generally receive on the 27th?? With my 45 days up on March 3rd, I would expect my case by then if my seller received on the 27th, but not if Topps ships out on the 27th.

My birthday is March 5th, so it'd be nice if we all have our stuff in hand and cracking by then.

shawn
  • Options
    I just had an email conversation with the fellow I bought two cases of Heritage from. First time. We made the deal Dec. 6 and I was afraid something would go wrong. But he sent me an email today saying he would send me tracking numbers as soon as he had them. I feel so much better.

Anybody want an EXCEL checklist for Topps Heritage, just ask. Send me your email address and I'll fire you out a copy. Folks who have older EXCEL programs. I have an .xls convert file for you/

Happy Heritage Hunting!

Best time of the year is here!

Paul H
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Best time of the year is here! >>

Agree Paul!

My first year here I traded with people and got the set done very efficiently - the other years I struggled on my own and it was very difficult - in fact - some sets are still not totally finished - complete master i.e.

I was considering not doing the set this year - but then changed my mind - picked up a case from Blowout.

I wish everyone luck - I'm overdue for something good - but then again - I say that every year!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    I just went back and read svu's feedback again......only one of his negatives state that the buyer didn't receive a refund, the other 2 recent ones both did receive their money back. His previous feedback and even some of his recent ones are very good.

Paul, I'd like the Heritage spreadsheet if you don't mind.

magellun@localnet.com
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    Hi Dave,
    Checklist is on the way. If anyone has trouble opening it up, I can send an older version of Excel

Paul

This IS the best time of the year.
  • Options
    11 pages is just too long for me not to have a post on this thread, so let me add my name to those who are ready for this set! I have the most fun with trades, and seeing so many familiar names makes me want to start trading before I even have my cards!
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The CU Heritage guys here are a great bunch.
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Figured you'd check in about this time, Jason. Nice to see you.
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    It's nice to see all the usual suspects starting to check in.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I have mine prepaid and am waiting for my lone case!

I'll be ready to do some trading!
  • Options

<< <i>Figured you'd check in about this time, Jason. Nice to see you. >>

Thanks Kurt, I figure we have about three trades to work this year - that's about our average come Heritage time. The old gang is all here! I ordered a case from my local dealer - maily because he's about the nicest guy out there and I don't mind paying a little extra to keep the local business up and running. I think I'll probably pick up a handful of additional boxes here and there to get to maybe 18-20 total. With only 2 chromes/box, that could make for a tough subset. I've had a great run of luck in Heritage and A&G these last couple of years as far as good pulls are concerned, so I'm expecting nothing but Richie Sexson autos this year...
  • Options
    tillertiller Posts: 149 ✭✭
    Wont be long now. Looking forward to it again this year. Dave
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    So it does appear that the 59 topps cards WILL be foil stamped. What is everyone going to do with these? Do you think the star
    cards will sell for more or less than the original? While Im not sure I like the idea of ruining these cards with a stamp, it is VERY nice to get a
    handful of the original cards in every case. A few things to ponder:

1) Will the toppers be wrapped so that you can't see them unless you open them?
    2) You have to believe that unopened toppers could be worth a little dough seeing that you could pull a Mantle or Clemente....even
    at 10 bucks a pop on ebay, those guys who are paying 50 bucks a box are getting 1/5th their money back just on that!

I once again will be looking for autos and of course a master set. My chromes and GU will be available for everyone here. I'm hoping to
    pull a nice black refractor early so I can cash in big time and buy some more product! What sets is everyone doing?

11 days and counting!

Kevin
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    I'm just hoping I get the case I paid for at this point Kevin.

High-fives for great pulls, putting my set together, and trading with you guys comes after I receive my case.

shawn
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Checking in. I'm going with a local guy this year instead of Lawrence (anythingu over at Beckett). From Lawrence I always seemed to get my case almost a week after release, but this year I might even get my case a day early. Can't wait! Hopefully I'll pull at least a key auto that I can flip towards my relic set. I'll also be doing a master set and chrome set (love this year's chrome checklist!).

Geordie
  • Options
    Topps has announced that among the 500 base cards for the 2008 Heritage set, 88 of these cards will have black background variations.

Craig in Texas
  • Options
    Last year's Heritage had 110 SP's and 33 variations, so you mean that this year, on top of the 75 SP's there will be another 88 variations? If that's true there will be 20 more total than last year (163 compared to 143), and they are seeded less frequent (1 in 3 packs instead of 1 in 2 packs like last year), so that makes for more product needed to open or lots more trading to make the set this year.
  • Options
    Nick,

It will all depend on whether or not these variations have their own odds separate from the SPs. Last year the yellow variations had 1 in 6 odds and the SPs had 1 in 2. We will have to wait and see......

ONLY 10 DAYS!!!

Craig in Texas
  • Options

Where is the info on the black variations? I haven't found it.

However, one thing I do worry about is gray and white backs. The '59 set was full of them. I won't be surprised to see that again, like it was with the '56 variations three years ago.

• Options
    I found it on the topps web site. Unfortunately, there is no other information other than what I previously mentioned. I was hoping to get more information on the originals but I guess we will just have to wait and see on those....

Craig in Texas
  • Options
    So:

425 base cards
    75 short prints
    88 black variations
    15 New Age Performers
    10 Then & Now
    10 Flashbacks
    10 News Flashbacks

633 cards for a master set this year? That ain't gonna fit in my standard 800 count box. Gonna have to shift this year's set to a bigger box, or take the plunge into sheets & binders.

• Options
    Please don't have whitebacks, please don't have whitebacks... image
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    Interesting to nobody but me - I do a Dodger team set every year as a small side project, and as I was looking over the checklist on the Topps site, I found that Derek Lowe is on the checklist twice. Lowe hasn't done anything to distinguish himself in a looooong time, so I'm sure that this checklist can't be the final version. Anyone else appear twice like that?
  • Options
    Lowe's No. 262 is as a combo card with Penny and Billingsly. It mirrors 1959 set with Drysdale and Co.
  • Options
    Paul - thanks for the clarification. I think I'm gonna need a copy of your Excel spreadsheet, since the Topps site doesn't have that info.
  • Options
    Geordie,

checklist is on the way.

I put money numbers in a few of the boxes to show you how it will automatic add cost of your set.

Also, there is a '59 checklist, so that you can compare this year's cards to the 59s.

Paul
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

I'm eagerly anticipating this year's release as well. I'm planning on building the base, SP and basic insert sets, so my chromes, refractors, etc. will be available for trade with all the great collectors on the PSA boards. Looking forward to dealing with all of you again: Geordie, Travis, Paul, Goose, Kurt, Jim, Nick, Dan, Jason, Dave, Tom, Mike...

Can't wait until the end of the month!
    Andy
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Hi Gang.

I'm still here and will be building the base/sp/basic inserts + chrome sets. All my autos and relics and black refractors are up for trade, and of course extra sp's etc.

enjoy the ride, feel the love.
  • Options
    Paul

I would like a copy also - email is below on sig line - thanx!

Kevin

I'm not gonna do the chrome set - didn't do it last year either - mainly due to cost - to have cards to trade, I gotta have more product.

Last year, I bought a total of 8 boosters and 1 case and was no where near enough chromes to trade.

Good luck everyone!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

(Checklist sent)

I think this might be the best chrome. No teams or any of those cards. Just 1000 good players and rookies.

(Almost 250 posts and it's over a week until these cards are released. That says a lot about their popularity)

• Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if this kind of speculation has been posted yet here or elsewhere, but after looking over Pharber's checklist (thanks, Paul!), it looks to me that the Baseball Thrills subset will be the ten cards #'d 366-375 (all big-name players who have other singles elsewhere in the set). And it looks pretty obvious that the All-Star subset are the last 22 cards (#479-500) starting with the A-S Managers (LaRussa & Leyland) and listing pairs of All-Stars by position and league. Interesting that Jeter and ARod didn't make the cut!
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    anybody got an SP list before it comes out so we all know the SP's?

Loth
  • Options
    mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    Based on previous years experience will the price of a case of this years product drop below the current price, about $650 it looks like, or would now be the best time to buy?
  • Options
    Thanx for the checklist Paul!

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>anybody got an SP list before it comes out so we all know the SP's?

Loth >>

Hi Ryan!

Isn't it usually the 3rd or 4th card in the pack? Pretty sure it was the 4th.
  • Options
    Kevin usually comes up with a pretty solid list from the multiple case breakers on one of his other boards.
  • Options
    In 2005, the sp was the 7th (next to last card), so they do change it up a bit. But...once you see the pattern of inserts, then the sp's are at the same location as well.
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    One year it was the 5th card down but Jim is right, it will be in the same location each normal pack.

I'm going to do a master set (no white/grey backs though) maybe with chromes, have to see how I do on the rip. I'll still be looking to complete last year's chrome as well as some cards from other years (soon JIm).

Fingers crossed for Jim, Nick, and myself on svu.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    2 more negatives on svu18 -- one guy said he received a refund and one guy did not although he probably will. It looks like he was shorted on his SP Authentic Football allotment. This guy seems to refund everybody's money. I hope he does not have the same problem with Heritage....

Craig in Texas
  • Options
    I asked SVU18 via ebay message if he was confident he would get the topps heritage alotment and be able to ship the product he had sold. I also asked if he was prepared for a refund.

His two word reply was simply: "I Will".

Nothing else heard from him/them.

Dave- I have a lot of 2007 chromes to use for trade bait on the 2008s.

I have added the spreadsheet from Pharber to my 2001-2007 spreasheet, which is available for download from my sigline page.
    - jim
  • Options
    I'm actually contemplating getting a box of this stuff for my birthday. The only thing I'm afraid of is addiction. I've seen it happen to the best of you on this board and I'm not sure I want to end up like some of you all. image

PS- I already know that I'm going to receive replys saying, "do it!" or something of that nature. You fiends are practically drug dealers, trying to tear down the future of your nation just to make a quick buck. Or in this case a set!

I'm on to you lowlifes! image
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Do it Goot!!!

Now get your ass out and get my boy some Cleveland Indians sigs!
  • Options

<< <i>trying to tear down the future of your nation........ >>

That's a pretty high opinion of yourself there Gooty.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>trying to tear down the future of your nation........ >>

That's a pretty high opinion of yourself there Gooty. >>

Not opinion............FACT!image
  • Options
    4 more negs for svu18 on different product.
    Looking for Cello packs with Bill Buckner on top
  • Options
    Danger, Will Robinson!

I just filed a paypal dispute because I pre-purchased on Jan 7th...and 45 calendar days would be feb 21, so I am in under the wire - just barely. We have 20 days from today to work out a resolution and then I can escalate it to a paypal claim....so I think I am covered. In the meantime, I can get a case delivered for $660 - which is $55/box.

Plus my local guy will sell (if he has them leftover) at $55/box, so I am breathing easier. Hope we all make it, but I would file a claim if I were you, just in case.

• Options
    I know the auto checklist has been discussed, but has anyone actually researched some of the players? I assumed that they were just a bunch of semi stars that I hadn't heard of because of when they played and stuff. Well I just looked some up, and almost none of these guys made it longer than a few seasons in the bigs! The only thing that I can come up with, is that topps just went for a bunch of guys that were in the actual set, and are still alive. Is this true?
  • Options
    Here's an email I got from svu this morning about my concern that his feedback seems to be getting worse:

"YOUR CASE IS PAID FOR NICK, ITS ON SCHEDULE."

I didnt buy it until Jan. 22nd, so I can wait and see if it shows up before filing with paypal.
  • Options
    Nick, you have the nice advantage of being able to go pick it up and knock on his door!

fingers-crossed.
  • Options
    I thought I did Jim, but when I asked for an address last week, he wouldnt give one. We then worked out an arrangement for it to be shipped (i'll believe that when I see it), but if anything I can always request his contact info from eBay and do some legwork based on his phone number.