Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Official 2008 TOPPS HERITAGE Thread

Comments

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Disappointed that Big Frank isn't in the base set.

Edited to add:

Scratch that...he is...I'll collect this set now. I don't know why I thought that.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    HeritageAddict's cards look better than the Topps cards.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    whoa hold the phones...did I read that right...59 topps cards will be inserted and stamped??? Are they really going to stamp the
    1959 cards??

Kevin
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>whoa hold the phones...did I read that right...59 topps cards will be inserted and stamped??? Are they really going to stamp the
    1959 cards??

Kevin >>

Well, they have to certify that they're the real deal, right? image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    I hope the '59s are all Mickey Mantles. One in every two boxes. I bought two cases so I should get 12. I hope I don't get 12 Art Fowlers.

The top loaders are very interesting. Three cards. A Jeter-Ortiz-Pujols is pretty good.
  • Options
    Bera and Joba duel auto? image
  • Options
    I can not believe that they are going to stamp the original 1959 Topps cards!! I heard that these cards will be inserted 1 in every 2 boxes. If I were to get a star card stamped, I would immediately trade it for the same star card unstamped. I hope the values will be the same but I would think that the original card would be worth more than one that is stamped. What do the rest of you think??

Craig in Texas
  • Options

<< <i>I can not believe that they are going to stamp the original 1959 Topps cards!! I heard that these cards will be inserted 1 in every 2 boxes. If I were to get a star card stamped, I would immediately trade it for the same star card unstamped. I hope the values will be the same but I would think that the original card would be worth more than one that is stamped. What do the rest of you think??

Craig in Texas >>

They will likely be low grade cards, and they will be worth more stamped.

Topps did this with Star Wars Heritage this year only they were able to get mint cards from 1977. Original cards go for less than a quarter, stamped ones go for $5-$100.
  • Options
    Sure would be cool if Topps bought 10 1959 Topps sets in EX and better condition to use as inserts every 1 out of 2 boxes. And did not stamp them!! If I knew I had a 1 out of 572 chance of landing a Mickey Mantle with every two boxes I bought, then I would be buying a lot of this product!! You are probably right though in that Topps will only include commons with the exception of a couple of Micks. I bet Topps will not release production numbers on these originals. We'll see.....

Craig in Texas
  • Options
    rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭
    2 Months until Heritage !!!!!

Just getting the hype going.

Ian
  • Options
    I can't wait for these! I plan on strolling into my local card shop, and saying "4 boxes of Heritage, please". image

(4 boxes is a start, I had thought about a case, but 4 boxes will get me going. image )
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    F1,

That's exactly what I did my first year collecting Heritage (last year). It was great, but I found a few problems with that:

1) You won't be able to finish a master set (all SP's and inserts) and you'll need to either buy more hobby boxes or more blaster boxes (retail) to finish the set or have enough extras to trade.

2) At the shop last year, I paid $70 per hobby box. Blasters are $60 for the same amount (24 packs). Buy a case now and the price will be between $50-$60 per box.

It seems like a lot to drop $600 for a case of product that isn't even out yet, but last year I ended up buying a little more than a case-worth of it and I spent well over $750.

Just my 2 cents,

Ian

• Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Are there reliable places to preorder yet?? I haven't read this entire thread yet but was curious.
  • Options
    rugbymarine, I think I put less that $250 into my 2007 set, probably closer to $200. I figured that with 4 boxes I could complete a base set, get a few SPs, have enough inserts and doubles to trade, and still not spend near the $500 that a case would cost. I'm getting stingy in my old age. Who knows, maybe I'll hit a '59 Mantle, and have plenty of 'selling power' to finish the 2008 (and 2003, 2004 and 2005) sets!
  • Options
    I used Blowoutcards last year for Heritage. Fast and free shipping. I've dealt w/ them on several occasions and they have great customer service. Only complaint was the packaging as they simply put the case box in a bigger box and mailed w/o any actual packaging material to prevent the inner box from moving around. I think that some of the other folks use Dacardworld - I haven't used them before.

Any other recommendations from anyone?
  • Options

<< <i>rugbymarine, I think I put less that $250 into my 2007 set, probably closer to $200. I figured that with 4 boxes I could complete a base set, get a few SPs, have enough inserts and doubles to trade, and still not spend near the $500 that a case would cost. I'm getting stingy in my old age. Who knows, maybe I'll hit a '59 Mantle, and have plenty of 'selling power' to finish the 2008 (and 2003, 2004 and 2005) sets! >>

Hold on- did you actually COMPLETE your 2007 set? If you were able to complete it for around $200, I give you huge props.
  • Options
    I've used blowout before. No complaints here. Lockwood on ebay has pretty good retail case prices usually. I may go that route as Ive had better luck with retail.
    Looking for Cello packs with Bill Buckner on top
  • Options
    I like to buy out of a fresh case until I hit the auto and then move on to other card shops. Buying off the net is fine, but you will be watching
    most of us rip for a few days until you get your cards. If you are ok with that you can come on here and claim to of put your set together
    for less, which you will certainly do. I have to say that this years set is watered down on the auto list, but the original cards will be
    interesting.

Of course the best part of heritage is that this board makes up the single biggest group of heritage traders in the world. We have the
    knowledge and experience to solve any heritage mystery that topps wants to throw at us. It was us, afterall that convinced beckett AND
    topps, that there was indeed a light back set back in 2005. We have come a long way from Craig and I to all the great traders here. I hope
    that 08 will be the year of the big pull for us!

Good luck to all and let the real 2008 countdown begin!

Kevin
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting in early is the key as it tends to get hot and heavy after the busting and sorting ends.
  • Options
    I wish these were out in time for Spring Training so I could get a ton of returns TTM. I love the heritage cards for TTM even though I only have one haha. BUT, that's basically because I have only bought 1 pack of Heritage in my life!!(don't shoot, I'm not crazy).
  • Options

<< <i>Hold on- did you actually COMPLETE your 2007 set? If you were able to complete it for around $200, I give you huge props. >>

Yeah, I bought a base set on eBay for about $20, then got a lot of like 18 SP for $20 (that one must have been under the radar on eBay) and got some good deals for the other variations and SPs, so I was probably ~$220-230 to build my 2007 set.
  • Options

My Master set doesn't cost me anything, but the labor of love of ripping, collating sets, trading, and selling on EBay.

I buy two cases, sell/trade all the autos and speciality cards to make as many master and basic sets as possible. Then I put everything on EBay (except for the one master set for me). The revenue pays for the cost of two cases. I leave that money in PayPal until the following December, then use it two buy two more cases and do it all over again.

Heritage is such a great set.

It doesn't come out for another seven-eight weeks and look at the action on this board.

Every year I tell myself, I'm going to set my 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 master sets, but then I go through the sets and change my mind because they are so terrific to look at on a winter morning like today.

• Options
    There is a guy on ebay offering 2008 Heritage baseball hobby cases for $576 delivered. Hid ebay id is svu18. This is the second bunch of cases he has offered that i have seen. First five sold quickly. The price is 93 less than blowout and 114 less than Dave and adams card world. He has good feedback but only 300 of them. Anyone ever dealt with him?
    Looking for Cello packs with Bill Buckner on top
  • Options
    A friend of mine bought $1,800 worth of Finest football from him with no problems.

Craig in Texas
  • Options
    TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    Well, I just purchased two hobby cases. I need to get caught up on all my other heritage checklists before I start. I have so much extra sitting around from the last 3 years. Need to get rid of it. Can't wait! 6 weeks away!

Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    This isn't a 2008 card, but its recent arrival has only enhanced my appetite for the new set.

2001 Topps Heritage
  • Options
    Finally got it, huh, Geordie. I'm afraid to ask what it put you back.

I just got the '01 Duke Snider relic this week. It's like Christmas all over again,

Ian
  • Options
    The dual relics were always hard to pull not to mention track down years later. I only pulled one (a pujols/musial). Heritage
    is totally addictive!

Kevin
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i>There is a guy on ebay offering 2008 Heritage baseball hobby cases for $576 delivered. >>

Now there is a dealer who is ahead of a curve.....why wait to get Oct 2008 prices for Heritage cases...when he can get them now...LOL
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of duals, just a little teaser of last year's fun as we head into this year's Heritage season....

IWTDMBII
  • Options

<< <i>Now there is a dealer who is ahead of a curve.....why wait to get Oct 2008 prices for Heritage cases...when he can get them now...LOL >>

For a set builder, waiting is fine, but if you are looking to pay for some of the case with your "hits" you had better get in early. Last year I paid $969 for my 2007 A&G case on a pre sell, and paid for the whole thing with 5 hits from the case that 4 months later wouldn't have gotten me 50% of what they sold for. If you use potential "hits" to subsidize the case price, then you have to be in early.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Ian, the dual set me back just under a Franklin. $200 "book" value, so I guess I did ok.

<< <i>Speaking of duals, just a little teaser of last year's fun as we head into this year's Heritage season....

image >>

I'm still in awe over that pull, Kurt. Awe, and not a little bit of jealousy.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Ebbets field seat card is sweeet! How much does something like that go for?
  • Options
    Getting in early usually is the way to go, however I'll mention some a few exceptions, notably 2006 A&G....Most of the group A
    autos were selling for 100-250 bucks..not bad, but many of them now go for over 600 bucks. Also the Goudey autos from this
    year. The first Tiger Woods went for 510 dollars....sounds great doesn't it....that card now (with the info that there were only
    10), now sells for 10 grand!

Of course heritage is a bit easier to gauge as most of the rare cards are numbered. I remember thinking that 50 bucks was way to
    much to pay for the Gordon cut out, but now you can't touch one for triple that. I still consider my 06 set complete without it, but
    it would be nice to have it.

The big black chrome hits will benifit by the sell early policy. Ryan cleaned up a few years ago on the Bonds black......is there a chrome
    checklist yet?

Kevin
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Nope, but I have a feeling we will be seeing plenty of Middle Relievers and number 8 hitters.

I would be happy if they included Jonny Gomes in the chrome set for once, but I don't even think he's in the base set.
  • Options
    Would like to know the groups thoughts on the pre-sale prices on cases of 2008 Topps Hertiage???

In my past experience, Blowout cards usually has the best prices out on the web. If you search on EBay, Blowout cards has a buy it now on a case of 2008 Topps Heritage for $674.99. The only other person I see right now is offering a case at $559.00. I know both sellers are legit from personal experiences but I can not figure out why there would be such a huge difference between these two reputable dealers? Would anyone care to speculate?

Craig in Texas

• Options
    TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    Maybe he got stuck with product from past years and wants to make sure he can get it sold.....
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football
  • Options
    I know this card is 2005, but I love how the chromes look slabbed.

• Options
    Topps MUST do a better job on the chrome checklist this year. 07 was laim.

Kevin
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    I would add this info regarding the low price on ebay. My local dealer, who is very upfront and honest with me, is a topps authorized dealer. He buys topps products quite regularly, including heritage. He cannot figure out how that guy can offer them that low.....it is below his cost even. His price to me was $640/case (I don't know what his cost is). So maybe that guy is a topps-connected guy in some way and my local guy is just an average guy. However, Blowout has to be a super-high volume topps dealer so i'd imagine they get highly preferred pricing from topps.

I should add that I went ahead and bought from the $559 dealer like many of you did. I hope for all of us it is legit.
  • Options
    Who did you buy from? There are two dealers on ebay offering this under $600..
  • Options
    Actually three dealers.

aaee8 1199 feedback 99.8% positive $569.95
    svu18 335 feedback 99.7% positive $559.00
    shortportch 1654 feedback 100% positive $559.00

Seems like a good price.

Suggestions??
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    I used svu, he had many case sales in his history - all positive results, so I feel good about it.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    wow that looks like around 47$ a box.. id be careful on that. i still have login info to dist... from when i had the store. and 52$ a box is the going rate.

that not direct from topps. but i cant see 47$ a box and turning profit. unless they getting it at 45$ and they plan on making 24$ a case.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your input regarding the pricing. Hopefully the seller will come through on delivering the $559 cases!

Craig in Texas
  • Options
    Turns out that the seller svu18, that has cases for $559.00 is only about 15 or 20 miles from me, so I emailed him that if I bought from him that I would like to pick mine up in person, and he said no problem. That eases my mind a little. image
  • Options

<< <i>Turns out that the seller svu18, that has cases for $559.00 is only about 15 or 20 miles from me, so I emailed him that if I bought from him that I would like to pick mine up in person, and he said no problem. That eases my mind a little. image >>

Maybe he'll knock off a few bucks as well if you pay in person instead of going through ebay.
  • Options

<< <i>Turns out that the seller svu18, that has cases for $559.00 is only about 15 or 20 miles from me, so I emailed him that if I bought from him that I would like to pick mine up in person, and he said no problem. That eases my mind a little. image >>

That is the perfect arrangment....internet prices without all the crap that comes with it...high shipping, slow shipping..blah blah blah. Congrats!

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe he'll knock off a few bucks as well if you pay in person instead of going through ebay. >>

He has already said paypal was no problem, so im guessing he needs the money now as opposed to when the product comes live. After eBay fees and paypal fees, at the case price he's offering, he cant be making too much, but that's not my concern. image
  • Options
    Okay, I'm in from an eBay buy, hope it works out.

When is release date?