Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Official 2008 TOPPS HERITAGE Thread

Comments

• Options
    I've heard Feb. 28th...
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Anyone know which cards are the Baseball Thrills subset? Any scans, yet?
  • Options
    I know there has been a lot of excitement for the upcoming release of Topps Heritage but now I am going to play devil's advocate. Don't get me wrong I am really looking forward to the 2008 Topps Heritage but I hope they do something to give it a little punch. I mean has anyone seen the AUTOGRAPH LIST???? If you look at the list the first 37 are in alphabetical order. I think that Topps was looking at this list of 37 and thought that they should throw in more names so they add 9 more to the weak lineup which does not improve the list by much. In my opinion, the 46 subjects are very weak and it seems that every year the autograph list gets weaker and weaker. Where's Ernie Banks? Duke Snider? Bob Gibson? Brooks Robinson? Willie Mays? Hank Aaron?

REAL ONE AUTOGRAPHED CARDS

Mike Baxes
    Charlie Beamon
    Zeke Bella
    Bob Blaylock
    Gary Blaylock
    Jim Bolger
    Tom Carroll
    Phil Clark
    Solly Drake
    Carl Erskine
    Bob Giallombardo
    Eddie Haas
    Russ Heman
    Billy Hunter
    Randy Jackson
    Ted Kazanski
    Chick King
    Ken Lehman
    Morrie Martin
    Bob Martyn
    Les Moss
    Don Mueller
    Johnny O'Brien
    Herb Plews
    J.W. Porter
    Tom Qualters
    Bill Renna
    Lou Skizas
    Bob Smith
    Bob Speake
    George Susce
    Lee Tate
    Dick Tomanek
    Vito Valentinetti
    Preston Ward
    Gus Zernial
    George Zuverink
    Minnie Minoso
    Yogi Berra
    Luis Aparicio
    Bill Mazeroski
    Joba Chamberlain
    Freddy Sanchez
    Travis Hafner
    Aramis Ramirez
    Scott Podsednik

Any thoughts from the group????

Craig in Texas
  • Options
    Agree it does look weak image
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    The autograph checklist has only gotten weaker, but we can thank some heritage additions for that..namely cut autos and
    real 1959 cards, both of which cost money, so I guess they saved money by avoiding the expensive signers. Also I believe
    Mays and Aaron are off limits except to DLP.

If you also want to get more mad, look at the odds, they started at 1:152 in 2001, now they are almost twice that. You will probably
    go and entire case without pulling one...OUCH

Kevin
  • Options
    Very weak auto list indeed. Last year I bought a case and eight boxes with no ink. image
    Looking for Cello packs with Bill Buckner on top
  • Options
    I just got back and email from Clay Luraschi at topps. I asked him about the box toppers and he said that while each card
    won't have the same quantity, there will be multiple issues of cards like Mantle.

Pretty decent news!

Kevin
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got back and email from Clay Luraschi at topps. I asked him about the box toppers and he said that while each card
    won't have the same quantity, there will be multiple issues of cards like Mantle.

Pretty decent news!

Kevin >>

Wow, really? Topps is going to put out some Mickey Mantle cards? Yippee! I think I could go the rest of my life without seeing another Mantle card issued. This news is about as earth-shaking as Upper Deck announcing they're going to start this new program called "redemptions."

• Options
    no they meant the original 59 topps cards...I was wondering if they were going to put out any of the big names, and
    they said they were. These are not inserts, but real 59 topps

Kevin
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    ah, thanks for clarifying that for me, Kevin. Guess I just glossed over where you were talking about box toppers. I still could go the rest of my life without more modern Mantle inserts.

Seriously, Upper Deck should check into that redemption idea. Might just be what their company needs to set themselves apart from the rest of the industry.
  • Options
    Hey Kevin,

Did Clay give any reasoning as to why they are going to ruin these "original" 1959's by placing a foil stamp on them? Since I am still working on my 1959 set, I would really want the opportunity to build on my 1959 set (even if I get strictly commons). I am getting 6 cases which means I should be getting 36 of these originals. I wouldn't be able to use them in my set if they are stamped but I guess I could trade them....

Craig in Texas
  • Options
    86nova86nova Posts: 187 ✭✭
    As opposed to starting a new thread, I thought I would add here. Am looking to complete the NAP sub-set from the 01 Topps Heritage. Cards needed are: 3- A-Rod, 5-Junior, 6- Chipper Jones, 13- Helton, and 15- Maddux. Please PM me if you would be willing to sell any. Thanks--Craig in Ohio
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Craig Nova - pm sent.
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Ok guys, this is the one that needs to be on page 1. Happy 2008 Heritage to all !
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    An FYI.......just got an email from Jack Lockwood (lockwood108). He will NOT be carrying Heritage this year so that inexpensive retail venue is gone.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options
    Anyone have any more new detailed information about the 1959 Topps Originals to be inserted in the boxes that has not already been discussed here?

Craig in Texas
  • Options
    Anybody else notice that '08 Base sets and master sets are already 'available'? Did sellers do this before the '07 release? I also see that there are a few additional box/case sellers over the last week or so. As noted earlier, very wide price range this year. I usually use Blowout, but I don't think so this time unless their prices come down.
  • Options
    Yes, I do not understand why Blowout is so much more expensive this year. I am getting mine for $550 a case and Blowout is $100+ more than this!

Craig in Texas
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less than 4 weeks away now. It's a wonderful time of the year.
  • Options
    I'm still up in the air about how I want to attack this years set. Should I buy a case, a half case, or just a few boxes and go from there? I can't wait, the anticipation is killing me!
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    Im getting myself prepared by finally getting my 2006 Topps Heritage set into a binder. Didnt really like the set as I was opening a retail case of 2006 last year after finishing my 2007 set, but now taking the time to put them into a binder has made them grow on me a little.
  • Options
    The entire checklist is listed -- finally -- on the Topps website. Of the 500 base cards, there are some changes. A quick look at the chromes seems to indicate a good bunch of players on the list.
  • Options
    Another quick look at the checklist reveals some interesting cut signature cards

Mantle, Ashburn, Mathews, Burdette, Drysdale, Clemente, Wynn, Fox, Allison and Jensen.

Wouldn't mind finding them in a pack!

• Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    I don't see how manufacturers can use the excuse that cut signatures add much to the cost of production. Especially for a product like Heritage, where each is a 1/1, I would be surprised if Topps has spent more than $1000 TOTAL in acquiring the signatures for every cut ever released in Heritage. They offset that by selling a case and a half. I would imagine that it costs more for them to produce a complete 110 card chrome set that to produce 1 cut auto card.
  • Options
    Seems like a pretty strong chrome list this year.......if there are no last minute changes.

Aaron Rowand
    Adam LaRoche
    Albert Pujols
    Alex Rios
    Alex Rodriguez
    Andre Ethier
    Andrew Miller
    B.J. Ryan
    B.J. Upton
    Barry Zito
    Ben Sheets
    Billy Butler
    Billy Wagner
    Brad Penny
    Brandon Phillips
    Brandon Webb
    Brian Bannister
    Brian McCann
    Carlos Delgado
    Chase Utley
    Chien-Ming Wang
    Chipper Jones
    Chris Young
    Chris Young
    Clay Buchholz
    Cole Hamels
    Curt Schilling
    Daisuke Matsuzaka
    David Ortiz
    David Wright
    Derek Jeter
    Derrek Lee
    Dontrelle Willis
    Eric Byrnes
    Erik Bedard
    Fausto Carmona
    Felix Hernandez
    Francisco Rodriguez
    Gary Matthews
    Grady Sizemore
    Hanley Ramirez
    Hideki Matsui
    Homer Bailey
    Hunter Pence
    Ian Kinsler
    IchiroSeattle
    Ivan Rodriguez
    J.J. Putz
    Jacoby Ellsbury
    James Shields
    Jason Isringhausen
    Jeff Francis
    Jeff Kent
    Jimmy Rollins
    Joba Chamberlain
    Joe Mauer
    John Lackey
    John Maine
    John Smoltz
    Jonathan Papelbon
    Jorge Posada
    Jose Reyes
    Jose Valverde
    Josh Beckett
    Josh Hamilton
    Justin Morneau
    Justin Upton
    Justin Verlander
    Kelvim Escobar
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Lance Berkman
    Lyle Overbay
    Magglio Ordonez
    Manny Ramirez
    Mark Teixeira
    Matt Cain
    Matt Holliday
    Matt Kemp
    Miguel Cabrera
    Nick Markakis
    Prince Fielder
    Rich Harden
    Rick Ankiel
    Robinson Cano
    Ronnie Belliard
    Roy Halladay
    Roy Oswalt
    Russell Martin
    Ryan Braun
    Ryan Zimmerman
    Sammy Sosa
    Tim Hudson
    Tim Lincecum
    Todd Helton
    Torii Hunter
    Trevor Hoffman
    Troy Tulowitzki
    Ubaldo Jimenez
    Vernon Wells
    Vladimir Guerrero
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Looks really strong - thanks for posting, Nick.

But Sammy Sosa? Sammy freaking Sosa? Heritage Chrome has been berry berry good for Sammy.
  • Options
    ME LIKE THAT LIST OF CHROMES. Looks like topps listened but where too cheap to put in Bonds or any true rookies.

Kevin
  • Options
    Any new information on the 1959 original cards??? Are they really going to stamp these? YUCK! I sure would like to see a checklist of these along with quantities made.

Craig in Texas
  • Options
    No word from topps on the 59 originals, although I think you can count on them being stamped.

That chrome list is darn-near perfect. Makes up for last years stinker.
  • Options
    Hmmm, I might even be interested in the chrome set this year. That's a good looking list right there.
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    nflhofnflhof Posts: 189 ✭✭
    I was in Target today scanning for somethng to open and I bought blaster of 2007-08 Topps Chrome Basketball. The cards are terrible. They changed the detail and it seems the cards do not have any depth. I can't even read the players first names. I hope they didnt change the chrome in Heritage. Something is different in these.
  • Options
    19 days left. image
  • Options
    I too hope the 2007-08 basketball is not a sign of the future on Chrome the football and Baseball issues were good looking cards. In the Basketball they did them on a silver background with silver names. You have to really look to read the names. I bought a blaster and did get 2 Oden rookies, but really hate the cards.
  • Options
    On the Topps Heritage product information page, I believe the image of Ichiro is a chrome and it really doesn't look bad. I thought the '58 chromes were fine. But I hated the '57s.
    I think a lot of it has to do with the card. The '59s (like the '58s) were pretty basic and are actually enhanced by the chrome.

• Options
    Alright guys, two weeks from now.................

my birthday.............

more importantly...

08 HERITAGE BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got sheets and a binder on the stand by. I was just thinking today about the one lone Roger Clemens heritage auto..from
    02 I believe....anyone have one?

Kevin
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Alright guys, two weeks from now.................

my birthday.............

more importantly...

08 HERITAGE BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got sheets and a binder on the stand by. I was just thinking today about the one lone Roger Clemens heritage auto..from
    02 I believe....anyone have one?

Kevin >>

My birthday's this month also Kevin!

I just left a deposit with Blowout cards for a case.

The rest will come from Target and/or Wallyworld.

Let the hunt for heritage commence!!!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Don't buy Heritage from Blowout -- this year for whatever reason they are extremely high on their prices. Most people on this thread are getting cases around the $550-$570 range by using someone else.

Craig in Texas
  • Options
    I usually like to hit the card shops the first day of release and open a few boxes and try to pull an auto. If I do I pack up shop
    and head to the next place. I like to maximize my chances at an auto, plus the difference cases sometimes works out better
    when putting a set together. The one thing all of us have is that there will be a HUGE amount of SP's available in trade here.
    I'm hoping case busters won't get too many doubles. I think the insert sets will be the toughest thing to put together!

Mike.....glad you are on board this year! Im going to call that you pull a Yogi red auto, third box, third pack!

Kevin
  • Options
    Blowout has these for 55/box if you buy a case and 58/box for half a case. Is this good? What are you all paying with shipping
    per box?

Kevin
  • Options
    Kevin,

I am getting my cases at $550 delivered from a reputable EBay dealer. I would steer clear from Blowout on Heritage -- there are better deals out there!

Craig in Texas
  • Options
    48 bucks a box..how does anyone make money off that? Does that include shipping?

Kevin
  • Options
    Kevin, I don't know. My local hobby dealer can't get anywhere near that price - he doesn't understand how they can be that low either.
  • Options
    Is anyone getting their cases from the eBay seller svu18? That's who I ordered mine from for $550 on eBay, and he now has a bunch of negatives for not delivering other product. I used paypal so I should get a refund, but if he doesn't deliver, then I'm without product.
  • Options
    Ouch! I bought from him too. yikes!
  • Options
    Recent feedback for svu18
  • Options
    I ordered from him as well. It looks like he oversold on some of the prebuys....some obviously did get refunds and others got the product, let's hope he actually will have the Heritage.

Let's post any communications from/to him here guys.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    I paid $589 delivered for my case. I'm with the rest of you, I just hope like hell I get it. I did buy from a different eBay seller. He hasn't been selling much but does have several positives on $1000+ cases the last couple of weeks, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I was going to start a thread on this, but perhaps a couple of you know how this works. I've never spent more than $200 before on a card or bought more than 3 boxes at once, so losing close to $600 would be a real kick in the pants for me. I am wondering how the paypal thing works.

If I understand it, I have to file a claim within 45 days. Is this correct?? Then I need to upgrade to a dispute within the next 20?? Is this how it works?? I paid for my case on January 18th, meaning 45 days is March 3rd. If Heritage releases February 27th, my seller might not get his cases until the 29th or March 1st, in which case, I wouldn't get mine until the 4th or 5th, even if everything goes well. That puts me a couple of days past the date. Should I do the claim thing the last week of February?? Should I contact the seller and explain I'm not trying to be a jacka$$, just protecting myself and let him know what is going on, that I'll obviously drop the claim and not escalate to the next level upon receipt?? Or should I just do it and not let the seller know and hope I don't upset him?? The deadline for my claim falls on about the same day I should receive, unless he would get his cases before the 27th. I just don't want to get caught with my pants down on this one.

Here's a link to my auction, I don't see many redflags. Text

Glad you're on board this year Stone, and if I haven't said yet, it's great to have you back here. I haven't been around or posted much myself lately.

Kevin, heritage releases on your birthday?? Doesn't get much more appropriate than that does it??

Good luck to all of you, hope we all get our cases and boxes. I missed out on last years after completing '05 and '06, so look forward to doing trades again.

shawn
  • Options
    You are safe with paypal, but if I understand right, all of you have already pre-paid? I would ticked off if I gave some jerk an
    intrest free loan for a month. Did this guy have decent feedback before all the negatives?

Big Red...great to see you again, how is your boy? Ready to pull a black chrome Griff I bet! Yes my birthday will be great this
    year!

Kevin
  • Options
    Now I'm curious. I too paid for a case from him. My payment was made on Jan 6. with paypal. According to ebay, as of today it says I have 5 days to file a dispute. Since this is still a couple weeks away from release will I still be able to get my money back or have some paypal protection should something go wrong? Also, does anyone know when retail cases will be available and any good sources?
    Looking for Cello packs with Bill Buckner on top
  • Options
    I think the time frame does come into play here. That's why I waited until Jan. 22nd to purchase my case from svu18 with paypal. You may want to file before the 45 days expire "just in case". You can always undo it when the case shows up.