Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Dear Mr. Skowron (My 2006 Allen & Ginter auto TTM project)

Comments

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>alifaxwa2 -- Those kind of stories always amaze me... How does an athlete (or whoever) manage to hang onto their unanswered mail for that long, and what inspires them to sit down one day and answer it after that much time has past? ... Also, I just checked out your TTM gallery. Nice work! Lots of great pieces in there. I especially like the old Steelers stuff, but my favorite may actually be the Billy Crystal sig on the Monsters, Inc. poster(?)... my 2-year-old daughter is a big fan of Mike Wazowski. >>

I have always wondered whether it got lost or he just started to start signing. The season before that came back to me, I sent Chris a picture of me and him that I had taken at a paid signing. I hope it doesnt take another 6 years to get back.

The Crystal is one of the few I have actually up on the wall. My other favorite is the Kurtwood Smith with the inscription "Erin, Jeffrey is a Dumbass"
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options

Thought I might get Prior eventually. Sent to him in spring training with no luck. Sent this one to him c/o the Cubs in July and got it back today.

• Options
    Sent off 5 today hope to have some results on these in a few weeks, will be sending off more later in the week.

Do you guys have better success with a hand-written or typed letter. In the past I have not noticed any real difference. I do think older players tend to read these more often and will usually send them hand written ones.
  • Options

I always hand-write my letters, so I'm not sure, but it's possible it doesn't make a bit of difference.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    not to the new guys it dont,they could care less,they cant even sign their own name lol, the old guys love hand written letters, look at the letter i got from the old guy the other day,new guys suck for autos,i sent about 15 just to see how many years it would take for me to get em back,you can post on mine too leiascards,you never answer any of my pms,just about done with ya skippy-yer fingers broke or something?????
    randy
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    This is the best thread on these boards. I only wish I had your initiative.
    Good work!
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elemenopeo,

I see that every once in a while you post some that you have gotten off of the Buy/Sell/Trade boards. Do you have a thread posted for wanting them? Do you think I need to start one for Cardinals autos that I don't have? I never really thought of that. Maybe there are some that would do some trading.

Shane

• Options
    mkg809 -- Thanks for the nice comments. For my money, though, the Mail Call thread is the best thing going... at least until Mike comes up with another contest. image

frankhardy -- I don't have a thread on the sportscollectors B/S/T board, but I check it regularly for anyone looking to unload '06 A&G autos. It certainly wouldn't hurt to start a thread there to post what you're looking for.
  • Options
    Two eBay pickups. Lewis was the last non-baseball player I needed, and it was a pain in the ass. I sent to Lewis twice, including once last October and again in June with a $20 check to his foundation. He sent back one of the cards, but it wasn't signed. He did include an autograph on some other card of his own. Rather than try again with another check, I decided just to pick up this one on eBay instead. Glad to have it out of the way at last.

imageimage
  • Options
    i actually just got lewis 2 weeks ago. After a 281 day wait i recieved back my A&G signed, as well as a couple other signed items he threw in as well. It did take forever but i'm suprised he didn't sign your card, especially if you included a donation.

luke
    Slowly but surely working on:
    • Kirby Puckett
    • Al Newman
    • Al Toon
    • Troy Bell
    • Trish Stratus
    • 1965 Topps BB
    • 1987 Topps FB Auto'd
  • Options

Yeah, I'm not sure why some folks had success with him and I didn't, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Congrats on yours.
  • Options

Another eBay day... Tried Capuano thrice through the mail.

imageimage
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

HOLY POOP!!!

I about dropped dead when I found this in the mail today. Sent this one to Johnson in July. No fee. This makes my friggin' month.

• Options
    Wow, good one on the RJ. From what I've experienced and heard, he is flip-floppish when it comes to freebie autos--in person or TTM.

Back when he was playing with the Mariners and still had major control problems, I'd wait outside the team parking lot after a game and he'd always walk quickly to his truck without saying a word or looking our way. Friend of mine ran into him at the mall around the same time and just said "hello," and he came away with an autograph and a lengthy conversation. Lucky SOB.

I guess sometimes he's too busy and easily irritated, and other times he's so bored he needs something, ANYTHING to do.

In this case, his back surgery is your gain... ya think?
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    HOLY HUMAN WASTE MATERIAL!

It's been a little while since you have gotten one. I would say it was worth the wait. I didn't think he would sign TTM. Maybe I should check on sportscollectors.net.

Shane

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the Big Unit signing.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>In this case, his back surgery is your gain... ya think? >>

Possibly. A bit of unusual packaging (based on a tip I received from a TTM guru who has taken pity on me more than once before) may have helped as well... who knows?
  • Options

Another from the "it-ain't-pretty-but-I'll-count-it" category. Sent this one out during spring training, 245 days ago to be exact... a new record. I've been getting quite a few spring-training send-outs back since the regular season ended... most unsigned. Bastuhds.

• Options

<< <i>Another from the "it-ain't-pretty-but-I'll-count-it" category. Sent this one out during spring training, 245 days ago to be exact... a new record. I've been getting quite a few spring-training send-outs back since the regular season ended... most unsigned.

<< <i>

His auto isn't pretty either. image

Shane

• Options

Another from the "there's-always-hope" category... 243 days.

• Options
    What is your record for longest wait? I had a Mark Mulder (235 days) and a 1975 Topps John Curtis (248 days) in back to back days. This past week.

Shane

• Options

The Derrick Turnbow last week at 245.
  • Options
    awesome, I just got my Erstad yesterday as well image
    On the Yankee Bandwagon since April 22nd, 1979 (my first game).
    ______
    Collecting all Yankees especially:
    Thurman Munson, Yogi Berra, Melky Cabrera!

For my son:
    Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada

MY Baseball Card Page
    My Player Collection Needs
  • Options
    i know what you mean about the "unusual packaging" theory. I've used it a few times to get toughies for my 87 FB set. Most notably Eric Dickerson where i knocked out his regular card, team card, and league leader. that was a sweet mail day.

luke
    Slowly but surely working on:
    • Kirby Puckett
    • Al Newman
    • Al Toon
    • Troy Bell
    • Trish Stratus
    • 1965 Topps BB
    • 1987 Topps FB Auto'd
  • Options

A couple of eBay finds...

imageimage
  • Options

In September, I picked up a Capuano auto on Ebay, having more or less given up on the three requests I'd sent to him since February... Guess what comes in the mail yesterday, each in its own SASE.

Any big Chris Capuano fans out there?
  • Options

A big eBay haul... pleased as punch.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    That Fielder is on the money!!! I went to an Astros game over the summer and Fielder was one of the last players to come into the dugout after pre-game warm ups. There were three of us waiting, not really expecting any more chances to get anyone's auto when Fielder stopped suddenly and signed for all of us. I didn't have a card but managed to get my ticket out, and he signed it with almost that exact same auto as you bought. Great pick up.
    Paul
    #1 2000 Blue Xceptional Set(and #2 and #3, it's a sickness)
    1933 Giants
  • Options
    I agree with what has been said about the Fielder. It matches the ones I have gotten inperson. It seems like you have a majority of the cards signed, what ones are left to be signed?
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with what has been said about the Fielder. It matches the ones I have gotten inperson. It seems like you have a majority of the cards signed, what ones are left to be signed? >>

That's good to hear about the Fielder. As for how many left... actually, not even quite to the half-way point yet.
  • Options
    imageimage
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

Wow... 262 days. Nice surprise.

• Options
    A huge thank you to Elemenopeo. He sent me a couple of his extra Capuano autographs. The generosity is greatly appreciated.
    I love the smell of commerce in the morning!
    - Jason Lee, "Mallrats"
  • Options

Inching along again... and starting to put myself to sleep.

Hey, look, it's Mike Lieberthal! ...... image

• Options
    Just figured I'd bump this since we're only 33 days until pitchers and catchers report for Spring. Are you going to be sending anymore out this year and how many cards do you have left to get signed?
  • Options
    I'll send some out when spring training arrives, but not a ton like last year. I AM still pursuing this project, but I'm resigned to the fact that I'm going to have to be shelling out some bucks for almost all of the remainder.. and likely at pretty sporadic pace for years to come.

I've got 150 of these signed so far, which means... gulp ... 160 to go.

• Options

Un-friggin-real. It's been more than two months since I've had a successful return from a TTM request and I get two back today, both from requests sent out more than a year ago. The Baker was actually one from the very first small batch of these I sent out in October of '06 and clocks in at 470 days. The Sabathia took a mere 413 days.

I actualy gave up the Baker for dead in April of last year and sent out a second request; I got that one back in only 11 days. This one's the keeper of the two, though, as the other was signed in black ballpoint.

imageimage

• Options
    imageimage

• Options

Picked this one up on eBay from board member tsalem. Thank you, sir!

• Options

This one made the roundtrip in 309 days.

• Options

Khalil Greene also catching up on some mail. This came in today just shy of a year... 362 days.

• Options

After several days on the road, I came back home to find these four waiting for me... They bring my total to 158 out of the possible 310. So, that's 17 months it took to get to 50%. Yikes.

imageimage
    imageimage

Guillen and Konerko come courtesy of board member DonnieD who picked them up in person at this year's SoxFest. Thanks, Donnie! The Torre was an eBay pickup and I actually used the PSA/DNA quick opinion on that one, which was a first for me. The Yaz was a mail-in to a recent signing appearance. Only a couple more old guys left to get... Frank Robinson (again) and Felipe Alou.

• Options
    Very cool. Did you get Yaz TTM or through Bud's signings earlier this month?
  • Options

<< <i>Very cool. Did you get Yaz TTM or through Bud's signings earlier this month? >>

Thanks. Yep, the Yaz was through Bud's.
  • Options
    I love the Yaz. Do you have any duplicates of that card?
  • Options

<< <i>I love the Yaz. Do you have any duplicates of that card? >>

Sure do... yours if you want it. Drop me a PM.
  • Options
    How much did they charge?

<< <i>

<< <i>Very cool. Did you get Yaz TTM or through Bud's signings earlier this month? >>

Thanks. Yep, the Yaz was through Bud's. >>

• Options

That was $57 with shipping.
  • Options

A donation from a friend who spared me from having to pay Atkins' usual $25 fee... Thank you, sir!

• Options

An eBay pickup. The seller's claim that it was obtained in person is backed up by the layer of authentic spring-training grime on the card... a little bonus I wasn't expecting.