Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Dear Mr. Skowron (My 2006 Allen & Ginter auto TTM project)

Comments

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Tsalem -- That's just an outstanding collection. I'm overwhelmed with jealousy, but I've just sent you a friendly email, anyway.

• Options
    awesome awesome autographs guys! thanks for sharing. i love this set - still tryin to put together all the minis and autographs.

and i love the statue of liberty auto. contacting the superintendent... very cool indeed!
  • Options

I know that 56 days is not a particularly long time to have to wait for a TTM auto, but this one from Chastain sets a new longevity record for a succesful request within the scope of this little project of mine. (I only mention it so that you may insert your own joke here about keeping your shirt on.)

On a side note, there is some talk on the boards at sportscollectors.net that Bill Skowron may no longer be signing autographs. It's a bit depressing, but I'm sure he's done more than his share. From what I understand, he's been a prolific signer for a long time.

• Options
    This is definitely my second-favorite thread next to the mail call one. I agree with you Elemenopeo that they look much better in blue sharpie.

Those are the base cards for the set? (I'm not familiar at all with anything modern)

What do those boxes go for? That's a beautiful and interesting set.

Good luck on more successful requests! image

Arthur
  • Options

<< <i>I know that 56 days is not a particularly long time to have to wait for a TTM auto, but this one from Chastain sets a new longevity record for a succesful request within the scope of this little project of mine. (I only mention it so that you may insert your own joke here about keeping your shirt on.)

On a side note, there is some talk on the boards at sportscollectors.net that Bill Skowron may no longer be signing autographs. It's a bit depressing, but I'm sure he's done more than his share. From what I understand, he's been a prolific signer for a long time.
    q]
    thats what im reading as well about skowron. I just made a trade and picked up a skowron allen ginter auto'd which will replace the 1 he signed for me (he personalized mine)
    I hope to have it tomorrow

tom
  • Options
    Arthur -- Wow, your second favorite thread? That's great! I'm sometimes concerned that this thread is just plain old obnoxious (in fact, I'm pretty well convinced of it), and I often consider just letting it die. But if you could have seen how my wife's face glazed over when I brought up Moose Skowron's signing habits at dinner tonight, well... let's just say I was scanning and posting the new Chastain auto before the dishes were clean. It fills a need.

And, yes, these are the base cards from the set. Hobby boxes are selling on eBay in the neighborhood of $110 delivered. I haven't seen any packs or blaster boxes in stores around my area since September.

I'm really not one for modern cards, either, but this set caught my eye and I was hooked right away.

• Options
    I have a ton of base cards lieing around if anyone needs a particular player .... just see my Allen Ginter web page link in my sig....

I put together two mini parallel sets --- both the regular back and a&g "ad back" .... I love the minis..

... not a huge fan of the regular sized card though.

-t

PS I bought a bunch of blister boxes online (places like Dick's sporting Goods) ... not sure if they still have them.
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Ditto to what Xanadu said.

Well maybe it's not my 2nd favorite thread but gotta be in the top 5 image

But seriously, you found an awesome niche. Great design, manageable set, wide range, and got to be creative.

This, my friends, is what collecting is all about image

Major props image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    So are the ones you're using for TTM autos the regular or minis? Is there a difference between the two other than size? What percentage of the set do you pull from a box? (Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have no idea how many cards/pack and packs/box).

There's no way I'd try a TTM project like you're doing but those are really nice looking cards and I love the diverse set subjects.

Thanks for the info!

Arthur
  • Options

<< <i>So are the ones you're using for TTM autos the regular or minis? Is there a difference between the two other than size? What percentage of the set do you pull from a box? >>

The cards I'm using for the TTM autos are the regular-sized cards, the base cards. There are five, count 'em five, parallel sets of varying degrees of scarcity, each of which are minis (the same size as the original Allen & Ginters from 1887). Four of those five parallel sets are distinguished by the kind of backs they have. The fifth has a black border on the front. The minis ARE very nice as blindflyer noted, but don't leave much room for autographs. Here's one of my favorites (shown here almost twice the actual size):

(special thanks to CU board member kmnorton for generously restoring this one to my collection)

I suppose you could say there are even more parallel minis if you count the printing plate inserts and the 1 of 1 versions of each card that are made out of wood (don't ask me).

I got about 40 percent of the base set out my first hobby box, which contains 24 packs of 7 cards. The 7 cards in each pack consist of 5 base cards, 1 mini card and 1 Dick Perez sketch card (or GU or auto insert). I could go on about box toppers and short prints, etc., but that's the gist of it.

The funny things is that before I got into this set, I wouldn't have been able to tell you what a parallel card is.
  • Options
    LOL

I know what you mean. I considered picking up some '06 Bowman Chrome cards of one player I like until I saw the 4 dozen colored refractor bullcrap. No thanks.

Thanks for the input. I think I might see if I can pick up a base set on the bay (depending on what they're going for AFTER Xmas image). Keep those scans coming Elemenopeo image

Good luck!

Arthur
  • Options

I think Takeru Kobayashi may have signed my Clint Barmes card. Still nice, though.

• Options
    I love everything about the Allen & Ginter set -- the designs, the thick card stock that resists scuffing and dinging, the size of the set, the way parallels work. It's just a perfect balance of aesthetics, practicality, and collectibility. Base set collectors can complete the set relatively affordably, while amassing a large number of minis. A complete set of minis is a little pricier, but not insanely so. Certainly not as bad as Chrome or Bowman refractors. The A&G back minis and black border minis are reasonably easy to come across, while the Bazooka minis offer a decent challenge for the chase-card mavens. Not to mention the 1/1 printing plates, limited autographs, relics, rip cards, and buyback cards that appeal to today's "modern" card collector.

And the base set is gorgeous! I am never disappointed when I buy and open a pack, even if I end up with all commons. Cards of dead presidents, Hulk Hogan, Takeru Kobayashi, and the Statue of Liberty at the end of the set? Genius!

If the Topps Company were to sell a complete base set in some sort of old style wood or cigar box, I'd snap it up and stare at it like a total goof.

Topps Heritage, beautiful as it is, is too "out of hand" in my opinion, while Allen & Ginter feels "just right."

Watching you post these autographs is a treat. These cards are perfect for autos, due to the thick stock and large blank areas. Every time you post one, I wonder what the player thought about the card.
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options

<< <i>I think Takeru Kobayashi may have signed my Clint Barmes card. Still nice, though. >>

And add me to the list of those who loves following your progress on this thread.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭
    I just read this thread for the first time, and I too absolutely loved it. I was disappointed when I got to the end. I will definitely keep reading it. To me, TTM was always a one time stab in the dark. But you have put meaning into it. Awesome.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    Elemenopeo,

I finally finished my A&G set (with thanks to you) and was wondering were you are getting these cards signed. Where would one go to get these addresses????? Not only for this set but I am thinking of trying my hand at TTM inm 2007.....

Thanks
    Bryans
    munson15
    On the Yankee Bandwagon since April 22nd, 1979 (my first game).
    ______
    Collecting all Yankees especially:
    Thurman Munson, Yogi Berra, Melky Cabrera!

For my son:
    Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada

MY Baseball Card Page
    My Player Collection Needs
  • Options

Just want to say thank you to everyone who has offered their encouragement. I really, really appreciate it.

Bryans -- A majority of the addresses I've used have come from .www.sportscollectors.net which has a subscription fee of $14.99. That site can also give you a good idea of who will sign and who won't and provide some good "how-to" tips. It's a good place to start, but as I've gotten further into this, I've had to do more and more of my own snooping around the Internet to find addresses --- and that's actually been kind of fun.

A lot of people also recommend Harvey Meiselman's sports address lists, but I have not purchased one yet and am still not sure that I will. If I do, I'll wait for the newest version which is supposed to come out in January.

Congrats on completing the A&G set, and best of luck if you decide to take up any TTM project .
  • Options
    Real creative!! Nice!! As far as some of the historical figures.....have a little fun. Maybe have Jesse James, the celeb motocycle builder autograph the real Jesse James. I think he mentioned on his show that he was actually related to him. Then have Emilio Estevez sign the Billy The Kid card since he played him in Young Guns!! That way you get the two cards signed by two actual celebs!
  • Options
    Thanks for the info....

I am loving watching your project. Post more as you get them!!!!

Have you had any NOT come back at all????
    ______

For my son:

MY Baseball Card Page
  • Options

MPeter -- Thanks for the creative suggestions. I did, at one point, consider going after some descendants to sign those historical-figure cards, but quickly cooled on the idea because... well, for example, I wouldn't want one of Mantle's kids to sign his card (not that they would), and it just follows, I think, that I should treat all those who are posthumously featured equally. I'm certainly open to suggestions because I'm really out of ideas for those. It's pretty difficult if not impossible to get around the implication of any autograph on a photo that the signer IS the person shown.

Bryans (Munson15) -- I started sending out requests the first week of October, so it's too early to really consider any that have not come back yet as gone for good. The Chastain card which came back signed just a few days ago, for example, was one of those that went out that first week.
  • Options
    Elemenopeo, if you're open to suggestions on what to do with subjects who have already passed on I'd be glad to chime in with my $0.02. If you put a list of everyone that fits into that description up I'll sit down and see if I could come up with a common thread amongst them all. May or may not work but I'd be willing to try just to see your project continue and get closer to completion.

Obviously, it's entirely up to you as this is your baby and, in the end, you have to be happy with it but I'd welcome the opportunity to wrap my brain around this issue. Good luck either way and I can't wait to see who's going to be next. image

Thanks for sharing this.

Arthur
  • Options
    Bryon,

Your thread is addicting ..... below is my first TTM auto since I was 12!

I sent her two -- -one for her to keep -- and she sent them both back to me.

-Tom
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    Arthur -- Wrap away. Here's a list of the would-be ghost signers grouped by athletes and historical figures.

imageimage

I really look forward to hearing any ideas you or anyone else may have. I don't want to get too carried away with this aspect, though, and stretch the connection between card and signer too far. I certainly wouldn't sweat it to just leave these unsigned. I consider the four kind of oddball autographs that I've gotten so far as fun little bonuses rather than steps toward completion of the set.

Tom -- Nice looking Finches! Congrats.

Edited to note that Bob Fitzsimmons should be in the athlete's group (though I understand that Lincoln was also a pretty good fighter in his day).
  • Options
    I would say go for the families of some of the historical figures...

Then maybe the 'expert' on the subject....

just my 2 cents....

bryans
    ______

For my son:

MY Baseball Card Page
  • Options

<< <i>Arthur -- Wrap away. Here's a list of the would-be ghost signers grouped by athletes and historical figures.

I really look forward to hearing any ideas you or anyone else may have. I don't want to get too carried away with this aspect, though, and stretch the connection between card and signer too far. I certainly wouldn't sweat it to just leave these unsigned. I consider the four kind of oddball autographs that I've gotten so far as fun little bonuses rather than steps toward completion of the set. >>

Each of those people probably have an "estate", library, archive, or something similar that is managed. You could try and get an auto from the director of the managing organizations.
  • Options
    Hi Elemenopeo,

I have a Takeru Kobayashi A & G card that I want to get sign. Can you PM me or post here the address? I need to get his autograph on the card since I am Japanese and I am a big fan of his. I know you work hard to find his address, but since it is the holiday season, can you post the address for me? Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    rkwan -- I received your private message a few days ago about this, but was unable to reply because you apparently don't have PM's enabled in your profile. In most if not all cases, I've not been stingy about sharing the addresses I've used, but I don't feel particularly comfortable posting them here. If you'll go to your profile and switch on the option to "allow private mesages" and send me another PM, I'll likely get back to you quickly.

Munson15 and Blackborder -- Thanks for the suggestions. Honestly, I don't know that I'll go those routes, though. I have come up with one other idea that I'm pursuing that I think may be workable for at least a few more of the dead folks, but I'll wait to share what it is until I have something to show.

• Options

Ultimate fighting champion Randy Couture breaks my 11-day drought. Sometimes I think the hardest part of this is the waiting. I currently have about 50 requests floating around out there in the ether, and it's frustrating when not a one of them falls back through the mail slot in the door, especially for several days in a row. I've come to appreciate even the mailers marked Return to Sender.

• Options
    looks alot better than the 1 i got back.......
  • Options
    I came home today from a long Christmas vacation to find these waiting for me to unwrap. Love the Danica. I've been waiting for that since Day 1. I'll probably end up sending her another, though. I don't mind the personalization at all, but that should be Bryon with an "o" not with an "a". I'm very used to my name being misspelled, so it's not a huge deal, but it is something I'll notice every time I look at the card. Maybe I'll ship this one off to BryanS (alias Munson15) if I ever get a corrected replacement. image

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Very nice!
    I sent you a pm

fixed my PM, it was shut off for some reason so not sure if you replied?

hope you can help

thnx tom
  • Options

And so I go from a misspelled name by a champion racer to a smudge by a champion speller I can't erase. I wouldn't mind the smudges so much if they weren't on her head. Those top loaders are both friend and foe in this whole deal. Still, I'm happy to get this one. It completes my run of autographs from the women featured in the set... except for Queen Victoria.

• Options
    Bryon,

How on earth did you track down Wendy Guey? Isn't she pretty much just an "average joe" working in some random city somewhere? Did you do a "people search" on yahoo or something?

Regardless, I'm impressed with that one!

-t
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Great job and thanks for sharing image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Very nice Bryon.

Keep 'em coming!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>looks alot better than the 1 i got back.......
    image >>

Must have been after an intense training session image
  • Options
    LOL..i sent another 1 back to him
    this makes up for that though........
  • Options

Woohoo. Got both of these back today, and, coincidentally, both were the result of second attempts. The first time I sent to Hogan, the card came back unsigned but with an 8 x 10 glossy of the Hulkster (also unsigned).

If you look closely at the Tracy, you can see where he started to sign with a dying ballpoint pen, but stopped at the bottom of the 'h', and started over with the black Sharpie. I'm glad he did.

imageimage
  • Options
    What's the word under Hulkster's name? What did he add?
    - Building these sets:
  • Options

<< <i>What's the word under Hulkster's name? What did he add? >>

He added "4 Life". I'm not sure what that's all about, though.
  • Options
    congrats! very nice!!
    The hulk looks just like the 1 i got back, but he did mine with a black pen.
    looks great!
  • Options
    "4 Life" was the old slogan of a group that Hulk led when he was a bad guy in WCW called the NWO. Elemeneopeo--i know i've asked for a lot of help but i have a couple different Hulk requests out, wondering which one has worked for you? PM me if you have a minute.
    Slowly but surely working on:
    • Kirby Puckett
    • Al Newman
    • Al Toon
    • Troy Bell
    • Trish Stratus
    • 1965 Topps BB
    • 1987 Topps FB Auto'd
  • Options
    Does it make me a huge nerd that i know that?
    Slowly but surely working on:
    • Kirby Puckett
    • Al Newman
    • Al Toon
    • Troy Bell
    • Trish Stratus
    • 1965 Topps BB
    • 1987 Topps FB Auto'd
  • Options

<< <i>Does it make me a huge nerd that i know that? >>

I have an 8 x 10 glossy you may be interested in ...

Just kidding. image Thanks for the info. It's good to know. PM sent.
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    This thread dragged me back into TTM autographs. I don't recall seeing a scan of this card in the thread. It came in the mail today:
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    I just wanted to say that this is one of the best threads I've seen. Love those TTMs!!! Please keep posting!
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe I'll ship this one off to BryanS (alias Munson15) if I ever get a corrected replacement. image >>

I was thinking of sending mine, should I have her sign it to Bryon and we could trade?image
    ______

For my son:

MY Baseball Card Page
  • Options

..................................................image

Well, here's my latest make-shift solution to the problem of the would-be "ghost" signers. Waner, aka "Little Poison," died in 1982. I think Knuckles did a really nice job putting this together, and was very patient with me as we considered various options. I'm not sure why it took me as long as it did to think of taking a cut-signature approach to this. But when I did finally think of it, I also immediately thought of Knuckles. (For anyone not familiar with his work, take a look at this thread for some amazing examples.) I may do this again with a few of the other dead folks -- provided that I can find affordable signatures for them that also meet the rather limiting size requirements. This is not something that's gonna happen for, say, Chancellor Otto Von Bismarck. It would be nice to at least do the same for the card of Paul "Big Poison" Waner, Lloyd's brother.
  • Options
    I thought of that a few months ago, and then looked for signatures on eBay---decided it would cost way too much.

Edited to add: It looks awesome!
    Looking for Jonny Gomes cards, especially Triple Threads and printing plates. Will consider all cards, though. Got something? Contact me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    That's an interesting solution!
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers