Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Dear Mr. Skowron (My 2006 Allen & Ginter auto TTM project)

Comments

• Options
    Once again, Knuckles never ceases to amaze!

Well done!!!!!
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭
    Just wanted to add that while I have been monitoring eBay for usable cut signatures, I came across this beauty...

I'm still stunned by how jaw-droppingly god-awful that is. And the BIN price on it is only $339.99! Makes me appreciate Knuckles' work all the more. He does indeed rock.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    That cut sig is an insult to this thread image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>I was thinking of sending mine, should I have her sign it to Bryon and we could trade?image >>

Send that one out yet, Bryan? image Got this one with the correct spelling back today. Much quicker turnaround this second time.

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    WOW great idea and work by knuckles! i am looking to send a few his way as well! good luck on the set, what is you completion %?
  • Options

RipublicaninMass -- Not counting the unconventional autos and sticking with the count of 310 still-living people in the set, I'm at a whopping 7 percent with 22. But I'm hoping to have a good spring training... Are you looking to send some of your '55 Dodgers to Knuckles??? Now THAT would be cool.
  • Options

I finally opened up the checkbook to the HOF'ers who charge chunky fees to sign TTM. This was the first to come in. Good ol' Stan.

• Options
    Elemenopeo,

I really enjoyed catching up on your thread. I'm not sure if you've already answered this but do you plan on having the set slabbed PSA/DNA when you finish it and putting it on the registry? Granted, the fees would be pretty high and you obviously are doing this for yourself and not to flip around when finished but it would be pretty cool to be able to flip through your set with images on the registry.

Either way, keep up the good work. I'm always impressed when I read this thread. Thanks for sharing.

Arthur
  • Options
    3rd time worked for me with spinks. Wish he didnt personalize it but still happy to get it. He also sent me a autod 8x10 photo of him fighting m.ali image
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not sure if you've already answered this but do you plan on having the set slabbed PSA/DNA when you finish it and putting it on the registry? Granted, the fees would be pretty high and you obviously are doing this for yourself and not to flip around when finished but it would be pretty cool to be able to flip through your set with images on the registry. >>

I doubt I'll ever get any of them slabbed since I don't foresee ever parting with them. I'll likely just keep them in pages in a binder. This thread, I think, will have to suffice as far as showing them off to the online public. image
  • Options

<< <i>This thread, I think, will have to suffice as far as showing them off to the online public. image >>

I'm cool with that. image

Thanks again.

Arthur
  • Options

Another Leon. Finally got around to opening that stack of fan mail, I suppose.

In my letter, I asked who is the boxer on the T-shirt he's wearing in the photo. He didn't answer.

• Options

"Never answer an anonymous letter." -- Yogi Berra

• Options

A nice sig from the World Series MVP.

• Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    I don't recall seeing a Mussina auto in this thread. He came in the mail today with the Irvin.
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options

Nice job there, Jim. Those look great. Mussina was one of my firsts... The scan is on the second page of the thread.

This one from "Killer" dropped through my mail slot today...

• Options
    Did you pay the $50.00 for Killebrew or did you catch him in a good mood for free? It's a great auto!
  • Options

I coughed up the 50 bones.

• Options

So, I get this one today...

.. and since I know next to nothing about this Kotchman fella, I flip over the card to look at the stats, etc. I get to the date of birth and immediately think, as I often do when I look at players' DOBs anymore, "Wow, I'm getting old." Then, after another ten seconds of doing the math and re-checking the math, I realize to some relief that it must be an error.

• Options
    LOL...nice find!
  • Options

Looks like he took some care to make it look nice... I like that.

• Options
    I love this thread.

Thanks again for sharing image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Nice new ones!!
  • Options
    I love it when this thread comes back to the top as it usually means Elemenopeo got some mail. Congrats.
  • Options

These two bring me to the 10 percent mark -- 31 out of 310 (for the "living" set). Kind of sobering, really. Five months to get to 10 percent? It WAS the offseason, though -- and spring training starts this week. Woohoo!

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I love it when this thread comes back to the top as it usually means Elemenopeo got some mail. Congrats. >>

• Options
    Like posters have stated the cards really look good autographed

My Sports Cards/Magazines

Cards/Mags
  • Options
    Bearkat21Bearkat21 Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    Great way to kill an hours or so of work before going to lunch. Thanks and keep the scans coming. I haven't done TTM in 8 or 9 years, but I might jump back in this spring.
  • Options
    It may not be all that pretty, but I'll count it. Looks like the ink didn't get going right away in the ballpoint, and the first part of the B was lost. Dang ballpoints. This one sets a new personal longevity record for a success at 114 days. I'd actually given up on it and sent him another at spring training just a few days ago. Well, maybe I'll get that one back, too, some day with a full and glorious B.

Also wanted to add that I really appreciate the nice comments of late. It makes it a lot more fun knowing that anyone is still bothering to open this thread when it comes up. Many thanks.

• Options
    Elemenopeo, I've said it before and I'll say it again ... this is one of my favorite threads and I always open it to see what new additions you've acquired. I'm sure you sometimes find it frustrating or confusing but I actually enjoy the elaborate stories of each individual card. Some arrive home soon, some -- as in the Zito -- take the scenic route. This thread is much appreciated. Keep posting. image

Arthur
  • Options
    Bryon,

Any update on the non-living section of your quest? I'm curious as to learning more of your ideas in obtaining "sigs" for those.

-t
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options

<< <i>Any update on the non-living section of your quest? I'm curious as to learning more of your ideas in obtaining "sigs" for those. >>

That part is really on the backburner right now with spring training finally here. But I'm still keeping an eye out for potential cut signatures to use in the same way I did with the Lloyd Waner (via Knuckles), but they're tough to find -- not only in terms of affordability but also in small enough size to fit on the card AND in an aesthetically pleasing way. The most likely candidates for that yet are Paul Waner and Frank Frisch -- short and comparatively affordable names.
  • Options

The first of many (I hope) successful returns from spring training:

• Options
    Keep 'em coming...
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff guys!

How much does Stan the Man charge for his auto TTM?

thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I got these today. Buehrle is my 1st spring training success.
  • Options
    Looks like the Sox pitchers are on top of their mail!
  • Options

Mike -- Officially, Stan the Man charges $100 for an autograph on a card, according to his Web site... but het let me slide (if you can call it that) for $75.

Jim -- Congrats on those returns.
  • Options
    Jim-

This is a wonderful thread!!! Really love watching you post the results...the A & G cards look gorgeous with the autos.

Just curious- How much postage do you use on your envelopes (both the outgoing envelope and then the return envelope). Is it two standard stamps? Or do you buy a special stamp at the post office?

Keep it up!
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't think Musial charged. I know he signs postcards for free. Does he just charge for a card?

Shane

• Options
    Musial charges for everything but the postcard, apparently. Initially, I tried sending in the A&G card without a fee (figured it was worth a shot as I did learn that occasionally some do get away with it). I got it back unsigned, but with the signed postcard added. The autograph on the postcard has every appearance to me of being real -- as opposed to a facsimile or autopen. So, a great free auto from an HOF'er, I'd say. Here's a look at the postcard:

And here's a link to the price list for signed items on Stan the Man's Web site, if anyone's interested.

Brian26 -- I'm not sure what Jim uses for postage, but I use a 63-cent stamp on the outgoing 6x9 envelope, and a total of 52 cents in stamps (2 x .24 and 1 x .04) on the 4x6 self-addressed bubble mailer for the return. The return mailer is light enough for a regular 39-cent stamp -- and I tried to use that at first, but because I have the toploader in there, it sometimes would come back to me with 13 cents postage due for being "non-machinable". I've added the extra postage ever since just to be safe.
  • Options
    Intersting that we use different systems. I mail out a legal size envelope with a letter, a SASE (39 cents) and the card beween two pieces of thin cardboard. I have had bad luck with toploaders - smeared autos, bent cards, etc. The cardboard offers pretty good protection. If the weight of the cardboard is correct, I can use a 39 cent stamp for the out going letter as well. So I can get away with only using two 1st class stamps for the entire transaction.
    Three from spring training today:
  • Options

<< <i>Musial charges for everything but the postcard, apparently. Initially, I tried sending in the A&G card without a fee (figured it was worth a shot as I did learn that occasionally some do get away with it). I got it back unsigned, but with the signed postcard added. >>

I tried the same thing. No dice, but I got the signed postcard as well.
  • Options
    Nice Ausmus image
  • Options
    Great looking sigs there, Jim. Hope I'm as lucky with those guys.

Got these two back today. The Banks' auto is a bit anti-climactic somehow. Maybe it's because the signature doesn't really seem to match his personality -- or at least his personality as I've come to know it in my own imagination, I suppose. It seems like it should be more... playful. Actually, I would have expected Banks' sig to look more like Patterson's here, and Patterson's to look more like Banks'.

imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks again for sharing these-they just look incredible.
    Always looking for 1996 Select Certified Football.
  • Options
    Really sharp looking
    Gotta agree with all those posters who have stated the same

My Sports Cards/Magazines

Cards/Mags
  • Options

Hey, hey. A four-bagger today.

imageimage
    imageimage

• Options
    I really have to thank Bryon (Elemenopeo) for startng this thread. It dragged me back into TTM. It's so much fun checking the mail each day. I got four today as well, including Jim Thome!