Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Dear Mr. Skowron (My 2006 Allen & Ginter auto TTM project)

Comments

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Man, did I ever @$%^&* this one up. This came back with spots of ink running up the side from the toploader rubbing against the sig. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I decided I would try to remove the marks with a Q-tip and a bit of ... nail polish remover. "I'll be gentle," I thought. "It'll be fine." The ink came right off but that crap ate up the paper as well -- of course. I feel like the biggest friggin' idiot. I can't even say how mad I am at myself right now. To make matters worse, Wilkerson doesn't seem to be a prolific signer at all and I was probably pretty lucky to get him.

I don't know. Maybe it was worth a try. Those ink marks didn't look all that much better than this, really.

Time to lose those toploaders, I think. They seem to be causing more problems than they're preventing -- with the smudges on the Wooden, Guey and this one. Not to mention the Monte Irvin fiasco.

@#$%&^*!!!

• Options
    Couple tiny smudges on this one, too. Think I'll leave 'em.

• Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    I know what you mean, Bryon. That's exactly why I quit using top loaders as well. Cardboard is no guarantee either, because a lot of times the players throw it away and don't send it back to protect the card in the return mail. It's always a crap shoot.
    Looks like Thome is in a good mood this spring!
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    I went to Tiger fest in Lakeland today and got three Tigers in person. The 4th came in the mail.
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    Looks like spring training has been kind to everyone. I'll be going to Phoenix to see the A's in March. This thread has convinced me to bring some Topps Heritage just in case...
  • Options

Diggin' the mailman today. It's such a thrill after 5 months or so of having these just trickle in at one or two a week, if even that often, to finally have the faucet wide open.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

And nary a smudge. Bonus.
  • Options
    Man, I'm so jealous! I got shut out today on A&G's...
  • Options

What's up with all the White Sox? Of the 19 cards I've gotten back from spring training so far, 5 have been from the south-siders.

imageimage
  • Options
    How did you get the Brooks (any money needed) and Sizemore TTM?

Nice work and as many have said....love the thread
  • Options

<< <i>How did you get the Brooks (any money needed) and Sizemore TTM?

Nice work and as many have said....love the thread >>

Thanks. Robinson signs cards TTM for $20. Here's a link to his Web site that lists all his various signing fees. (Warning: the Web site automatically launches into an obnoxious synthesized rendition of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame".)

Actually, that's probably my least favorite card of the set. It's just not a very good shot of Robinson at all. And though I'm happy to have his autograph, the signature seems awkward on the card as well.

Sizemore was just one of the spring training returns -- through the mail care of the Indians at:

Chain of Lakes Park
    500 Cletus Allen Dr.
    Winter Haven, FL 33880

• Options
    Nice cards Bryon.
    I got nothing in the mail again today - two days in a row... image
  • Options

<< <i>I got nothing in the mail again today - two days in a row... image >>

All the more likely you'll have a monster day tomorrow. image
  • Options
    Awesome thread. I don't recall seeing any Cincinnati Reds cards signed on here though. Does anybody have their spring training address, and is it even worth attempting to get Griffey?

Mike
  • Options

From what I understand, Griffey signs through the mail next to never -- at best. Of course, I sent to him anyway at spring training:

c/o Cincinnati Reds
    Ed Smith Stadium
    2700 12th St.
    Sarasota, FL 34237

By the way, all the teams' spring training addresses can be found through their Web sites.
  • Options

<< <i>Awesome thread. I don't recall seeing any Cincinnati Reds cards signed on here though. Does anybody have their spring training address, and is it even worth attempting to get Griffey?

Mike >>

• Options

Here's one where the image and the signature go very well together, I think. I like how they combine to form a kind of triangle.

• Options
    Beautiful auto Bryon!
    I only got one today. that's a grand total of one card in three days...image
  • Options

Fortunately for me (and not so fortunately for Munson15), DeJesus spelled Bryon correctly -- with an "o".

imageimage
  • Options
    Curses, foiled again!!!!!!
    On the Yankee Bandwagon since April 22nd, 1979 (my first game).
    ______
    Collecting all Yankees especially:
    Thurman Munson, Yogi Berra, Melky Cabrera!

For my son:
    Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada

MY Baseball Card Page
    My Player Collection Needs
  • Options

Three of these guys sent their cards back without the toploaders I included. Apparently, they already knew what I've had to learn the hard way. And not so much as a dinged corner on any of the cards.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

Happy to get the Nady in particular. In December, I sent the card to an address I found for a Xavier Nady in California. I figured, how many Xavier Nady's could there be? Turned out to be his father. I received it back about a week later with a nice note from Xavier Sr. explaining that Xavier Jr. doesn't live there and that I should try him care of the Pirates. Good advice, it turns out.

imageimage
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

Are those from Spring Training?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Those are great! Maybe I will start a collection.

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options

<< <i>Are those from Spring Training? >>

Yep. Just about everything I'm getting now is coming from Spring Training. And I am loving Spring Training.

• Options
    Are you mailing to spring training or in-person?
  • Options
    Finally a few new ones for me. I was getting paranoid. I belive Bryon has already posted autos from these guys, but what the heck; they're new for me:
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Are those from Spring Training? >>

Yep. Just about everything I'm getting now is coming from Spring Training. And I am loving Spring Training. >>

Spring Training has been very good to you image

Keep up the great work image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Are you mailing to spring training or in-person? >>

Mailing.

BUT... I was just thinking about this yesterday. By this time next year, I'll probably have largely exhausted the usefulness of through-the-mail requests toward completion of the set, and I'm not real sure I'll even be at 50 percent at that point. So, a road trip to Florida next February may be in order.

Then, again... maybe not.

"Hey, Honey. I'm going down to Florida for Spring Training... see if I can get a few more autographs. Back in a week or two."

Yeah, that'll go over.

Edited to add: Nice returns, Jim! Good to see that your postal carrier is back on the job.
  • Options

Also got Griffey back today... unsigned, of course. Maybe the third time will be the charm.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    Did y'all pay Killebrew's few or did he sign for free? Great collection guys...

- Joe
  • Options
    We should send the White Sox a plaque or something for being so outstanding at signing through the mail this year.

Killebrew charges for his autograpgh, but it goes to a local hospital.
  • Options

Had to whistle when I unwrapped this one today...

The signing fee was steep, though. OK, it was what-the-#$%&!-am-I-doing steep. But, I sold off a few other items of equal $ value to make it at least seem more like a trade than an expense -- and I'm happy with the "trade", really. I figure his fee isn't likely to go down anytime soon, and... well... gotta have him.
  • Options
    Very nice, as always image
  • Options
    looks like he used a autopen!

just kidding....lol! LOOKS AWESOME!!
  • Options
    Very nice indeed.
  • Options
    This thread keeps getting better and better

Nice work!!
  • Options
    OH MY!! That Ripken looks awesome!! My new ones today:
  • Options

Nice returns there, Jim. I love Vazquez' sig.

Pleased as punch to get Maz today.

imageimage
    imageimage

And I always really appreciate it when someone takes the time to sign a card I send them, especially for free, but, in fun, I have to give the Worst-Looking-Signature-So-Far Award to Kendall. I thought Zito would be tough to beat, but Kendall's got him, I think. Looks like he used a paintbrush. I have a ton of respect for Kendall, though. After seeing his foot more or less fall off at first base whatever year that was, I thought his career was surely over.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    How did you get the Maz? I never seen him sign TTM for free.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options

<< <i>How did you get the Maz? I never seen him sign TTM for free. >>

It wasn't free. I sent along some cash to donate to the charity of his choice.
  • Options
    Elemenopeo, how are you displaying this set for your personal collection? I love seeing all your additions but I wish I had a virtual binder to just flip through the pages.

Great job and keep it up. You're not just doing this for yourself anymore. You're doing it for a lot of us on here so don't F it up. image

Arthur
  • Options
    Arthur -- I'll see what I can do about the "virtual binder" thing. That could be kind of cool, I suppose.

As to storing these, I'm just keeping them in the usual plastic pages in a binder where I keep the entire 350-card set. I just replace the unsigned cards with the signed cards as they come in. I'm beginning to wonder, though, if that's not a such a great way to preserve them over the long haul. I may check into that, too. Because after all the time, effort and $ I've poured into this, believe me, I've no intention of F'ing it up. image
  • Options
    Your having a heck of a week with this set Bryon!
  • Options

I think his middle name is Danger. Yeah, baby!

• Options

<< <i>Arthur -- I'll see what I can do about the "virtual binder" thing. That could be kind of cool, I suppose. >>

You can create a photobucket account that's devoted to this project. I did it with my '55 TAAs (see sig)...

PS - Yeah, you best not F this up or else you'll have some explaining to do image
  • Options

Stown -- Thanks for the suggestion. I'll either go with that (Photobucket) or something called JAlbum -- which looks pretty sweet and easy to use, too. I should have something together by tonight or tomorrow.

Couple new arrivals today...

imageimage
  • Options

These three put me at 25%...

imageimage

And I'm real close on the virtual album thing. Just one or two details to work out.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on all your pickups guys - I've enjoyed looking at all the auto cards posted.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Great thread Bryon! Really enjoyed reading it.

I've been working on a 2004 Cracker Jack set for awhile. Nice to see someone else with similar success so far.

I'm a graphic artist - let me know if you want help superimposing some of those autos over the cards... we could probably make them look pretty good. Could at least fill some holes where the person is no longer "available" for signing...
  • Options

crbatt -- Thanks. I'll keep your offer in mind whenever I return my attention to the departed. And, by the way, welcome to the CU boards!

New today: a couple of the guys still among the living and kind enough to sign my cards...

imageimage