Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2007 Allen and Ginter

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the welcome, Jim!

Oh, and as per our conversation about the blacks existing in both #'d and nno version for the same guy... I spoke to the gentleman today who had a list marked off as him having a # and NNO version of 5 different cards. He told me that he made a mistake and he actually does NOT have both versions of the same guy on any of the 5, thus, it does appear that they do not exist in both forms for the same player.

Bill
    kshorton says: i gots an Empire State Building card... seeking advice.. is this better and worth more than my psa 3 franco harris 1973 topps card which i defouled by trying to make a baby with ? Please advise. the franco card is graded.. the ESB card is not yet, and I do not want to have a baby with the ESB card.
  • Options
    Hey Jim,

Guess what came in my mail today? Here's a hint - it's a duplicate for my black set but not yours and the card is #245 Penny. Can you guess what it is? Doesn't really matter... it's in your package anyway image

<< <i>As an Indiana "Yankee" I'd have to say WT Sherman was an even greater hero.

Anyhow, here is yet another plea for help:

Black minis ( 6 )
    84 Blake
    245 Penny
    318 Gomes
    326 Rios
    327 Toles
    334 Gu Molina

A&G Back minis (14 )
    63 B. Molina
    107 Varitek
    142 Orlando Hudson
    152 Carlos Lee
    193 Rich Hill
    194 Francisco Cordero
    278 Julio Juarez
    304 Ramon Hernandez
    309 Laila Ali
    319 Ken Jennings
    336 Treanor
    345 Sosa
    349 Litsch
    350 LaRoche >>

kshorton says: i gots an Empire State Building card... seeking advice.. is this better and worth more than my psa 3 franco harris 1973 topps card which i defouled by trying to make a baby with ? Please advise. the franco card is graded.. the ESB card is not yet, and I do not want to have a baby with the ESB card.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Has anyone taken the dive and started collecting the 06 set? That was a great set!

Kevin
  • Options
    Hey guys. Hopefully there are still people trading. Figured I would put my list up and see what I can get. So here goes. SPs are in ():

What I Need:
    Regular size base cards: 20, 221, (303)
    Emperors: E1, E4, E5, E7, E10
    Flags (I need a lot): Algeria, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Columbi, Costa Rica, Denmark, Egypt, Germany, Greece, Greenland, Honduras, Iceland, Indonesia, Italy, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Mexico, Morocco, Netherlands, Nigeria, Norway, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russian Federation, Spain, United Arab Emirates, USA
    National Pride: NP2, NP3, NP5-10

What I Have to Trade:
    Base and Perez: a lot
    Regular minis: 17, 38, 41, 84, 108, 133, 145, 153, 174, 195, 201, 211, 235, 237, 245, 248, 253, (263), 271, (301), 312, (318), (348)
    A&G minis:4, (43), 59, 64, 72, 85, 90, 93, 116, 131, 151, 171, 199, 257, 346
    Black minis w/#: 21, 81, 92, 225, 230
    Black minis No #: Carlos Lee (152 SP), Brandon Webb (250), Bobby Abreu (275)
    White No # mini: Jim Edmonds (263)
    ARod: 252(x2), 254, 272
    Flag: Switzerland
    Relics: Curt Schilling, Stephen Drew, Rich Harden, Corey Patterson (Bat)
    Auto: Howie Kendrick

I also have a black mamba that I'm not sure if I want to keep and try for the set or to trade for other stuff I need. Can someone tell me what the snakes have been trading for? Thanks everybody.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Speaking of the '06 set. I would like to aquire one in the future. Can anyone tell me what they have been going for?

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    Snakes are roughly $20 give or take a couple bucks.... expect to have to trade lopsided though, since they fall 1-per-case. For comparison, flags and common A&G or black backs will get you $1-$2 in value. Emperors are about twice that.

Supplies of snakes on eBay are drying up, it seems to me. I got my first snake off of there at the end of August for about 12 bucks. Just spent $19 to get the last one I needed, a black mamba. I'm glad the Thomas bazooka back I sold more than covered my remaining snake purchases. Still not sure whether snakes are under or over-valued...
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options

<< <i>Snakes are roughly $20 give or take a couple bucks.... expect to have to trade lopsided though, since they fall 1-per-case. For comparison, flags and common A&G or black backs will get you $1-$2 in value. Emperors are about twice that.

Supplies of snakes on eBay are drying up, it seems to me. I got my first snake off of there at the end of August for about 12 bucks. Just spent $19 to get the last one I needed, a black mamba. I'm glad the Thomas bazooka back I sold more than covered my remaining snake purchases. Still not sure whether snakes are under or over-valued... >>

Thanks mosaic. All right guys. The snake is officially on the trading block. Feel free to make me an offer.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    If anybody is interested, I do have an extra '06 set that I was going to put up on EBay. If somebody wants to research what they go for, I'll undercut it a bit.

Also, not sure how many people have '06 dups laying around, but I underloaded 3 Randy Couture cards for $15 per. Same guy (I think a couple of other people are interested) are buying them all up. Just a tip. Not something I would have thought of.

Kurt
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    wow!!! Are those bids for couture for real???

Thats crazzzzy!!
  • Options
    Tom,

Already paid for. I know, I don't really understand it, but I'll take it.

Kurt
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kurt - The base size card, or a mini?
  • Options
    Wow, look at the completed auctions for Couture A&Gs... the prices seem to be the same regardless of type (regular, mini, A&G back, etc).

There's a PSA 10 regular size up there with a $50 bid... jeez.
  • Options
    I just pulled 9 Coutures from my A&G stack. Is it worth getting them graded or should I blow them out at 15 a pop?

Kevin
  • Options
    Randy,

4 of those auctions were mine. Didn't seem to matter which one it is. I just sent Kevin a PM and told him that folks are getting a bit greedy and listing them for BIN $25. Don't know how long this can keep up. Edit: Ooops, sorry, Nick, didn't mean to single you out. Hope you are able to sell it for that.

Kurt
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    Did you not see the "or best offer" sign? lol I'll take $15 as a best offer, im just giving someone the opportunity to offer more.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    I sold a Couture auto for $227 about a month ago to theinsider08402 - his feedback pretty much speaks for itself.
  • Options
    Guess I will jump on the eBay Couture bandwagon too. I could use some funds to feed my A&G habit anyway.
  • Options
    Hey Guys....I'm new to the site and a little late to the A&G game. I'm still a few base cards short of the regular set, what is the best way to trade here?
  • Options
    Post your list and let us know what you have to trade. I am still looking for quite a bit myself. Welcome!

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Bill, thanks for the consideration! Your package went out yesterday. Let me know if you need some more blacks, I've accumulated a bunch of spares. Only one sp - 317 bourne. If anyone needs a copy of the letter I sent to topps, feel free to email me at parkerj@twcny.rr.com.

- jim
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭
    I just listed my Laila Ali Autograph on ebay and it lasted 32 mintues at a buy it now of $120. Not too shabby.
  • Options
    Still looking to fill out my base set...Here are my needs:
    1,5,11,24,48,55,63,79,87,88,107,133,155,163,171,175,189,200,213,219,222,244,257,261,264,269,287,288,302,316,322,326,327,335,336,340,343,345,349
    Dick Perez - 28

Available to trade:
    All Dick Perez (except 28)
    Multiple minis - let me know what you need and I can search what I have available.
    Black minis - 161, 18, 35, 151, 38, 106, 192, 123, 38
    I also have a handful of flags available
  • Options
    gujai

You need to open your PM - seems like you have a lot less options than most. Where's your light bulb, glasses and lock? Hard to make deals through email and CU has an excellent PM system.
  • Options
    His lock is there... I just sent him a PM.

But, yeah, gujai, check your PMs *grin*
  • Options
    Yeah, I see them now - message so long that my screen only shows the arrowed paper and open envelope. PM will be on way gujai - don't do any deals before you check out my offer because today only I will throw in a kitten on every deal made. Being from Virginia, after M Vick episode shouldn't have put it that way. Way OT, but has it made national news that Vick's dog investigation has led to a hit style murder investigation?
  • Options
    Nick, Frank & Kevin, if you guys get hits, I want a finder's feeimage

Just a side note about this kind of crap, you can see the fingernail marks on the top left of the pack he's offering!!!!!!!!!

A Hole
    IWTDMBII
  • Options

<< <i>Just a side note about this kind of crap, you can see the fingernail marks on the top left of the pack he's offering!!!!!!!!!

A Hole >>

Wow, and he has 20 of them... wonder if he bought a retail case and cherry picked the whole thing.
  • Options
    Wow....

Umm... wow...

The Couture guy (theinsider08402) just bought both of my Couture auctions for the BIN price. They were only live for 3 hours!

I think I set the BINs too low ($20 for 2 base, $20 for a mini).
  • Options
    OK, so here's my ethical dilemma.

Um, Wow

I don't think I was shy announcing that I purchased one of these originals. The link is some serious. I bought mine for over a third less than this. Basically, I gave the intermediary a price that I THOUGHT was about $50-$75 under market rate. The seller said fine and that was that. I certainly hadn't thought about selling, but this does make me pause. I'm afraid I would be in deep poo (although the seller might never know) if I low-balled somebody this bad (even though I don't know the original owner).

Thoughts?

Kurt
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    You bought yours. The seller got paid and was happy with the price. If the market tilts up, you have every right to sell and reap the rewards.

Let me put it this way... would you be so contemplative if it were a year later instead of a month? Probably not.

And the market for Dick Perez 1/1's is volatile anyway. You know the Daisuke 1/1 could fetch 2 grand easy. Raul Ibanez has his fans, especially in Seattle, where he's had a good year this year and contributed to many of their summertime wins.

There are worse things to hem and haw about... but I will say this, you definitely have to appreciate your 1/1 prize since you got it relatively cheap *grin*

Besides, what would Randy Couture do?
  • Options
    The original sketch cards are the creme de la creme of Allen and Ginter. We saw the HUGE amounts these went for last year, and this
    year is no exception. Normally Kurt, I would say you did low ball him, but you didn't know, so there was no way you can be at fault.

I've learned many things from this hobby, but one is thing is for certain. If I pull a 1/1, the last thing Im going to do is sell it without
    any research. If you are a seller, you have to protect yourself and know your history. I got 375 bucks for my Varitek 1/1...that is more
    than the Howard and more than the Wright....was it worth that much....probably not, but to one guy it was, and by me having a
    huge BIN and a best offer feature, I put myself in a good position.

Let us all be the more wiser!

Kevin
  • Options
    Do we ask who you bought? Was it a 2006 or 2007 ?
  • Options
    Willing seller and willing buyer. What's the problem? Must say that is a pretty neat looking hobo card you got.
  • Options
    As one of my friend puts it..."nice convict mugshot"

From this year's set

IWTDMBII
  • Options
    GREAT CARD!
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    yes, a great card!!
  • Options
    I fail to see how anyone can lowball someone on a card like these 1/1 sketches. The market is what it is for each player and the selling price differentials are going to be drastic. The Ibanez buyer might not even be a baseball fan, but rather a collector of sports art or art in more general. Who knows. I don't know what you paid for the Edmods, Kurt, but my immediate guess would besomewhere around $250-300 (how close am I out of curiosity? image).

If you were happy with the price at the time, great, and if you got it with a B/O, then the seller probably wasn't getting any offers that were better than yours anyway.

I *THINK* Reyes sold for $250 and a week later, the buyer had it listed as his own with a $1,000 BIN/BO, so such is life. I don't know what he actually ended up getting for it though.

I also know that last year, I personally pulled the Vernon Wells Sketch Card from a Ted Williams Rip Card and thought it was gonna sell for about what the Ibanez did, but it ended for something like $341 at auction on eBay. The buyer was a sports art collector and didn't even really know who Vernon Wells was, but just wanted the piece for her art collection. Funny.

Anyway, if you want to move the Edmonds, that your business and you shouldn't feel guilty or bad about it at all.

As for the cards, I think they are aweful looking for the most part. There are a couple that look decent, but the sketches overall are pretty darn bad in my book!

Bill
  • Options
    Bill: My guess on the price of the Edmonds hobo card is $150 with a lowball of $50-$75. Less than a third of the price of the Ibanez card which went for $504.99.

Kurt: The price you got the card for was not the highest you would have gone on the card was it? In most of my negotiations for higher priced items, I start out lower than what I'm willing to pay and the seller starts out higher than what he'll take. In the rare instances when a seller takes my lowball offer, the seller being a poor negotiator doesn't make me feel bad or like I've cheated him. I might shake my head in amazement though. You got the card fairly and anything you do with the card now is your business and has nothing to do with any prior negotiations.
  • Options

<< <i>Bill: My guess on the price of the Edmonds hobo card is $150 with a lowball of $50-$75. Less than a third of the price of the Ibanez card which went for $504.99.

Kurt: The price you got the card for was not the highest you would have gone on the card was it? In most of my negotiations for higher priced items, I start out lower than what I'm willing to pay and the seller starts out higher than what he'll take. In the rare instances when a seller takes my lowball offer, the seller being a poor negotiator doesn't make me feel bad or like I've cheated him. I might shake my head in amazement though. You got the card fairly and anything you do with the card now is your business and has nothing to do with any prior negotiations. >>

I would gladly pay $150 for the Edmonds card. I know it's ugly but that seems like a fairly low price for a hand drawn 1/1. Maybe I'm missing something but I think it would be worth more than that. Of course I am a Cardinals fan (I don't like Edmonds all that much though) and may be a little bit biased.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    my guess...on ebay that would fetch between $500-$700
    There are many edmonds collectors out there

• Options
    I want to thank Kurt for the tip on Couture. I just sold a lot of 9 for 130.00. Its nice to make that kind of money on
    cards just sitting in a box.

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>I want to thank Kurt for the tip on Couture. I just sold a lot of 9 for 130.00. Its nice to make that kind of money on
    cards just sitting in a box.

Kevin >>

I 2nd that....THANK YOU Kurt.

Kevin...hows that trade for no#'s look?

thnx tom
  • Options
    mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    I think Kurt said a third "less", not a third "of" the Ibanez so I'm guessing around $300 is accurate. Either way it's his card now so he should do what he wants, which is what it looks like we all agree on. Go ahead and sell that sucker.
  • Options
    No, it was a third of. Thanks for everybody's input. I suppose the key now is if I do want to sell it. I had originally purchased it because I thought it was one of the modern A&G jewels and a nice piece of art to boot to have as part of a set that got me back in the hobby after a very long lay off (well, that and Heritage). Randy is correct, worse things to kvetch about. Maybe a crazy BIN which could help my decision one way or the other.
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    So, any guesses as to why one guy is buying up Couture commons?

My theory is he's a dealer that has a signing coming up soon. Buying up cards at 10-20 bucks a pop ain't nothin if you can just as easily triple or quadruple your money with them...

Or maybe he's a friend of Couture's, or Couture himself, trying to corner the market. If so, he's done a great job. He's cleaned out the Beckett Marketplace and paid for our dinners this weekend.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    dont' know if anyone still needs a no number Gary Hall Jr black border but I just listed one on ebay....some other cards with it...testing to see if any interest on the bay.......link to hall card
  • Options
    Is there anyone else still trading? If you are still looking for cards can you please update your trade lists. I would really like to try to help you guys (and try to finish my own set) but am not sure if anyone is still trading. This is my updated list:

What I Need:
    Regular size base cards: 20, 221, (303)
    Emperors: E1, E4, E5, E7
    Flags (I need a lot): Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, China, Columbi, Costa Rica, Denmark, Egypt, Germany, Greece, Greenland, Iceland, Indonesia, Italy, Kenya, Mexico, Morocco, Netherlands, Nigeria, Norway, Panama, Philippines, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russian Federation, Spain, United Arab Emirates, USA
    National Pride: NP2, NP3, NP5-10

What I Have to Trade:
    Base and Perez: a lot
    Regular minis: 17, 38, 41, 84, 108, 133, 145, 153, 174, 195, 201, 211, 235, 237, 245, 248, 253, (263), 271, (301), 312, (318), (348)
    A&G minis:4, (43), 59, 64, 72, 85, 90, 93, 116, 131, 151, 171, 199, 257, 346
    Black minis w/#: 21, 81, 92, 225, 230
    Black minis No #: Carlos Lee (152 SP), Bobby Abreu (275)
    ARod: 252(x2), 254, 272
    Flag: Switzerland
    Relics: Curt Schilling, Stephen Drew, Rich Harden, Corey Patterson (Bat)
    Auto: Howie Kendrick

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Al

The black bordered cards are either numbered or not numbered, there's no variations. In other words, there is not a numbered Gary Hall common only a no-numbered version. You'll be real lucky to get anyone to jump at that 9.99 price. Unless of course, they don't know the difference either image
  • Options
    But the Hall card is one of the SP no number cards. Pulled at a rate of 1:130 packs, so not an easy pull at all.
  • Options
    Hi Al,

I'd be interested in the Hall Black NNO SP and the Cashman relic if you would consider trading them.I can use both in my sets. However, I have to agree with some others that the asking price is kinda high.

I'd be willing to go $4 on it and that's only if it included the Cashman in some sort of deal so I didn't have to drop another $3 in shipping for it.

They've moved on the bay for $.99 cents, but with shipping, you're still looking at about spending $4 for it so this is why I offer the $4.

Again, I'd really like to get the cashman too though. LMK if you think we could work out a deal. Here is a link to my photobucket if you'd like to see if anything there interests you. Be advised, MUCH of it is long gone, but some still is sitting here.
    http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g274/wem1472/

Bill