Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2007 Allen and Ginter

What will be the story with this? Release at the end of July. Will it be as nearly as hot as last year? I don't think I can afford to collect it but am considering prebuying a bunch and then reselling when it comes out. If prices are like this year's Heritage though I don't stand to make much. Will this be the product of the year again?
Trying to complete:
2000 Bowman Chrome
2002 Topps Heritage NAP
2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football

Comments

• Options
    LWMMLWMM Posts: 471
    It looks better than last year---the same things that made it awesome (design, autograph selection, etc.), plus other improvements and additions (more non sport 'relics', numbered no# cards, etc.)

How awesome would it be to get all four players to sign the Japan cabinet card?

Sell Sheet
    Edit: Just found a Checklist

Breakdown:
    New! 2007 Topps Allen & Ginter Baseball
    Allen & Ginter Baseball Cards first debuted in 1887 and quickly became the most popularly collected cards of the time. They honored champions from around the world, including boxers, wrestlers, and, of course, baseball players. Today, Topps again continues the tradition of honoring the nation’s greatest competitors, with

2007 Topps Allen & Ginter Baseball!
    Configuration: 12 boxes per case/24 packs per box/8 cards per pack*
    Each pack contains six (6) Allen & Ginter Baseball cards, Plus 1 Mini Parallel Plus 1 Dick Perez card!

SRP: $4.00

Releasing Wednesday July 25th, 2007

exciting features include:

HOBBY EXCLUSIVE Rip Cards! 1 Per Case!
    TWO Autograph, Relic, Printing Plate, Allen & Ginter Original, and/or Rip Cards Per Box!
    Unique Cards celebrating the original Allen & Ginter, with Champions from throughout the World, including Bruce Lee, Joe Frazier, Laila Ali, Greg Louganis and Freddy Adu!
    NEW! Allen & Ginter Mini Flag Cards from Around the World!
    HOBBY EXCLUSIVE Box Loader – Including Allen & Ginter N43s, N43 Relics, N43 Autographs and National Pride Cabinet Box Loaders!

BASE CARDS

Baseball Veterans
    Baseball Rookies
    Historic Figures
    World Champions 350 subjects
    274 subjects
    31 subjects
    25 subjects
    20 subjects 6 PER PACK!

HOBBY EXCLUSIVE RIP CARDS

Collectible Rip Card Exteriors
    Rip Card Interiors
    1 of 1 Dick Perez Original Sketches
    Allen & Ginter Red Autographs
    Allen & Ginter Mini Exclusives
    Allen & Ginter Mini Wood Exclusives 50 subjects
    50 subjects
    140 subjects
    30 subjects
    30 subjects
    40 subjects
    40 subjects 1 PER CASE! All Sequentially Numbered*no higher than 199!

Each is a one of one!
    Hand numbered to 10!

Each is a one of one!
    INSERT CARDS
    Allen & Ginter Mini Flags
    Dick Perez Sketch Cards 80 subjects
    50 subjects
    30 subjects AT LEAST 1 PER PACK!

1 Per Pack!
    CUT SIGNATURES
    Cut Signatures 10 subjects
    10 subjects EACH IS A ONE OF ONE!
    Each is a one of one!
    FRAMED AUTOGRAPHED CARDS
    Allen & Ginter Superstar Autographs
    Allen & Ginter Baseball Autographs 60 subjects
    30 subjects
    30 subjects
    FRAMED RELIC CARDS
    Allen & Ginter Relics 60 subjects
    60 subjects
    FRAMED ORIGINAL CARDS
    Allen & Ginter Originals 100 subjects
    100 subjects REPURCHASED ORIGINAL ALLEN & GINTER CARDS!
    FRAMED MINI PRINTING PLATES
    Allen & Ginter Mini Parallel Printing Plates
    Allen & Ginter Extra Minis Printing Plates 1,560 total plates
    350 subjects
    40 subjects EACH IS A ONE OF ONE!
    MINI PARALLEL CARDS
    Allen & Ginter Wood Card Parallel
    Bazooka Back Parallel
    Allen & Ginter No Number
    Allen & Ginter Black-Bordered Parallel
    Allen & Ginter Back Parallel
    Allen & Ginter Parallel 2,100 variations
    350 subjects
    350 subjects
    350 subjects
    350 subjects
    350 subjects
    350 subjects All are original 1 15/32” x 2 11/16” size!
    Each is a one of one!
    Sequentially numbered^ to 25!
    Limited to 50!
    Inserted 1:10 packs!
    Inserted 1:5 packs!
    1 Per Pack!
    HOBBY EXCLUSIVE BOX LOADER
    Allen & Ginter N43s
    Allen & Ginter N43 Relics
    Allen & Ginter N43 Baseball Autographs
    Allen & Ginter N43 Westminster Champion Autograph
    National Pride Cabinet Box Loader 39 subjects
    15 subjects
    10 subjects
    3 subjects
    1 subject

10 subjects ONE PER BOX!

Sequentially numbered* to 25!
    Hand Numbered to 10!
    Looking for Jonny Gomes cards, especially Triple Threads and printing plates. Will consider all cards, though. Got something? Contact me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    DNA relics!??!?!
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Wow, my hobby budget is gonna get blasted!

Thanks
    Mike
    Reds Team Set Collector (Raw)
    Pete Rose PSA Basic Set
    Johnny Bench PSA Basic Set
  • Options
    Thanks, now all my Heritage on my desk has Drool damage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    On the Yankee Bandwagon since April 22nd, 1979 (my first game).
    ______
    Collecting all Yankees especially:
    Thurman Munson, Yogi Berra, Melky Cabrera!

For my son:
    Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada

MY Baseball Card Page
    My Player Collection Needs
  • Options
    LWMMLWMM Posts: 471
    No problem. Just added a checklist.
    Looking for Jonny Gomes cards, especially Triple Threads and printing plates. Will consider all cards, though. Got something? Contact me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Dear God. Keep that crank away from me.

A strand of George Washington's hair? What the...?

• Options
    TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    Dang......I'm thinking of dropping some serious dough on about 6 cases......I am just afraid I will want to starting collecting it!
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
  • Options

<< <i>DNA relics!??!?! >>

The Sell Sheet shows a strand of hair from Geo Washington!!!

Looked kinda curly to me...imageimageimage
    << image >>
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    animal autographs!!! hahaha no thanks
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Bryon,

You aren't kidding about the crank comment. I can't wait, dog prints and all.

KUrt
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Holy Mother of God, this product looks flawless. I didn't think they could top this year, but that lineup is amazing. Throw in
    tough inserts of Dice K and a nice rookie line-up and this is a sure winner. The only question is....how will the checklist that
    actually shows up in the product compare to this one? Topps has been known to change and leave some biggies out. Heck
    even with the non=sports autos, the checklist is stacked.

THIS is going to get crazy!

Kevin
  • Options
    Hubba Hubba! I sure am glad I bought this last week. I got a late start with the Heritage. We'll break plenty of A&G to help with any of the sets, as long as it can be done quickly. I really want the Washington.
  • Options

<< <i>DNA relics!??!?! >>

I thought you were kidding. Whoa !!! Crazy, but sounds fun.

Dog Prints !!! Ok, sure. And I thought the GU dirt was the topper.

LOVE the mini flags.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    The Bruce Lee card alone sold me.......
  • Options
    where's the best place to pre-order a case?
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    I'm getting mine from Jack Lockwood. Ebay ID lockwood108. Great to order from. Have done a few thousand dollars with him and he always comes through.

Edit to say: He has retail and blaster cases.

Question since I'm not collecting this set. Would it be easy to turn a profit reselling retail boxes/cases if I get a good deal on them to buy?
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
  • Options
    Looking at the checklist, where are the historical figures and others??????

Last year they were in the 300's now I do not see them?!?!?!?!?!?
    ______

For my son:

MY Baseball Card Page
  • Options
    If you order retail - I assume your missing out on Rip cards etc?
  • Options

<< <i>If you order retail - I assume your missing out on Rip cards etc? >>

You can buy one heck of a Rip Card for $600. That's about the difference in case price. Hobby $100 per box, Retail about $50.
  • Options
    TZ,

You think I could contact Jack Lockwood (I don't think I saw anything for pre-sell on his Ebay site) and ask about Retail cases? Do you have a contact number? PM?

Kurt
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    stormsurgestormsurge Posts: 858 ✭✭
    Kurt, I emailed him through Ebay and he was very responsive.
  • Options
    stormsurgestormsurge Posts: 858 ✭✭
    Here are the differences from retail and hobby from what I can tell:

1. HOBBY EXCLUSIVE Rip Cards! 1 Per Case!

2. HOBBY EXCLUSIVE Box Loader – Including Allen & Ginter N43s, N43 Relics, N43 Autographs and National Pride Cabinet Box Loaders! (this inlcudes doggie print cards lol)

3. 8 box case vs. 12 for hobby

4. mini printing plates only in hobby (do these come in rips?)

So it looks like if you not chasing the rarer cards then retail is the way to go for sure.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rip cards sound like fun, but retail seems like the way to go.
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a lot of my heritage pals are jumping on this set - munson, stalin, tzahl, nam812. I enjoyed trading heritage with you guys this year and I look forward to more fun with Allen & Ginter. I'm in for 2007, and also thinking of backfilling from 2006 (i missed it last year). Drop me a pm if you want to do some trades.

good luck!

Edited to add: I have lots of heritage from 2001-2007, and would like to trade for any 2006 A&G (I have none right now, but would like to build base + sp's + mini + black mini).
  • Options
    Jim,

Welcome to the fold. I enjoy this set better than Heritage because of the cost. Last year it was easier to build this set as it has fewer SP's. But offers the challenge as heritage does in that you had base+SP AND MINI Base + Mini SP so there was something for the serious set builder.

I like the look and they look AWESOME if you do Autos TTM. I got a Mussina back last week that looks Fantastic.....

Be seeing you on the trading post...
    bryans

munson15
    ______

For my son:

MY Baseball Card Page
  • Options
    Jim,

Let me know via PM if you are interested in the complete full set (big cards). I have an extra one, if that's the way you are going.

Kurt
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    We'll be breaking 80 Retail Cases. I'll let you folks know the night it happens. We won't list any singles for a week, if anyone wants to swap singles for sets. I need to cut down on labor and shipping cost, and maybe ya'll won't have to spend a month making your sets.
  • Options
    Oh man, Im having 2006 flashbacks...this stuff was easily the funnest stuff to rip. I mean usually when you hit the GU
    or auto the fun is over, but each pack has the chance of being a huge hit due to the mini variations...which I can
    tell you were hot hot hot.

The rip cards early on were MAJOR sellers....I pulled Pujols numbered to 99 and sold it for 250. I would suggest the hobby for
    anyone looking for high end hits. The differences are much more compared to heritage.

Ill try to get some pics up in case anyone is having doubts!

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>Oh man, Im having 2006 flashbacks...this stuff was easily the funnest stuff to rip. I mean usually when you hit the GU
    or auto the fun is over, but each pack has the chance of being a huge hit due to the mini variations...which I can
    tell you were hot hot hot.

The rip cards early on were MAJOR sellers....I pulled Pujols numbered to 99 and sold it for 250. I would suggest the hobby for
    anyone looking for high end hits. The differences are much more compared to heritage.

Ill try to get some pics up in case anyone is having doubts!

Kevin >>

Kevin, I must disagree about the Hobby vs. Retail option. Retail today is running $59 less per box, there just aren't the "Hits" in Hobby that justify the difference. Just my opinion, but like most things you make your money when you buy, not sell.
  • Options
    There should be no reason why retail is 60 bucks cheaper except that greedy dealers and distributors are looking to get
    rich on this stuff once again. Blowout cards is famous for this. Don't get burned.

I guess its depends on how much you like the rip cards. They were hot last year and you actually felt like part of an elite
    few when you pull one. The cards that could be inside are amazing.

I would caution anyone against buying a lot of wax if you were only interested in the base plus mini set. You can pick up a base
    set with sp's for little and I can assure you that nothing less than 5 cases will get you close to the mini set. You must depend
    on others.

I think if you can close the 60 dollar gap that hobby is still the way to go. All you have to do is hit on Arod or Bonds auto to
    pay for the case. Rip card is almost a guarenteed 100 bucks. I saw some of the rare /10 ones going for 300+. Of course
    the autos were the hottest thing out of this set and have still no cooled off. There is just so much working for this product,
    if you are going to ignore cost on anything this might be it!

Kevin
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I started the 2006 late and I am still trying to finish the set off. This year will be different as I plan to be right in the middle of the mix. I am going to order 2 retail cases and will probably pick up a few hobby boxes here and there.

Is the trading for A&G as active as Heritage?

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Bigslick,

What do you mean by swapping singles for sets?

Kurt
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    Heritage has blown up here. There is no bigger collection of heritage guys that I know of. I think A&G has the potential to
    do the same.

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>There should be no reason why retail is 60 bucks cheaper except that greedy dealers and distributors are looking to get
    rich on this stuff once again. Blowout cards is famous for this. Don't get burned.

I guess its depends on how much you like the rip cards. They were hot last year and you actually felt like part of an elite
    few when you pull one. The cards that could be inside are amazing.

I would caution anyone against buying a lot of wax if you were only interested in the base plus mini set. You can pick up a base
    set with sp's for little and I can assure you that nothing less than 5 cases will get you close to the mini set. You must depend
    on others.

I think if you can close the 60 dollar gap that hobby is still the way to go. All you have to do is hit on Arod or Bonds auto to
    pay for the case. Rip card is almost a guarenteed 100 bucks. I saw some of the rare /10 ones going for 300+. Of course
    the autos were the hottest thing out of this set and have still no cooled off. There is just so much working for this product,
    if you are going to ignore cost on anything this might be it!

Kevin >>

I guess it depends upon what your looking to pull. My guys pulled 4 of the original A&G Cards, and almost every case had one of the SP Autos. I hear Topps is cutting back on the content of Retail products this year, but in the past it was much better than Hobby.
    Examples, 2005 BCDP never had more than 2 of the SOTF autos, 2006 BCDP Blasters had a Blue/Gold or Orange auto per case. These cases only contained the equivliant of 5 1/3 Boxes. Even the 52 Rookies had more SPs than the Hobby, and even with only 1/3 the amount of autos per box, the players were much better. I've heard this all will stop with this year's Bowman Chrome, but it was sweet while it lasted.
  • Options
    Big Slick...that is great info. Alot of people got luck with BDP retail but I wasn't one of them! A&G was the same last
    year I thought in regards to auto odds...will that change? At least we are guarenteed that retail wont go over
    72/box as long as we buy from walmart or target!

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>Bigslick,

What do you mean by swapping singles for sets?

Kurt >>

I guess I was a little vague. If several people break a few boxes they might not make a set. I know we'll have 100s of SPs. I want to sell sets instead of single cards(labor and fees are just murder). We could trade in volume to make your set, and our sets.

Kevin mentioned Blowout. The next person who buys boxes or half cases, and pulls the case hit will be the first.
  • Options

<< <i>Big Slick...that is great info. Alot of people got luck with BDP retail but I wasn't one of them! A&G was the same last
    year I thought in regards to auto odds...will that change? At least we are guarenteed that retail wont go over
    72/box as long as we buy from walmart or target!

Kevin >>

Kevin, if you want try some of the online stores for blaster cases. At some point they'll have them at 20% off, at least you can get free shipping. Most people don't know, but Factory cost on those things is under $10 per box.
  • Options
    Bigslick, which stores offer blaster cases through their online store?
  • Options

<< <i>Bigslick, which stores offer blaster cases through their online store? >>

BUY.COM will have them, and will also give you a link to dozens more sites. Last year they had them for $190 per case for a short time, then $256, finally for $320.
  • Options
    Does anyone have a quoted price on an 8 box case with 24 packs per box?
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone have a quoted price on an 8 box case with 24 packs per box? >>

Factory Cost, $288. Go from there. I assume most people are paying in the $350 range.
  • Options
    So then to answer my question about having a "quoted" price, that would be a....no, not yet.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I saw someone on ebay (I don't remember who) preselling Hobby Boxes for $98.00. I have also seen $389.00 for a Retail case of 8 boxes.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    I just pre-ordered 2 cases at $419/case
  • Options

<< <i>I saw someone on ebay (I don't remember who) preselling Hobby Boxes for $98.00. I have also seen $389.00 for a Retail case of 8 boxes. >>

I guess $389 per is a fair price, if it goes via Ebay. Fees and Paypal will eat up a lot of the $12.50 per box profit.
    I've found that most of the people who sell Retail on Ebay, run a "shell game", passing off the product as Hobby. You guys know what they do. I have quite a bit coming, but Topps has cut back most of their Retail orders on this product. You know they'll print much more than last year, so I assume it will come in waves. I still think Blasters are the way to go, if your breaking. Around $240 per 16 box case won't be hard to find if you look.
  • Options
    At $20 a blaster retail, where are you going to find a case of 16 for $240?
  • Options

<< <i>At $20 a blaster retail, where are you going to find a case of 16 for $240? >>

I pay less than that, but I also buy other things that are not as hot. I think people expect to get good prices on what they want, and expect the distributors to eat everything else. I've listed places you can find even this product at below retail price.
  • Options
    I like reading Bigslick's posts, but he kinda says alot with REALLY saying anything. LOL It's like those sitcoms where a guy goes to a therapist and asks "what does that mean doc?", and the therapist says "well, what do you think it means?"
  • Options

<< <i>I like reading Bigslick's posts, but he kinda says alot with REALLY saying anything. LOL It's like those sitcoms where a guy goes to a therapist and asks "what does that mean doc?", and the therapist says "well, what do you think it means?" >>

This is exactly what I'm trying to say. You can't buy 1 or 2 of the hot products per year, and get it for factory plus 10%. If you go to Buy.Com, or even the MLB Store, you'll find the Blaster cases within the next month or so. At some point they'll have a 20% off sale. They do that every Summer. $15 per box is about the best price you'll find.
  • Options
    It's hard to sit around and wait for that sale while your trading buddies are finishing up without you, leaving you almost no one to help you finish your set.