Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Make your own judgment about this EBAY buyer...updated to add more hostile message received through

greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
I sold a 1903-S PCGS VF35 Morgan dollar for a fixed price of $275 on EBAY to buyer 'robohog2000'. He paid immediately via Paypal on Sunday evening just after 10 p.m. EST after the end of auction. I mailed via USPS first class delivery confirmation mail the following morning on Monday morning. I live in Florida. He lives in California. He recieved the coin on Wednesday. Before he received the coin on he sent the following email to me early Wednesday morning:

I paid you on Sunday. Today is Wednesday. When did it ship? And what is the tracking number? Did I pay you to fast? or are you always this inconsiderate to your buyers?

Before I got home from work today, he received the coin the coin in the mail (according to USPS delivery confirmation records) and he immediately left the following negative feedback regarding the transaction:

Terrible Coin. VF35 Described As Close To XF & "PQ". Not Even Close! Just Bull

This buyer has elected to make his feedback private. I responded as follows:

PCGS graded coin. I offer a 7 day no questions asked return privilege. Just return coin.

Here is the auction link at issue:

EBAY auction link for 1903-S PCGS VF35 coin

I have advised the buyer I will be happy to process a refund for the coin if he wishes to return it. I have no idea what precipitated his initial hostile inquiry and his subsequent negative feedback. There are and were no other communications or emails between us. I have no history of other transactions with this EBAY buyer. Regardless, I have made a business decision to block him from further bidding on my auctions. I leave it to readers of this post to form their own opinions. I am posting this for informational purposes only.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

Comments

• Options
    Wow - - he sounds like a real jerk; I guess I should block him too
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    that is rather odd!
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    I'm not so sure what he's ticked off about. You've got a 7-day return privilege, shipping & ins. very reasonable. Maybe he was pi$$ed because he was the lone bidder suffering buyer's remorse and he took it out on you.

Seems to me he still has 4 days to return it net of shipping and on a $275 win, that's nothing if he's so dissatisfied with the quality. Heck it's in a PCGS holder for cyring out loud.

I don't sell on eBay, I only buy and not that frequently. I don't get to worried about shipment until about two weeks after I've paid by Paypal and longer if it's MO or Check.

I think your buyer is suffering from buyer's remorse is all

Good luck!
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    rjf810rjf810 Posts: 91 ✭✭
    One of the problems with E-bay is that if you sell frequently, sooner or later you will have to deal with a bidder/buyer that you can never make happy. If your buyer would have read your return policy, he could have simply returned the coin and received a refund. However, this fella jumped the gun and left you with a negative feedback.

I don't know why he did not try to contact you first and try to resolve the situation between the two of you.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I paid you on Sunday. Today is Wednesday. When did it ship? And what is the tracking number? Did I pay you to fast? or are you always this inconsiderate to your buyers?"

Greg -

Based on his first email, I have nothing to say except the guy is a rude, blithering, inbred idiot. No other analysis is required. Nuf said.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Definitely a nut case. image

But the coin ain't exactly "So close to XF. A choice PQ speciman." either. You might be a victim of your own hype.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you get signature confirmation.....no, wait a sec. image

I think that buyer is probably worth blocking.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    What Dave said.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope his recent feedback was your neg on him.

Whatta jerk!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    robohog2000 has "decided to make their feedback comments private". This is a tell-tale sign. He/She has a 97.9% rating. I suppose you can't choose the bidders/buyers of your auctions. But folks who are unwilling to share their feedback publicly are people who I wouldn't want to deal with. You would be justified to block this buyer from future auctions.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    Greg,

Sorry to hear that... sounds like a neg. for a different reason to me... like a buddy asked him to neg you for some reason... sounds just too off the wall...
  • Options
    Geez I wonder why his feedback is private? what does he have to hide?

greg you may be able to have ebay do something about that feedback. the guy did use foul language.

sorry this happened to you.

Steve

edited to add: no refund for that clown.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭
    image You did nothing wrong . Do not forget to leave a reply to neg. Others can judge your fairness in selling by checking the sale. I BLOCKED the guy. Thanks for warning.image
  • Options
    WOW

The followup is HARSH

you Pi$$ed this guy off somehow. Whats the rest of the story?
  • Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the buyer doesn't know what vf35 and xf mean, maybe he thinks xf means uncirculated? I mean, vf35 and xf40 are very close in my opinion, perhaps you have an uninformed buyer, or maybe just a rude person. Have you tried to look up what else he has bid on to see if he is a seasoned collector?
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be the water. I hear about a lot of wierd image coming out of California. We've known about it for a while in the midwest.
  • Options
    Has Greg seen the follow up?
  • Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    Well, he likes Russ.
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up, will add this clown to my no bid list. image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

I never block bidders, but I had to in this situation. That guy is nuts.
  • Options
    oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416
    Here is an excerpt of a reply that I just posted regarding another ebay question I think it is very relavent regarding the EBAY community:

I actually had an ebay buyer ask me where his shipment was after four postal days including the day I sent it. He insisted it should take no more than 3 postal days. I sent him the tracking number and said it should be there soon. A week later he requested a refund and reported me as not sending an item when I sent the item and sent him the tracking number! It had been sitting at his post office for a week (ironically since the day he sent the first email). I called EBAY, they contacted him and suggested he go get his package. Ebay is actually reasonable if you have the correct paper trail. Just remember once you list something on EBAY, you're now working with people whose perceptions of acceptable, unacceptable as well as overall ethics may be completely different than yours. Even worse their perception of accountabilty varies greatly. Obvoiusly this person expected a EF coin in a VF holder sent priority mail on Monday with a tracking number the minute you returned home from the post office. With his expectations I would have to leave negative feedback for 60% of sellers who sell me graded coins and 100% of the sellers who I purchased raw coins from! image

If I where you I would leave appropriate feedback and keep all records of this transaction. Your feedback is almost spotless most people will realize he is the exception and his "private feedback" gives him even less credibility.

In his defense maybe he expected a tracking number up front. But this is a high expectation unless you pay USPS online. Hmm maybe I learned something today at your expense!
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I just blocked him too. I added him to Dave's "Hall of Shame" list.

After reading his follow up, he appears to be the type of wing-nut who would drive across America in diapers to "get even", man to man. He sounds unstable.

Sorry you bumped into this clown Greg. And thanks for warning us.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin looks FINE to me! image

I BLOCKED "The Clown" Don't need the aggravation. image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Blocked. Thanks for pointing him out.
  • Options
    ILikeMercsILikeMercs Posts: 1,392
    BLOCKED!
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blocked....with the other "tools" on my list

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Grand Am How did you block him? I am attempting to to the same right now? I am on the phone with EBAY.
    Best Regards,

Rob

• Options
    you Pi$$ed this guy off somehow. Whats the rest of the story?

If you find out...let me know. I have zero history of prior transactions with this person, and as I stated, there are no other communications (written, oral or otherwise) between the two of us, other than those I posted.

I have just now read the follow up feedback, which confirms my initial decision to block this individual.

Fortunately, in my line of work, I havve come across enough wacko's and had to deal with them in a professional setting, that I don't take it personally, I just make a business decision on how to handle itand move on. If somone is trying to bait me into something...they've got the wrong mark picked out. I don't have the time, inclination, or interest in that type of flaming crap. Honestly, I doubt the person even returns the coin. I think there is some other motive driving them. It's unknown to me...and I hope to keep it that way. Thanks for the comments and observations.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fastest block I have ever did. Something is wrong with that person.

The second feedback comment is really unwarranted to say the least.

Ken
  • Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    BLOCKED and thanks...........Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options

<< <i>BLOCKED and thanks...........Rick >>

As a Seller it seems to me that this "block" feature can be truly valuable. As a buyer I wish there was a "Sellers to avoid" option on ebay. That way I could leverage all of th advice on sellers to avoid that appear on these pages.

Alas ebay makes it's money off of Seller fees and not buyers. image
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Here are his most recent purchases:

160090489579 Feb-27-07 Mar-02-07 17:15:04 US $149.99 1987 W * PCGS PR69 DCAM * $5 GOLD Constitution Commem. robohog2000 (*) piedraboy
    120091144168 Feb-24-07 Mar-03-07 19:41:33 US $115.00 1887 Morgan Dollar PCGS MS65 MS 65 robohog2000 (*) p*rcoins
    120091144254 Feb-24-07 Mar-03-07 19:41:58 US $172.05 1884 Morgan Dollar PCGS MS65 MS 65 robohog2000 (*) p*rcoins
    200082540981 Feb-22-07 Mar-04-07 17:30:26 US $230.00 1996-D PCGS MS69 TENNIS COMMEMORATIVE SILVER DOLLAR robohog2000 (*) compucheap
    270090164032 Feb-25-07 Mar-04-07 19:00:00 US $275.00 1903-S PCGS VF35 Morgan Dollar robohog2000 (*) greghansen

Note that he won a coin from Russ the same day as he won the Morgan from Greg. I checked Russ' feedback and he got this positive:

Nice Coin. Fast Ship. Thanks.

The only thing that I can think of is that he does not like attorneys. image
  • Options
    Again as a seller I would like to know how to block an indivdual! I just got off the phone with EBAY and they told me it was not possible. HELPimage
    Best Regards,

Rob

• Options

<< <i>Again as a seller I would like to know how to block an indivdual! I just got off the phone with EBAY and they told me it was not possible. HELPimage >>

Ok,

Go to the ebay site map. Its at the top of the page while your on ebay.

Under "SELL" there is an option titled "Block Bidder/Buyer List "

or just use this link.
  • Options
    Again as a seller I would like to know how to block an indivdual!

At the top of your EBAY page after you sign in, there is a series of hyperlinks and one is for 'Site Map'. Click on it.

It will open up a page containing a series of hyperlinks under the heading 'Sell'. One of the hyperlinks will be 'Block Bidder/Buyer List'. Click on it.

It will open up a page with a hyperlink for 'Add an eBay user to my Blocked Bidder/Buyer List'. Click on it.

It will open up a page for you to enter the ebay member name of the person you wish to block. Once you've entered the ebay member, click on the 'Submit' button.

Your done.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, he likes Russ. >>

He won't like me the next time he tries to bid.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    God, what an ass.

Also, I thought one could not leave negative feedback until after going through the dispute process? What's up with that?

Greghansen: You should use Taiwan feedback to leave a nasty, lengthy follow-up comment to the feedback you left for this tool.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to see that happen to you Greg.

Thanks for the heads up , robohog2000 is now added to my blocked list.
  • Options
    Oh, and he was a repeat buyer.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>Oh, and he was a repeat buyer.

Russ, NCNE >>

Russ, you are hosing your consignors! image
  • Options

<< <i><< Oh, and he was a repeat buyer.

Russ, NCNE >>

Russ, you are hosing your consignors! >>

I have a few other repeat bidders who will fill the void.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    What a Maroon...
    Blocked. Thanks for the heads up!
  • Options
    Well, this is going from bad to worse....

I just now recieved the following message from this person via the EBAY message system. I am filing a complaint with EBAY, as this is 'off the charts' weird. I have edited the message to eliminate the obviously vulgar language...but in the message to me, it is spelled out in all its original and full glory. This is his latest reply to me:

Not only do I NOT like the coin, I don't like getting fu__ed with bulls__t descriptions either. PQ your fu__ing mother! Close to XF ? Bulls__t! Kiss my as_! You are obviously a pr__k. You won't be forgotten. If you want to buy back the piece s__t let know know. I'll give my price and then we'll see if you still want to buy it. Now taking a fu__in' hike.

If this message gets zapped by the moderators, I will understand and I apologize in advance, but I think it is a public service to make forum members aware of this disturbed individual.

• Options
    OMG

reply to him that no you do not want the coin back that he is stuck with it.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Well, this is going from bad to worse....

I just now recieved the following message from this person via the EBAY message system. I am filing a complaint with EBAY, as this is 'off the charts' weird. I have edited the message to eliminate the obviously vulgar language...but in the message to me, it is spelled out in all its original and full glory. This is his latest reply to me:

Not only do I NOT like the coin, I don't like getting fu__ed with bulls__t descriptions either. PQ your fu__ing mother! Close to XF ? Bulls__t! Kiss my as_! You are obviously a pr__k. You won't be forgotten. If you want to buy back the piece s__t let know know. I'll give my price and then we'll see if you still want to buy it. Now taking a fu__in' hike.

If this message gets zapped by the moderators, I will understand and I apologize in advance, but I think it is a public service to make forum members aware of this disturbed individual. >>

Hopefully that will get him NARU'd.
  • Options
    That guy really needs to take his meds.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go through Ebay mediation. They may force him to remove the negative if they find that you have done nothing wrong.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Bizzare. I'd be worried for this person's family, if he has one. It's only a coin. Has some true anger issues.

"Blocked"
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Plain and simple. Another bidder blocked.

hanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    Wow!

I don't block very often but I did in this case. Your photos are fine and you have a return policy. You shipped quickly. Even if he wanted to return the coin he should have given you a solid positive.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file