Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Late 70'sEarly80's Baseball Group Wax Rip Official Thread. Its Been Fun

123457»

Comments

• BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I will trade any of the 80's cards that I have for your 84 Donruss. Please let me know image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭

Nothing to report again

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• My scanner is out of order. Here are the highlights.

84 Fleer Ripken
    84 Donruss Gossage
    I've been on a pretty slow streak. Sorry for not having scans.
    -Ryan
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Nothing to report again >>

That Dion James card was *hot* in the winter of 1984. I don't know why, but people thought he was gonna be a star. Dontcha ever wonder what those guys end up doing for a living?
  • mcholke --- PM sent. I'm interested in the Dion James!

-t
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • I was moving late last week and over the weekend, here is the best of the rest that I opened. This whole experience was great and I got some great cards as well. Thanks again!!! Does anyone think that any of these have a shot at a 10.

• Thats a mighty fine mattingly champs any chance youd want to trade it for something? I pulled the 82 fleer ripken
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    champs,
    i'd say a nogo on the gwynn and mcgee. can you rescan with a black background (except for the gwynn)? nice mattingly and ozzie dk.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • I couldn't resist not opening the '84Ds! I absolutely love that set. Here are the highlights scanned and a list of the rest of the more OC pack:

627 Matt Keough (Yankees, P)
    407 John Denny (Phillies, P)
    585 Storm Davis (Orioles, P)
    432 Genn Hubbard (Braves, 2b)
    483 Keith Moreland (Cubs, OF)
    522 Tom Burgmeier (A's, P)
    586 Dave Schmidt (Rangers, P)
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    guys,
    those nettles cards look sweet.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    85 Fleer and 84 Donruss - first 84D I've ever owned, and I see why you guys like them so much.

3rd Mattingly I've pulled in this rip:

"Molon Labe"

My packs are getting worse.

The best of my 85 Topps:

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
    I am not sure how many guys participated in posting scans of their cards, but it seemed like this was a pretty lackluster pack rip. Maybe I need to go back and checkout all the scans again, but I dont remember that many stars being posted.

JDRF Donation
  • i'm guilty I havent posted half my packs i got busy organizing the footbal rip. heck I still have 7 packs to rip I better start ripping. image

JDRF Donation

I am about 6 hours to early, but I am posting the last of my cards from the pack rip. Hopefully other folks will be encouraged to share their cards.

JDRF Donation
  • mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    I am not sure how many guys participated in posting scans of their cards, but it seemed like this was a pretty lackluster pack rip. Maybe I need to go back and checkout all the scans again, but I dont remember that many stars being posted.

Sorry I didn't post scans.
    The only star cards I got were 1983 Fleer Nolan Ryan and 1982 Fleer Rickey Henderson. That's it. I was excited about opening the 1977 cards but they were in pretty bad shape.
    I was disappointed in my cards but the thrill of the chase was great.

Congrats on the great pulls.
  • HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>i'm guilty I havent posted half my packs i got busy organizing the footbal rip. heck I still have 7 packs to rip I better start ripping. image >>

And I was thinking about slabbing most of my packs, but, even with the $10/pack special price, I just don't see much benefit in grading any of the '80s packs. I'll probably save the '70s stuff, but I'm going to open the rest now. I've only opened the '83T (damaged pack) and '84D (just love 'em!) at this point. I'll have to share some more scans, too...
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    Here are the highlights to date.

The 85s are not bad. I've always liked all star cards, and I've always been a huge Henderson fan.

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    85 Fleer - Pulled a Jim Presley rookie.
    85 Donruss - I got 2 Jesse Orosco Diamond Kings

Those were the best.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
    I went out the way I started, with a wimper. The experience was fun and I will at least save some money on grading fees.

• RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭

"The 85s are not bad. I've always liked all star cards, and I've always been a huge Henderson fan."

Yeah, but not as big a fan as he is of himself! lol

i wonder why the 85D don't command a premium for 9&10 grades. those are impossible to find unchipped......even harder than the 71T!!!

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big round of applause for 80s junkie!!! Thanks for organizing.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • <<The 85s are not bad. I've always liked all star cards, and I've always been a huge Henderson fan."

Yeah, but not as big a fan as he is of himself! lol>>

Hendersons not that bad. He actually has a vac house near me. Every time I see him hes a real nice guy. Maybe hes just mellowed in his old ageimage

and thanks alfonz its always fun organizing these rips and seeing the group come together for some cheap fun and entertainment
    I went through the scans that have been posted and identified the star cards and some of the minor stars. I may have missed some, but for those of you who haven't opened you may be sitting on some good cards.

1977-1983:

1977 Topps:

Ryan, Yaz, Seaver

1978 Topps:

Murray, Molitor/Trammell, Rose x2, Brett, Yount

1979 Topps:

Bench A.S., Aaron All Time Record Holder, Ryan Strike Out Leader, Yaz, Sutter

1980 Topps:

Yaz A.S., Molitor x 2, Carew A.S., Rose

1982 Topps:

Rose A.S, Brett x 2, Yount

1982 Fleer:

Carew, Murray, Ozzie, Henderson, Ripken

1982 Donruss:

Murray, Yount, Carew

1983 Topps:

Rose A.S x 2, Rose, Boggs, Brett A.S, Gwynn

1983 Fleer:

Boggs

JDRF Donation
  • Here's some selected cards from my '85 Donruss pack. The Sandberg and others were diamond cut, but still a fun pack to rip hoping for a Kirby or Roger rookie!

Playing a little catchup ball, here are some of the '84 Topps cards I pulled.

The Brett was by far and away the best conditioned card of the mostly-OC '85 Fleer pack. Another pack with Puckett potential. Fun stuff!

• ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    Nothing too exciting in the last pack.

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Thanks for a great rip 80's. I'd be very interested to do something like it again. It is much better than opening 86-89. Although the 77's were a little dissapointing, the 78-80 all were great and I'm sure all of us have a few chances at some great 10's (but probably 9's) Thank you.
    -Ryan
  • I'm definitely a little late to the party ....

in all honesty, I ripped all of my packs (except the '77, which i sent to be graded) within the first 24 hours they arrived at my place. I was definitely disappointed in the results (for the most part), so pretty much went on hiatus from this thread.

Here are the scans of my "best cards" -- in terms of condition and gradeability. I'll likely send these in to PSA unless one of you guys need 'em.

NOTE:
    That '78 Nettles did bring fond memories. Went I was a kid in the early 80's, that Nettles was one of the first "old" cards I had (I started collecting in '86).

- Building these sets:
  • Here are some other pulls from my portion of the break. Nothing earth shattering.... I do like the Mad Hungarian card, though image

- Building these sets:
  • TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Blindflyer, I would be pretty happy with the results if I were you. I think you got a pretty good variety and the 84 Mattingly is probably the best card you can pull from the set. Granted, you probably didn't get your monies worth, but it is very tough when ripping wax.
  • TJ,

Agreed. I've done several of these busts and dont' think I've "gotten my monies worth" yet ---- but continue to do them because they are a lot of fun. Pulling the Mattingly was exciting, regardless of its value.

'84 has definitely been my best year --- pulled an Yzerman rookie in the hockey bust. And I pulled a few very low pop 84 Donruss that did grade PSA 10) in various busts as well.

My hat goes off to Gary (80s Junkie) --- these rips are a lot of fun.

Looking forward to football.

-t
    - Building these sets:
  • can't see the corners too well, but from what i can see, that 79 Brett looks tasty!!!
  • Roar --- I just took another look at the Brett.... corners are razor sharp, centering perfect.

there's some pretty rough chipping/rough cut along a portion of the bottom and one small surface bubble.

... it'd probably get an 8 b/c of that --- otherwise it's a beaut!

GREAT eye appeal regardless.

-t
    - Building these sets:
  • Just a reminder that I am looking for 84 Donruss cards from the pack rip. I will trade any year cards that I ripped for your 84 Donruss.

Thanks!

JDRF Donation