Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Late 70'sEarly80's Baseball Group Wax Rip Official Thread. Its Been Fun

Comments

• Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Here are my 77s.

• ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I'll catch up to you guys once I get my packs. If anyone gets a PSA 9 candidate of a '77 Luis Tiant, I'd be willing to trade something for it. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    If anyone gets any Cincinnati Reds players, I would like to trade for them. Just let me know image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • im sorry mkg I really thought everyone would have there packs by now UI sent them all priority mon morn. so much for 2-3day serviceimage
  • mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Got 'em today.
    Will rip tonight.
    Thanks
  • Arny,
    I got the Tiant. You tell me if you think it's 9 material. I think it was one on my better pulls from the 77's

Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Not much to post on the 77's. All in the PSA 6-7 range except the Colburn:

Dick Pole
    John Denny
    Bob Tolan
    Carl Morton
    Fred Norman
    Milt May
    Rookies Pitchers (Len Barker)
    Steve Luebber
    Big League Brothers (Ken and Bob Forsch)
    Jim Colburn with a big old piece of gum welded to the back

Better luck with the 78's
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    The Garvey is pretty sweet. I also had a piece of gum that's turning brown, like it got wet, and the card next to the gum looks like it has water damage. Ain't Brian Downing cool???

Fun to rip!

"Molon Labe"

• ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    I'm living large in the Eastern time zone fellas!!

My wife caught me eyeballing the Fidrych below with this loupe that I just picked up at a gun show.

She asked who the player was and was impressed with the story. She asked how much the card was worth, and the way she rolled her eyes and quickly blasted a breath through her pursed lips made it clear to me that she was impressed when I told her, "About five cents." All of the upper right corners are slightly bent, but I am having a blast.

1978 is the first year I remember opening wax. My brother got a box at a flea market in the summer of '78 and let me rip some of the packs. He was crazy about Fidrych, and he will love to see this card. Back then, he stashed all of the gum in a polystyrene Bic Mac container on his dresser. It was that wonderful Topps gum flavor with just a hint of 1000 Island dressing taste as a bonus.

Sorry to ramble. Here is the best of the pack.

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>She asked who the player was and was impressed with the story. She asked how much the card was worth, and the way she rolled her eyes and quickly blasted a breath through her pursed lips made it clear to me that she was impressed when I told her, "About five cents." All of the upper right corners are slightly bent, but I am having a blast.

1978 is the first year I remember opening wax. My brother got a box at a flea market in the summer of '78 and let me rip some of the packs. He was crazy about Fidrych, and he will love to see this card. Back then, he stashed all of the gum in a polystyrene Bic Mac container on his dresser. It was that wonderful Topps gum flavor with just a hint of 1000 Island dressing taste as a bonus.

Sorry to ramble. Here is the best of the pack. >>

Ramble? Thanks for sharing! I love the memory value of cards, packs and in this case gum.

We all have those memories and its great to hear of other's stories. Its the tie that binds us here. Have your wife see when you show your brother the card. She may get some insite to why a 5 cent card is so enjoyable to look at.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
    This is cool! What do you think - there's some ink smudging right above "Rookie Shortstops". Will that hammer the grade?

"Molon Labe"

• zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>This is cool! What do you think - there's some ink smudging right above "Rookie Shortstops". Will that hammer the grade?

image >>

DAMN!!!!

That is one sweet card. The smudging is normal on that card and it doesn't look that bad. I think if the corners look as sharp as they are in the scas, that has major 9 potential!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
    Bunker, way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great centering on that Murray!!

"Molon Labe"

• Damn thats a SWEEEET Murray Bunker. Your gonna grade that puppy right.image
    Glad the Murray and Molitor got pulled before I opened my 78 now I think I'll get my 78 graded w my 77 and 79 pack.
  • RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    wow....that is without a doubt the nicest Murray RC i've ever seen!! If that doesn't come back at least a 9, i'll give you a 9's value for it!!
  • Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Bunker, I'll trade you all my Reds,Indians, Dodgers, Pirates, etc...from this rip for that Murray.

image That is a great card, congrats!

Here are mine 78s:

• Once again, nothing exciting...Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

<< <i>Your gonna grade that puppy right >>

I am going to send it in with my next sub. I was pretty happy when I pulled it for a minute there I felt like I hit the lottery. image

JDRF Donation
  • Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats guys on the fine looking Murray and Molitor rookie cards!!!

Just like the 77s, I rolled craps.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
    Hey Piman that Rose looks great!

JDRF Donation
  • I didn't post the 77 pack because it was terrible. This one yielded a star and some nice yanks. I like the Murray and the Nolan card that were already posted.

-Ryan
  • KremsKrems Posts: 347 ✭✭
    Nice pulls guys....unfortunately I am still waiting on my cards...damn post office. I guess it'll give me more time to decide whether or not to open them image

<< <i>image

image >>

Is the top of the Murray card stained/print defect?
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • KremsKrems Posts: 347 ✭✭
    Packs finally arrived today!!!!

<< <i>Is the top of the Murray card stained/print defect? >>

My scanner washes the colors out some, however the red line is slightly faded in a couple of areas. The scan exaggerates this and in hand it is not that noticeable.

JDRF Donation
  • mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Count me in the nothing exciting department again.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Nothing exciting but so far everybodys 78 look pretty nicely centered. My last 3 boxes of 78 were all oc. Looks like I might have to buy a box from steve
  • I guess I'm a little late to the party. I will have to catch up. Here's my 1977's.
    I was pumped up to eat the gum until I saw the brown edges. image
    Overall, the pack was in tough shape in regards to centering and edge nicks.
  • And here's my 78's.
    And I thought the 1977 gum was bad! This stick from 1978 was much browner and actually had what looked like mold growing on the edge of it.
    Much better centering than the 77's and in better shape overall.
    Porkchopper, that 78 Rose looks very nice. What is the centering like on the back?

JDRF Donation
  • The back centering on the Rose is nearly perfect. Sure makes up for the bad piece of gum. image
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice cards! When are we doing a 60's rip? Or dare I say 50's rip?
  • Wow, those '78 Indians uniforms are obscene. So obscene, I almost like them. wow.

I ripped my 78's .. nothing spectacular ... I'll try to get some scans up shortly.

-t
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    I'm a little late to the party, but I brought my 77's. Nothing too spectacular.

• gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    ...and here are the 78's

My 79's:

JDRF Donation
    It is the 28th in St. Louis! Here are my 79s. The centering on the back of the Bench may kill any chance for a 10.

• RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Kevin Bell looks like a tortured step-child......
    That is a great looking Bench! It is to bad about the centering on the back.

JDRF Donation
  • HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>Glad the Murray and Molitor got pulled before I opened my 78 now I think I'll get my 78 graded w my 77 and 79 pack. >>

I'm in the same boat as you, 80sJ. I just can't get myself to open these old packs. I'd like to get them graded, too.

Maybe the newer packs I'll open since I've got examples of most of them already...
  • I guess I should have done the same thing with getting the packs graded as my 77-79 has been disappointing.

Looking for the 78 Reds Team, 79 Reds Team as well as the Concepcion, Griffey and Foster if any one gets any possible 9's

>

• ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    My '79 pack looked so good I almost didn't open it. The cards inside looked about as good. The top three may pull nines. The rest have issues. Those narrow borders really make an OC card stand out. I am really jealous of the guys pulling all of the Pirates - high dollar rookie cards be d@mned. I also got the infamous OC Marc Hill with the smudge.

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • 79's were similar to the 77's. a few were decently centered. I actually really like this set. Wish I would've gotten better cards.

-Ryan
  • mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    My contribution to the 1979 Rip. Still waiting for the breakthrough card

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Here is my 1979's.
    And I ate the gum, wish I hadn't, but I had to do it. image
  • Champs, That Ryan is sweet. By the way does that Kingman 78 look airbrushed? I guess with the good scan you can see everything. PM sent about your Expos card.

Red

>

The "best" of the 79's -

Nice Ryan btw!

If you're holding onto 79 packs, rip away! The good cards are still in hiding!

"Molon Labe"