Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Late 70'sEarly80's Baseball Group Wax Rip Official Thread. Its Been Fun

Comments

• c'mon guys, get those payments in!

I'd like to possibly take advantage of the PSA pack grading special for January for a few of these packs ... let's get the rip rolling!

-Tom

PS Who am I kidding ... no way I'll be able to have the discipline necessary to not rip. Consider these puppies RIPPEEEEED!
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • ranarana Posts: 242
    If a spot opens, I'll be happy to join. I can pay via PayPal, just PM me if someone drops out.
  • Well of the 5 I need payment for Ive talked to 2 still need to hear from the other 3 I Sent friendly reminder pms.

Now the good news I went ahead and placed the order this Morn So hopefully I'll Get the boxes in a few days. image
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    Junkie--thougth that I had signed up. If you need a spot, let me know

Manny
  • BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I brain faded, but now I have paid!

Bkritz
  • HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>Now the good news I went ahead and placed the order this Morn So hopefully I'll Get the boxes in a few days. image >>

Yeah baby!! This'll be fun! image
  • This is gonna be fun, I think the last pack of cards I opened was about 4 years ago. However, that was disappointing. An entire box of 1989 Upper Deck and not a single Griffey. The gods of packs gotta get me back this time.
  • Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My last rip was probably about 1993. This will take me back to the good old days.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Hello guys just an update still waiting to hear from 2 people regarding payments. I pmd them again. If I dont here from them by the time the boxes arrive in a few days I will go ahead and let someonelse fill the spots.image
  • mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Bump!
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    Do we have a structure for this rip? One pack per week of two packs per week? Is it a rip 'em when you get 'em free for all? I like some stucture, but I could go through 16 packs in about 15 minutes just as well.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Paideded.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
    This is my first rip session, but it would be nice to only do 1 or 2 a day and then post scans of the better cards.

But you will be on the honor system no matter what we decide as a group.
  • BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Paid (finally). Damn 4 business days on bank transfer paypal crap.
  • 16 packs.

How about 2 packs per week ---- for a 2 month rip event.

-t
    - Building these sets:
  • BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Two months? Seriously?
  • Our previous rips have gone, on average, for 2-4 months.

If you can't handle it -- you're always welcome to rip away in the first 5 minutes ... just withhold sharing your results until the appropriate time image

-t

- Building these sets:
  • TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    Get those paid up fellas!
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football
  • Well fellas I know the other rips seem to get drawn Out I was Gonna say about 2 weeks should keep us all interested and scanning. I was gonna post a schedual soon as I send out the packs . 1 Pack a day starting with 85 and working down. This way we have a little fun everday for 2 weeks not 2 months.image
  • Ok all have contacted me or PAID but 1. So now I can give him some Chit. Were are you hiding Arny my Man . Wern't you the last one to pay on my 80's rip. Is this like your good luck ritualimage JK Arny

Has any one heard from ArnyVee in the last few days
    Where does he live?
    Maybe he's snowed (or iced) in without power.
    Or maybe he won the lottery and bought an island in the South Pacific and is sorting cards on his 40 foot yacht.
    imageimageimage

<< <i>Where does he live?
    Maybe he's snowed (or iced) in without power.
    Or maybe he won the lottery and bought an island in the South Pacific and is sorting cards on his 40 foot yacht.
    imageimageimage >>

I checked his Ebay store and stuff ships out of Hollywood Florida. So I am taking a wild guess and eliminate the snow/ice. The yacht looks like a more probable guess.
  • I love Arny --- but I'm calling him out on this one!

He posted in the '84 Donruss thread in the PSA Registry Forum about an hour ago.

He's around .... just ignoring this thread for one reason or another.

BOOOOO Arny!

-t
    - Building these sets:
  • Easy fellas...I'm still in, just have some problems with my PayPal account. Someone is putting through a large dispute and things have to get settled before I can send payments right now.

I hadn't been able to get online for the past four days though because of a few things. But, I'm back. image

I already let 80's junkie know and he's aware. We are good to go.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    imageimage
  • excellent ... I figured my post would smoke ol' Arny from his hole.

Looking forward to the rip!

-t
    - Building these sets:

<< <i>Well of the 5 I need payment for Ive talked to 2 still need to hear from the other 3 I Sent friendly reminder pms.

Now the good news I went ahead and placed the order this Morn So hopefully I'll Get the boxes in a few days. image >>

80s,

Any sign of the order? I have an itch that needs scratching.
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>80s,

Any sign of the order? I have an itch that needs scratching. >>

Maybe you need some cowbell?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

<< <i>

<< <i>80s,

Any sign of the order? I have an itch that needs scratching. >>

Maybe you need some cowbell? >>

I just made myself a tequila sunrise -- and do I smell like agave! Woohoo!
  • Wow I dont believe it. Someone knocked on my door at 7:30 pm and I thought who could this be no way could it be the Fed ex guy its way to late. image So I throw on some pants and answer the door holy chit image It was my fed ex guy. Hes gotten so use to delivering to me he made one last stop just for me. He said normally It would have just stayed in the truck till monday because he was out of time for today . But since I was on his way back to the warehouse he figured I was waiting eagerly. Guess all those beers Ive offered him over the last year finally paid off. image 7:30 at night thats what I call service

Anyhow our booty has arrived and its so prettyimage dont ya think

• SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Beeeyoootiful!

Almost time to rip.

Thanks again 80s!!!

"Molon Labe"

• I'm in love with that 84D box!!!!

I can't stop staring.

-t
    - Building these sets:
  • I'm actually excited to open that pack of '77s....I've never opened one of those. image

But, that '84 Donruss box sure is calling! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    80s junkie...... thanks for my new desktop background on my computer.
    I am looking forward to replacing it with some great pulls from my packs.

<< <i>Wow I dont believe it. Someone knocked on my door at 7:30 pm and I thought who could this be no way could it be the Fed ex guy its way to late. image So I throw on some pants and answer the door holy chit image It was my fed ex guy. Hes gotten so use to delivering to me he made one last stop just for me. He said normally It would have just stayed in the truck till monday because he was out of time for today . But since I was on his way back to the warehouse he figured I was waiting eagerly. Guess all those beers Ive offered him over the last year finally paid off. image 7:30 at night thats what I call service

Anyhow our booty has arrived and its so prettyimage dont ya think

image >>

Throw on some pants?? I guess I do not want to know.

I know our neighborhood UPS driver will backtrack the residential area on weekdays after 5:30 with big and/or heavy packages. I guess they do not want to handle it again the next day.
  • Well here is another pick of our beauties. A little disapointed in the 78 packs they are a little on the rough side but the 77s and all the others look pristine. Im working on getting the packs seperated and boxed up. Should all be going out Mon Morning. Hopefully we should all have them by next friday. I will post the rip schedual at the beggining of the thread With the first pack being ripped 1/26

• 80's,

truly fantastic work, my friend!

huge props on all your effort!

-t
    - Building these sets:
    Exciting pics! Thanks for the update, 80sJ! Can't wait to rip my first 70s packs ever!

• Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Awsome packs. I will be watching with great interest when the fun begins. On a side note, wonder why Topps started putting a baseball design on the wrappers instead of a player design in 1980? Any ideas?

Robert

<< <i>Awsome packs. I will be watching with great interest when the fun begins. On a side note, wonder why Topps started putting a baseball design on the wrappers instead of a player design in 1980? Any ideas?

Robert >>

I read where the guy that designed the artwork for the packs starting hanging out at the boozer with the guy who cuts the card sheets.
    ttt
  • Well the hard part is done . I just finished getting all the packs seperated boxed and labeled. Now a trip to the po in the morning and the packs will be on there way.image
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    That is awesome...I can't wait image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    80s thanks for the speed you are getting things done, this is great news.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Good luck to all of you with the rip.

Robert
  • BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    Thanks for organizing this again! It should be a blast.

It might be out of line with the spirit of the wax rip, but I am really into 1980 topps and do not care too much about 84 Donruss, for example. Would anyone consider trading their 80 pack for my 84 Donruss, plus a few $s if the $ value of the pack seems out of wack (a 1980 pack is about a $8 item)?

Just a thought. I know how Arny and the 84 guys are bonkers over 84 Donruss.

B
    I am gonna hold mine until next Christmas.

Or I could open for my birthday. Which is Wednesday.

Thanks again 80s!
  • On my way to the Post Office. I think everyone should have them by sat since they are going out priority . So we will shoot for Sunday as our First Rip day. Sound goodimage
    That's great.
    Thanks for all your hard work!