Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

81T #221 Bob Davis - Bluejays

I usually don't win two in a row - there's a few dudes who run this stuff up a bit.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    The centered '59s are very sweet, sidepocket! Nope, going for all the colors makes a lot of visual sense. That Musial is a bear to find centered, too. Nice!

Ladder, beautiful Gehrig. Easily that has to be his most appealing card image. Very nice!
  • Options

<< <i>Was that the game against the Chiefs, when Stram put Morris Stroud >>

Ya know...

I really don't remember - it was just such a great season - and I never looked back. I did stop following FB for a bit after the 87 strike - I believe that was the year?

I don't have a lot to get excited about - but hope springs eternal and there's always next year.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    He had about half a dozen great storybook games like that in '70. The Chiefs game has always stuck out because you just don't often see a huge guy leaping up to keep a football from going over the crossbar, looking like you would look trying to block a Tim Duncan shot. With the posts set back at the back of the end zone now, I'm not sure that's even still legal.
  • Options
    My mail day today

for my Magic set

for my Kobe set

for team auto set
    im a little upset because i didn't think this auto was on a sticker but sure enough it is. U.D hid the sticker pretty well. sneaky b*&%$# lol

Dave
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Dave,
    That Gooden is a nice looking card. I would have never guessed sticker on that auto.
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    I picked this up the other day. I am considering sending it off to PSA for grading.

Stanley Ketchell 1910 Philadelphia - Scrappers

imageimage

Piman
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    The mailman trudged through 5 inches of snow to drop these off today......what a great guy!

• Options
    This was a recent score - since I just put it in the Mantle thread, I'll pop it in here, too. image

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This was a recent score - since I just put it in the Mantle thread, I'll pop it in here, too. image >>

• Options
    Everyone's helpin' me out today. Thanks ajw!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    A couple more for the set:

imageimage
  • Options
    A couple from my recent sub -

Love the '84 Donruss design with Pujols in it...

And since I am a bit away from getiing that 1953 Bowman Color Mick yet, I have this on my desk until that time...

Just glad to be here with everyone.
  • Options
    My first Basketball complete sets!

• Options
    Those are some beauties, ChrisG - love the 70's basketball cards and discs.

A few more... Could've swore the Garvey would have gotten a 10..

Also, my favorite Steeler from my youth, what a LB, just a bit too off top to bottom I am guessing...

And, although not worth a penny, I bought my 9 year-old a 25 card assortment from NHL.com just so he could have a stack of Gretzky cards of his own and they showed up in a plastic box and all looked dinged. He asked kindly to have me slip one in here for grading and I found the least banged up of the bunch and 'voila!' . I have sent in better looking cards and got 8's. He is over the moon though, so I am pleased and it has a place of honor on his dresser now, isn't that what we all want?

Just glad to be here with everyone.
  • Options
    Tremendous stuff guys.

Congratulations Chris on completing your set!

Now - these are "attic" finds - from the closet - don't know when I got the mags.

I found a stack of early 50s Sport magazines - I like this one with Yogi and the coke 6pack is from the Ripken commemorative mania - did they produce this coke all over the nation or only in the DC area?
    Somewhere in this house - there's 6 bottles of very old coke? image

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Got this today ----- FREE from board member "stown" .... I won his "guess my grades" contest and these are my favs from what sent me.

They're beaters for the most part .... but I've NEVER had an vintage football so I love them. The All-Americans are very cool cards.... and a '54 Mays --- are you kidding me?

Great stuff!

THANKS STOWN!!!!!!

-tom

- Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    Very cool Tom!

Congratulations - nice present.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I'll have to get these slabbed. Could be a pair of 8's.
    imageimage
    "One you start thinking you're the best then you might as well quit because you wont get any better" - Dale Earnhardt
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>

Love the '84 Donruss design with Pujols in it...

>>

That Pujols is cool. I've never seen that before. Its funny that they even left the '84 on the card.
  • Options
    My brother and I got tickets for game 4 that got rained out and moved to game 5.....they clinched it that game and we both sent our tickets in to be authenticated and preserved for life. Not an item I care to ever sell but thought I'd share since we finally got them back. image
  • Options
    Stuck page. Time to turn.
    "One you start thinking you're the best then you might as well quit because you wont get any better" - Dale Earnhardt
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭
    Got these in today. Been a good card january around these parts!

Now if only some subs would pop!!!

Matthew
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Ok...so it hasn't arrived, yet...but I had to show this off. I bought not one, but TWO. Awesome. No one will be able to touch me on the squash court once these bad boys arrive!

Don't worry, the seller has one more. Better act fast, though!
  • Options
    Excited about my mail day today

I think these are cool looking auto's . . Like the design and no stickers !!

Dave
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭
    Kobe,

More sweet Laker autos and a nice Kobe!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    thank you much halosfan image

Dave
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    While not technically through the mail, I picked these up today at the Houston TriStar showl

I went there today specifically for my '55 All-Americans; it was the only checklist I brought... Guess you can say I was on a mission image

The show was okay. Not much vintage and was overpriced and overgraded image I can't tell you how many had grades written in sharpie on the holder. Otherwise, it was mostly modern stuff. If you're into modern, it's a great show for you.

Anyways, the following conversation actually took place.

Me "Hi, do you have any '55 All-Americans?"
    Dealer "Why would you want those?"
    M "Because I'm doing a set. The card appeals to me and it's something I wanted to do."
    D "Now why would you want to buy something that never increases in value?"
    M "Well, it's really not about the value because I appreciate the set as a collector."
    D "You shouldn't waste your money on them. I've sold 2 or 3 sets at the same price over a 5 year period. ZERO appreciation."
    M "Appreciation won't matter because I have ZERO intention on selling it."

Sad part is he had some decent stuff and had I not been so focused on the TAA, I probably would have bought something.

I can promise that I won't buy anything from him going forward.

Sorry for the rant.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    ajw, very nice '53 Mick. Been waiting for this Cyclone one for a long long time.

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Definitely some sweet cards coming in all over the place!

This came in the mail today.

I've found that I like the SGC holders for 56 Topps, maybe because the holders are bigger and the cards are oversized, but I like PSA holders for all other years.

What do you all think?

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Havent posted on here for some time but here is something that arrived just today
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    I just picked up a few nice cards for my 60's HOF Collection. 1964 Frank Robinson PSA 6, 1961 Al Kaline PSA 6 and a 1966 Willie Stargell PSA 6.
  • Options

Nice olive branch.

Intimidation on the squash court.
    NewJerseyMeatHook II
  • Options
    More from the show:

I'm now only 1 card away from completing the '54 Bowman, #74 Jim Gilliam.

Feeling that "itch" to finish it, I frantically asked every single dealer if they had Jim.

One, and only one, had the last card needed. Let me tell you, it was so beat up... Giving it a 1 would be an insult.. Yeah, that bad.

You have no idea how hard it was to resist the temptation of saying, "What the heck. Just finish it."

I just couldn't do it.

And I don't know if I regret it or not image

Edited to add: I also picked up a box of 2005 Topps All-American. Couldn't resist that image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Hey Stown, I didn't know you were doing the All American set. Best of luck completing it. I was a baseball only collector growing up, never bought my first football card until I returned to the hobby about 2002. I barely knew the set existed or anything about it, but I've fallen in love with it. It's a little out of my price range, even in the 6's I'm buying, but hopefully a few years down the road, I'll complete it and by proud of it!!

Well who am I kidding, I'm proud of it already. Just got this one in the mail today, my 37th of the set!!

I've been at it for 12 months now, along way to go. But it keeps me focused.

shawn
  • Options
    Just got this one in the mail today....image
  • Options
    Just picked these up about 30 minutes ago by answering an ad in the paper.

1943 La Ambrosia Imprenta Montiel - Regla Baseball Club
    Cuban amateur league - Angel Rodriquez

1910 American Tobacco Company Champion Athlete and Prize Fighter Series, Mecca back - J.A. Ruddy, track and field star

The Cuban card has a tear but its intact and has some glue staining from the album it was housed in at some point. They are very rare though and the price was right. The Ruddy card looks nicer than the scan and I think it may grade around a 6.......both cards and some other vintage will soon be enroute to SGC
  • Options
    BMR,

You made a good buy on that one. I had it on my watch list but ran out of free snipes image

When we outbid each other, no hard feelings image
  • Options
    I got hit by a new bug...

• Options
    Page turn.
  • Options

• Options
  • Options
    Everytime I see those '55 Topps all-americans it makes want to go after them again. Back in the day ('89-90) I put together a set of them. Gradeing was not really around then and ended up selling long ago but wish I still had them to grade and register just to have a nice low to mid grade set. Maybe in the future image
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    that '69 psa 6 marichal looks outstanding! creased or what?

i sold a really nice psa 6 '69 reggie rc last nite for $120, it usually sells for much less, but there is a crease hidden in an otherwise really nice card!

nice stuff
    julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Incredibly nice cards Drew.

That's a sweet 61T Juan card - centering is great!

Now - I just made a major find!

A 50$ EE US Savings Bond! I have no idea who gave it to me - it's dated 1/99 - so it's 8 yrs old - which means it's probably worth about 35$?

Also, the Prince of Procrastination is at it again - my club sub vouchure is about to expire!!!!

I've been working for a couple of hours looking for some nice cards to submit.

I don't care whether they're commons or stars - as long as they look good.

I have narrowed it down to 14 cards - none worth much money.

Any raw star card that I own is guaranteed to be no better than a 5 or 6 since they all were purchased during the era when Nmmt is code for exmt in PSA language.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Thursday...

imageimageimage

...along with a couple of other 8's (Jerry Logan and Bob Berry), from Greg at Cameo Cards.

Then Friday brought

...from Jay, at Cavalcade of Sports. Big ups to both of you guys image
  • Options
    GD

I like the Namath card - I've never seen it before. Very nice.

And yes, Jay is a super guy to do business with.

Thanx for sharing
    Mike
  • Options
    I got pretty excited about this one. Didn't even know this card existed. Better yet its autographed. Even better
    it cost only .99. Doesn't take much to make me happy!'

• Options

<< <i>Incredibly nice cards Drew.

That's a sweet 61T Juan card - centering is great!

>>

Thanks, Mike.

I'm not sure what got me started, but there isn't a lot of competition for Marichal cards, so I'm able to be picky and get some really nice samples for the grade. The '61 cost me a bit more than some PSA 7s, but I got the centering that I was looking for. The basic set only runs from 61-74, so I've already got a really nice start. Of course, I'll keep you guys updated with my progress...