Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job Jay!

What dpi are you scanning at?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Here are a couple of decent hitters that came in the mail today.

imageimage

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Matt I also have the Jersey one graded as well. Over all I dont like the quality of the scan compared to an old HP that I have at work. Maybe I should return this one for the HP that they have at Office max for 99.99.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Jimmy Foxx looks very nice for a 2.
  • Options
    Thanks ! I know, I dont see any creasing and back looks good as well. Just looks like someone ate a candy bar while looking at it.

• Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    TB Those are some nice looking cards image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    i love those goudeys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at some point i will post mine all i have are tris speaker and pie traynor and i forgot i also have al thomas
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Sweet cards TB! Got a copy of that Foxx - don't have one of that Rajah. Very nice additions to your collection!
  • Options
    TB

Nice pickup on the Foxx - it's on my unofficial "if I were Gates" want list.

Matt

I can't believe how many Emmitts you have! Incredible! Do they have an official "Dancing" card yet?

Merry Christmas
    mike

Mike
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here are my latest 72's... >>

Uniformly nice cards, especially the Ratelle. He looks bigger there than in some other pics I've seen of him.

I find it interesting that there seems to be very little in between on Hockey cards. Everybody here who collects them is an avid aficionado. There seems to be very little casual interest.

Personally, I don't have any PSA Hockey stuff, but when I venture outside of my sets, I look for high grade Hockey cards as much as anything else. I intend, at some point, to pick up some high end examples from a few players from that era. Dryden, Orr and the Espositio brothers, in particular.
  • Options

<< <i>TB

Nice pickup on the Foxx - it's on my unofficial "if I were Gates" want list.

Matt

I can't believe how many Emmitts you have! Incredible! Do they have an official "Dancing" card yet?

Merry Christmas
    mike >>

Mike, I hope I never have an opportunity to purchase one image
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Just got this in the mail today. An autographed Arnie Chonko card. Many of you might say "Who the heck is Arnie Chonko?"

Well, Arnie is the pride and joy of Parma, Ohio...at least Parma Senior High School...which is the school I work at. Arnie is arguably the top athlete to come out of the school in its 55 year history... possibly the best to ever come out of the entire city.(Hiesman trophy winner Les Horvath attended Parma for 2 years but graduated from another school so I will give Chonko the nod over him!) Anyway, I have been researching the top athletes in our school's history to start an athletic Hall of Fame. Chonko was a three year starter for Ohio State, an all-american defensive back. The outstanding defensive back award at OSU is named after him. He was named to the OSU Hall of Fame and is a member of the Buckeyes All-Century team in football. He was also an outstanding baseball player. He was drafted in both the NFL and MLB draft...turning down both to become a doctor! It tells you about the financial times when a player turns down pro football or baseball to become a doctor.(1964) So as I researched him, I of course checked to see if he had a card...when I found it... I had to buy it. The autograph of him is just a bonus! This will sit proudly in my office...a great conversation piece to say the least.
  • Options
    I love college cards image

If my math is right, Arnie should have played with Paul Warfield around that time.
  • Options

<< <i>I love college cards image

If my math is right, Arnie should have played with Paul Warfield around that time. >>

Yes, he did play on the same team as Warfield. Chonko was All-American in football and baseball...I would have loved to have seen what he would have done if he decided to go pro instead of medicine.
  • Options
    Yaz64

Couldn't get it to show up because I am slightly stoooopid tonight but I got my first vintage slab. I know it's not worth sounding the trumpets over but Yaz is my favorite and I wil be buying more of this awesome (and cheap!) set. Keep posting all your great cards fellas, this is always one of my first stops each morning. Hope you and yours all have a great New Year.
    Rich
    Just glad to be here with everyone.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    Newbie!

rd

Dave Kingman 1928 -
    Nicknames Kong, Sky, Big Bird, Sky King, King Cong (I remember he really hated the nickname King Kong or Kong!)

OF-1B-3B-DH 1971-86 Giants, Mets , Padres, Angels, Yankees, Cubs, A's. Led League in hr 79, 82
    All-Star in 1976, 79-80. Kingman could hit baseballs great distances, but disdained defense,
    the fans, and sportswriters - female writers in particular. He was a pitcher at USC before
    coach Rod Dedeaux converted him to the outfield. He played mostly third base and
    first base with the Giants, pitching in a couple of games, played outfield and
    first base with the Mets and Cubs, and became a DH in the American League.

Kong's tremendous home runs (he retired 20th on the all-time list) and sweeping strikeouts
    (he led the NL three times), after which he'd sometimes fall in a 6'6" tangle of arms and legs,
    brought him unwanted attention. People admired his strength, laughed at his awkwardness.
    In 1979 he tied a ML record for HR in two consecutive games (five), and most times hitting
    three or more HR in a game in one season (two). On the other hand, in 1982 he tied a
    ML record by striking out five times in a nine inning game.

Kingman was a smart and, at one time, fast baserunner, and he had a lightning-quick
    swing with a home run uppercut. He shortened his stroke while with the Cubs in 1979
    (in the "friendly confines" of Wrigley Field) and set career marks in batting average (.288)
    and home runs (a league-high 48). He led the NL in HR with 37 for the 1982 Mets but
    batted just .204. His average dropped to .198 in 1983; with Oakland in 1984, his 35 homers,
    career-high 118 RBI, and .268 average won him AL Comeback Player of the Year honors.
    Kingman's unpredictable, often antisocial behavior and one-dimensional game got
    him traded often; he tied a modern record by playing with four different clubs during the
    1977 season. While with Oakland in 1985, he sent a rat to a female sportswriter.
    In 1986, though he had just come off a 35-HR season, the free agent found no takers.
    (www.baseballlibrary.com)

• Options
    A lurker here. I can't believe the stuff that keeps popping up in people's mail boxes. I recently acquired some cards for my Senators-Twins type collection. Here's a '61 Post Pascual:

• Options
    Some of the first to arrive for my upcoming "Rookies of the '70s" set image

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Nice cards, everybody! HoofHearted, real nice cut on your card - borders intact all the way around. I've come to the conclusion that it's impossible to find cards hand-cut where kids left the border intact, or had any notion of straight line control. Not that I can blame them, as I'd have done no better at such an age.

My dream would be to find unmolested, uncut boxes for bazooka, post, jello etc. of all years, and cut them out "right" with my trusty pair of Fiskars. Of course this would require ignoring the fact that they'd be more valuable left as complete boxes!
  • Options
    My daughters first Christmas
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yaz64

Couldn't get it to show up because I am slightly stoooopid tonight but I got my first vintage slab. I know it's not worth sounding the trumpets over but Yaz is my favorite and I wil be buying more of this awesome (and cheap!) set. Keep posting all your great cards fellas, this is always one of my first stops each morning. Hope you and yours all have a great New Year.
    Rich >>

Here ya go, Rich. (just click on the button with the picture in a frame and paste in the URL of the picture (which you can find by right clicking and selecting "copy image location"))

• Options
    Thanks a bunch ajw - I love that card.
    Rich
    Just glad to be here with everyone.
  • Options
    Just in - didn't cost much - came in a bubble with no cardboard - I was lucky it didn't get cracked.

I'm now at 55% on the set - I've been working on it for almost three years - so ya can see I'm not burning up the world!

I woulda liked a bit better centering R/L - but really super centered cards go for at or above SMR.

BTW Arnie - nice cards!

Happy New Year
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    2 more newbies!

rd

Ken Brett 1948-2003 (George Brett's big brother!)
    LHP 1967, 69-81 Red Sox, Brewers, Phillies, Pirates, Yankees, White Sox, Angels, Twins,
    Dodgers, Royals. All-Star in 1974. Although later overshadowed by younger brother
    George, in 1967 Ken became the youngest pitcher (19 years, one month) to pitch in a WS game.
    He went on to tie the modern record for playing with the most teams (10).
    A three- time 13-game winner, the clever lefty was the winning pitcher while
    representing the Pirates in the 1974 All-Star Game at Pittsburgh.
    A good hitter (.262), he set a record for pitchers in 1973 by homering in four straight
    starts with the Phillies. (www.baseballlibrary.com)

Matt Alexander 1947-
    PR-OF 1973-81 Cubs, Athletics, Pirates. Played in 374 games in 9 seasons.
    Maybe one of the worst offensive players of all-time?
    His nine season batting average was only .214, and only had 4 RBI's in 374 games
    (in nine seasons: no homers only six extra base hits! Yikes!)

• Options
    An upgrade for my basic player set!

• Options

<< <i>An upgrade for my basic player set!

image >>

Thats a sweet sweetness!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Just won:

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    nice payton
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    These are at PSA now, logged in 12/14/2006.

Another upgrade for my WP basic set

This set came in yesterday

Damn I love this hobby!
  • Options
    Chris those Wonder Bread are nice, I almost bid on them myself. They are very tough to find in that condition, I have 10 raw sets and probabaly wouldnt pull a 9 out of any of them.

• Options
    Some more classic Goudey Hof'ers I picked up

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    Thanks Barry - Those Goudeys are sweet, the bad part of this thread is seeing all these great cards and wanting to collect them! Focus Danielson image I still need to post a picture of the Payton I got from you!
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Those Goudeys rock. They look great for the grade, especially the Lombardi, looks like a 4 to me.
  • Options
    Wow - that's a lot of great cards to pick up at one time TB!!

Congratulations - are you doing the set?

I got two emails from guys selling T3s - wish I had some extra money!

Happy New Year and congratulations on your new cards!
    I'm gonna have to sit in the cheap seats again for a long, long time. image

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Some beautiful cards all around!

Stone - have you picked up the Mays or Koufax cards yet for your 63 Fleer set?
  • Options
    80's, Cute little munchkin up there, congrats.

• Options
    Neat Ruth ladder, and nice Goudeys TB! Love the Goudeys of 33-34. image
  • Options
    Nice stuff! It'd be cool to pool all of our collections in one place to enjoy. It'd be a MOSH pit! image

While we're on the Goudey theme, here are a couple Senators I picked up recently for my type collection. I had set up JustSnipe to bid on four '34 Goudeys, but fortunately only two bids won!

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    IT. IS. HERE!

Please allow this to serve as an example to all of you who are working on sets (be it vintage or modern).

This sucker took me about 15 years to complete. While I'll upgrade maybe 10% of my set, it is still a complete set.

I can't even begin to express my emotions. Well for one, I'm not eloquent enough image

But seriously, you don't know how many times said fook this and give up, only to find myself buying again. The frustration I've felt being out bid on key cards over and over and over and over (get the point yet?) again. But you know what? Time was on my side...

Felt a little burnt out? No biggie.. Take a some time away.. They were still there.. Waiting...

If it's something you've had your heart set on, don't ever give up.

I know this sounds really dorky but I'm so proud of myself image

I want each and every one of you to know how this feels.

It feels sooooooooooooo good image

Beers on me image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see the founding father of this thread post new additions again! Nice cards Stone
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

<< <i>Some beautiful cards all around!

Stone - have you picked up the Mays or Koufax cards yet for your 63 Fleer set? >>

No to both - I usually don't find one centered nice for a good price - I'm being very patient.

Thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    stown - congratulations! That's a gorgeous set. I'll have to settle for the Heritage version.

Stone - good luck with the rest of the 63 Fleer. I really like the fact that it's a very reasonable sized set to go after. I'd love to go for a 59 Topps set but 600 cards? Ouch!
  • Options

<< <i>I know this sounds really dorky but I'm so proud of myself image >>

You should be. That's a great card, of a great man, from a beautiful and important set. Really nice for a 5.

• Options
    Congratulations stown....awesome card and awesome set! Im happy for you.
  • Options
    Congrats Stown ! You have a beautiful final piece to a great set.
    I am also sloooowy building the 55 set, Maybe in 5 years mine will be done as well.

Congrats !image

• Options

<< <i>This sucker took me about 15 years to complete >>

Wow!

Congratulations Stown.

Your discipline, passion and diligence motivated you to your goal of completion.

Discipline is the "bridge" between goals and accomplishment.

Nothing "dorky" about this - that's why we come here every day - it's what we do.

After all - what's more dorky? This? Or trying to squeeze a tiny white ball into an insufferably small hole? image

Happy New Year
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, I sincerely do appreciate it.

Hopefully this accomplishment can give inspiration to those considering giving up on their set because it's taking so gosh darn long. Finishing sets isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. Doesn't matter if it's 50 years old or brand spanking new, it's something that YOU want to achieve as a collector.

When I first started working on this set, I had maybe 25 cards from my father, with the only key one being the Koufax. I was about 17 and didn't think there was a snowball's chance in hades that someday I would be able to finish it. Every month, I watched the Clemente go up in Beckett EVERY SINGLE MONTH starting at about $500. There were conspiracy theories that James was sitting on a ton of these (which I still believe to this day). I've probably placed over 50 bids and/or snipes (that never got executed) on the Clemente. This one, ironically, was forgotten about because I doubted my snipe would even trigger. The centering is pretty good for a '55 and corners are somewhat sharp; figured there wasn't a chance. Glanced at my crackberry about an hour after the auction to see I had won image Assuming it was too good to be true, I didn't get my hopes up until the card that has eluded me for so many years was in my hot little hands.

I cannot put a dollar figure on this set because it means so much to me. It's something I'm truly proud of and I hope everyone here gets to experience the emotions I went through.

Good stuff image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I wanted my 2500th post to be to this thread, Even though I didnt get this in the mail today it is on the way !