Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1984 Donruss Baseball - the unofficial but legal thread

Comments

• Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Here is a group of (153) 1984 Donruss PSA 9 that I would sell for $525 delivered.

I will break this group and sell individual cards for $5.50 plus exact USPS shipping.

Please PM me if you are interested. I would also trade for PSA 9s stars from this set that I need.

Thanks,
    Soren

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    pm sent
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Munch just picked up the nice Gary Carter PSA 10!

I picked up about 10 upgrades in the last couple of days. But, I'll add most of them when I receive them.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

Is it just me or does ul washington always have something in his mouth. The 84 don looks like a sucker lol and 81 topps its a toothpick. Others?
  • Options
    If I remember correctly U.L. or is it U. for short.....always played with a toothpick in his mouth.....some players chewed tobackie...others chewed gum...some a combination of both and then there were the toothpick guys......
  • Options
    Hey Arny,

Yup, I just picked up a Gary Carter PSA 10 on Ebay. He's one of my '86 Mets heros so I am glad to get him.

Jason

Oh, and I just broke open my 84D factory set. Some blocks were horribly off center and others had some great cards to submit. A lot of the rated rookies were welll centered. The Tim Teufel and Kevin McReynolds have a shot at being 9's or 10's. I'll update with more results when I sort out the best of my stack tomorrow or friday.
    Seeking 1984 Donruss PSA 10

Unopened 1975 material

UL Magic the Gathering
  • Options
    Munch, any new 'gradeable' cards from that bust?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>Munch, any new 'gradeable' cards from that bust? >>

Yes, but I still have to resift throught he best ones and I promise to list the potentials here. I've just been working too much these last two days (30 hours this fri, sat, sun)

Jason
    Seeking 1984 Donruss PSA 10

Unopened 1975 material

UL Magic the Gathering
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Alright, you got me wanting to do this set now. I just purchased some off Ebay (BINs) for a decent price, I would like to start out with collecting catcher cards, already have Parrish and just bought Gedman and Yeager. Without looking at someone's set registery pictures can you let me know which cards have some nice action shots with catchers. I know the Ozzie Virgil is another, what other ones are in the set.

Thanks!!
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Sting - I can get you to 25% complete in psa 9 real quick and at a very fair price..........pm me if interested.

Bill
  • Options
    stupid page bump
  • Options
  • Options
    got back a submission from PSA today.....it was only ten cards but here is one that was returned to me....also Arny I mailed out the two cards today. You should have them by the end of the week. .image
  • Options
    Al, I wouldn't have been surprised if that Sutter came back a 10, but it's a VERY solid 9 for sure!

And, thanks for the cards! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    al can you see any reason why that sutter didnt pull a 10? perfect centering.
    Bob
  • Options
    Thanks Al and rvc for the recent purchases. You both should have them shortly if you haven't received them already. Good luck on the crossover.

Soren
  • Options
    I am sure that this has been asked a billion times, but what is PSA's policy on grading factory cards. Do they come back as "do not meet minimin sizing standards" or do they still grade them. I have an 84 Donruss Lance Parrish that I can see is smaller than the other 84s.

Thanks,

Kirk
  • Options
    Kirk, I sent a couple in last week. We'll see.

It's a mix...sometimes they come back as 'too small to grade' and other times they don't.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    My first 10:

• Options
    Congrats Kirk! Nice Lahti.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I am officially hooked!!image
  • Options
    It's easy to be hooked by the most beautiful set of the 1980's! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Both the Lahti and Sutter are what it's all about - clean. wide-bordered beauties that are nuts-on centered. Doesn't get any better than this!

Bill
  • Options
    Hey guys, another question, why is it that I see the Yaz/Bench Living Legends card labeled at #8 on cards that I have seen on Ebay??

EDIT: Never mind I never figured it out, it is #8 in order after all the checklist cards.

2nd EDIT: Now I feel stupid, it is not even a #8 it is a 'B'!!
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    Hi guys,

I have a stack of psa 9 84 Donruss that I would love to pass on to one or some of you rabid 84 D. collectors.

I have

75, 113, 114, 115, 150, 240, 274 Piniella, 285, 308, 359, 394, 429, 439, and 603.

$4.00 each delivered or $53 delivered for the lot.

Happy collecting!

B
  • Options
    PM Sent.
  • Options
    Wanted if anyone has an extra one, Kent Takulve card in PSA 9 or 10. That has to be one of my favorite cards from this set, that I have seen to this point.

Thanks,

Kirk
  • Options
    Bkritz --- PM sent.
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    Okay... I've officially caved.....

Just bought 24 PSA 9's from Bkritz (thanks, Brian!) .... I'm officially taking on these BEAST of a set. I've got a lot of high grade raw to self-submit, but will need to piece it out slowly as it's a huge project.

Good to be a part of the crew ....

-Tom
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    Congrats, BlindFlyer! You are on the way. My post is null and void as he has cleaned me out of psa 9s. I have a few 10s on ebay now for those who are interested.
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    welcome aboard blind flyer
    Bob
  • Options
    The group of '84 guys here are great, so enjoy the journey!

Bill
  • Options
    Glad to have you join Blindflyer. I'll have a few PSA 9's available shortly.....you'll enjoy the thread.....Check a few pages back and take a look at the Sutter card......let me know if you need that one and we can work something out.......al.
  • Options
    Tom, for some reason I haven't seen this set as a 'beast'. Now, that might be because of the fact that I've been putting together the '72 set which is truly a friggin' beast! image

I've worked on this set a lot longer than the '72 set, but it's been a slow and steady journey. It's definitely a beautiful set and worthy of collecting in high grade. So, welcome aboard and we look forward to you posting your scans and sharing your stories!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Welcome aboard blindflyer, hope you get some good greads on your raw!! Keep us updated!!
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the support guys!

I do have a few initial questions.

1. Do any of you have an excel spreadsheet I could use to organize my '84 set. I can always make one (like I did for my '60 set), but I thought if someone had it they could just send it my way. My email addy is just my user name here at yahoo.com.

2. In terms of cost effectiveness, it seems that buying them already graded is the way to go. With members parting with PSA 9's for around $4 per card, how is it worth submitting yourself. I've got three raw sets I've been pulling some gems out of and planned on slabbing --- but even with the special it's gonna cost close to $6 per card to self-submit when you factor in shipping. Is there a way to bring this cost down? Why do you guys sell at $4 per --- do you just decide to take the loss or do you get some sort of bulk rate from PSA?

I'm looking forward to learning which cards are tough to get in high grade (already know about the Stanton) as I've read through the thread.

Cheers to '84 Donruss!

-Tom
    - Building these sets:
  • Options

<< <i>
    2. In terms of cost effectiveness, it seems that buying them already graded is the way to go. With members parting with PSA 9's for around $4 per card, how is it worth submitting yourself. I've got three raw sets I've been pulling some gems out of and planned on slabbing --- but even with the special it's gonna cost close to $6 per card to self-submit when you factor in shipping. Is there a way to bring this cost down? Why do you guys sell at $4 per --- do you just decide to take the loss or do you get some sort of bulk rate from PSA? >>

$5 per card is the best rate I've seen publically available. I'd say the biggest reason for selling at $4 per (or less) is that is probably the going rate on larger groups, especially when the buyer is taking on duplicates.

If your selling nines that you submitted for $4 per card, you are losing money on a per card basis. But if you pulled enough tens to offset the loss you may still end up ahead on the aggregate.

The example would be take a $100 factory set. Submit 50 cards costing $275. You may get 10 8s, 30 9s, 10 10s. Depending which players you got in PSA 10, you could still come out ahead selling 9s for $4.

I'd leave it to BOTR to determine if a 20% 10 rate is realistic at all? From the pop report it looks like around 16% get 10s.

Self submitting becomes a critical skill.
  • Options
    If no one beats me to it, I'll try and send you a spreadsheet link for 84D.

I started my set just as you have; buying psa 9's below 'cost' (grading/shipping fees plus cost of card). It's cost effective to do it this way. However, here's the gamble - it's a risk/reward kind of thing on submissions. As an example, my first sub of 44 84D's several years ago netted 3 tens, 18 eights, and the rest nines. Since I defined early on that I wanted psa 9's or better, the 8's were lost money, the 9's ok, and the 10's a bonus, to which later I sold to cover the costs of the 8's. So, if you 10 on card in a sub, you'll gain 'value', as would sell for more than grading fees (obviously depending on what card). If you 9, I call that a break-even (or small plus/minus based again on what card. The 8's had zero value to me, not that they are worthless but because they didn't fit my profile of the set. When I got close to finishing (about 85 % or so I HAD to submit because I couldn't find already slabbed alternatives). Hitting 'good' subs took me awhile to acquire, just to get down the nuances of this set. I can get goods subs at present but I'll guarantee you it didn't happen overnight! It took a lot of time and patience to develope the necessary eye for subbing these.......

Why do people sell 9's below grading costs? Lot's of reasons - to move inventory; getting out/switching sets; making money on 10's so sacrificing small $ on 9's - the list goes on. This isn't just true with 84D but with many, many sets from 1970's to present.

Hope this helps.........Bill

• Options
    Great response guys, thanks!

Bug... I'm basically where you were at the beginning. I want a PSA 9 set. To date, I've only got 3 cards sitting at PSA (Mattingly, Carter, O.Smith). Perhaps I'll submit another 25 with the current special as a "test batch" to see how keen my eye is currently. It'll be a good learning experience no matter the results.

FYI, I fully expect the Mattingly to pull a 9. I am optimistic with the Carter and Ozzie.

Hmmm.... guess I need to get that test batch ready.

Thanks again, guys.

-t
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    Bug and I both were attempting to complete the set in all 9s and picking up 10s here and there. We had the same philosophy....except I didn't do any self submissions. It just seems too tough to go through a lot of packs and/or factory sets to try and pull decently centered cards. But, now that I'm sitting at nearly complete, I decided to do a couple of self submissions to both test my 'grading eye' and to try and pull a few tough 9s to finish off the set.

With you and Kirk starting at nearly the same point, just be sure to try and work together as much as possible in picking up graded lots or groups of cards that can speed up the process for you.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    ... Just acquired another 26 PSA 9's .... this time from Sagard....

That puts me at 50 PSA 9's on the nose ... not a bad start.

Two more questions:

1. There are 689 cards in the Master set, correct? How many in the Basic set?
    2. When I set up my Registry, should I create a registry for both "Basic" and "Master" and, when I update one, does it update both? Which do I update?

Thanks guys!

-t
    - Building these sets:
  • Options

<< <i>Bug and I both were attempting to complete the set in all 9s and picking up 10s here and there. We had the same philosophy....except I didn't do any self submissions. It just seems too tough to go through a lot of packs and/or factory sets to try and pull decently centered cards. But, now that I'm sitting at nearly complete, I decided to do a couple of self submissions to both test my 'grading eye' and to try and pull a few tough 9s to finish off the set.

With you and Kirk starting at nearly the same point, just be sure to try and work together as much as possible in picking up graded lots or groups of cards that can speed up the process for you. >>

Don't worry to much about me guys, mine will be a slow, slow process. Do not have the expendable cash right now to buy to much more that a few week, if that. So I can tell you right now I will buying mostly the common PSA 9s, hopefully with a few PSA 10s mixed in. I can tell from what I have purchased so far, there seems to be a 50/50 of graded wax and cards from sets. I have to admit though, I do like the ones with the wider border from wax. I hate to say it, but I always have the feeling, when I get a card graded that I know is from a set break, how do I know this was not a card from wax the had some bad corners that was maybe trimmed down?? I know it is not really going to happen, I just wonder if the graders could actually tell the difference. Which brings me to a question, is there a way besides the smaller borders on the front to tell if a card is from a factory set. Sorry for the long ramblings guys.

Kirk
  • Options
    Thanks Al! image

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    By the way, for those of you just starting out on the set.....Morty has a bunch in his eBay store (Morty's Sportscards) for an affordable price. I would take a look at the pops on most of them and if there are some that are less than 6 or 7 out there, might want to pick those up.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Hi Guys, I currently have for sale (31) Different PSA 9 1984 Donruss cards. Most of these are Hall of Famers and the most valuable cards in the set. I also have (2) PSA 8 cards and (9) autographed 1984 Donruss cards for sale. Take a look at the list and let me know if you can use any of the cards. PM me or email me at nbdowney@msn.com with your list. Thanks for looking. Neil

Qty. No. 1984 Donruss PSA
    1 12 Ray Knight - DK - Steel 9
    2 32 Tony Fernandez - RR 9
    3 41 Joe Carter 9
    4 47 Eddie Murray 9
    5 48 Robin Yount 9
    6 51 Dave Winfield 9
    7 53 George Brett 9
    8 55 Gary Carter 9
    9 57 Reggie Jackson 9
    10 59 Ozzie Smith 9
    11 60 Nolan Ryan 9
    12 61 Pete Rose 9
    13 68 Darryl Strawberry 9
    14 106 Cal Ripken Jr. 9
    15 107 Paul Molitor 9
    16 111 Steve Carlton 9
    17 116 Tom Seaver 9
    18 151 Wade Boggs 9
    19 183 Mike Schmidt 9
    20 248 Don Mattingly 9
    21 254 Doug Flynn 9
    22 302 Carlton Fisk 9
    23 311 Ryne Sandberg 9
    24 324 Tony Gwynn 9
    25 348 Mike Marshall 9
    26 352 Rod Carew 9
    27 355 Joe Morgan 9
    28 576 Jim Palmer 9
    29 625 Running Redbirds - Ozzie Smith 9
    30 639 Dennis Eckersley 9
    31 B Living Legends - Bench/Yaz 9

Qty. No. 1984 Donruss PSA
    1 274 Lou Piniella 8
    2 607 Hubie Brooks 8

Qty. No. 1984 Donruss Autographed
    1 NNO Mike Stenhouse - Rated Rookie Black Sharpie
    2 27 Joel Skinner - Rated Rookie Blue Sharpie
    3 28 Tom Dunbar - Rated Rookie Blue Sharpie
    4 33 Angel Salazar - Rated Rookie Blue Sharpie
    5 36 Brad Komminsk - Rated Rookie Blue Sharpie
    6 40 Mike Fuentes - Rated Rookie Blue Sharpie
    7 44 Sid Fernandez - Rated Rookie Blue Sharpie
    8 45 Brian Dayett - Rated Rookie Blue Sharpie
    9 648 Duke Snider - HOF Diamond King Blue Sharpie
  • Options
    Neil, PM sent....al.
  • Options
    Hi Guys, I just listed 28 of the PSA 9 1984 Donruss cards on Ebay. My Ebay name is rugrats. Good luck if you decide to bid on any of the cards. Thanks, Neil
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    That's wacky....both Flanagan and Manning happen to be kinda tough for the set, so interesting that they are both 'in' on this one. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Looks like someone had one two many tequilas when they were slabbing that baby!!!image