Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Since there is no signature cuts feedback forum, I'll let everyone know that Garret did a great job with communications and turnaround.

I sent my card express mail from NJ on Sept 2 and had it back express mail on Sept 16.

Great Job!!!

• Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    *cough* and that's too Canada and back. image

I'll have to make a testimonials section on the website some time soon.

anywho.. back to your regular scheduled mail call postings. image
  • Options
    Non-sports. I picked up a set of these from a guy in England. This just fascinates me; a card of Winston C. as a mere MP:

And, more golf!!!

And since no one responded to my question (connection between Oscar R. and Hoosiers) of several months ago, a story!!!
    The movie Hoosiers is based on the championship season of the Milan High School (Indiana) team, in 1954. During their run through the Indiana high school tournament, the Milan Giants played a team from Indianapolis Crispus Attucks High School. Attucks was the last segregated high school in Indy. That team featured a sophomore guard, Oscar Robertson. Milan beat Attucks, won the championship, and then they made a movie about them. That was the last game that Attucks lost for at least two years, as Oscar led them to two straight championships. That marked the end of the rural Indiana high school dominance of high school basketball, and the rise of urban high school dominance. Thank you for listening.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    I love bargains. Picked this up for $1.

• Options
    That Gene Simmons card is the coolest thing I've ever seen. No lie.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Casey Card NJ!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks, Mike. We'll see if the boys down in Newport Beach think so, too!
  • Options
    Another soiled pearl! Was snow-white when autographed 15 years ago . . .

Is this an example of the Haiti ball to which you referred, Mike?
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    That Churchill card is totally cool. Assuming they have the same style of artwork, I'd like to see more stuff from that set, Mac.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Technically this arrived on Saturday, but I didn't have time to scan it (too busy scanning for my auctions) until now:

This is one of those "I'll be burried with it" type cards for me.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    How come they do not assign a grade to the card even with the autograph?
  • Options
    Stingray-
    When you submit to PSA/DNA, you have the option of grade or authenticate. Some people select authenticate for older cards that will grade low. I personally like to have the grade. To each his own.

Meathook-
    The discussion on the brown Haiti balls comes straight from the SMR magazine. Yours looks like it fits the era.
  • Options
    Stingray:

Not only can the autographed card be graded as well but the autograph itself can receive a grade if requested.

That's a great card.. I love signed Rookie Cards. Some people don't like it because it's pen marks on a valuable card but I think they're great. You would think Roy would have done it a little nicer though considering he collects himself and knows full well that this is his rookie card and not just any 'ol $1 card.
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I've always felt that an autograph on a good or expensive card is it's own form of a C of A. Why whould someone ruin a valuable card with a phony signature? As for the Roy, I picked it up on eBay in it's "Authentic" form, and am thinking about sending it back to PSA for actual grading, as I think it has a chance for an 8, which I'd be fine with. The signature is nicer than what shows up in the scan, but since it's blue ink on the dark part of the card it's not going to show up well in a scan.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    ^ Do you happen to know the cost for sending in a slabbed autographed card labeled as "Authentic" to be re-slabbed with a grade? Shouldn't it just be the normal $8 fee for grading?
  • Options
    Hey Mac
    Cool golf card - the Abe looks like a golfer.

Is that a type card or do you have a set? I don't think I have a single vintage golf card. I think I have an 80 or 81D set somewhere in OC'land!

thanx for sharing.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I realize it's modern, but . . .

• Options
    Wow!!! I remember pulling that Payton from packs back in 78.

Nice card!
  • Options
    One of my personal favorites . . .

• Options
    This one is just back from PSA and I was very happy with the grade!

I got 3 others and 2 boxers.

mike
    edit:
    This one was a disappointment - there is faint marks of some kind that may have been erased so finely that it was hard to pick up - didn't get past the eagle eye of PSA though.

Mike
  • Options
    Your latest T3s are always a treat to see Mike. Thanks for shareing, have you put them in the registry yet?
  • Options

<< <i>Your latest T3s are always a treat to see Mike. Thanks for shareing, have you put them in the registry yet? >>

Yes Garret
    I now have 12 on the T3 and 2 on the T9 Registry.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    This came today

It is in a PSA 7 holder. I now have 14 PSA 7, 17 PSA 6 and 1 PSA 5 towards the set with one to be graded. I have three (Mays, Reese, Snider) of the big four (Berra) now. It is starting to get harder and harder to finish this set as there are only a handful <20 of the commons graded. Certainly a challenge, and I'm not putting together a high grade set. I'll never touch the top of the registry.

Tom

By the way, love those Turkey Reds. Someday I'll scrape together enough to get on for my collection. Keep posting those!!
  • Options
    tk - nice Joe Orlando....I mean Duke Snider. image

Got this today....just a common but I love a 10 for my registry set. This makes 26 in my 72 set.

Got this yesterday....1/1 none higher....possibly one of the toughest cards in the 69 opc first series.

57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options

<< <i>nice Joe Orlando >>

Nice Tom. image

Great stuff Bob.
  • Options
    There certainly is a resemblance, eh!?
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭
    The Payton is beautiful. I only wish PSA would be more consistent with labeling "special" cards (scoring leader, all-star, etc) as such. I thought it was only a problem with hockey but obviously it isn't.

BTW, ol' Al Hrabosky looks like Will Ferrell from the "cowbell" skit. (But we've already had our SNL thread, RIGHT??)
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Finally back from PSA after nearly 2 months...

imageimageimage

By the way, if anyone has more Shirriff coins, I have long been seeking a Rocky Colavito as well as Norm Cash & Al Kaline coins. Buy or trade.
    PM or e-mail

• Options
    That T3 Out at Third is spectacular. What a shot!
  • Options
    Stone, Beautiful T3's.
    Do you mind if I ask when your submission was received by PSA? I've got a batch of 17 T3's apparently sitting on a shelf somewhere at PSA (received August 8th) -- only technically 3 days "late" now because of show-related blackout days. Still, I grow anxious...
  • Options

<< <i>Stone, Beautiful T3's.
    Do you mind if I ask when your submission was received by PSA? I've got a batch of 17 T3's apparently sitting on a shelf somewhere at PSA (received August 8th) -- only technically 3 days "late" now because of show-related blackout days. Still, I grow anxious... >>

Not at all - here ya go:

Date Received: 08/31/2005
    Date of Grades Posted: 09/15/2005
    Date Shipped: 09/15/2005

I've had them since Monday.

What do you plan to do with the cards? Selling? Trading? LMK.

thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    This is my best pull from a 1983T vending box - the baseball card guy in the sky granted me one half way decent card - centering on this lot was the worst I have encounted in years!

Still, I think this is a nice card.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Hey, beautiful card. The Sandbergs I've pulled have had a curious black vertical streak running the length of the card. You going to grade or keep raw?

'83s I've purchased have had horrible centering, as well. Salvaged a Gaylord Perry that came back 10. On eBay as we speak. Aside from that, little luck.

From your posts, it sounds like you were excited about assembling the '83 Topps set.

• Options
    Mike,

I'm impressed. You go from T3s to 1983s. I would pay money to see your collection.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike,

I'm impressed. You go from T3s to 1983s. I would pay money to see your collection. >>

Thanx for the kind words - I would be proud to show my collection.
    I'm working on my hobby room and will take dig pics when done.
    I'm across the board from sports related whiskey decanters like Jim Beam to Hartlands, new and old, to autos, GU bats/jerseys, baseball board games, press pins, toppsvault art, etc. I have a rare 68 sports illustrated original poster still in its plastic shield to pennants and other crap too numerous to mention.

Plus, from the days of collecting with my son, I think I have largest collection of 1992 and 91UD cards on the planet!!! image

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Hey, beautiful card. The Sandbergs I've pulled have had a curious black vertical streak running the length of the card. You going to grade or keep raw?

'83s I've purchased have had horrible centering, as well. Salvaged a Gaylord Perry that came back 10. On eBay as we speak. Aside from that, little luck.

From your posts, it sounds like you were excited about assembling the '83 Topps set. >>

NJ
    The set will be raw, so centering is irrelevant. The first box I looked thru was awful. I got a Gwynn RC that was very OC but will look good in a binder.

I doubt if I get the Ryno graded - tho if it were to come back a 10? Hmmmmm.

thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    that ryno is stunning....
  • Options

Just got this one in the mail. Let me know if image does not come through.

Stingray
  • Options

<< <i>image

Just got this one in the mail. Let me know if image does not come through.

Stingray >>

No image Sting

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I have problems when I save pictures on to my computer and then putting them on a post for some reason. Must be missing a step? I can see it on my computer when I post the image, but not when I go to a different computer.

Stingray
  • Options

<< <i>I have problems when I save pictures on to my computer and then putting them on a post for some reason. Must be missing a step? I can see it on my computer when I post the image, but not when I go to a different computer.

Stingray >>

That's correct. Pics will even show up from your file on your computer but they are not properly "hosted" on the internet.

Where is the pic being hosted?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I just save a copy on to my computer and then cut and paste properties into the image bar on the bar above were I do messages.

Stingray
  • Options
    Collecting - n2, n13, n28, n29, n43, n162, n184, t3, t6, t9, t200, tobacco albums, tobacco advertising cards, tobacco banners (that picture the 19th century card sets).
  • Options
    Thanks Knuckles! Lets try this.

• Options

<< <i>How do I post a pick in the body of the message without a link? >>

Go to photobucket.com make an account.. upload the images you want to post.. copy the URL for the image... click on the picture icon which is right beside the U when typeing a message here.. and paste the url for the image in the box that pops up and click ok.
  • Options
    This just in...another tough 1st series 69 opc.

#4 Savard RC

57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35