Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    Golfcollector- Are those from your own submissions or did you buy them graded? Thats one of the better centered Hogan's I've ever seen...
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

David
    This card is just too cool!!!! Those are some great Hagen, Hogen, Jones cards!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Way OT on this thread, but I was wondering how you display a lot of your items Mike. I also am pretty eclectic when it comes to baseball stuff, and I know that no matter how large a house is, it only has so many walls and closets. My wife understands my obsession (thank God), but I know that there has to be a time when we ask ourselves "What the heack am I doing here....?" when some of the best treasures you find are your own buried under some stuff you socked away in 83...(plus I wanted to be the 500th post lol) >>

That's a great question and I'm working on it as we speak. I have had a bunch of stuff framed and am pulling stuff out. I bought two great wall mounted bat racks from Sports Displays and I will be requesting they make me a glass frame for 66 PSA holders if they will "custom" build it. I choose their product over others since this one has glass over it which protects the cards. I'm still working on a few other ideas - I will be looking into some kind of angled rack to display flat thin boxes which are games - perhaps - and am looking into a few commerical counter display companies in town - a nice used glass encased lighted display e.g.

I'm lucky enough to have a small built-in corner shelf which has my sports related whiskey decanters, autographed books, balls - I was going to put Hartlands there but I don't like the way they look.

I plan to take photos and post them when I'm done - I would guess it will take about 6-8 months to complete.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    They were from my own submission. I bought a hoard of stuff from a guy in England. Complete 1927 Churcham small size set of 50, the 1st and 2nd sereis large size set of 12, a 1923 Copes Golf Strokes set of 32 and the creme de la creme, a complete 1900 Copes Golfers.

I had the Tom Morris junior and Senior cards graded first and they are definately not the best in the lost

The Hogan I picked up at the National in a cash trade deal I also have one of the one 2 psa 8 no panel cards graded.

The Snead RC is SUPER TOUGH. I am wondering if PSA would remove the qualifier and give it a straight 7. I sold 2 PSA 3's of the Snead RC. Both for $225-$325 range. I can't imagine what this one would be worth, but I ain't sellin.....

Dave
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Dave,
    Those golf cards look great. The Churchmans look brand new.

Mike,
    Speaking of collecting baseball games, I have a friend the owns 3 baseball related pinball machines. Of course he acquired these after he was divorced, but its always fun to visit him!
  • Options
    golfcollector - those churchmans are beautiful. i've never even considered collecting vintage golf but these might change my mind.
    Slowly but surely working on:
    • Kirby Puckett
    • Al Newman
    • Al Toon
    • Troy Bell
    • Trish Stratus
    • 1965 Topps BB
    • 1987 Topps FB Auto'd
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭

Those golf cards are great.. awesome grades for such old cards.

Mike,

Are you going to charge admission for people to come over to see everything? image Sounds very nice, can't wait to see the pictures.

- Garret
  • Options
    Mike,

Are we going to see your collection in this book when it comes out at the end of the month?

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Can't wait for that book to come out!

Just won this one, one of the few game action shots in 75:

Stingray
  • Options

<< <i>Mike,

Are we going to see your collection in this book when it comes out at the end of the month?

>>

tkd
    I wish! My stuff is humble next to that kind of memorabilia.

Sting
    Nice card. I don't collect the 75Ts - didn't realize that there's not a lot of action shots.

Altho a lot of people don't like "shiny cards" - if anyone here collects modern, like me, will attest to the fact that Fleer Ultra - with the UV coating - had some of the best action shots that were clear as a bell!!!

I like the vintage stuff but the photos on the newer issues are just plain better. Also, I like to see players today. I never saw Mickey Cochrane play but I did see Andruw Jones hit his 50th "steroid free" HR yesterday!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

I agree about modern stuff. For just collecting cards for cards sake, I think there is a lot to be seen in some of the less glamourous cards. I think the Topps Stadium Club cards had great action shots and the Pro Set Football cards had a great mix of action shots. I can still pick up those cards and flip through them and appreciate them just for the photos and forget about the value.

But as you've seen from my posts, I also love the history of sport and use this vintage stuff as a gateway to the past.

Tom
  • Options
    1992 UD Baseball, bought set just for the photograpy, one of the best in my opinion.

In fact all of UD sets have great photos, heck on the basketball (92-93) you can see the faces of people in the stands clearly.
  • Options
    This is a great topic and you guys have shown some terrific cards so far

This is my first attempt at posting pics so hopefully it goes well

I'll try to show some cards i've recieved back from PSA and some i've won on Ebay

• Options
    Wow , it worked but it sure is a bit fuzzy huh
  • Options
    Stadium Club sets had some great photography as did the last Pinnacle Zenith set, 1998 I think? The early 90's are some of my favorite sets like 1991 Stadium Club, 1992 Ultra, 1992 and 1994 Pinnacle, and 1991 Studio. There are many others but those stand out for me.

Nothing new in the mail lately, I'm waiting for a Mantle autograph from the latest Clean Sweet auction but that's about it. The Judy Johnson and McCarthy were recent additions.
  • Options
    Here are a couple I picked up awhile back. Just thought I would post them and get your opinion as to why PSA won't seperate to the two variations. The borders are obviously reversed of eachother. One is from the fact. set and one from wax.

PSA said that since it is not a high $ card they wouldn't reconingze the var.

My thought is that if it is a var. and somebody (me) wants to reconigize it as such then they should. Agree/Disagree?
  • Options
    Mike, I think that one is from a factory set and the other is from packs. Which is which I do not recall though. Donruss did something similar in 1990 with different paint splatters on the factory set cards as well as in 1991 with different stripes on the borders. Plus the flipped around card backs in 1987 and other years too.

I have an odd 1988 Donruss Puckett I will scan later on, looks like it might have been cut from something but what I do not know. It's a different picture than any other Pucketts from that year and the back is missing the number and black stripe across the top.
  • Options
    Dave: awesome golf cards. Love those Copes.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    I have four of these, in various conditions. They have more of a glossy surface on the front when compared with the standard set and appear to have been hand cut from a larger sheet, perhaps some kind of cardboard backed rak pack. I got three from the same person as part of a trade at the Carlisle car show flea market (PA) back in 1988 and found a fourth in the quarter box from a seller at the Tacony-Palmyra flea market (NJ) back in 1991 or 1992. I recall someone sending in pics to Beckett's Reader's Write column several years ago asking about it but I don't think I ever found a solid answer about the origin of the cards. As I said, they appear to be hand cut but done very well which is especially odd since all four came from two different sellers.

• Options
    brumbach,
    That is a 1988 Donruss Blister Pack Puckett card. It was on the blister pack and had to be either hand cut or it was the front card on the blister pack. I don't know for sure which is the case. It is listed in the beckett annual almanac. I think it carries a 1.00 value. I just sent one of mine into PSA with the August special.
    Thanks,
    Jason
  • Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    This is non-sport, but damn I like this card. The very first PSA 10 ever graded in the set!

RobBob
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• Options
    RobBob, Red X here.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    My wife bought me this today. In her honor I am again using her pic as my avatar.

1979 All Star Game ball w/ Schmidt, Carlton, Boone and Bowa autos, in ball point. Seller guarantees PSA/DNA cert. All four players were elected to start in the game.

Sure the balls dirty but that just means I won't have the urge to toss it around.

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    Nice baseball Philly. Is that one of those Haiti balls that is proned to staining? The signatures are great. I think multi theme balls like that are very cool.
  • Options
    Thanks.

Is that what the discoloring is, stains? I figured it was used in practice or maybe the game.

Don't have the ball in hand yet so can't really tell.

What's the story with the stained balls?

Pun intended. Take it away, but I'd like to hear the real story also. image

• Options
    Received this card yesterday by Garret.

I obtained this signature in person about 18 years ago. I used to go to the fights at the Blue Horizon in Philadelphia with a friend that was into boxing. In fact, he is now a big time fight judge in NY and NJ. Anyway, he introduced me to Joe who was the most gracious athlete I've met in person. Not only did he sign for me, but he gave me his special Smokin' Joe handshake. He had quite an entourage with him. He was there to watch is son Joe "Puff of Smoke" Jr. box. I had this signature in my desk for years with some papers. I saw what Garret has been doing, and you can see the rest.

I love the B&W photo with Joe's arm extended. I plan to bring it to the Philly show next weekend for PSA/DNA.

imageimage
  • Options
    There is a note in the SMR that 1984-1990 Bobby Brown AL balls with Haiti under the Rawlings logo were made without distilled water, allowing for enzymes to potentially turn the color of the ball over time. Usually you will notice yellow/brown soiling on these balls due to flaws in production.

So I'm not sure if your ball fits in that category, but there is the story of stained balls. As for blue balls, you are on your own there.

Tom
  • Options
    First, please tell me that you are not a Giants fan who lives in the Philly area. At least that you're not a native of the Delaware Valley. image

The Frazier card and auto are excellent. My brother went to college in Glassboro, NJ in the mid 70s. He was involved with the radio station there and an annual charity event. Frazier made an appearance very year and my brother had the same things to say about his attitude. Always happy to help and very friendly.

I'd love to get an auto like that. Looking to get some Ali stuff too.

Get back to Philly a few times a year. The Blue Horizon is still going right? Man, Philly was the middleweight capital of the world at one time, aside from Frazier and Ali living in the area. Then add in Braxton, Saad Muhammad, and some other heavys later and the city has a great boxing history.

Keith
  • Options
    Actually a Northern NJ (Sopranos land) kid that went to school in Philadelphia.

I remember seeing the Blue Horizon fights on TV a while back. It had gone big time with beer ads on the turnbuckles and the canvas. When I went they had an old guy with a cigar hold up the ring cards that got mercilessly booed until the ring girls showed up. Not sure if it is still going on. The fights were great, and it was easy to get a seat in the front row if you showed up early. Definitely had that Rocky feel to it.

I still get back to Philadelphia for basketball at the Palestra. Nothing like it.
  • Options
    Keith
    Great auto ball! And personally, I don't mind the toning of the ball. And the word is the method of making the leather and using regular (?) water.

Still great addition - I don't own a Mike ball but do have a bat - go figure?

tkd
    That's another nice card by knucks! Smokin Joe - saw all the fights on TV!

Now if you want to see dirty? This is a Brett auto - very light - but I can live with it. This is a "game used" ball from his 3000th hit with psa/dna authentication and letter from the ump.

The mud the umps rub the balls down with comes from the mississippi delta.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I can't seem to upload my scan.....help!

• Options
    Berk Ross played golf too???

• Options

<< <i>I still get back to Philadelphia for basketball at the Palestra. Nothing like it. >>

The Big 5 is college basketball like no other. It doesn't matter where those teams are in the NCAA, the Palestra rocks for every game.

Maybe one of these years we'll see a couple of Big 5 teams make serious runs in the NCAA tourney like they did in the 70s and 80s.
    I like them all but Nova and St. Joe's are my favorites.
  • Options
    Mike -

I'll bet you have some great auto'd bats and balls. I'm just getting into it.

<< <i>The mud the umps rub the balls down with comes from the mississippi delta. >>

Just think of the mud that's going to come out of there now. The umps are going to have to wear Tyvek suits when they rub down the balls to protect themselves from the hazardous materials.

• Options
    Don't forget St. Joes run a couple of years ago. A shot or two away from the final four.

I think this season is the 50th anniversary of the Big 5.
  • Options
    Philly: nice autos. And speaking of Philly autos, that Frazier auto is amazing (pant, pant)! Knucks did one heck of a job. Frazier is one of the most underestimated athletes of all time. In any other era, he would have been king. To his misfortune, his era was the same as Ali's.
  • Options

<< <i> that Frazier auto is amazing (pant, pant)! Knucks did one heck of a job. >>

I say we pool our funds and back Knuckles financially.

"Knuckles Cards"

"An auto in every pack.....in fact they're all autos."

"Quality at it's best, never overproduced."

• Options
    It's nice work, no question about it. I have a feeling that Knucks might get some serious financial backing pretty soon. Much better than the extra 75 cents I have in the change cup.
  • Options
    Ok, now I got it. Check this out, the very 1st PSA 10 ever graded in this set.

RobBob

• Options
    Glad to hear you received the Frazier safe and sound Tom. image

<< <i>It's nice work, no question about it. I have a feeling that Knucks might get some serious financial backing pretty soon. Much better than the extra 75 cents I have in the change cup. >>

That would be incredible, how about it Joe O.? image Hell it would be nice to even receive a break on PSA/DNA fees'

Cool Gene Simmons card RobBob.

Garret
  • Options
    Hey Rob,
    Nice Kiss card. Did you buy or submit under the non-sport special? I've got a few non sports to submit.

Knucks,
    Again, great job.
  • Options
    RobBob, beautiful Kiss card! If you're selling it, be sure to PM mefer. He's working on that set in graded form.
  • Options
    Knuckles
    As a way to get in a shameless plug, do you have a website where people can go to see prices or anything else related to you making the cards for other collectors? Definately some great stuff....
  • Options
    I agree.

Garret, Awesome job on the Frazier!

I'm digging the new sig line too. Maybe a little more blood or a chicklet or two. image

Bob
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    Rob
    Nice card! Got any others?

Knucks
    Nice sig line!

mike
    Mike
  • Options

I have to admit....I was a member of the Kiss Army in the late 70s.

Raw three/four chord rock with huge light shows. Saw them 3 times and had all the LPs (caveman CDs for you youngstersimage).

IIII wanna rock and roll all niiiiight......image
  • Options
  • Options
    I remember collecting those cards in 6th grade. You had to like KISS in 6th grade or you were an outsider.

Stingray
  • Options

<< <i>do you have a website where people can go >>

www.signaturecuts.com you can find prices on the order form. image

Mike & Bob,

Thanks image Good idea regarding the chicklet or two. I'll play around with that. image

- Garret