Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice cards. tkd, I love those 206s. Post your grades when you get them, I'd like to see how they come out. >>

Hi Mac
    If you're talking about the T206s - those are in PSA holders.

mike
    Mike
  • OK, I see it nowimage
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff as usual guys.

I got the following stuff in the mail this week.. a Casey Stengel autograph, Joe Louis autograph and a Eddie Shore autograph all were cut outs from plain pieces of paper. I plan on making cards out of all three..

I also got these..

Jacques Plante

1954-55 Toronto Maple Leafs

Garret
    Are you doing these for yourself or are they submissions from some people?

mike
    Mike
    For myself and to sell at the Toronto Expo when I go.
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff, tkd! I'm dying here waiting for my bulk pre-'53 invoice to get graded. I did get this in the mail the other day to hold me over:

I'm closing in on having a whopping 10 percent of the set, but this Graham does at least get me a bit closer to the slightly more realistic goals of St. Louis team sets. Figures, though, that two big variations are St. Louis players.

And, as always, great acquisitions, Knuckles.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Hear is set that I finished last week. My original intention was to get them all the same number. Four nice autos of HOFers.
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Twinsthreepeat, those are great looking cards. Can you post a larger scan so that we can better enjoy them? They appear to be artists' renditions of the players' rookie cards, right?
  • Is that Moonlight Graham?image
    Great stuff guys!

And here is a card that Carew29 picked up - it's an absolute beauty!!!

mike
    Mike
  • Here are a few '52's I've picked up recently.

I've been thinking about possibly building a low grade, but presentable set from 1-310. Got the Bauer for $15 and the Coleman for $6. The color on the Coleman is really nice, with no creases (back damage on both though, thus the price).

If I'm going to build a set, the emphasis would be on eye appeal, color, off white borders (nothing brown), centering within 65/35 and no creases across the center of the card. The backs really don't matter. They'd stay raw, no sense in grading. It could be fun hunting some bargains down, we'll see how things go.
  • 1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a nice one....I regret letting it go. I kept the scan!
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    WOW!!! a 10 from 1913.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Haven't seen one of these for a while. Very nice!

How come only the 2nd post since 2002?

mike
    Mike
    Never really used this PSA msg. board. Had a friend who's into coins tell me about it. Guess I should use it more...I am a pwr. seller on eBay and surely could use this as a good resourse for info and such!!!!
    Here's another one I sold about a month ago.....went way over guide...I think around $125!!! I have a hard time hanging on to 10's...they usually get good prices!

<< <i>Never really used this PSA msg. board. Had a friend who's into coins tell me about it. Guess I should use it more...I am a pwr. seller on eBay and surely could use this as a good resourse for info and such!!!! >>

Do you also collect? I have had contact with a few dealers here that do not collect anything. I have a hard time parting with anything I pick up.

And if yes, what?

Also, got a pic/scan of the 1966? What do ya got under the hood?

mike
    Mike
    I do sell on ebay, but also collect. I am trying to put a '59 Fleer Ted Williams graded set together (PSA & SGC nm or better)....I have about 45 of them so far. Also, recently completed a raw '55 Bowman Baseball set....now there are several that need to be upgraded due to condition...just wanted to complete if first!!! The '66 has a 273 engine...it's out right now being freshened up!! Here is a scan!!
  • Cuda,

That's a sweet Cuda! My first car was a 70 cuda with a 318. Man that thing was fast. Blew away my buddies 69 Super Sport no problameo! Wish I hung onto it. The only car I ever saw faster was my brothers 69 GTO. We used to bury the needle up on US95 and I swear the thing was still picking up speed! Literally pinned you back in the bucket seats! LOL

Nice 10's BTW...anything for us hockey nuts?

Bob

57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00

OK
    First one to PM me gets it!!!

This beauty - fixer upper - comes with the "hemi engine" - only needs new pistons, lifters, rods, cam and oil pump!

Best Offer!

Mike
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Hey-
    I've been away for a few days, nice to see all the new posts. Hope to see those auto's when Knuckles turns them into cards.

That's a great Lajoie. And the Carew, I always like it when people post both sides of their card....
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Meathook,

Nice 71 there. I was collecting those in raw a couple of years ago, wish I would have kept them. Can't even remember what I traded them for now.

Stingray
  • Stingray:

You're in luck . . . This beauty is listed on eBay, as we speak!

Got a few other nice 9's I should be listing shortly.

Rick
  • I visited the two local cardshops that had the Topps "Turn back the Clock" football card packs for 5 cents yesterday. I'd never been to either store before. The second one had a great selection of all sports with unopened stuff, singles, etc. available. One display case had a few 50s thru 70s baseball stuff, including this 1963 Jello Mays I couldn't leave without! Well, in fact I did leave the store once, but had to turn back and ask the owner if he took debit card. It's not in the best shape, but I just fell in love with the picture of Willie and had to have it...

hh

edited to add:

Great stuff in this thread. It always takes me a while to catch up with all the fantastic scans and stories. Thanks for all of your efforts in sharing here!
  • 201!!!:

Ernie!!:

Golf!!:

More golf!!:

• By the by, isn't the '66 Cuda the famous "Hemi under glass?"
  • Just picked up this scarce, rare and hard to find, possibly the only copy in existance today! 1972 OPC #342. These were destroyed at the factory! imageimage

57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
    Mac, love that T201 and the vintage golf....

by the way, i think the autographed stickers look good if the card company does it right....

Mike, cool Willie. I've always like Post Cereal Cards. I think that would make an awesome and extremely tough set in PSA at any grade.
  • Nothing too spectacular, but I like it. From DSL at a very fair price . . .

<< <i>By the by, isn't the '66 Cuda the famous "Hemi under glass?" >>

Is that a model? If so, I've seen it.

Nice cards guys! Mac, NJMH, HH.

Did ya ever wonder how much money is spent by the active board members in a year?

Mike
    keeping with the college football theme, i purchased this on ebay last week. haven't received it yet

But $16 for a Penn Cornell Thanksgiving day program from 1931 seemed to good to pass up, especially since I'm a Penn alum.

Penn's football history goes way back. John Heisman was a coach and their stadium, Franklin Field, was the first two tier stadium in the country. It still stands in West Philadelphia and is still the home of Penn football. I'm hoping this program has some nice vintage photography and advertising.
    I am starting to have a rather large collection of the pen and inks from Topps cards.

This one comes from the 81T #632 Alan Bannister.

If anyone has a beat up version, I would love to have it - only the back will be seen when mounted so if it has dings/crease on edges - no big deal.

Thanx
    This thread has been the best - maybe it will get as large as the Ryan thread on the registry?
    mike
    Mike
    Mike,
    Are you buying this art from ToppsVault?

They seem to have alot of this type of stuff on there..very cool

Tom
    tkd
    Cool program! You can see the influence of the "deco" era in it. Penn guy?

I'm a Columbia grad....a lot of people don't realize that U of Penn. is an Ivy League school.

Nice!
    mike
    Mike
    Thanks Mike...

Yeah, I've found that college football programs have the best cover art for the price. As you know, the current Ivy schools played big time football back then and the programs can be found at bargain prices. Yes, I'm a Penn guy. You are right, I'm sure few people know Penn is in the Ivy League. Even fewer know that Rangers shortstop Mark DeRosa played quarterback for Penn or NY Giants starting Fullback Jim Finn played footbll for Penn.

I'll get off my history book for now.......

Go Quakers!!!!!

<< <i>Mike,
    Are you buying this art from ToppsVault?

They seem to have alot of this type of stuff on there..very cool

Tom >>

yes and have bought it back in the early 90s from guys who were at the big Topps "vault" sale at Guernsey's back in 1989.

mike
    Mike

A couple raw dogs . . .

• Couple more raw . . .

• Pete's teeth sure look like THEY'RE from the U.K. in your scan...lol... nice raw stuff hook...
    NJ
    Very nice! On ebay? I like the Robinson but the Pinson looks sweeeeet!

You are a buying machine!!!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike

• << <i>I am starting to have a rather large collection of the pen and inks from Topps cards.

This one comes from the 81T #632 Alan Bannister.

If anyone has a beat up version, I would love to have it - only the back will be seen when mounted so if it has dings/crease on edges - no big deal.

Thanx
    This thread has been the best - maybe it will get as large as the Ryan thread on the registry?
    mike >>

I've always loved the Topps artwork. Nice pick ups, Mike!

BTW, I checked my '81Topps doubles and didn't have the #632 Bannister you needed. Sorry.

hh
    Any Nebraska fans?

I collect sports related whiskey decanters - this one makes 20!

mike
    Mike
    Here's something else that just came in - only paid 10 bucks so I had to have it!

It's a baseball card game similar to all you have ever seen - this one is from 1949 and obviously stuck in a drawer and never used. There's a couple of paper scorecards that have never been written on.
    I rarely see something like this? The card games are usually beat up.

I don't know about you guys but I think this kind of stuff is very cool! Things like this today? Right! No video? No blood? No deal!!!

Mike
  • A whale for my player collection, definately the cornerstone:
    1988 Topps Cloth (Right) It was mailed to me yesterday.

It was a kinder, gentler era where simplistic games were played by children.

This one has never been used - you can see all the holes aren't even punched out - in this case a marble rolls around until it lands in a hole or not.

There's a little bat that you attach at home plate.

I know this is nothing earth shattering but I'm looking for games that were played in an era long forgotten. Were children more naive and "bright eyed" back in the 40-50s? I don't know. But the games sure were different.

thanx for viewing

mike

Mike
  • Nice Swat Baseball Mike
    I started the challenge in the late 80's of trying to accumulate every baseball (then it widened to basketball and hockey with a little golf) boardgame ever made. Once you start to get heavy into it, you would be amazed at the number of obscure games were made with a sports theme. I finally gave up the challenge when I started to see some of the prices of the early McLoughlin Brothers games, and concentrated on post 1920 stuff

<< <i>Nice Swat Baseball Mike
    I started the challenge in the late 80's of trying to accumulate every baseball (then it widened to basketball and hockey with a little golf) boardgame ever made. Once you start to get heavy into it, you would be amazed at the number of obscure games were made with a sports theme. I finally gave up the challenge when I started to see some of the prices of the early McLoughlin Brothers games, and concentrated on post 1920 stuff >>

I have been looking at games that feature interesting graphics and are relatively intact. There are games from the turn of the century, e.g. made by Ethan Allen, that can get expensive.

It ads another dimension to collecting since after a bit, cards, only, gets tiresome since they can get so expensive for one thing.

thanx for the input
    mike
    Mike
  • Way OT on this thread, but I was wondering how you display a lot of your items Mike. I also am pretty eclectic when it comes to baseball stuff, and I know that no matter how large a house is, it only has so many walls and closets. My wife understands my obsession (thank God), but I know that there has to be a time when we ask ourselves "What the heack am I doing here....?" when some of the best treasures you find are your own buried under some stuff you socked away in 83...(plus I wanted to be the 500th post lol)