Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang!!! :o

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    Dang!!! :o

So your saying my $3575 an ounce purchase is getting closer to melt.
    I can live with that... :D

• Options

It just keeps going up! 😦

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭✭

Until it doesn’t

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Never saw one of those before asheland.
    I love the older libertad design over the current one.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    Unexpected gold pick up today, at the time I bought it, I was buying it under melt! But it pulled back enough that I’m over melt a little, but, for $600, I think this was a sweet little pick up: B)

Admittedly, I did not know one of these existed, I didn’t know they were making fractional gold in 1981.

It seems that that year they only did the quarter, the half, and the full ounce, nothing smaller until later on. Definitely an interesting little find.

Looks like a nice grade. Many of the 1980s Libertads (gold and silver) often seem to be pretty beat up.

• Options

Indeed, I’m very happy with this coin! Got a great look!
    Thanks, everybody :)

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

For right around melt, you have a beautiful quarter oz of Gold, with a limited run, with the added bonus of PCGS authentication and the extra liquidity that comes with a TPG.

Well done!

It's all about what the people want...

• Options

@LukeMarshall said:
    For right around melt, you have a beautiful quarter oz of Gold, with a limited run, with the added bonus of PCGS authentication and the extra liquidity that comes with a TPG.

Well done!

Thank you! I just love the thing, I’m trying to find a silver one that is just as pretty in the same grade, but of course that’s gonna cost me up the nose! :D

• Options

Very cool guys!

• Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

And another of the NEVER ENDING Libs!

• Options

@OnlyGoldIsMoney said:
    A 3 oz bar from my stash of old poured bars. Seemingly dated 1977 and no doubt given out to clients by Eden Investments.

I have no idea who produced these bars. Some on ebay have been very optimistically priced IMO.

This is a fantasy piece made by Dennis England around 2010 among various other designs. A 4 oz one just sold on eBay for $2550! His bars, while newer, are insanely collectible for some reason. I sold a 3 Oz “goldbugs” bar for $1900 recently.

• Options

@Downtown1974 said:
    Love those 20 oz. JMs! Nice heft to them.

I was inspired by yours. I’ve always liked them myself. I finally paid up for this one.

I’ve seen the picture of the group of yours recently. I can’t remember where, any chance you could post it again here?

• Options

@asheland said:

@Downtown1974 said:

I was inspired by yours. I’ve always liked them myself. I finally paid up for this one.

I’ve seen the picture of the group of yours recently. I can’t remember where, any chance you could post it again here?

Certainly!
    This one is my favorite.

Here is the trio.

• Options

@Downtown1974 said:

@asheland said:

@Downtown1974 said:

Certainly!
    This one is my favorite.

Here is the trio.

Those are awesome!

I also have one of the earlier kinds like that:

• Options

That’s a great looking bar too. It will go well with your new serial numbered 20 oz.er
    They really are cool. The 3 bars in my pic are part of my permanent collection. I just like them so much so I don’t mind the premium I paid for them. Although with this recent run-up, I’m ahead of the game on paper.
    We have very similar interests in collecting. Pre-33 gold and cool poured silver bars are things I just can’t let go of.
    Im sure you share the same sentiment. I know I’ve kept an eye out for your 1908 Saint with motto on the BST forum for quite a while, but it never shows up there. 😜

• Options

@Downtown1974 said:
    That’s a great looking bar too. It will go well with your new serial numbered 20 oz.er
    They really are cool. The 3 bars in my pic are part of my permanent collection. I just like them so much so I don’t mind the premium I paid for them. Although with this recent run-up, I’m ahead of the game on paper.
    We have very similar interests in collecting. Pre-33 gold and cool poured silver bars are things I just can’t let go of.
    Im sure you share the same sentiment. I know I’ve kept an eye out for your 1908 Saint with motto on the BST forum for quite a while, but it never shows up there. 😜

Yes, indeed! The pre33 Gold is a soft spot for me, and old poured silver bars also! B)

• Options

@asheland said:

@Downtown1974 said:

So if we post up a picture it influences people to buy. Who would have thought :D
    I have a JM 20 and an Engelhard 20.
    Both bought years ago and complement each other.
    My recent pickup made my wallet squawk.

• Options

@rte592 said:

@asheland said:

@Downtown1974 said:

So if we post up a picture it influences people to buy. Who would have thought :D
    I have a JM 20 and an Engelhard 20.
    Both bought years ago and complement each other.
    My recent pickup made my wallet squawk.

Those are very cool!

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    edited April 19, 2024 7:46PM

@USMC_6115 said:
    And another.. things are slowing down with the few left I need :)

Nice bar slowing down on the few left you Need? Or Want? :p
    Did you happen to see the one on mineral exchange?
    It was over $400 last time I looked.

• Options
    edited April 19, 2024 8:02PM

@rte592 said:

@USMC_6115 said:
    And another.. things are slowing down with the few left I need :)

Nice bar slowing down on the few left you Need? Or Want? :p
    Did you happen to see the one on mineral exchange?
    It was over $400 last time I looked.

You're absolutely correct! Want, not need.. and it changes by the minute :)
    I'm not familiar with the "mineral exchange," can you link it? .......... oh I see it needs login and registration; do they have lots of Engelhard's over there?

You've shown more bars..lol. I've "limited" myself to only a few left.. subject to change of course:

Portrait / no serial / logo on rev
    Portrait / no serial / frosted rev
    Landscape / no serial / Engelhard logo on rev - a member here acquired 4 of them recently and I inquired about buying 1 or more, but never heard back
    Landscape / no serial / light frosted - 50,000 mintage but tough to find = interesting

• Options

Lots of nice ways to spend money on mineral exchange.
    Yes they have a large lot of Engelhard and many other vintage silver and gold.

• Options

@rte592 said:
    Lots of nice ways to spend money on mineral exchange.
    Yes they have a large lot of Engelhard and many other vintage silver and gold.

Nice.. I bid on that Sheffeild, but I'm sure it's going to skyrocket out of my range.. thanks for the link :)

• Options
    Mike59Mike59 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

Usually When PM starts moving I pull out the old odd &ends box and give it a little peek. Bought this over 10 years ago because it’s different and I liked it. Don’t know much about it but I bought it anyway .

MIKE B.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mike59 said:
    Usually When PM starts moving I pull out the old odd &ends box and give it a little peek. Bought this over 10 years ago because it’s different and I liked it. Don’t know much about it but I bought it anyway .

Those bars sell at a premium, usually. Reportedly, they were made by a bullion business located in New Hope, PA, circa 1980.
    In addition to producing bars like this, the company also offered secure storage for their customers' bullion. But the storage part was a scam and they absconded with the bullion. The bars (in hand) are good, though.

• Options
    Mike59Mike59 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@Mike59 said:

Those bars sell at a premium, usually. Reportedly, they were made by a bullion business located in New Hope, PA, circa 1980.
    In addition to producing bars like this, the company also offered secure storage for their customers' bullion. But the storage part was a scam and they absconded with the bullion. The bars (in hand) are good, though.

Thanks for sharing the information, I appreciate it.
    Mike

MIKE B.

• Options

Two new pick ups this week! >:)

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

New pickup. Really liked the reverse pour. Do not know anything about the ACO or CAO? bar.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    New pickup. Really liked the reverse pour. Do not know anything about the ACO or CAO? bar.

No idea but that’s an awesome bar!

• Options

@Downtown1974 said:
    @asheland unbelievable 5 oz. JM bar. Those are tough to find!

It was literally the only one on eBay. I had to pay strong, but I just went ahead and did it! Glad I did, now.

• Options
    PhilArnoldPhilArnold Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

Here's a nice hunk of silver that's ending tonight at GreatCollections.
    https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1574339/2008-Massive-Silver-10185oz-Johnson-Matthey-IngotBar-Uncertified-ASW-101748-oz

I had lots of fun photographing this big boy.

Phil Arnold
    Director of Photography, GreatCollections
    greatcollections.com

• Options

@asheland said:

@Downtown1974 said:
    @asheland unbelievable 5 oz. JM bar. Those are tough to find!

It was literally the only one on eBay. I had to pay strong, but I just went ahead and did it! Glad I did, now.

I looked it up.
    The asking price was strong money.
    Good that you opted for it and not the one listed at wild money :D