Home Precious Metals
Options

The Never Ending FRIDAY Metals Thread!

Comments

• Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2024 8:22PM

Question for the bar experts.. While taking the above pics I noticed something that I can't believe I missed when I received the bar. On the Scotiabank bar, which is still in the factory wrapper has a slight crease / bend in it. You can see the crease just above the "1 Ounce Troy." Mint damage? <--for lack of a better term, lol.. I can't see any possible way that bar got bent without damaging or marking the sealed plastic container. Again, I did the best pics I could.. whatcha think? Cool? Melt it? Too late to return it..

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Several brands of 1oz silver bars are being heavily counterfeited by the Chinese and this has been going on for several years. If you have access to a Sigma metal analyzer, I suggest that you check your bars for proper metal content. If you go the Aliexpress or DHgate web sites, you can find some for sale.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USMC_6115 said:
    As promised to @Downtown1974 - here is a group shot. Best pics I could do cuz i sxck at it :) The first 10 or so are in order of lowest mintages except the two poured bars at the bottom.. they are by far the lowest mintage. I didn't get to label all of them yet.

Spectacular collection!
    Love the variety, but the 3 oz. is off the charts!

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2024 8:43AM

@USMC_6115 said:
    Question for the bar experts.. While taking the above pics I noticed something that I can't believe I missed when I received the bar. On the Scotiabank bar, which is still in the factory wrapper has a slight crease / bend in it. You can see the crease just above the "1 Ounce Troy." Mint damage? <--for lack of a better term, lol.. I can't see any possible way that bar got bent without damaging or marking the sealed plastic container. Again, I did the best pics I could.. whatcha think? Cool? Melt it? Too late to return it..

I'd say leave it, it's factory sealed no other issues.
    You could buy a second one if it bothers you...2 of 1000 wouldn't be a bad problem to have.

• Options

@rte592 said:

@USMC_6115 said:

You could buy a second one if it bothers you...2 of 1000 wouldn't be a bad problem to have.

My son is a machinist and says he can fix it easily. I may take him up on it as it will bug me :) Or, like you said just get another one. I got this for a good price, probably about half of what they are going for now when you can find them. I just had my dealer test it as mentioned above and it tests good.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USMC_6115 said:

@rte592 said:

@USMC_6115 said:

My son is a machinist and says he can fix it easily. I may take him up on it as it will bug me :) Or, like you said just get another one. I got this for a good price, probably about half of what they are going for now when you can find them. I just had my dealer test it as mentioned above and it tests good.

How would your son fix it? He probably has access to a hydraulic press so he could put it between two pieces of wood and squeeze it in the press. Please let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited February 10, 2024 1:43PM

@PerryHall said:

@USMC_6115 said:

@rte592 said:

@USMC_6115 said:

How would your son fix it? He probably has access to a hydraulic press so he could put it between two pieces of wood and squeeze it in the press. Please let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

All fixed.. he did it earlier on a press like you said. He used some cloth. The bar is perfect, but the plastic wrap didn't make it :( Now the bar is in a capsule like my others. I'm happier it is not bent :) There's not much I can do about that crease which doesn't bother me much. None of my bars are perfect and now none of them are bent.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USMC_6115 said:
    As promised to @Downtown1974 - here is a group shot. Best pics I could do cuz i sxck at it :) The first 10 or so are in order of lowest mintages except the two poured bars at the bottom.. they are by far the lowest mintage. I didn't get to label all of them yet.

Awesome! B)

• Options

If anyone else wants to straighten out stuff use thick leather.
    The leather conforms to the piece and is soft, non maring.
    A simple tap tap with a hammer, mallet...a press is a bit much.
    I wasn't going to suggest anything because I figured you wanted to keep the factory sealed plastic.
    Gives you more time to hunt for a Colonial bar :o

• Options

@rte592 said:
    I wasn't going to suggest anything because I figured you wanted to keep the factory sealed plastic.

Already got it B)

IMPEX is up next..........if..........I can find one!

• Options

@USMC_6115 said:

@rte592 said:

Already got it B)

IMPEX is up next..........if..........I can find one!

Nice, I couldn't see it in the herd...
    If you hit a dry spell, you could cross the street to Johnson Matthey. :)

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2024 5:16PM

While harvesting aluminum cans (a renewable resource in FL) along roadways yesterday, I found this silver plate silverware set with a 2-piece sterling-handled carving set.

I also grabbed about 500 UBC cans worth $7.50.

While the carving fork and knife handles are sterling, is the remaining silver-plate worth anything? The entire set weighs about 4 pounds. The silver plate is by the "WM ROGERS MFG. CO" and stamped "AA" and "IS." "IS" I believe stands for International Silver, the previous company name.

Thanks for your help.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

My latest from Germania Mint.

This was definitely a “for fun” purchase

• Options

@asheland said:

I guess I like that bar.
    Looks like trouble and my exwife could certainly pull off that look.
    How is the picture done?
    Screen print or something like enamel?
    The description said possibly hand antiqued, but didn't say anything about the picture.

• Options

@rte592 said:

@asheland said:

I guess I like that bar.
    Looks like trouble and my exwife could certainly pull off that look.
    How is the picture done?
    Screen print or something like enamel?
    The description said possibly hand antiqued, but didn't say anything about the picture.

All I know is it somehow done with a laser, but there is some kind of paint and coloring on it and that I really have no idea, the COA doesn’t really say. But they do have a website that talks about these I may be need to look closer and see if I can figure it out because I’m kind of curious myself.

It’s definitely one you want to be real careful with because you don’t want that to get smacked into other pieces of metal, it could be damaged really easily, and would probably be unsightly, so if you ever get one, definitely leave it in that box!

• Options

This is part of a series. I’m almost hoping that I don’t like the other ones cause it’s the last thing I need to be collecting lol.

https://germaniamint.com/bars/goddesses/

And if you do decide to get one of these, my advice is to buy one on presale, I bought this one on presale and it was $165 (on eBay) And once it arrived, there was a whole rash of listings all with “in hand“ in the listings and now they’re bringing 220 and up so I’m glad I bought it early!

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful bar - I like the 2oz weight.
    Spendy bullion but at $165 I'd probably have gotten one as well... $225, I can't quite talk myself into it.

• Options

Very cool! 👍

• Options
    edited February 29, 2024 8:46PM

Eh, it's almost Friday :)
    Picked up another variety... when will it end? lol:

Nothing huge rare @ <25,000 according to Alengelhard - it's a large serial #

• Options
    edited February 29, 2024 10:35PM

My local place had a similar Engelhard bar.
    I think only 5 number sequence NO prefix.
    Flat mirror back
    I don't recall seeing the bull logo?
    He was asking $120.
    I left it there :o
    I didn't get a picture this time.

He did have one of the W prefix 10 ounce Engelhard pour bars, I didn't even ask how much.
    Something just didn't look right about the bar ( not sure if these are counterfeited )
    Looked almost cast and shined up with a brillo pad :o

• Options

@rte592 said:
    Flat mirror back
    He was asking $120.

He did have one of the W prefix 10 ounce Engelhard pour bars, I didn't even ask how much.
    Something just didn't look right about the bar ( not sure if these are counterfeited )

Yeah, that doesn't look right at all. Oddly, alengelhard doesn't have a counterfeit registry for the 10 ouncers... good call IMO

• Options
    edited March 2, 2024 8:04AM

@USMC_6115 said:

@rte592 said:
    Flat mirror back
    He was asking $120.

Yeah, that doesn't look right at all. Oddly, alengelhard doesn't have a counterfeit registry for the 10 ouncers... good call IMO

So digging around on ALLENGELHARD I think I found a reason why this bar looks like it's been harshly cleaned.

Ingot W012296, pictured below, demonstrates both obverse surface grinding of excess weight and a linen pattern reverse similar to Canadian 10oz and 20oz ingots.
    I'll see if I can head over and get a few more pictures and see how proud they are of their paperweight.
    This example on ALLENGELHARD shows some of the grinding marks.
    I'm thinking the lights in the store case make them pop more.
    It's The series 9 bar and serial number in store puts the bar close to the end of the series...at 017883/017999

• Options

@rte592 said:

@USMC_6115 said:

@rte592 said:
    Flat mirror back
    He was asking $120.

So digging around on ALLENGELHARD I think I found a reason why this bar looks like it's been harshly cleaned.

Ingot W012296, pictured below, demonstrates both obverse surface grinding of excess weight and a linen pattern reverse similar to Canadian 10oz and 20oz ingots.
    I'll see if I can head over and get a few more pictures and see how proud they are of their paperweight.
    This example on ALLENGELHARD shows some of the grinding marks.
    I'm thinking the lights in the store case make them pop more.
    It's The series 9 bar and serial number in store puts the bar close to the end of the series...at 017883/017999

Nice work! If you get good pics and send them to Alengelhard, they will verify it for you. Takes a couple of days. Will your local shop hold it for you? Like you said, depending on how proud they are of it :)

• Options
    edited March 2, 2024 5:31PM

@USMC_6115 said: "")

Nice work! If you get good pics and send them to Alengelhard, they will verify it for you. Takes a couple of days. Will your local shop hold it for you? Like you said, depending on how proud they are of it :)

I went by today after the gun show and the sigh on the door says closed Saturday and Sunday.
    What the heck, wonder when they started closing on Saturday.
    You would think that would be a prime day for buying and selling??
    I'll check back later he was supposed to be putting out some recent pickups on Friday.

I did pick up some Precious metal at the gun show :D
    100 factory rounds of 308 for $80
    $8 admission.

• Options

My latest! 🐰 B)
    I got this yesterday:

• Options

@asheland said:
    My latest! 🐰 B)
    I got this yesterday:

Nice.. I've been thinking it's been a long time since I got some gold..

• Options

@USMC_6115 said:

@asheland said:
    My latest! 🐰 B)
    I got this yesterday:

Nice.. I've been thinking it's been a long time since I got some gold..

It’s awfully expensive now, but it’s still so fun to buy. Go for it! B)

• Options
    psuman08psuman08 Posts: 242 ✭✭✭

Just won these last night in an auction. Allengelhard has these no serial #, reverse logo at <2000.

What do you'll use for pricing other than eBay sold pricing?

• Options
    psuman08psuman08 Posts: 242 ✭✭✭

I've also recently gotten 1985 Prospector 1/4 and 1/2 oz. Cheers!

• Options
    edited March 20, 2024 11:01AM

@psuman08 said:
    Just won these last night in an auction. Allengelhard has these no serial #, reverse logo at <2000.

What do you'll use for pricing other than eBay sold pricing?

Nice find... I only use past Ebay sales because I don't see them offered anywhere else. Occasionally, APMEX and other big dealers will put some up and they are usually based on Ebay sales. I've managed to get quite the collection of these vintage bars via Ebay. That is one of the bars I'm still searching for. Let me know if you are selling :)

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2024 6:57AM

Moved.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options

Bravo @asheland! I like them all but that 10 oz. Silvertowne has killer pour lines.

• Options

@Downtown1974 said:
    Bravo @asheland! I like them all but that 10 oz. Silvertowne has killer pour lines.

Indeed it does! Plus that was a type I’d been looking for a long time!

It goes with my older one:

• Options

@Downtown1974 said:
    Here’s a newp that came in yesterday.

If the deal doesn’t fall through, I might have access to an 0GH MS63 $5 Liberty for around melt, $575 ish 1885-S

I don’t need it for my type set, but I thought it would be a good buy to just stick back?

• Options

@asheland cant go wrong at that price. The OGH is a plus.
    I bought this one for another type set I started. My main gold type set has 20th century Liberty head gold. I wanted another with 19th century pieces.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

@Downtown1974 said:
    Here’s a newp that came in yesterday.

If the deal doesn’t fall through, I might have access to an 0GH MS63 $5 Liberty for around melt, $575 ish 1885-S

I don’t need it for my type set, but I thought it would be a good buy to just stick back?

My last OGH $5 Liberty I paid somewhere around $325. At the same time I paid just over $650 for a couple of MS62 OGH $10 Indians. That was just a few years ago (actually 6, wow time flies). $575 today for a $5 Lib in MS63? I'd be all over it. Hope you get it. CNGRTS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

Thanks guys! If I get it, I will post it here! 👍

• Options
    edited April 6, 2024 11:09PM

My new arrival
    I haven't paid for it yet, so y'all just have to wait till it shows up in the mail...
    Even though I overpaid for the gold, I'm not going to jinx it.
    I showed pictures to some of the guys at the coin club and everyone liked it, seems no one has one so I'll have to bring it back for show and tell.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

$550? Less than melt for OGH MS63 Pre-33 Au. You are one lucky dog. Nice looking coin. CNGRTS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

That’s a sharp looking half! Can’t beat that price too!
    Congratulations on a great newp! 😎

• Options

Thanks guys! B)

I had to pick it up at that price!
    In fairness, we don’t sell gold below Melt like that typically, but I work at a coin shop and the owner is good to me. 👍