Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What would you consider as average percentage premium for a Toner?

Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 12, 2024 4:48PM in U.S. Coin Forum

What is highest premium percent you paid for a Toner? Do you think some of them priced at moon money? Have you ever been ripped on one? Did not sticker, came back AT, etc.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're not "ripped on one" until you go to sell it and get substantially less.
    I've been "ripped" on buying one and sold for a profit when I was (almost) ready to sell...and some may think the buyer was "ripped" but I honestly think, since he plans to own for a bit, that he will NOT be "ripped" when he goes to sell it.

Depends on the coin and the toning. Some are more common than others with toning and if the toning is NT and unique, throw the guide away.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

1-100
    How nice is the toner?

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve paid 3x price guide for a few nice ones. Fantastic coins, worth every nickel IMO.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Three and a half times guide:

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2024 6:43PM

I’ve paid about 120x a comparable white coin. I don’t consider that crazy. I suspect I could sell it for a profit.

I have never bought a raw one for a huge premium so no risk on having it come back QC. I have bought coins in graded holders that were previously QC though. In those cases I obviously think the graders got it wrong the first time.

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Other side of the fence here but a great example of “Toner Tax”

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only have one "wild" toner and I paid about double guide (~$125 premium).

• Options

I would deduct value. I generally prefer my coins without rust.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many (most?) folks here know I am a longtime advocate of wonderfully toned coinage, but in my experience the "average" toned coin has essentially neutral eye appeal, or perhaps slightly negative eye appeal, when compared to an untoned or "blast white" coin. Therefore, if we are writing about toned MS coinage, or unimpaired proof coins, I would suggest the "average" premium I would pay for the "average" coin is zero.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2024 6:49AM

Agree with TomB. And many coins with dark or fugly toning have a negative toning premium.

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m biased - LOVE a nice toner! For a really really good one as much as 50%, but that’s just me, I admit!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

I neither pay for nor charge a substantial premium for attractively toned coins. And I’m not at all interested in bag toning, tape toning, wild toning, etc., but I do like concentric toning.

That said, when a dealer acquaintance at the monthly show priced this to me apologetically at full GS Ask, I didn’t haggle:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭

I have bid around 10 to 15 percent more than I normally would. This is not the most aggressive approach and four times out of five my bid is left in the dust. On the other hand I have won about 15 coins that I felt featured attractive toning and I never have buyer regret. james

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    What is highest premium percent you paid for a Toner? Do you think some of them priced at moon money? Have you ever been ripped on one? Did not sticker, came back AT, etc.

In my opinion, you do not have the marketing experience or perspective necessary to evaluate toners that are unusually eye appealing. Therefore, to answer your question would be wasting time.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    Between 0.5x and 150x is about right.

I would say that it also depends on the basal value of the coin. If it is a common date Mercury dime, Franklin half or Washington quarter that is beautifully toned, 150x might be conservative. If it is rare date Seated or Barber coin, the rarity premium probably eats into the toning premium quite a bit.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have paid about 10X for some really nice already slabbed. Like these.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file