Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

sending in some coins to be graded.

Using pcgs crossover and if anyone knows turnover times LMK.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good Luck! We will see how accurate your new grading service is. Turn around is 3 months or so.

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭

What service are those coins currently graded? If your “own” grades in a snap holder, they are not crossovers, they are raw. Also, seeing the numbers you use, let’s take the 1945 dime. You declare value at $2500, but you put minimum grade of 63. Well, a 63 is worth $10. I would reconsider your plan here. I don’t believe you will get the results you are expecting, and will probably lose all the grading fees with no return. Some people have tried to help you here, which is probably more than most who have tried your approach have ever gotten in return, and even those helpful people are second guessing that.

I’m not trying to be a Debbie downer here, but I don’t see a successful outcome here, both this thread as well as the expected grading results. Good luck!

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NewEnglandRarities said:
    What service are those coins currently graded? If your “own” grades in a snap holder, they are not crossovers, they are raw. Also, seeing the numbers you use, let’s take the 1945 dime. You declare value at $2500, but you put minimum grade of 63. Well, a 63 is worth $10. I would reconsider your plan here. I don’t believe you will get the results you are expecting, and will probably lose all the grading fees with no return. Some people have tried to help you here, which is probably more than most who have tried your approach have ever gotten in return, and even those helpful people are second guessing that.

I’m not trying to be a Debbie downer here, but I don’t see a successful outcome here, both this thread as well as the expected grading results. Good luck!

Getting professional opinions on those coins is a successful outcome, regardless of the grade.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@NewEnglandRarities said:

Getting professional opinions on those coins is a successful outcome, regardless of the grade.

Fair enough, but there are cheaper and easier ways to figure that out when the “spreads” here are so significant. Take for example the 39-S dime where minimum grade is 63. Declared value is 2500 (more expensive tier) while a 63 in an OGH from a. Named collection, in stacks brought $120. I kind of think we are wasting our time here, but in case it is true that the OP is serious about evolving and learning from the beginning, this is something I would want to know/see before I spent hundreds of dollars to be disappointed.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    That's not a crossover. The submission is raw. Crossover only applies to coins in APPROVED holders.

I get what you're saying and the coins are essentially raw here. I didn't think PCGS had a list of approved companies for crossover though do they?

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

First, these wouldn't be considered as Crossovers as pointed out earlier.
    Second, you are costing yourself a lot of unnecessary return shipping by the amount of declared value you are putting on inferior coins for the desired grade.

I would reevaluate my submission if you have not sent it out already.

• Options

@TrickleCharge said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    That's not a crossover. The submission is raw. Crossover only applies to coins in APPROVED holders.

I get what you're saying and the coins are essentially raw here. I didn't think PCGS had a list of approved companies for crossover though do they?

I'm not sure. But they must have some standard or everyone could crossover their home slabs.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USA_Bullion_and_Coin said:

As written here the grading cost of this submission not counting the cost of your shipping to PCGS is sitting at $376.

• Options

@humanssuck said:

Since these are in your own self slabbed holders, why have you put a minimum grade? If you want to learn, take them out and send them in and tell them to grade them and get the actual grades. If any come back as details, they'll tell you why (cleaned, scratched, etc...), as opposed to just not crossing it. You can always crack them out and put them back in your homemade slabs if you want, but at least you'll see what the experts grade the coins. Its expensive tuition, but you'll learn something.

I second this.

You want the opinions.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ask yourself what other dealers and collectors have missed in the last 50 years of professional grading?
    Ask why they are not already in NGC or PCGS holders?

There is a reason (could be multiple), and you don't know the reason.

I advised thru PM to stop buying coins.
    I advised in public to sell them on Ebay

Quit diggin the hole.

This is throwing good money after bad.

That $400 would pay for two days at a seminar or buy properly graded coins.

Listen to what others are telling you and don't grade the coins.

World class opinions on this forum.

I just rant on a soap box.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

I have 8 vouchers

• Options

I have 8 vouchers

Well, if you have the vouchers already, go for it I guess. Remember that there are fees and shipping though, which will have a cost associated.

• Options
    edited March 30, 2024 2:49PM

I think somebody needs to explain the prepping and shipping process.

The submission is all wrong.

These will not be crossovers but a different grading class.

Don't they need to be broken out and placed in raw flips with labels, rubberbands, etc...

I always have to refresh my memory on just raw coins.

Never done it with snaps.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

After reading advice this is what I'm going to submit.

• Options

After reading advice this is what I'm going to submit.

Based on comments on all my post I estimate 55,63,64,63,62,25,66 fb, 64.

• Options

As stated before you’re probably not going to get the results you want. You are submitting under the wrong service (that being Crossover) and if I remember correctly they only cross with NGC. > @USA_Bullion_and_Coin said:

How should I share the results if I get banned?

That is considered ban-evasion which it appears you are indulging in. I suggest not digging yourself in an even deeper hole and just quit evading the bans as other forms are out there you can go to. But that’s my opinion.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's he gonna do for 3 months? 😲

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2024 5:08PM

You will have to use Regular ($2500 max value per coin) service level which is $40 per coin. 3 of your coins as listed could be graded under the Economy level which is $23 per coin ($300 max value per coin). In actuality you probably have another 2-3 that would also fit into the Economy service level. Unfortunately you can’t combine Service levels in one submission.

Sorry, I forgot about using the 8 vouchers.

Also on your submission form you would leave the Grade and Cert # blank since these are raw, not graded by an accepted third party grading company’.

• Options

I have asked him to submit each coin intended for submission, in the slab for critique and submission building.

Should keep us busy for the weekend.

Maybe he can learn something before the ban hammer strikes him down... lol

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2024 5:52PM

Edit: nvm. Found them.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options

Here's what I am thinking right now.
    The 1834 half probably isn't worth it, the 1935 dollar isn't really valuable enough to grade, and the rest of them i think are worth it. LMK what you guys think.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on comments on all my post I estimate 55,63,64,63,62,25,66 fb, 64.

I'll take the "under".

Don't forget that by submitting a crossover you're committing to a minimum $10 per coin Guarantee Premium, not covered by vouchers. Plus another $10 handling fee. Plus shipping fees in both directions.

• Options

BTW the 3 cent piece that looks grainy isn't in real life its just a camera issue.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the 1945 Mercury Dime the one you presented in another post? If I remember, it was not FB. So why declare its value at $1,000? If you insure these coins for the $4350, which will not be cheap to insure, how are you going to present a credible value to the insurance company should they be lost or stolen?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

The 1878 Morgan looks AU-55 maybe 58. The 35 Peace looks more 62/63. The 34 Bust Half looks more like a VF-20, and the 3c sliver may get a Detals grade as it could have had some old cleaning. Over all not bad. Some were over graded but that is to be expected, that is why this form is here.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

And those generic aftermarket stickers look ridiculous. :s

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is weird. If you're expecting PCGS to grade far lower than your grades, why didn't you just assign those grades yourself to begin with, then send them raw to PCGS for validation that you know what you're doing? You realize that if they agree to accept them for crossover service (our hosts page says "NGC, ANACS, ICG or other," so perhaps they will) and cross them, then you'll be charged a crossover tax that isn't covered by the vouchers, right?

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send them raw.
    Your snaps are not real crossovers.
    This will be a learning experience.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take them out of your Coin World Premier Slab Coin Holders. You can always put them back in if you do not like the PCGS grades. PCGS will not return them if they cross.

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭

Let me see. First you were a 17 year old going to their first show to sell. Then you were happy to have found some new grading service. Then you were an expert grader. Then In fact you ARE the new grading service. Then you want advice on coins suppose to be worth thousands of dollars. Surprising for most 17 year old kids. Then it turns out you just want PCGS to grade your coins. When you are told you are doing it all wrong and how much it will cost you come up with 8 free grade vouchers. Then you want to know how to tell all about your results after you get banned. AGAIN. Here is how.
    Have the lawyer who ends up defending you after you get caught pulling whatever scam it is you are pulling open a new account here. make the name YUP, FINN GOT BUSTED. maybe HE can tell us what this was all about. James

• Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2024 8:47PM

@seatedlib3991 said:
    Let me see. First you were a 17 year old going to their first show to sell. Then you were happy to have found some new grading service. Then you were an expert grader. Then In fact you ARE the new grading service. Then you want advice on coins suppose to be worth thousands of dollars. Surprising for most 17 year old kids. Then it turns out you just want PCGS to grade your coins. When you are told you are doing it all wrong and how much it will cost you come up with 8 free grade vouchers. Then you want to know how to tell all about your results after you get banned. AGAIN. Here is how.
    Have the lawyer who ends up defending you after you get caught pulling whatever scam it is you are pulling open a new account here. make the name YUP, FINN GOT BUSTED. maybe HE can tell us what this was all about. James

Well summarized. I really believe the only reason why anyone, including myself is engaging and following this saga is because this poster mentioned, I beleive only one time, they are 17. Thus, some lenience for perhaps a youthful and overzealous young collector that we may have all been in years past? No excuse for lying though. Or at least can have some sympathy for? But are we sure this is a young person? If not then this is futile and unworthy of any lenience.

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

To the op, if you really want to learn grading, buy some pre slabbed samples from pcgs. You can do inexpensive years. I wasted too much money on grading trying to learn in the beginning and I encourage anyone I do business with that is buying coins to do the same. I finally bought a set of Morgan's from 62-66 so I could actually see what it should look like. Additionally I use coinfacts for their library of image samples to compare against. More expensive coins are tougher to do that with unless you have substantial funds obviously.

To the op, listen to the advice you are getting here. I know from experience they know what they are talking about. They saved me a lot of money by asking questions here. It's better to ask! Learn how to grade for yourself and recognize the signs of cleaning and other damage, and fakes as well. Otherwise you are risking burning through a lot of cash... And yes, you will learn but you won't get that money back except in the form of education. You can get a lot of that education a lot cheaper here, reading books, and researching!

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

what's the purpose of the oval stickers?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@messydesk said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    what's the purpose of the oval stickers?

And is it legal to scrape them off the holders?

Only in Jersey.

• Options
    edited March 31, 2024 7:35AM

You need to image each individually front and reverse closer up.

I am still in the sell it on ebay and buy properly graded CAC coins.

That should be your circle of competence for the next year.

Do the club scene and visit shows. Find a mentor.

You are just throwing money away.

Go look for some high grade Kennedy and other moderns in mint packaging.

Same grading process with more potential home runs. Budget friendly

• Options

@yspsales said:

It's tuition.

If he sells these - with what grade assigned? - he may still think his grades were accurate. If he gets them graded, no matter what the results, he can study them and recalibrate his eyes.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    KiwiNumiKiwiNumi Posts: 53 ✭✭

This is the funniest thing I've seen happen on this forum. He is ignoring every single piece of advice given to him.This guy is truly the gift that keeps giving

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@yspsales said:

It's tuition.

If he sells these - with what grade assigned? - he may still think his grades were accurate. If he gets them graded, no matter what the results, he can study them and recalibrate his eyes.

When they are stubborn, I am in the burn it $$$ until you learn it camp.

Break it up to three submissions over three months.

Maybe something will click.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone mentioned BNB...
    I have a recollection of that member, but can't quite recall the drama that ensued. 🤔
    It was entertaining, hilarious and sad if I remember correctly..
    Someone with better search skills than I might link an old thread here, as a cautionary tale of sorts.
    Might be helpful for the newb.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,684 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone remember a troll from about 20 years ago, went by the handle “lil’whicher” or something similar.

This is beginning to seem similar.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file