Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

sending in some coins to be graded.

Comments

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2024 10:20AM

Another truism... In the first year, invest more in books/Seminars than in coins.

I was in his boat... wondering why SEGS and other trash holders were not MS68 during resale.

LOL... Threw away a few $K and wish I had this advice.

Haven't lost money in years with a self imposed limited budget, and staying in my lane.

No money makers this time, but two nice, higher grade pick ups. The AH is nice and the second has nice mirrors but falls short of Cameo IMHO. Not bad for Ebay

Gonna chop them both out and grade.

The entire second set is AMAZING!

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

Selling on eBay is not a good idea for someone who fails to describe something with accuracy, and who might have trouble with the truth.

I understand that @USA_Bullion_and_Coin is an ambitious young prat.
    You want to own a successful TPG.
    I am curious:

why do you create deceptions?

Does someone teach you these things? (I had fraudster influences in youth).

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2024 10:30AM

@seatedlib3991 said:
    Actually their is nothing funny about con men. Here are a couple clues.
    Finn ignores all statements that impune his character.
    Finn is suppose to be a17 years old kid but is also supposedly in possession of a number of
    very esoteric coins. 19th century proofs? Really?
    Finn obviously knows nothing about submitting to PCGS but then has a number of vouchers given to seasoned coin submitters.
    Note this too. This starry eyed kid has not posted to any other thread. there are no Finn likes, agree, etc. on any other thread. All this coin info but none of it interests him. Con men are one way streets. all he cares about is the tricks of coin collecting he needs to learn.
    Don't be surprised if a flurry of Finn activity happens shorty. Con men adapt fast. James

Vouchers just mean he got a membership.

He's not being combative. He has backed off his more extreme grades. I find it distasteful that any supposed adult feels the need to impugn his character and make accusations. What, exactly, would be the "con"?

• Options

@USA_Bullion_and_Coin:

The overstatement in the username amplifies ridicule.

Perhaps you may like to change it before you are banned; it won’t live in infamy.

• Options

Offer still stands on the seminars...

But you will have to catch me if you can...

I am 12-7 betting on baseball games this weekend.
    Moving to Vegas next week.
    Hear you can get selfie with Pete Rose and an autograph for $20

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2024 10:54AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@seatedlib3991 said:
    Actually their is nothing funny about con men. Here are a couple clues.
    Finn ignores all statements that impune his character.
    Finn is suppose to be a17 years old kid but is also supposedly in possession of a number of
    very esoteric coins. 19th century proofs? Really?
    Finn obviously knows nothing about submitting to PCGS but then has a number of vouchers given to seasoned coin submitters.
    Note this too. This starry eyed kid has not posted to any other thread. there are no Finn likes, agree, etc. on any other thread. All this coin info but none of it interests him. Con men are one way streets. all he cares about is the tricks of coin collecting he needs to learn.
    Don't be surprised if a flurry of Finn activity happens shorty. Con men adapt fast. James

Vouchers just mean he got a membership.

He's not being combative. He has backed off his more extreme grades. I find it distasteful that any supposed adult feels the need to impugn his character and make accusations. What, exactly, would be the "con"?

Agreed - what’s the con? And these accusations have been made multiple times, now.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

It just pisses people off when someone takes them for fools, whether by deception or through ignorance.

• Options
    JRGeyerJRGeyer Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

The con is the website and YT channel being marketed as an LLC dealing in bullion and TPG, with ridiculous terms of service. Take a look at it, it's tailor-made to financially take advantage of individuals who are inexperienced in this field.

Putting up a website and using a youtube channel to try to generate an audience to send in coins for grading, when you do not know the first thing about coin grading is, at the very least, highly negligent.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    And those generic aftermarket stickers look ridiculous. :s

I thought they were the cacs?

• Options

@JRGeyer said:
    The con is the website and YT channel being marketed as an LLC dealing in bullion and TPG, with ridiculous terms of service. Take a look at it, it's tailor-made to financially take advantage of individuals who are inexperienced in this field.

Putting up a website and using a youtube channel to try to generate an audience to send in coins for grading, when you do not know the first thing about coin grading is, at the very least, highly negligent.

That's not what's going on now on this forum. He's admitted to the site being his. It's also not exactly a "con" if he's actually selling goods and services. Certainly, they are over-hyped but he's not the only one guilty of that.

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRGeyer said:

I think I'm late to the party... Care to share the website and yt? If it's as you say then perhaps he is trying to pull a fast one. However it has been noted that he hasn't been combative. Perhaps he just thought he could make a quick business from coins...? To your point though talking about grading when you don't know the first thing about grading is pretty wild.

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2024 9:07PM

This guy? reminds me a little bit of a few years back Gary something of Michigan who clamed to have a PCGs Registry Set of Roosevelt Dimes.

Young? know it all who purchased a dime and was not allowed to return and named the dealer. What a mess that turned out to be :#

This one even made a youtube about Rolex Watches. USA Bullion aka FinnsCoin aka?

YSPSALES he can pay for a seminar if really interested rolex watches,expensive coins etc

@PCGS_Moderator Please delete

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USA_Bullion_and_Coin said:
    How should I share the results if I get banned?

Keep them secret.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lcoopie said:

How should I share the results if I get banned?

Keep them secret.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giantsfan20 said:
    This guy? reminds me a little bit of a few years back Gary something of Michigan who clamed to have a PCGs Registry Set of Roosevelt Dimes.

Young? know it all who purchased a dime and was not allowed to return and named the dealer. What a mess that turned out to be :#

This one even made a youtube about Rolex Watches.

YSPSALES he can pay for a seminar if really interested rolex watches,expensive coins etc

@PCGS_Moderator Please delete

For what it’s worth, Gary is now a world class coin grader with a very successful business buying, selling, and upgrading outstanding coins. Maybe patience with these ambitious 17-year olds is warranted.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2024 2:38PM

Something does not smell right, so onto another thread.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giantsfan20 said:

I’m not a defender of Gary, but at one time he did have a Roosevelt Dime set in the Registry. I didn’t photograph all of them but did have the opportunity to shoot a few. This page has a combination of TrueViews and mine. This was from around 7 years go.
    https://robecsimages.com/Gary.html

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you do a crossover from self slabed coin? I thought cross overs had to be from another TPG. Just say'in.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

Somebody on another thread mention YT grading videos.

I remember the grading challenges put on by PCGS that were very competitive.

Those would be a good source for him to view. Challenged even the most astute dealer/graders

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭

He is just conning you out of information. Some other poor fool is the mark. I learned these red flags from law enforcement people chasing my con of a nephew.
    Why not defend yourself? A good con knows if you just keep your mouth shut other people will jump up to defend you. With any luck they will get into such a dust up you can be even more aggressive about mining information. Also, ALWAYS on the look for another mark. The people who defend you have just marked themselves as possible targets.
    Finn has worn several hats in the last two weeks.
    Here is my guess for cast of characters involved in the sting.
    A young person who has some rare coins he inherited but does not know much about. 17?
    A coin expert who is so smart he owns his own grading service.
    There is also always a shill who knows the expert and can vouch for him.
    Also seems to be important to know correct PCGS guides for a crossover.
    Last of all. The mark. Someone out there has been all picked out.

• Options

If he clears the hurdles I set forth, it's around $250 per seminar.

So I got $500 on the line if he can reach the pot at the end of the rainbow.

If he makes the effort he deserves it.

Either I will pay ANA directly or reimburse him after the seminar.

• Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@JRGeyer said:

That's not what's going on now on this forum. He's admitted to the site being his. It's also not exactly a "con" if he's actually selling goods and services. Certainly, they are over-hyped but he's not the only one guilty of that.

What about the part where he supposedly took the dime to Stacks where they confirmed it was FB? That is beyond "over-hyping".

"My camera just isnt good enough. i took it into stack bowers in boston and they said it was FB"

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seatedlib3991 said:
    He is just conning you out of information. Some other poor fool is the mark. I learned these red flags from law enforcement people chasing my con of a nephew.
    Why not defend yourself? A good con knows if you just keep your mouth shut other people will jump up to defend you. With any luck they will get into such a dust up you can be even more aggressive about mining information. Also, ALWAYS on the look for another mark. The people who defend you have just marked themselves as possible targets.
    A young person who has some rare coins he inherited but does not know much about. 17?

This is your third such post in this thread. Maybe all of your suspicions will be validated or maybe not. And maybe your personal experiences with (as you phrased it) your “con of a nephew” have colored your thinking. Regardless, at this point, readers are well aware of your views on this topic.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@spyglassdesign said:

@JRGeyer said:

I think I'm late to the party... Care to share the website and yt? If it's as you say then perhaps he is trying to pull a fast one. However it has been noted that he hasn't been combative. Perhaps he just thought he could make a quick business from coins...? To your point though talking about grading when you don't know the first thing about grading is pretty wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Vc2Y89zUU

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jeffas1974 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JRGeyer said:

What about the part where he supposedly took the dime to Stacks where they confirmed it was FB? That is beyond "over-hyping".

"My camera just isnt good enough. i took it into stack bowers in boston and they said it was FB"

Perhaps Stack’s assigned the FB designation to OP himself…”Fully Baked”

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    edited March 31, 2024 4:41PM

Okay.... just started to binge watch his YT channel

Wasn't it Churchill that opined... "It's a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma."

He is no dummy.... enjoy the ban hammer.

FYI... in the future... the problems/detail/cleaned coin seminar is after grading 1&2

• Options
    edited March 31, 2024 4:46PM

nvm

• Options

I haven't been on today and I am reading through the messages. I'm guessing I won't be back tomorrow. See you all. To those of you who have given me advice thank you and to those of you who have given me unconstructive criticism I'm glad to not see your messages any longer.

• Options

BTW I will be sending in the 1852 3c, the 1939-s Fb dime, the 1878 toned morgan, and the proof half. Depending on how it goes I may send in my other FB dime.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

what's the oval sticker for?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't been on today and I am reading through the messages. I'm guessing I won't be back tomorrow. See you all. To those of you who have given me advice thank you and to those of you who have given me unconstructive criticism I'm glad to not see your messages any longer.

Don't worry, you can still read them. You just won't be able to comment. :p

Who knows - you might still survive to post another day. Only you and the moderator know why your other ID was banned. If it was because you had two accounts, they might let this one remain. If it was for some other infraction then maybe not.

All the answers and advice on your various threads tell you all you need to know about your approach and training. If you listened to it then your future in numismatics might still be bright.

• Options

Put the results on the YT channel

• Options

@yspsales said:
    Put the results on the YT channel

I will and thanks for your advice on everything.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

get a magnifying glass or loupe to see your coins that have been mechanically cleaned. Your bust half on youtube shows the parallel lines from cleaning without the glass.

• Options

I wish you the best of luck @USA_Bullion_and_Coin. Truly I do.

• Options
    edited March 31, 2024 5:46PM

Sounds like you are honestly trying to make it...

Your viewers would probably like the personal story of your numismatic walk.

You don't have to be the expert.

Stop buying raw, be honest.... self worth is more important than net worth.

I am busting out on my baseball wagers. Lost all my winnings despite being 13-10 on my wagers.

Canceled my Vegas move all because Steven Matz dealing a 3 hitter to the Dodgers.

There is a reason I brought up Pete Rose eralier... several morals to a story in that life..

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seatedlib3991 said:

I think you're on to something. Then again, I don't believe in the kindly old grandmother from another land with poor eyesight who's hobby is looking for doubled dies, which doesn't seem to be a popular view either.

• Options

@jeffas1974 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JRGeyer said:

That was before he got caught. Since then, he's been asking about properly grading. No one is defending the previous crap, but he has changed his tune

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

you invent a grading company and invent a 4th party sticker service then use the stickers on your own coins then not sticker some of your own coins

got some work to do on basic concepts

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MFeld said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

This is your third such post in this thread. Maybe all of your suspicions will be validated or maybe not. And maybe your personal experiences with (as you phrased it) your “con of a nephew” have colored your thinking. Regardless, at this point, readers are well aware of your views on this topic.

Anybody who gets conned at this point absolutely deserves it. Everyone with a 3rd grade reading level knows the story.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send them in economy. None of them are gold, right? If they grade high then they'll charge you extra.

• Options
    edited March 31, 2024 6:23PM

@jmlanzaf said:
    Anybody who gets conned at this point absolutely deserves it. Everyone with a 3rd grade reading level knows the story.

That is quite far from the point. If there was any true contrition, the website would be altered to remove its coin grading aspect.

I respect the effort it takes to build a functional website and grow a YT following, it is quite impressive.

Using your platform to portray yourself as some form of an expert in this field when you are not, is poor form and makes new or inexperienced collectors skeptical of the whole hobby.

• Options

@JRGeyer said:

@jmlanzaf said:

That is quite far from the point. If there was any true contrition, the website would be altered to remove its coin grading aspect.

I respect the effort it takes to build a functional website and grow a YT following, it is quite impressive.

Using your platform to portray yourself as some form of an expert in this field when you are not, is poor form and makes new or inexperienced collectors skeptical of the whole hobby.

I agree. But that has little to do with what's going on on the forum

• Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

Anybody on this forum who has been keeping up with the saga perhaps. Maybe you are right and he has done a complete 180 in the 1 week since he started posting. I hope that’s why he has changed his tune and it’s not just because he’s smart enough to realize he can’t con the collective forum now that he’s been found out.

• Options
    edited March 31, 2024 6:58PM

He battles with commenters on his YT channel over the same cleaning and grading questions.

He has talked about grading the same coins for months.

My seminar money offering is feeling safe.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2024 7:11PM

I feel this is far more likely to be a Dunning-Kruger moment here rather than some information mining for a sting.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vouchers not just given to " seasoned collectors " A Platinum membership gets you the 8 vouchers. I believe the OP in another thread mentioned he's a " Platinum member "

• Options
    Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

Anyone got a link to the Youtube?

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file