Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Please post your Seated Liberty images.

Comments

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost missed that "O", Beautiful!

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    LeeroybrownLeeroybrown Posts: 429 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking SLHs!

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crepidodera That '59-O quarter is incredible looking, wow.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 281 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous Thank you, it's the nicest example of that date that I've owned.

Doug

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian Thanks. I do like the coin. It's on its way back from NJ and it did not pass go. When I get it, I'll find out why. Regardless, I will be keeping and liking the coin.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2024 7:51PM

Look out, Loretta! My 16-coin economy submission grades just posted.

15 out of 16 coins straight-graded. The one that received a "VF details, 98 - Damage" well, I'll let you be the judge. Here's a scan of this darkly toned coin where I've increased the exposure to show surfaces better.

I'll post TVs of the SLH when they're posted.

Edited to add - Yes, that is a serious hit on the upper chest that has to be pointed out. I forget that it's there because it blends in so well with its toning.

Edited again to add - the hit is not why they dinged it. The label reads "PCGS Genuine - Edge Damaged - VF detail." The coin has edges on which the reeding is excessively worn down as if it was hit repeatedly with a spoon. It's a VF+ coin with AG rims. I'd noticed that but had forgotten about it when I chose the coin for this submission.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

@Catbert said:
    Barberian DOWNLOAD has commenced! ;)

Lots of "lumps of coal" being loaded up today. A clinker in the mix as well.

@Catbert is that you I see tailgating me in the registry rankings now? Yes! My "coal seam" sits atop Catbert's coruscating "Fleurs des Coins" for the moment.

• Options

Wow…. What a great collection of nice SLHs !!! Love it !!

• Options

@JBN said:
    Barberian: A great collection of half dollars!
    Here is a big bro for your 72-S:

Here's my 72-S's other "little brother". It's going in with the next submission and beyond. It's one of my favorite SLHs.

• Options
    CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 281 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin Don! I remember seeing that coin a few months ago. That's a tough coin to find original and problem free.

Doug

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crepidodera said:
    Nice coin Don! I remember seeing that coin a few months ago. That's a tough coin to find original and problem free.

Doug

Thanks! Yeah, that''s been a tough one to upgrade to VF.

• Options

A nice green coin with flecks of red. I'll bet the reeding isn't flat on that one. Beautiful coin, @Catbert!

• Options

@Barberian said:
    A nice green coin with flecks of red. I'll bet the reeding isn't flat on that one. Beautiful coin, @Catbert!

Thanks Mr. B. As you've stated previously, it's coruscating! (I had to look up the definition - not in my vocabulary) :D

• Options

@Barberian PCGS attributed my coin as a WB-1, large O? Is your mintmark thicker than mine? I've not taken the time to do the variety lookup :#

• Options

@Catbert said:
    @Barberian PCGS attributed my coin as a WB-1, large O? Is your mintmark thicker than mine? I've not taken the time to do the variety lookup :#

Cool! Now it's collectible as both a nice 1840-O WB8 (R5) and as a PCGS misattributed coin.

The enlarged "square" dentils almost touching star 6, the MM position, and the reverse die break between the ES in STATES running to the eagle's head tell me it's a WB-8.

It has the same date as a WB-1. Maybe that's what confused them. ;)

• Options

A real WB-1 (not a PCGS WB-1) just sold on eBay. I should have grabbed it but it would have been a details coin replacing another details coin.

Note the weak 4 and die breaks in the stars

Zig-zag die break at arrows.

• Options
    edited March 30, 2024 7:14AM

@Barberian said:

@Catbert said:

Cool! Now it's collectible as both a nice 1840-O WB8 (R5) and as a PCGS misattributed coin.

The enlarged "square" dentils almost touching star 6, the MM position, and the reverse die break between the ES in STATES running to the eagle's head tell me it's a WB-8.

It has the same date as a WB-1. Maybe that's what confused them. ;)

To follow up on this, it's not unusual to find misattributed coins on Coin Facts. I find them often and have sent messages to CF about them. Frankly, if the attributor had any experience with BB's guides or DM guides in general, they would not have made that mistake.

I see misidentifications all the time in my field as well. This level of mistake reveals a high degree of inexperience, to put it politely. Perhaps a free reholdering would be in order.

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ Barbarian very nice, just in time for baseball season. WB-9?

• Options

Yup. There have been a couple of them on eBay lately. The timing was right that's for sure. This one was unattributed and looks OK for straight grading, though I likely won't grade this coin. Anytime I see the mintmark positioned wide left as it is on the WB-9, I try to grab it. As you know, the die break between the D and O is diagnostic for WB-9.

• Options

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    Upgrade for my VG10

Reholder trueview.

• Options

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    Upgrade for my VG10. I have no coins below Fine now, and only 5 in Fine. I have two VF details grade though.

Reholder trueview

• Options

Upgrade for my VF35

• Options

@Barberian said:
    Speaking of 1840-O die marriages, I won this coin on eBay tonight.

It arrived today. Looks OK. The seller's photos were decent, but he hid some scratches. It has 146 reeds, so it is a later die state and considered an R4. Some light scratches in the right field and leg. The rim ding is large.

Here's a scan

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another 1872 S Half, MS63 at hosts. Preslab bad pictures by me

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

My Newp!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list