Home U.S. Coin Forum

Please post your Seated Liberty images.

1899091929395»

Comments

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭

@hummingbird_coins . I can only offer you my own supposition but I can tell you that many coins were put in 2"x2" holders. These holders involved cellophane windows and it was very common for those windows to crack with age. I personally have several Lincoln cents that were once bright red but now have similar dark areas for that very reason.
    I have also seen end roll coins that developed "rubberband" toning marks like that because collectors used rubberbands to keep the coins from falling out of paper rolls. Old coins and new coins don't always have the same diameter and some paper rolls were to loose. however, if you were not with the coin all along it is impossible to be positive exactly what may have happened. James Like your coins though.

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2024 7:27PM

@Barberian said:
    I was checking prices on 1846-O tall date SLH and noticed this:
    7-day auction, $45 opening bid. Sold for $45 on August 6th.

What's weird is, only 4 days later the exact same coin is sold by another seller (on a different background) for $325.
    And the 2nd seller called it an "Estate Find" too, which I think is funny.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2024 7:38AM

Nothing happened here on September 2, at 12:31 AM.

3 rim nicks away from Good

@LJenkins11 said:
    A trio of recent additions.

That's a nice trio! All with a similar look from a single set, and that look matches your set very well.

"Nothing happened here on September 2, at 12:31 AM." above is also an XF45, but it hasn't "hatched" yet. That will hopefully be in about two weeks.

• JBNJBN Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old TVs. Sequential certs. Check out certs 50-60 for additional TVs of this great, older, submission.
    Congratulations on your scores @LJenkins11!
    The 1887 is highly tough. Yours looks like an excellent XF.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

"Nothing happened here on September 2, at 12:31 AM." above is also an XF45, but it hasn't "hatched" yet. That will hopefully be in about two weeks.

Definitely not a good idea to post a coin until it’s in your hands.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2024 2:41PM

Here's my early die state WB-1 1855/54 I discovered in my collection years after purchasing it. It is a really strong overdate that anyone can see with a 3X lens if not with the unaided eye.

An EDS VF35 WB-1 1855/54 misidentified by PCGS as an "1855 normal date." (Trueview is again too dark)

The coin looks more like this.

Poor photo but one can see the overdate clearly.

I've chosen PCGS for grading my SLH, classic commemorative and Newfy collections, and have been a loyal customer of PCGS the past three years (10 orders, 98 coins graded, all TVed, two dozen accurate, "no-sweat," client-provided attributions as well). I've bent over backward for them to help them get attributions correct. I also have a LOT more raw coins and particularly '1855/54s" (Coin # 6282) that I have to get graded somewhere.

I'm disappointed with PCGS after this absurd, ignoring the client-provided information and the fact the client KNOWS the coin, then blame the client for PCGS's mistakes and lack of common sense. Then they send some "We're really sorry you (we) effed up, but you can submit to us again for $60!" message along with irrelevant information that clearly show they didn't know how much they screwed up.

It's hilariously poor customer service, but they don't seem to fully understand what they did. Blame the client for their mistakes. Afterall, the customer is always wrong even when they're 100% correct.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

You've been busy @LJenkins11 !

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

@LJenkins11 Nice strike on that 1864!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file