WCCWCC Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eddi said:
    A few bits and pieces from Lima:

1751 or 1757?

• Options

@Eddi said:
    Amazing coins you guys are posting.... <3

Does anybody have any 1752-dated Lima mint coins? That first year of issue is particularly scarce across al denominations.

I own the 1752 Peru NGC XF-40 2R. Seen one better not graded (after it was sold) in a Sedwick auction.

Also own the 1752 Peru 1R as AU "details". It has slight damage (planchet flaw I think) on the pillar side but is otherwise "original".

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ELuis said:

@SimonW said:
    What was the date of the 1/2 real you bought?

1756 LM JM 1/2R

Do not have any image, the coin now is in transit...Guess that by the end of the week it will arrive.

BTW, I just checked today about the 1/2R, because I placed the order DEC.10.2023 and they told me, that are checking the inventory, and appears that they cannot find the coin. So a problem there to get my money back. Also on the 4R, I tried to buy it and got a problem with the use of my CC, that needed some other step (Similar to an old try out to buy in Spain), so end up closing the buy. In short no coins.

• Options

@ELuis said:
    BTW, I just checked today about the 1/2R, because I placed the order DEC.10.2023 and they told me, that are checking the inventory, and appears that they cannot find the coin. So a problem there to get my money back. Also on the 4R, I tried to buy it and got a problem with the use of my CC, that needed some other step (Similar to an old try out to buy in Spain), so end up closing the buy. In short no coins.

On both coins I was not lucky, first time happens to me, and on both coins.

Just got a mail with something like this:

Unfortunately, there was an inventory discrepancy and your order was cancelled. We are processing any applicable refund which can take 3-5 business days to reflect. We sincerely apologize for the error and any inconvenience...

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2023 11:56AM

That sucks, sorry @ELuis

I think I may know the dealer, I’ve had similar experiences with them…twice. ¿Numismatica Peiró?

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry this is happening to you ELuis.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    edited December 21, 2023 12:40PM

And to confirm that many of these coins are not avail in a great condition et-al, but maybe just fine - not mine, just found these on my net search:

• Options

@Plus00Vltra said:
    First post, testing the waters:

Very nice thanks for sharing and welcome to the boards!!!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Plus00Vltra said:

Glad to see you posting

• Options

Hey, thanks all. Despite staying away from social media for as long as possible, l learned in 2023 the importance of forging relationships in the digital sphere. Any significant numismatic research I do online inevitably leads me back here as you all are the go-to fount of knowledge. Thanks again, glad to dive in.

• Options

Nevermind me over here drooling over your 2R Lima. @Plus00Vltra that was a strong first post. Welcome! Anyone who collects pillar minors is my friend (and nemesis 😜😂)

• Options
    AchoriAchori Posts: 85 ✭✭✭

@Plus00Vltra said:

Very nice 2R, thank you for sharing! it is an old friend, I loved the toning on it and luster on hand.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Plus00Vltra said:
    Hey, thanks all. Despite staying away from social media for as long as possible, l learned in 2023 the importance of forging relationships in the digital sphere. Any significant numismatic research I do online inevitably leads me back here as you all are the go-to fount of knowledge. Thanks again, glad to dive in.

Welcome!

• Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eddi it is so rare to see these minors from Santiago but, with that said, your examples are way, way above in quality/originality than the few I have seen.

100% - That's a really special grouping you have there.
    Those who's collecting interests lie outside of pillars and portraits just wouldn't be able to appreciate how truly special they are but I certainly do, and I can honestly tell you I am ridiculously jealous. Bravo!

This thread just keeps giving!

@JohnnyCache , thank you, sir!

I certainly agree, I have found collecting Santiago colonial minors very challenging, and have never actually seen more than a handful of 1/2R and 1R from the period between 1773 and 1788 in condition better than VF (with the exception of 1778 and 1788).

Let me also commend you on the coins you have posted here - I similarly have to admit I am jealous of your collection :)

• Options

To all here please feel free to share as many coins as you like. I am sure all of us here love having coins to look at.

• Options

• Options
    edited January 13, 2024 5:30PM

^ about Guatemala Pilar coins, the ones I have seen 1/2R or 1R are holed.
    For you guys that do auction buys, at least there is a 1R at GC - Guatemala 1765-G P Silver Real KM-24 PCGS VG-10
    Only one graded, just in case...

• Options
    edited January 13, 2024 6:07PM

@ELuis said:
    ^ about Guatemala Pilar coins, the ones I have seen 1/2R or 1R are holed.
    For you guys that do auction buys, at least there is a 1R at GC - Guatemala 1765-G P Silver Real KM-24 PCGS VG-10
    Only one graded, just in case...

Will be interesting to see at what price it ends. Not a country I collect I have my hands full with Mexico and Peru.

• Options
    edited January 13, 2024 7:53PM

Yeah, I've been watching it. @ELuis

It may be the only one graded at PCGS, but NGC has an XF in their census. That's the one I REALLY want! 😂

• Options

Also, I have three other guatemala 1R coins, two of them are about this same grade...they're G6 coins. I don't think this should be in VG10 holder, personally. No details at all and the rim is weak at the bottom and the top of the pillar side.

• Options

This one is probably a lower grade than the 1765, but not THAT far off. This would probably be a 4, that would be a 6

• Options

This is in a 4 holder and has virtually the same amount of wear as the 1765

• Options

This is graded as an F12, it has WAY more detail than the 1765 VG10 at GC. Rant over.

• Options

This is the VG10 in question

• Options

@SimonW said:

Grade IMO is due to "eye appeal". Too dark

• Options

@WCC yeah, it's dark, not quite as dark as the NGC pics I posted. I could have dipped it, but I liked it well enough, not worth the potential negative reprocussions. Dark is better to me than dipped and stripped.

• Options

@SimonW said:

Already at 550$ with almost a week left.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1511688/Guatemala-1765-G-P-Silver-Real-KM-24-PCGS-VG-10

• Options

Yeah, I'm sure the advertising here didn't help keep the price low. 😂

• Options

@SimonW said:

OH WOW.

• Options

@SimonW said:
    This is graded as an F12, it has WAY more detail than the 1765 VG10 at GC. Rant over.

Is that a F over ꓞ?

• Options

Based on current posts and discussion:

This coin is in an old (but not first generation) NGC holder in MS63, and was tied for top pop until someone recently (likely one of you!) submitted a ringer MS66.
    Now that it is knocked from the pedestal, I am likely submitting it for a PCGS show crossover, hoping for a better grade and better photography... Would any of you talk me out of trying?
    Coin also shows a 6/5, although it is a subtler example of the overdate.

• Options

@Plus00Vltra said:
    Based on current posts and discussion:

This coin is in an old (but not first generation) NGC holder in MS63, and was tied for top pop until someone recently (likely one of you!) submitted a ringer MS66.
    Now that it is knocked from the pedestal, I am likely submitting it for a PCGS show crossover, hoping for a better grade and better photography... Would any of you talk me out of trying?
    Coin also shows a 6/5, although it is a subtler example of the overdate.

That's cool! I'd take it. Looks like like it has nice luster. The die rust is really cool! What generation holder is it in?

The Guatemala 1756 is a really heavily clashed die I believe. Either that or it was stamped once and then again. It's very interesting. I've actually got it in at PCGS at the moment getting graded, they'll take better pics than I have and I'll post them later. You'll certainly find it interesting.

• Options

I don't actively collect Guatemala mint colonials, but did pick up this 1R one up out of curiosity some years ago.
    I really like how crude they are compared to other Columnario minors from the same era from Mexico, Lima, Potosi.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

There used to be a forum etiquette about not posting about current auctions so as to not drive up the price for potential buyers.

• Options
    edited January 19, 2024 9:12AM

@Boosibri said:
    There used to be a forum etiquette about not posting about current auctions so as to not drive up the price for potential buyers.

That makes sens. I will not do so moving forward.

• Options

@Boosibri said:

Much to my chagrin 😂

• Options
    edited January 22, 2024 10:27AM

@PillarDollarCollector said:

@SimonW said:

Already at 550$ with almost a week left.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1511688/Guatemala-1765-G-P-Silver-Real-KM-24-PCGS-VG-10

Sold for 900$ all-in.

• Options

I’m aware

• Options

@SimonW said:
    I’m aware

Did you win it?

• Options

No, I was underbidder. Someone really needed it. That’s a lot for a VG in my opinion.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2024 2:21PM

@SimonW said:
    I’m aware

Did you win it? > @SimonW said:

No, I was underbidder. Someone really needed it. That’s a lot for a VG in my opinion.

Not cheap that is for sure. But it is a very date as you know hence the price.

• Options
    edited January 23, 2024 1:49AM

How does Brad Yonaka rank the Guatemala 1 real coins of this era with regard to scarcity?

• Options
    edited January 23, 2024 9:32AM

@Eddi said:
    How does Brad Yonaka rank the Guatemala 1 real coins of this era with regard to scarcity?

From 1754-1771 only 4 (out of 32 coins listed) coins are considered scarce & uncommon the rest are all rare to extremely rare to possibly unique. Altogether Yonaka's books lists 32 coins that includes regular dates and varieties.

Scarce = Yonaka observed 8-10 examples

Uncommon = Yonaka observed 11-20 examples

Guatemala 1 reales are by no means an easy series to collect and I doubt many show up for sale in a 12 month period.

Collecting this series is a lifetime goal and ''impossible'' to fully complete. Even if someone has the funds that does not mean they will find the coins they want. A lot of these coins are in long term collections and I highly doubt those collectors want to sell unless they upgrade a coin then maybe they will consider selling the lower grade example.

• Options
    edited January 23, 2024 9:35AM

Eddi:

Lets ask the members here how long have they been collecting this series from Guatemala (1 real 1754-1771) and how many coins out of the 32 Yonaka lists do they own. No need for them to specify dates that is private and I understand they don't want extra competition for the missing dates in their collection.