Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Lets see some pillar minors from Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia and Guatemala

Show them if you got them. As many as you want.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck to anyone showing a Chile or Colombia minor unless @MrEureka has been hiding the Norweb 1760-So 4R

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Good luck to anyone showing a Chile or Colombia minor unless @MrEureka has been hiding the Norweb 1760-So 4R

I figured but you never know that is why I added Chile & Colombia anyways.

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnnyCache I want all of these!!!

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

I love collecting coins where no examples are known in unc - reminds me of the US 1802 half dime

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eddi said:
    johnnycache,......Lima 1 real >1753/2. ...... is a very scarce coin... >This is my example.

Very rare 1 real 1775 from Santiago - 2 examples known to me.

Eddi, you have beautiful example with eye appeal that's off the chart. I love it, truly a great coin.

I also really like your charles III one real. As you mentioned, these are so tough to locate, any example is special, but yours retains strong details that makes it very attractive.

I have a 2 reales example. It's little dark and worn but still among the best of the small number of these I've seen.

I regret not being able to get a 4 reales example when it was made available a year or so ago, but with only a limited amount of funds available to participate in this hobby, things don't always line up.

• Options
    edited December 6, 2023 2:38PM

I could keep this thread busy for quite some time, here’s a recent addition, Yonaka plate coin: probably not much more than a dozen in existence, there’s one perhaps a little nicer (VF30 NGC, I believe, owned by another forum member) two or three in the Yonaka census. Never seen or heard of one better than VF.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimonW said:
    I could keep this thread busy for >quite some time....

Please do, I love looking at these minor reales. I feel that they are very much under appreciated.

I love your '67

• Options

@SimonW said:
    I could keep this thread busy for quite some time, here’s a recent addition, Yonaka plate coin: probably not much more than a dozen in existence, there’s one perhaps a little nicer (VF30 NGC, I believe, owned by another forum member) two or three in the Yonaka census. Never seen or heard of one better than VF.

Yes please do keep them coming this is no limit. I love seen them as others do as well.

• Options

Some nice stuff @Achori I've never found any of those dates available in such wonderful conditions! Both the Peru pieces are among the more common dates in their respective series', (meaning there's maybe thirty extant instead of fifteen) but in those kinds of grades?! 🙄. Ridiculously nice! Neither have I seen a 1767 1r Potosi in such a high grade...at least not problem free. The best one I've been able to attain is a VF that has a light cleaning, also have a VG. They're hard.

• Options

Here is the first Peruvian minor I ever bought. I paid $25 if I recall correctly. Bought all three of these more than twenty years ago for around a hundred dollars! The eight reales I sold (dumb move) and the Mexico I accidently dropped in the cracks of my father-in-laws recliner, never could find it and we tried HARD!

Anyway, certified it with our hosts a couple years ago as a VF20...it's the coin that started it all!

• Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2023 6:05AM

@SimonW said:
    Some nice stuff @Achori I've never found any of those dates available in such wonderful conditions! Both the Peru pieces are among the more common dates in their respective series', (meaning there's maybe thirty extant instead of fifteen) but in those kinds of grades?! 🙄. Ridiculously nice! Neither have I seen a 1767 1r Potosi in such a high grade...at least not problem free. The best one I've been able to attain is a VF that has a light cleaning, also have a VG. They're hard.

@Achori, posting those mint-fresh Lima pieces MAY just have assured that @SimonW and @WCC will have impure thoughts about you from this point forward...

The Potosi 1R is very nice also. 55 is a bit high, but it's a lovely example of a type whose prices have boomed the past few years. Following what Simon said, literally the majority of pieces extant are jewelry/holed.

• Options
    AchoriAchori Posts: 85 ✭✭✭

@SimonW said:

Thank you @SimonW , I agree with you those being common dates, but hard to come by on very high grade. I tried to collect pillars by date and variety on 1 and 2R, but since I collect too many area for Peru since cobs to early republic, I decided to just keep the nicest ones, even though I let go some other nice ones. You have very nice and better date pieces as well. Potosi 1767 the only 2 nice examples that I have record of are mine and the one from Emilio collection sold back in 1991.

• Options
    AchoriAchori Posts: 85 ✭✭✭

@Eddi said:
    Simon, Bill, Johnny, those are some really interesting pieces you all have posted. It's great to be sharing with like-minded people!

A small run of Santiago 4 reales. The 4R 1790 is ex AMAT. It is actually an overdate (0 over something) . Transitional issue with the bust of Carlos III, but in the name of Carlos IV.

It would be really fantastic to see the Santiago 4 reales 1760 (only 4 known) in case somebody here owns one.

Thank you, that’s a nice run of Santiago 4’s. Santiago always hard to find in nice condition as the ones you just shared.

• Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is one I forgot to post. I really like it due to the fact it is a scarce type with the bust of Carlos IV, but in name of the new King, Fernando VII. Nice condition, too.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Achori said:

This was my first pillar 1 real.

It was my second pillar 1R

• Options

Amazing coins you guys are posting.... <3

Does anybody have any 1752-dated Lima mint coins? That first year of issue is particularly scarce across al denominations.

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2023 7:19AM

@Eddi said:
    Does anybody have any 1752-dated Lima mint coins? That first year of issue is particularly scarce across al denominations.

There is an 8R AU DETAILS NGC being sold at 3.5k - not cheap.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eddi said:
    Simon, Bill, Johnny, those are some really interesting pieces you all have posted. It's great to be sharing with like-minded people!

A small run of Santiago 4 reales. The 4R 1790 is ex AMAT. It is actually an overdate (0 over something) . Transitional issue with the bust of Carlos III, but in the name of Carlos IV.

Neat. The V in "IV" was moved on the die.

• Options

@Eddi said:
    Amazing coins you guys are posting.... <3

Yeah, I have a couple, nothing problem free yet…they’re tough in any condition.

• Options
    edited December 8, 2023 6:16PM

This one is obviously dealing with some issues…I wonder if it spent some time at the bottom of an ocean. Also pierced. It does have decent details, VF-XF, but yeah…a hole filler until a suitable replacement can be had.

• Options

@SimonW said:
    I think this one is quite nice, despite the hole. Pretty wholesome. In the F12 range.

These coins are rare no matter the grade I would be happy with any grade for most early pillars from Peru and other nations.

• Options

I had to screenshot this one…😂

• Options

One of the more common dates, now resides in a NGC VF30 holder, which I think is overly conservative.

• Options
    edited December 10, 2023 4:13PM

@SimonW said:

@Simom , that is a nice looking 2R 1764.

This 1764 2R that I posted above is a variety for that year with a cross-bar on the "M" of the assayers initials

• Options

@Eddi said:

This 1764 2R that I posted above is a variety for that year with a cross-bar on the "M" of the assayers initials

Nice variety!, a reuse of the LIMA monogram instead of the M.

• Options

@SimonW said:

What is this App? that current value is not bad for sure :) .

• Options

Have a question for you guys. Worth buying a LIMA Pillar 4R in Fine condition graded?
    And how about a VF 1/2 Real, this one raw?

• Options

@ELuis said:
    Have a question for you guys. Worth buying a LIMA Pillar 4R in Fine condition graded?

I would buy what you can find these are not easy coins to locate at all in any grades. You can always upgrade if possible later on. Better to own a coin that chasing one that never shows up.

• Options

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    I would buy what you can find these are not easy coins to locate at all in any grades. You can always upgrade if possible later on. Better to own a coin that chasing one that never shows up.

Thank you!.

I can see that vary few Lima Pillar 4R are graded, for the one I been looking just 3.

• Options
    edited December 10, 2023 6:10PM

@ELuis said:

@PillarDollarCollector said:

Thank you!.

I can see that vary few Lima Pillar 4R are graded, for the one I been looking just 3.

Can't always have perfect grades or the highest graded. Some will say different here because that is their way of collecting all power to them. I imagine they have deep pockets unlike most of us collectors so they are doing what is right based on that fact. And we are doing what is right based on our financial situation. That is the way life goes.

If we where talking 1732-1771 Mexican 8 reales I would say wait to find better coins they show often enough except 1732 even that one shows up once a year on average.

• Options
    edited December 10, 2023 11:58PM

@ELuis said:

I would buy any of them, personally. If you don’t, let me know. ☺️

The app is PCGS CoinFacts. It was an obvious typo, which has now been fixed.

• Options

Of course, I bought this one and it’s even lower grade wise.

• Options

@eddi your 64 is wonderful! Just wonderful!

• Options

@SimonW said:

:)

I bought the 1/2 Real. The 4R end up asking for more information and about one of the images, want to check something, no response yet.

Thanks for the info about that app, no idea as to why the Current Value it is not also shown on the normal PCGS page when you check/verify a coin there.

• Options

@ELuis said:

@SimonW said:

:)

I bought the 1/2 Real. The 4R end up asking for more information and about one of the images, want to check something, no response yet.

Thanks for the info about that app, no idea as to why the Current Value it is not also shown on the normal PCGS page when you check/verify a coin there.

What was the date of the 1/2 real you bought?

• Options
    edited December 11, 2023 3:47PM

@SimonW said:
    What was the date of the 1/2 real you bought?

1756 LM JM 1/2R

Do not have any image, the coin now is in transit...Guess that by the end of the week it will arrive.