Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

**** 2023 MORGAN & PEACE SILVER DOLLARS OFFICIAL THREAD****

1404142434446»

Comments

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are Peace uncirculated coins with the signed COA still showing up?

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HATTRICK said:
    Are Peace uncirculated coins with the signed COA still showing up?

Where? A number of them were reported. Another number probably ended up in the hands of folks who had no appreciation as to what they were. And still others are likely hidden away in sealed boxes, not to be revealed until far into the future.

I wouldn't expect people who know what they are doing and who have not opened boxes since July to be opening them in the near future.

• Options

Got two of each coin in uncirculated and proof to give to the grandkids when they are older. Still in sealed boxes so one day when I am feeling lucky and have nothing better to do I will open them up.. They will take up less space in the OGP anyway. :|

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

Last coins in this 2023 series coming out next week. Ordered a PR 70 set for myself. I cancelled the two raw sets for the grand kids because of the cost.

• Options
    D808LFD808LF Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭✭

My card got pinged. Ugh.

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• Options
    SilverPlatinumSilverPlatinum Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2023 1:50PM

Cancel

• Options

Remember
    The mint is like a box of Chocolates
    You never know what you will get.
    😁😁😁

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2023 10:39PM

On the other thread, apparently some are reporting that their RP sets have already shipped and that they have tracking numbers in hand!

Strange things happening indeed!

• Options

Also Pinehurst offering NGC 70 sets in free 10 coin box for $299.99
    They must have many sets they know are or will be 70s

• Options
    edited November 12, 2023 1:23PM

how happy were you with the 2023 offerings? Looks ? Ordering ? Quality? Will you buy the 2024 coins ?

I sold all of my 2021 coins to a forum member and decided to buy a slabbed 70 of each coin for myself this year along with a couple of each from the mint for the grandkids. I will not be buying any of the 2024s. I liked the look of the coins and was happy with the quality of the coins I received.

• Options
    alangloialangloi Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

Now that the mint is making Peace/Morgan dollars at the San Fransisco mint, should we anticipate that Peace/Morgan dollars will be minted at the West Point mint (with a "W" mint mark) in the near future? :smile:

• Options

Any variations or errors showing up on the Reverse Proofs yet ?

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pardon me, but I'm cross posting this here (also in the RP thread)

Updated data through 11/29/2023:
    Mint sales

Percent of mint sales graded by PCGS and NGC, the the percent of mint sales now in PCGS and NGC 70 holders

Rate of 70 for PCGS, NGC, and combined....overall....by label category...and new to this report, just base label rate of 70s

Still a bit early on the RPs, since the rate of 70 is still dominated by big boy submissions. That said, it is looking like the RP Morgan will have a lower rate of 70 than the RP Peace. Also, somewhat telling, given the predomininance of FDOI and AR submissions (with minimum grade 70 requests), is that total graded RP Peace $s is significantly exceeding the total graded RP Morgans. One possible explanation is that the big boy submissions had more Morgans returned not graded because they did not grade out 70.

PCGS and NGC unc and proof FDOI and AR type label populations are now static. PCGS First Strike unc and proof populations are now static (and will remain static except for the unopened mint shipping boxes that are on the sidelines). This means that grading populations for PCGS uncs and proofs will effectively only change due to base label submisssions....have a look at those rates of 70.

Overall 70 rates will trickle down over time with base label submissions garnering a lower rate of 70 in general.

Expect the Peace proofs to be the hardest to get in 70 (withholding judgement on the Morgan RP at this point). That said, the Peace proof are not expected to end up with lower rate of 70s than the 2021-D Morgan, and likely not lower than the 2021 Peace or 2021-O Morgan. (see current rates of 70 for the 2021 issues below)

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options

Still waiting for a Christmas sale of all those returned and unsold reverse proof sets.

• Options

Just saw that Rick fella on RareCollectiblesTV pitching a six coin set of these. 2 proof, 2 reverse proof and 2 mint state, all in Proof 70 PCGS slabs for the low, low price of only $1,395.00 + shipping.

• Options

They have been running that prerecorded infomercial for weeks. They either have lots of sets, nobody is buying them or nobody is watching it. :|

• Options

Is it time to stick a fork in it yet ? :#

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

@HATTRICK said:
    They have been running that prerecorded infomercial for weeks. They either have lots of sets, nobody is buying them or nobody is watching it. :|

We'll have to wait until we get an official word from NJCoin on the matter...

o:)

BST references available on request

• Options
    edited January 6, 2024 9:56PM

@HoneyMarket said:

@HATTRICK said:

We'll have to wait until we get an official word from NJCoin on the matter...

o:)

😂 It's TV, so I'm not sure what anyone is expecting. Their marketing costs are high, and their target audience is not us, so you're never going to see deals there.

OTOH, they aren't stupid, and they seem to do very well for themselves. If those sets weren't selling, they'd replace the ads with something else and wholesale out the coins.

So, I'm confident they are hitting their targets on sales, and that people are indeed watching. That TV time, and production costs, aren't cheap, and they have an infinite variety of things they could be offering if 2023 Morgan and Peace Dollar sets were not making them money. Or, they could just pull the ads altogether and go back to selling exclusively on the internet, Coin World, shows, etc. like everyone else.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the mint needs to go back to the olden days (1970s/1980s) when they put brochures in banks and post offices for things like the new Ike dollar, Bicentennial coins, and GSA dollars.

I tnink the audience for first-run offerings needs to be expanded.

• Options

Proofs still on sale at the mint. How long do you think they will last before the mint stops trying to sell them?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Maybe the mint needs to go back to the olden days (1970s/1980s) when they put brochures in banks and post offices for things like the new Ike dollar, Bicentennial coins, and GSA dollars.

I tnink the audience for first-run offerings needs to be expanded.

In the "olden days", people actually went to the bank. Banks are generally ghost towns these days due to online banking.

Even the post office has much less traffic due to online postage. I ship 2-3,000 packages per year and rarely actually go in to the clerks. I print the postage online and drop it in the package drop.

• Options
    edited February 8, 2024 10:05AM

@HATTRICK said:
    Proofs still on sale at the mint. How long do you think they will last before the mint stops trying to sell them?

"Trying to sell them" is probably overstating the case. They could sell them out instantly if they dropped the price, even a little. More like they are making them available for sale in case anyone still wants them.

And the answer is, a long, long time. I just tried to go onto the website to see how far back proof sets or American Eagle coins are still available, but there is apparently a 10 minute wait in connection with the Britannia and Liberty coin and medal release everyone has been pooping on, so I can't get in right now. 😀

Edit: The Mint waiting room certainly cleared very quickly, so maybe everyone pooping on the new release was right! 😂 Anyway, certain proof sets going back to 2019 are still available, so there is no reason to think the Mint will melt anything down or pull anything in the foreseeable future.

• Options
    oilers99oilers99 Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

The Mint booth at the Long Beach coin show had the 2 coin Reverse Proof set for sale.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file